Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I think I will continue this story. :-) 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Deep breath in....deep breath out. Ava repeated this mantra repeatedly as she walked to the security post outside of the office building.

"Good morning", she said nervously, "I'm here to see Matthew Linney. I have an interview at 10 am on the 18th floor."

"Name and identification" was the curt reply.

"Ava Maxwell."

The surly guard glanced at her id and did a double take. Finally looking into her face he seemed taken aback.

"Ava Maxwell?"

Ava became nervous as the guard ogled her.

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

"Ummm, no, I'm sorry for staring. It's just...well, are, I mean were you married to Jason Maxwell?"

Ava was still, her body frozen in place, mouth moving like a fish out of water. She knew she should respond yet words escaped her. What was wrong with her? It had been over a year since his death yet the sound of his name held her rooted in place as a 200 year old tree.

"Yes", she replied, hesitantly.

"Well, ma'am, I want to say how sorry I am to hear about his passing. He was a great guy, always had a kind word."

Ava blinked back the tears threatening to come forward.

"That was Jason; a good guy."

"I'm sorry ma'am. I didn't mean to upset you, it's just ....I didn't have a chance to pass on condolences at the funeral-."

"It's alright," Ava interrupted. She didn't want to remember. Saying goodbye to her husband caused a physical pain so deep it left a wound on her soul.

"About the interview..." Ava continued.

"Oh right, sorry....here is a pass, go inside, take elevator 4 to the 18th floor."

Ava took a deep breath and turned to the entrance.

"Wait...Mrs. Maxwell!"

Ava glanced back at the guard.

"I think you dropped this."

Before she could stop him he placed the small red box in her hand and closed her fingers over it. Ava glanced up into his serious blue eyes questioningly. "I think you're mistaken," she started.

He smiled serenely. "No I don't think I am. This is yours but please do not open this" he implored.

Ava was alarmed. "What are you doing?" She tried pulling her hand away.

"Please, listen....this is from your husband. He wanted you to have this when you were ready. I've been watching you for awhile and at the beginning I knew you couldn't handle this, actually I'm still unsure but I have to trust that you will follow your heart." The guard released her and walked back to his post.

Ava was in shock. She glanced at the box then back to the guard. Turning she fled the building toward her car, tears streaming down her face; one was racing after the other as though in an Olympic race. Once seated in the car she felt the warmth of the red box in her palm. Hesitancy was Ava's middle name. She set the box on the dashboard, unsure about this recent turn of events.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

I'm not sure if I should continue. Suggestions?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.