Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm BACK! I missed this story and all of you. I tried to make it a little longer. 

Here are some visuals for this chapter:

Kay's Outfit: 

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/DramaQueenAmby/Never%20Let%20Me%20Go/3047564325_1_3_lM8CMsEL_zps9298c2fc.jpg

Maya's Outfit:

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/DramaQueenAmby/Never%20Let%20Me%20Go/7a9a_Meagan-Good-NBC-Newswire_zps5a78776e.png

Arianna's Outfit: 

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/DramaQueenAmby/Never%20Let%20Me%20Go/tumblr_mj0owgwzPT1rlcnywo1_1280_zpsbbc7a1f3.jpg

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 "Kay! Where the hell did you put my waver?!"

"Aria! Can I borrow your black peep toes?!?!"

"Okay, which one of you bitches took my goddamn MAC brushes?!"

That's only a small sample of the chaos that's currently ensuing as the three of us try to get ready. Truth be told, I really don't want to go to this damn dinner, but I feel obligated. I did say that I would go along with the "plan," and, well, I stay true to my word.

"What do you think his parents are like?" I question quietly, flat ironing a section of my dyed hair.

Maya and Kay pause momentarily from applying their make-up and glance at me, each other, and then at me again.

"Rich," they answer bluntly.

Maya laughs softly as I throw a hair clip at the two of them. "We're just messing with you Arianna. I'm sure they're nice people."

"She's right," Kay adds. "I mean, Colin seems like a decent enough guy. The apple must not have fallen far from the tree."

"What are you more worried about?" Maya interrogates, applying her mascara. "Whether they're nice people or whether they'll like you or not?"

Shit. I hate how she's so good at reading me.

"Shouldn't she want them to like her though?" Thank you Kay. "I mean, whether or not this whole ordeal is a sham, she should still want to make a good impression."

Kay-1

Maya-0

"Thank you Kaydence," I smile, ignoring Maya's glare.

"No problem girl," she returns my smile. "So when are you going to hook a sister up?"

Dammit. I should've known she had an ulterior motive.

"1. You're not black Kay, therefore, you are not a 'sister'. Preferring black men does not automatically make you black. 3. I haven't even met anyone besides Derrick, who clearly has a thing for Maya-"

"Do not put my name in the same sentence with that.....thing, in there," Maya spurns. "Plus, I don't even find him attractive, and his ego is too much for me. She can have him."

"Ya know, Derrick's really not that bad once you get to know him Maya," I sigh. "And you're crazy if you don't find him, not even the least bit attractive."

"So I'm crazy for not finding an arrogant, egotistical, typical celebrity athlete attractive? But you're completely sane for meeting, screwing, and marrying a complete stranger in less than 24 hours?" She finishes by sucking her teeth. "Nice logic Aria."

Rolling my eyes, I finally finish my hair and switch off the flat iron. "How many times do I have to reiterate that I was drunk as hell? And not that it's any of your damn business, but we didn't even have sex." I finish with a blush.

Both of their jaws drop, but Kay is the first to speak.

"What do you mean you didn't have sex?" She looks as if I've just told her that I turned down a million dollars. "You turned down Colin freaking Kaeperdick."

Maya rolls her eyes, "Kaeperdick? Really Kaydence?"

"Hey, from what I heard, brother knows how to put it down."

My mouth forms into a grimace, "How-never mind. I don't even want to know." Something she says catches my attention. "Wait, he's black?"

She gives me a 'really' look. "Yeah. Well, he's half. His dad is black and his mom is white. But he's-"

"Adopted," I finish for her. "Yeah, he told me."

Cue the awkward silence.

"I'll be right back," Kay breaks the silence. Maya and I look her up and down, mostly because she's dressed in only her bra and underwear.

"You're not going out there by them...are you?" I don't even know why I'm bothering to ask considering I already know the answer.

"Obviously."

Maya sighs, finishing her make-up. "Why?"

A beat.

"I forgot something?" It's a question, not an answer. "Look! I'll be right back!" She exits the room.

Maya and I sit in silence, both of us invested in our own thoughts. Most of mine revolve around everything that's happened in just 24 hours. This is insane. It's madness!

"What am I doing Maya?" I groan, grabbing a random make-up item and applying it liberally to my eyelids.

"Using lipstick as eye liner," she answers plainly, chucking slightly.

"Shit!" Throwing down the red lipstick, I grab tissue and start running furiously at my eyes.

"Stop it Arianna," Maya says sternly, snatching the tissue from me. "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm a freaking idiot. That's what's wrong with me."

She sighs, "Why?"

"For getting myself into this mess in the first place," I moan, as she starts cleaning my eyes. "I don't want to be married. I don't want to meet his parents. And I sure as hell don't want to move in with him! I don't want any of this." She doesn't say anything. "Maya?"

"Why are you being so damn selfish?"

 Wait. What?

"Selfish?" I question, gesturing to myself. "How the hell am I being selfish?"

"Is your career on the line? Is your public image at stake? Do you have people constantly following your every whereabouts? No. You know who does though? Colin. He's the one with everything at risk right now. Not to mention, he's putting his trust into a complete and total stranger. It's nothing for you to Google him and look up any pertinent information, but he can't do the same with you. He doesn't know anything about you, yet he trusts you to put up this facade. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be scared, but put yourself in Colin's shoes and try to imagine what he's going through right now."

She's right. She's completely and totally right. I am being selfish. I don't know what's getting to me. Where the hell is my composure? I'm acting like some teenage fan girl.

"You're right," I sigh, defeat and acceptance lacing my voice.

"As usual," she smirks, finishing my eyes. She drops the smug expression, "They're going to love you Arianna."

"Sure they will," I mutter, rolling my eyes. "Enough of this sentimental and lecturing crap. Help me find something to wear."

A broad smile appears on her face, "I thought you'd never ask."

ooooooo000oooooooo

"I look like a banana," I complain, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You look nice and sophisticated," Maya corrects, leaning over my shoulder.

"A nice and sophisticated banana," Kay snorts, putting the final touches on her hair.

"See!" I whine. "I should change."

"You're seriously taking advice from the head hoe herself?"

"I'd rather be a hoe than a condescending and conceited bitch," Kay shoots back.

"It's called having morals, if you even know what morals means."

"I swear, if you guys don't cut this shit out now." I warn, feeling a headache coming on. For the most part, the three of us get along just fine. We practically all grew up together. However, Kay and Maya tend to have their moments. One of which, is about to commence. Unfortunately, for them though, I'm not in the mood for their childish bickering. "I need the two of you to be there for me tonight. Meaning, I don't want any drama. This dinner needs to go smooth and, if even possible, perfect. So please, don't embarrass me. Okay?"

Two, muttered, and low "fines" are the only response I get from the two of them.

Shaking my head, I grab my clutch off the dresser and head for the door. I hear sighing and mumbling from behind, but I don't even bother to acknowledge them.

Upon entering the living room, I find Derrick relaxing on our sofa, with his feet on the coffee table.

"Have you no manners?" Maya scoffs, approaching him with a stern expression. "Feet off the table."

He ignores her command, but lets his eyes roam her from head to toe.

"Did you hear what I said?" She repeats, growing more and more irritated by his lack of cooperation.

"Oh, I heard you." He answers with annoyance.

"Well then, move your damn feet!" She shouts, trying control her temper.

He simply smiles with amusement, "You're even prettier when you're angry, ya know that?"

"I'm not angry," she closes her eyes and speaks through clenched teeth.

Derrick cocks his head to the side, "Ya sure? You seem a little....on edge."

"If I am, it's because of your irritating ass."

"So much hostility," he shakes his head, and finally removes his feet from off the table. Standing up, he looks down at her, "I could help you get rid of that. Easily."

Her eyes narrow, as she raises her hands as if to strike him, but she drops them back down. "You know what? I'm above this. I refuse to let your juvenile antics get to me." She turns towards me, "I'll be waiting in the car. Kay can get the address. Aria you can just ride with the guys." Without even giving me a chance to respond, she grabs the keys to our car and forces the door open. When she does, an apparently pissed off Colin is waiting outside. "Your wifey is ready." She says to him, before brushing shoulders and walking past him.

He shakes his head in confusion and walk in, closing the door behind him, "What's wrong her?"

"Ask your friend," I gesture to Derrick who's currently conversing with Kay. I hope that she's getting the address and not his number with her thirsty behind. Although I'm curious as to what they're discussing, the distressed look on Colin's face is drawing my attention.

Crossing my arms, I walk up to him, "Are you okay?"

He looks down at me with uncertainty and hesitation, almost as if he wishes to tell me something, but is unsure if he should or not.

"Yeah," he answers, after a minute or so. "I'm fine."

Lies. He's lying. I can see it, even with the poker face he's trying to put up. It's a good one though. I'll give him that.

"Okay," is my only reply, because I can sense he wants to drop the conversation altogether. Turning back around, I see Derrick and Kay are ready to leave.

"Derricks riding with Maya and me," she says with elation.

"What?" I question, while my eyes widen. "I don't think Maya will be too thrilled about that."

"She'll get over it," Kay waves off my concerns, as she and Derrick head out the door. He moves out the way to let her exit first. His eyes remain glued to her switching hips as she exits. Licking his lips, he flashes up the ‘deuces' before closing the door.

I feel Colin's eyes on me, but I refuse to meet his gaze. I decide to head towards the kitchen. Grabbing my cell phone, I throw it in my purse, and rearrange some items. "Okay, I'm ready when-" Looking up, I see he's not even listening to me, and is clearly in deep thought about something.

"Hey...." I touch his arm, causing him to look at me. "Whatever's bothering you, and don't tell me nothing is, because I see right through that lie, you can talk to me about it. You can talk to me, ya know. I mean, we are married after all..."

He chuckles softly at my weak attempt of a joke, before walking over and sitting on the sofa. 

"My mother is going to be there."

Okay, what?

"Oh," I say blankly, going to sit by him. "I thought you wanted me to meet your mother, both your parents."

"I mean my birth mother is going to be there," He corrects, placing his head in his hands.

"You've never met her before......have you?" I question, but it sounds more like a statement. Silent. "Damn." A beat. "I don't understand though, if you've never met her, why is she even going to be there?"

"My parents have maintained an on and off relationship with her all these years. I've never desired to meet her though. We would message each other on MySpace when I was in college, but I cut off contact with her after a....disagreement, if you will. Soon after I got signed, she became more interested in meeting me."

"Of course," I scoff, shaking my head. "Sorry. Continue."

He flashes a small smile. Damn, this man really does have an alluring presence about him. "Apparently, my parents invited her over for dinner tonight, since they weren't exactly expecting me."

Sighing heavily, I take a few seconds to think about what I want to say. "Well, I can understand your hesitation, especially since it seems she's only after the NFL star Colin Kaepernick, instead of just her son Colin. But I also don't see the harm in just meeting the woman. You don't have to start a relationship with her. She is your mother after all..."

He looks at me with annoyance and scoffs bitterly, before staring straight ahead, "I knew you wouldn't understand."

Rolling my eyes, I bite my tongue and ignore his snide comment, "What was the disagreement about?"

A beat.

"My birth father," he answers quietly. "She knows exactly who and where he is, but refuses to tell me."

"Bitch," I mutter, covering my mouth when I realize what I've said. "I mean-"

"You're fine," he laughs, leaning back against the sofa.

"I can't tell you what to do Colin, because the choice is really up to you. What I will say is this: Since it seems like your mother is only out to use you or to gain a profit, why not do the same with her?"

He looks at me questionably, "I'm listening."

"Play her game. Make her think you're willing to accept her into your life, just long enough for her to tell you what you want to know about your father."

"Interesting," A beat. "It's a little....vindictive though, don't you think?"

"Maybe," I shrug, leaning back, turning sideways to face him. "But if it works, isn't it worth it?" No response. "I know if it was me in your situation, and I had even the slightest opportunity to find out who or even where my father is, I'd do whatever it takes."

He looks at me for a few seconds before asking a question I wasn't expecting, "What about your mother?"

Shit. Why did he have to go there?

"What about her?" I answer tersely.

He's unaffected by the change in my voice, "If you had the opportunity to meet her, would you?"

Dammit. We were having such a nice conversation and he had to go and ruin it. Fuck. No, fuck him. Wait. Why are my eyes watering? Damn you emotions! I refuse to let him see me cry. No, I'm stronger than that.

"We should get going," my voice comes out much weaker than I expected. Rising up off the sofa, I don't bother to look at him, but he grabs my arm. Sighing, I turn back around and drag my gaze to the ground. "What?"

Standing up, he places his index finger under my chin and forces me to look at him, "Ya know," his other hand plays with my hair. "That thing you said about being able to talk to you; it goes both ways." I can't bring myself to break our eye contact. The sincerity and honesty in his voice genuinely shock me. "Thanks for listening," he says softly, placing a chaste kiss on my forehead. Walking past me, he heads out the door leaving me to my many, many, conflicting thoughts.

 






Chapter End Notes:

As always.....

Thoughts?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.