Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Aubrey  Mary




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


       Antonio entered the bedroom, seeing Aubrey's still form buried within the sheets. Last night, it had taken hours for her to finally fall asleep. He had carried her into the bedroom after she silently sat with him, flipping through the different late night channels on TV. He had tried once again to get an understanding on the fear he could feel when they had returned to his apartment. He was left uneasy the entire night, trying to figure out what must have happened to her that she wasn't telling him. If there was one thing he wanted, it was her trust. Antonio needed Aubrey to know that he was here for her, whether she wanted to believe it or not and to know that he was on her team, and would do anything for her in her best interest.

    On light feet, he slowly walked over to the side of the bed, peering down into her face that seemed hard even in her sleep. Shaking his head, he began to get ready for his day. It was Friday, the last day of the week, and if he could make it through today and back home, he would be able to breathe some sort of relief.

   A half hour later, Antonio was pulling on his shoes when he heard a clatter in the kitchen. There were only supposed to be two people in the apartment, and both of them were accounted for as he looked over to Aubrey's sleeping form. Rising to his feet, his body tensed as he went to investigate the mysterious noises.

   The sight of Mary riffling through brown grocery bags took Antonio's protective instinct off of high alert.

   "Mom?"

   Whipping her head around in surprise, Mary gasped at the sound of company, but soon smiled upon seeing her son.

   "I heard you in the shower, I thought I would have time to get things finished before you came out, but it looks like I've forgotten the milk for the pancakes." Placing her hands on her hips, she opened his refrigerator," You wouldn't happen to have any, would you?"

    "What are you doing here?" Antonio pushed his hands in his pockets as he walked towards his mother. His eyes couldn't believe what he saw as she began mixing the batter and pouring nearly perfect sized pancakes into the waiting pan.

   "I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question dear." She laughed as she moved past him, opening his cabinets for plates. "Get some cups down and pour the orange juice please. Everything should be just about ready."

   "I can't do this right now; I have to be at work. Which is where you should be too if I'm not mistaken." Tilting his head in her direction, he watched as Mary shrugged her shoulders.

   "I took a day off."

   "You what?"

   "Every once in a while I do need a break from things Antonio."

    "You've never taken a day off in your life, mom."

    "Which is why I say every once in a while ." Waving the spatula in his direction, Mary went to flip the last of her pancakes as she carried them off to the small table Antonio had.

   "Now pour those drinks like I asked."

   "This is all lovely, but I have to get going. I don't know why you're doing this, and better yet how did you get in here?" Antonio began looking for his keys before stopping and asking the question.

   Mary shook her head as she pulled out three glasses, and began filling them. Moving to Antonio's side, she took the keys from his hands and placed them in her own pockets as she directed him to a chair.

    "Sit Antonio. You are eating breakfast with us today, and I'm not taking no for an answer."Antonio's eyebrow peaked at the mention of us, and it was then that he noticed the slight nervousness his mother had as he followed her hands as they prepared a picture perfect plate. She wiped residue off, made sure everything was perfect before glancing up at Antonio.

   "Do you think Aubrey likes these kinds of things? I tried to make a little bit of everything; I wasn't entirely sure what I should do." Not wanting his mother to get her feelings hurt, he began explaining why this may have not been such a good idea.

   "Aubrey doesn't really eat breakfast, mom."

   "She has to eat something after last night. I was worried sick, and didn't know what to do with myself. I want her to eat something well this morning."

    "I'm telling you, I don't think that's going to happen. After last night, she's-"

    Antonio ceased his words noticing his mother no longer paying him any attention. She stood ramrod straight as she watched Aubrey take slow and measured steps towards them.

   Aubrey came to a stop as all eyes were on her. She saw Antonio stand to his feet out the corner of her eye, but she couldn't take her eyes off of Mary's that seemed to glisten as they stared her down.

   "How are you feeling?" The light hold on her elbow drew her attention back to him as he asked her the question. Shaking her head, she was unable to speak, but still managed to get the point across as Antonio nodded in return.

   Both turned to Mary who began to speak.

   "I've made you two some breakfast. I'm not the best cook, but I hope that it will still be passable." Mary wrung her hands in front of her as she pulled out a seat to a reluctant Aubrey. She looked to Antonio for a split second before giving Mary a once over. She was dressed down, yet still gave off an aura of grace as she waited patiently for Aubrey to make a move. There was a moment of contemplation as Aubrey thought of what to do. The thought of Stefan raced to her mind, and she suddenly felt uncomfortable in his wife's presence.

   "Mom, maybe I'll help you wrap this up; right now may not be a good time." Antonio saw the ashen look on Aubrey's face as he tried to reason with his mother.

   "But, I just wanted us to finally have a meal together. There's still enough time before you have to go to work."

   "No, I have to leave now, and Aubrey isn't feeling too well. Maybe we can take a shot at this another time." Aubrey waited as Antonio reached out to his mother, taking her hands in his as she looked disappointed. Looking at the table, she saw that the older woman had cooked enough for ten people, and could still see the steam rising from the food as it sat rejected. It began to remind her of all the mornings she would race past her mother, not sparing a second thought to the effort and time put in to cook her a breakfast every morning. There was never a day that she didn't have a spread waiting for Aubrey, and never a day that Aubrey actually took advantage of them.

   That's what Mary was doing now. She was offering one of the most intimate and meaningful settings for the two of them, and here they were being unappreciative.

    Moving to take a seat, Aubrey began to eat quietly as Mary and Antonio's voices slowed to a halt. Looking to her son with hope as she too took a seat next to Aubrey.

    "Guys, I can't stay-"

   "You won't always get to eat your mom's cooking; you should take the chance now. It's really delicious too." Aubrey said quietly as she looked to Mary, giving her the compliment. Her throat became tight as she held her fork tightly in one hand as she looked to Antonio.

   "I wish I had when my mom was still around." Slowly lowering himself, Antonio took a seat at the sound of her regretful words. He didn't give in to the urge to check his watch as he joined in the others in eating.

oOo

    "I had to stop having cakes in the house, I'd wake up in the morning and there was Antonio with his face covered in icing. I still think that's why he never eats so early, he ruined his appetite forever with sweets."

    "I still can't look at a chocolate cake the same." Antonio laughed as he sipped the last of his orange juice.

    "I told Natalia to choose a different kind for tomorrow, but knowing her she'll still get a chocolate cake to spite me." Mary playful rolled her eyes as she focused on Aubrey. "I think we'll be having a nice time tomorrow, just like today, don't you think?"

  Aubrey's smile dropped as she looked reticent." I'm not going to be here, I have an early flight back home actually." Aubrey wondered why she felt guilty for being the reason for putting the frown on Mary's face that spoke of her confusion.

   "What do you mean? You're coming to the party too. Isn't she coming Antonio?" Mary looked to her son for him to hope in the conversation.

   "Aubrey wishes to go back to Texas. She won't be able to stay for the party, I'm afraid."

   "Wishes? You make it sound like I have a choice. That's what I am going to do."

    "Of course you have a choice; you refuse to acknowledge it."

     "Are you serious right now?" Aubrey shot Antonio a gaze that he mirrored. A raised eyebrow and flame growing in their eyes.

   "Oh, that's ridiculous. Why would she go back? She's here now. Aubrey, dear, if you're afraid of it being a bit strange, don't worry. You won't be the cause of it; this entire family is strange." Mary's hand went to hold Aubrey's tightly, trying to convince the girl to change her mind.

  Turning back to Mary, Aubrey felt her combative mode recede as she saw the worry cloaking her face.  "It's not that. I already had this planned. School will be starting in a few weeks; I just took this as a small trip for the summer."

    "Where is your mother in all of this? Surely we all need to sit down and have a heart to heart about everything. " Mary became exasperated as she flattened her palms against the table."She's your daughter for Christ's sake, why would you let her slip away like that?" Mary felt her ire grow as Antonio became the receiver of her anger.

    The table became silent as both Aubrey and Antonio looked to one another, wondering who was going to be the one to break the news.

   "Well-"

   "Her mother is no longer around, mom." Mary studied her son closely as disbelief rose in the form of a scoff of anger.

   "She's abandoned her child? How on earth could she do that? Is that what this is? In that case I'm not going to stand idle and allow Aubrey to go off to God knows where-"

   "She passed away mom. She didn't abandon her." Like that, Mary crumbled back into her seat as she had begun to stand enraged by her assumptions. Her quiet words of surprise and embarrassment were the only things heard. She looked to Aubrey, prepared to apologize for ignorance of the situation as the young girl held her head to her chest.

     "My God, I-I didn't know. Aubrey , I didn't know sweetheart." Covering her mouth with a shaky hand, Mary debated internally on whether or not she should be reaching for Aubrey's hand, but it was too late as her palm met Aubrey's fingers. She half expected the girl to pull away in disgust, but was proven wrong as a light squeeze to her hand disappeared as fast as it came. Aubrey drew her eyes to Mary's withdrawing her hand slowly so as not to show offense.

   "It's okay. I don't expect you to know something like that when we've just met."Nodding with a tight grin, Aubrey stood to her feet along with her plate.

    "I can wash these off. You made such a great breakfast, it's the least I could do."

    Aubrey went on to pile their plates as well against their protests, and quickly went to the sink, drowning out any noises around her as clattered the dishes around.

   Mary was finally left alone with Antonio, her heart sunken as she looked at the whirlwind of emotion lying behind his eyes.

   "I don't know what to do. I don't know if she has a legal guardian or anything-how could I stop her if she did?" He found himself undoing the hairstyle he had meticulously made just earlier as his hand curled around his weft of hair.

    "There has to be a way. She's a minor, there's no way she's just walking around with an adult taking care of her."

    "She hasn't spoken of anyone to me. We don't have time before tomorrow comes and goes." Leaning closer into his mother as Aubrey began making her way back; he spoke quickly and in a hushed tone. "I'm her dad but what the hell does that mean if I've only known her for a week?"

     Aubrey came back cautiously, hands clasped before her as she gestured to Mary. "Thank you again for the meal. I don't think I've eaten anything that good all week."

    Mary's gaze lingered on Antonio as she silently began to think of the fact that he hadn't really taken the time to consider how he would handle Aubrey possibly leaving. He could tell her that she can't leave until he was blue in the face, but that wasn't much action on his part.

    "Hey, it's getting late. Shouldn't you be going now?" Aubrey called attention to the time that was slipping away, and Antonio stood to his feet in agreement.

   "Yes, I'm afraid I did keep you a bit longer than I intended."Mary walked behind Antonio as he grabbed his keys, and headed for the front door. He pulled it open before stopping, turning around to face the two women in his apartment.

   "Mom..." He didn't finish his thought as Mary leaned forward, placing a kiss upon his cheek before whispering in his ear.

   "She'll be here with us tomorrow. I promise you that." Steadying herself on her heels, she patted Antonio's chest as she fixed his tie. "You go on and have a good day at work. Aubrey and I will be having ourselves a girl's day out."

    Aubrey's eyes widened at her mention, and she soon began stammering as Mary pushed an equally surprised Antonio out of the door. Shutting it tightly, she was met by a scowling Aubrey who relaxed her face into a less tormented expression.

   "Mrs. Russo. I'm sure you have better things to do today."

   "None of that Mrs. Russo crap. Just call me Nana." Mary was extending her own version of a peace offering to Aubrey by suggesting the same title her other two grandchildren had given her. Aubrey became tense and guarded as she stared blankly at Mary.

   "Mrs. Russo, I don't think that's going to work." Her voice was leveled and almost gravely as her stare fell to her hands before looking back at the woman before her.

   Pursing her lips together, Mary sighed. "At least call me Mary." She spoke softly. A flick of Aubrey's head told her that she would settle for that at the most.

   Walking over to the gray sofa, Aubrey sat down in silence. Twiddling her thumbs as she waited for something else to unfold to mask the uneasiness she felt.

    "I was thinking that we could get to know each other a little better today. Do something together. Would you like that?"

    Glancing over her shoulder, Aubrey gave a weak smile.

    "I don't really have the desire for anything."

    "Really? Nothing at all? Surely there is something you would like to do...since...you are leaving in the morning." From the sound of Mary's voice, she could hear the air quotes and doubt around the word leaving as she spoke. Aubrey rolled her eyes and drew one corner of her mouth down, resisting the urge to smack her teeth.

    "Yes, well, since I am leaving, I just thought I would chill for the remainder of the day. I believe I've seen and done all that I came here to do." Her smile was terse as she stood back up, walking around the back of the couch.

   "But there is something that I would like to do for someone else." She cleared her throat as she cracked her fingers. "I wanted to get Antonio a gift-you know for his birthday and all-since I won't be here for his party."  Aubrey had tried searching for one before, but failed miserably. What better person to ask for help than his own mother?

    "Well, don't stand around. Go and get cleaned up and I'll make sure you get him something that would really leave an impression on him." Mary waved Aubrey to the bedroom door as she complied.

   Shaking her head as she heard the shower running, Mary knew that she was going to have to get inside of Aubrey's mind. She had to get rid of this notion that she would allow her to return to her old life as an orphaned child.

oOo

    "What about this one?"

    "Too showy. Antonio likes to look nice, but that's just too much."

   Aubrey huffed as she placed back the twelfth shirt she had chosen in hopes of getting Mary's approval. Mary would give her selections mixed reviews-a healthy balance of some good, and some bad. No matter what she said or if she agreed with Aubrey, it would be tossed back in an instant as Aubrey felt like nothing seemed good enough. At this point, she was tempted to just pick up a nice hallmark card and call it a day. It seemed that Mary was making what seemed to be a simple task much more difficult than Aubrey thought it needed to be.

    "This is the fifth store. If we haven't found anything by now, I guess I'll just get him a fancy card that sings a song."

   "You can't give up now just because you gotten what you wanted right away."

   "I'm not a shopper Mary. I hate this kinda stuff."  Aubrey threw her arms over a clothes rack, receiving a glare from a hardnosed employer watching her from the front of the store.

   "You just need to be patient."

   "Going to a thousand different places and literally looking at everything sounds plenty enough patient to me." Aubrey looked exasperated while Mary seemed amused. She watched her with her arms crossed and a smile on her lips.

    "Don't be ridiculous. It's only been five. You could give Natalia a run for her money when it comes to being a diva." Mary's smile brightened at Aubrey's reddened frown.

    "It's true. If you got to know her, and got past the rough exterior, you'd see what I mean."

   "I don't think there's anything much left to her that I don't already know about." She mumbled, twisting the sleeve of another shirt. Looking up, she saw the salesperson making their way slowly but surely to investigate what she was doing. "No offense. She's your daughter and all..."

   "None taken, sweetheart." Linking her arm in the crook of Aubrey's, Mary began to lead her to the exit, off to another store where they would have better luck. At the first three stops, Aubrey had been timid and avoidant of any contact whether it be an accidental bump or a touch to the shoulder. Somewhere along the lines, she seemed to have forgotten about her wariness as she allowed Mary to get so close in that moment. If she didn't think her mind was playing tricks on her, Mary would even say that she felt Aubrey lean into her as they walked to her car.

     "I don't want to waste anymore of your time. You can just take me back to Antonio's. Maybe he'll understand if I can't get him anything special." Mary glanced to her as Aubrey stared out of the passenger window.

    "As soon as you think something is going to work, you're quick to give up on it."

    "Excuse me?" Aubrey wasn't sure she had heard right as Mary kept her eyes on the road.

    "You heard me. You give up at the first bad sign."

    "I'm not giving up, I just can't find anything. There's a difference."

    "You're not willing to put enough thought behind anything. You go off of initial wind; that's going to catch up with you one day."

    "I am thinking about it."

     "You're not considering all sides; you are only looking for one in particular. Does it look good to me? You have to think about the present itself. What does it mean? What does it represent? Is it special? You'll be giving this to someone who I'm sure you want nothing but the best for. If you don't like it, you don't want it. If you feel like it's not worthy, then it's not worth it. It's not always like that. Your father may see what you think as something stupid or forgettable as the best thing in the world..."

    Aubrey narrowed her eyes as Mary took her eyes off of the road.

   "Gifts show how much you care and appreciate a loved one. Now, I know that buying a birthday gift can be tricky if it is for a picky person. But that's not Antonio. I'm sure that whatever you give-or have given him is something that he is sure to love."

     Aubrey could feel goosebumps form on her arms as she turned away. "I was just talking about a present..." She said to herself. She ran her finger up and down the door panel, sneaking glances here and there to Mary.

    "I think I'm done."

    "What? Already? But we haven't found anything yet."

   "I don't feel so well. I'd just like to go back and rest. Take a nap or something." Aubrey saw the hesitation in Mary's face as she looked at her in shock.

   "But we still have the entire day. If you're feeling sick, then maybe I can pick something up for you-"

   "Please?" Aubrey's voice was stern as she made her plead. "Maybe I'll write him a note or something. I just don't think I can find anything. You're right though, gifts are supposed to be special and mean something...but I don't think I can find one like that this late. So, please, just take me back."

    Mary opened her mouth, ready to speak when the sound of her Bluetooth picked up throughout the car. Pressing the button on her steering wheel, she let out a heavy breath at the sight her husband's name showed on her dashboard, identifying the person on the other line.

   Aubrey's throat tightened when she saw the name and the way Mary contemplated answering his call before she reluctantly picked up.

    "How can I help you?"

   "I remember the days when you would answer my calls with love, Mary Sue."

   "Don't bullshit with me Stefan. Those days are long gone. Shall I repeat my question?"

   "My memory isn't gone just yet, no need to. I guess I must have caught you at a bad time?"

   "Yes, in fact you have. I am quite busy at the moment-"

    "Ah, that's right. You took a day off. Tell me, what was so pressing that it called for playing hooky?" Stefan's voice oozed with sarcasm as he spoke over the loud speaker. Mary's face grimaced as she placed her elbow on the window frame, leaning into her hand.

   "Should you be enjoying your lunch of some young slut right now? I've never known you to skip out on such an important meal of the day."

   "So you do pay attention to me? Sadly, my order hasn't arrived just yet, hence why I decided to give my wife a call. Not often that we share these kinds of moments any longer."

    "And let's make sure we never do again. Goodbye Stefan. I have no time for your foolishness." With that, Mary ended the call with a frustrated sigh that she made sure to only release when the coast was clear of Stefan possibly hearing how much he irritated her. She knew he got a kick out of it, and would never entertain him with letting him witness his effects.

    "I haven't received a personal call like that in fifteen years. Let me tell you now, Aubrey: if you decide to marry someone with a bit of money to their name, make sure they're old enough to die before you force yourself to suffer through a lifelong marriage with them." The disgust for her bound partner for life was evident all over Mary's face, and Aubrey had a firsthand account on why that may be. She just couldn't see how a woman like her would settle for a lesser man like that.

    He was an asshole. He was a cheater. He was a pervert.

    It couldn't get any worse than that. Aubrey began to wonder just how much of her soul she didn't sale away to be doomed with Stefan for a husband and what parts didn't lie afloat in booze.

    "Otherwise you'll find ways to drown out every nook and cranny they weasel their way into." Mary's face was drawn in consternation as she ran her fingers through her hair. Aubrey could hear her faint counting as she tried to calm herself.

    She remained silent, unsure of what could even be uttered in the moment before Mary asked a favor of her.

   "Depends on the request...." The woman looked worn out and desperate for whatever she planned on asking.

   "I know you said you wanted to return to that stuffy old apartment, but would you join me for lunch?"

   "Mary-"

    "It's just that with you leaving, I may never get this chance again. You're such a beautiful young girl and I'm so happy that you're my grand-that I have gotten the chance to meet you although I feel as if it is ending too soon. Please?" Tugging at her earlobe, Aubrey sighed. The woman was good at guilt tripping, and Aubrey felt the need to not leave her alone just yet.

    "I guess I can do that."

    "Wonderful! Thank you, thank you so much." Mary's hand went to Aubrey's forearm, squeezing it to show her gratitude.

  Running her hands over her head, Aubrey brought her hair into her face, curtaining it as she slid into her seat with a disgruntled moan.

   "Oh, it won't be that bad. Cheer up." Mary laughed at her display.

    Aubrey could punch herself in the face right then. She wasn't helping her case by prolonged exposure to the Russos; and it seemed that her sense was thrown out in her last minute decisions to appease the woman.

oOo

   Mary opened her front door, quietness meeting her in greeting as she walked down the long halls of her home. Rubbing her neck, she stumbled upon an irate Natalia berating someone on the phone.

   "No, that's not what we agreed on. What? Yes, there was an agreement. Forcing you? You think I'm-yeah you're fucking right I'm forcing you. If you don't have this done by tomorrow then it will be your ass." She listened in on Natalia's sickening laugh as her voice was brought down an octave."You can call whoever you want, my best bet is I already have them in my pocket. So go on with your useless threats. Have it done by tomorrow. No questions asked."

     Natalia tossed her phone on to the other side of the leather couch when she heard the settling footsteps of her mother. She sat ith her legs crossed, resting her head in her hand as she tossed her hair over her shoulder, acknowledging Mary.

   "I didn't hear you come in."

   With a skeptical eye, Mary sighed and began her way to the bar she had installed a few years ago. Usually, most of the alcohol aside from wine was kept locked away in Stefan's study-or his little playroom as she preferred to call it.

   Since she was in for the day, she decided not to hold off her afternoon drink for much longer.

    "I wouldn't expect you to have heard. Who's life are you threatening now. Natalia? I swore that you would have grown out of this behavior by your twenties, but my God." She took a hard sip as her daughter rounded the corner.

   "Mother, I am trying to protect this family. Those are my only intentions, and they are completely pure."

   "Protect this family from what? There's not a thing in this world that I could think of your father letting harm his good name."

   "It's not daddy that I'm trying to help. It's Antonio." Natalia rested in front of Mary, stance relaxed as her face screwed up in confusion.

   "Antonio? Honey, he's the most careful person in this damn family."

   "Not careful enough to wear a condom with some tramp he laid with when he was a kid. Or hell, at least see to that any little spills were taken care of long ago." Throwing her hands in the air, she blew past Mary and headed for the backyard, but she wasn't alone as her mother nearly toppled over the small glass in her hand as she followed in pursuit.

   "What are you talking about, Natalia?"

    "That little bitch he's got nipping at his heels, mother. She's running around claiming to be his daughter, when the hell did Antonio sleep with some black whore?"

   "Watch your mouth Natalia or I swear to God." Mary' voice shook as she held back the scream begging for release as her eyes stared daggers at her daughter.

   "That's exactly what he's done. That kid is probably setting up some huge plan to get child support or whatever the hell it is that they would be looking for from Antonio. The amount of money he makes, they could run him dry."

   "How dare you sit here and talk about a child like that. Your brother's child. "

   "Oh my God." Natalia's eyes widened with a humorless laugh." You haven't fallen for her bullshit too, have you? Wake up. She's a scam artist, and I'll be damned if she gets anyone in this family. Imagine what could happen to daddy if word got out about his son having an illegitimate child. You know how much flack daddy gets from his friends about Antonio's little organization."

    "Personally, I don't give a damn about what may happen to your father. I am only concerned about bringing my family together like it should be. She is one of ours, and I am not leaving her out there on her own. She's my first grandchild and yet I know nothing about her."

   "Brittany is your first grandchild! She always has, and always will be." Natalia's face turned ferocious as she refused to hear her mother put a family intruder over her children.

   "Natalia, that girl is broken; I can see it in her eyes. There's no way I could live or would want to live knowing that I turned her away for some pointless reason. The only thing that matters to me is that we make a place for her in her family. She belongs here. She will be here, and I swear on my life that I will see it through."

   "Let her go back to whatever hole she crawled out of then. Don't bring this upon us."

   "This isn't something for us decide. This was already written out by God before anyone one of us would have known. I'm not going to let her go-"

   "Lay down with dogs, get fleas." Natalia scoffed as she ignored her mother. Mary was taken aback as she looked into eyes that seemed to lack any warmth.

    "How could you be this way?"

    "I'm protecting what's mine."

    "Then you should be protecting her! You should want to protect Aubrey, she is your niece Natalia. Your blood!"

   Holding up a single finger, Natalia tsked." I am not an aunt to anyone. Tomorrow will prove it with the DNA test I'll have delivered, and then you can forget about this little fantasy family you have in mind because it's not going to happen. I don't know what kind of charm she's put on you, but it will wear off and you'll see how much of a fool you really are."

    "You are not ruining tomorrow for us! Everything can't come back around to you all of the damn time, Natalia."

   "I'm the main reason this party is even happening. I took the time off and came across the country to plan this. I've called the party planners. I've gotten people to actually agree to coming. There would be nothing but a pathetic cake and you smelling like liquor the entire night without me. I'll do what I want at that party."

    Natalia's walk towards her was slow and measured. "I promise you that it will be the best birthday Antonio's ever had. Besides this little false hope of being a father, he will thank me ten times over after knowing the truth about her. One day he will want a wife and children of his own. This will all just be a stain of the past by the time it's over and done with." Laying one hand against Mary's shoulder , smoothing her blouse beneath her manicured fingers. "Don't worry."

    Hands curled into fists as Mary stood with the echo of Natalia's feet disappearing back into the house. Sinking to her feet, she settled herself on the foot of the stone stairs. She didn't understand how her daughter could feed off of terrorizing others the way she did. She stood, racing back into her home, looking for her keys before stopping in a hallway mirror. Checking her hair and eyes to make sure her earlier drink didn't show too much before going to her car.

 

   When she got outside, she saw that Natalia had already left to God knew where. Driving away, she quickly made her way towards the other side of town to Antonio's apartment. She couldn't keep something like this away for her son, especially if she couldn't stop Natalia.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.