Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy Friday, yall!!! I wanted to get this chapter in super fast, so no one curses me out. I have to give a big shotout to those who leave me comments, it definitely helps me to keep on going. Thanks!!!

So, hope you enjoy,




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Run…


Pick up your feet and run, Celeste!


Those words carried me, made my tired, bleeding legs move through empty rooms and a secret hallway…


I turned right, and slammed bloody fingers against the seam of a closed door. I pushed with all my strength and heard a squeak, as the metal slid. The gap was only an inch, but it was enough to slip my fingers through and I pushed against the mechanisms. Slowly, the door moved, again and again.


Boom!


I jumped from the sound, and pushed harder, urged the door to move faster, as footsteps echoed through the maze I had covered. What started as an inch turned into a couple of inches, enough for me to slide through, but my chasers would need to pry it further.


Growls sound from the opposite direction and I made haste of my work. Instantly, I sucked everything in and squeezed through, cut my arms in the process. “Shit…” I cursed and entered another hallway. This one was only lit by a ceiling light, and doors lined the walls. I tested the first door, and the knob turned. It was unlocked. I pushed away and ran to the one across the hall; this too was unlocked. I moved further down, before slipping through the fifth door, as shooting sound through my gap.


The small room I stood in was another security checkpoint for a conference hall. The camera still rolled, showcasing an empty room, a familiar one. I was in that same room when I saw the videos of what happened in other countries, when I saw the footage of our capitol. Quickly, I opened the door that led into the room and shut it, quietly. I clicked it lock, and turned around.  Surprised, I looked at the pushed out chairs, papers at every spot and the monitor came to life.


‘The Rouge…The Chozen…The Carrier…The Doctor…’


Pictures of Michael, Karen’s Daughter, Jasper, and Karen appeared under the names in that order. I looked at the screen, transfixed with the picture of my friend. It was old, one taken before the downfall of our world and the disease that spread. She looked happy, healthy, and I realized it was a holiday photo. She would’ve been with her mother, Jasper right beside her. This was all planned out…she was meant to be in my spot.


My eyes caught lettering underneath her picture; MOTHER. If she was the mother, than Jasper had to be… Instantly, I saw the word FATHER, under the photo and realization hit me. “Oh my god…he’s the father…”


****


One hour ago.


“One…”


With a long hiss, the door unlocked from Dr. Marab’s code and slowly parted. Jasper and Michael stood, tensely at the entry way, while the doctor moved to stand behind me. Michael did a slight nod and then produced a grenade pin. He threw it down the hallway and watched as it clangs against the porcelain floor. We all waited.


Violet crushed her body against mine; fear overtook her, as my eyes concentrated on movement ahead. I tried to her violent tremors, but eventually they pulled at my heart and I reached down to caress her. “Shh…it’s just like before, in the room. I won’t let anything happen, just stay by my side,” I whispered, but she was too scared to respond. “Everything will be okay…”I started to say but a series of growls pulled my attention away. I shoved her behind me and looked between the shoulders of Jasper and Michael.


Suddenly, a Z ran out of a room into the hallway. He stopped in the center and sniffed before hungry, yellow eyes found us and he screamed again. Clothless, his skin dripped, muscles and bones exposed, black ooze marred lacerations. This one was a mutant. “What the fuck is that?” Jasper voiced as we watched the thing’s mouth widen beyond human capabilities. Michael stepped forward, ready to attack, but my adrenaline peaked. Suddenly, an arrow shot forth and nailed the bastard before he could move. The Z fell with a loud thump. Michael’s eyes flew to mine.


“You said to stay in the middle, not to stop saving your ass,” I said, and looked back at the hallway.


“Thanks,” came his quick response before he signaled for us to enter.


Slowly, we all slipped through the opening and Dr. Marab pressed in the code to lock the doors behind us. I watched as they came together, just before something slammed against the stairwell door. Violet screamed from the attack and moved closer, made it hard for me to adjust. Michael looked back again, but I told him to worry about covering the front. With a scowl, he snapped back around and raised his gun higher, his hunting knife in his other hand.


“Hand to hand combat first, guns only if necessary, “Michael whispered to the group, but this was basic knowledge. Once again, his hand signaled for us to move forward and we did…only to stop five feet ahead.


“To your right!”  Jasper called suddenly, no immediate danger insight, but then I too, smelled it. An overwhelming sense of rotten blood, too much to just be one. We all watched the right hallway, and three seconds later and swarm of Z’s came scattering out. Michael moved forward, broke formation to kill the first ones, while Jasper quickly followed.


I aimed my loaded bow and shot. One down, two down, three… “Celeste, watch out!” Violet pulled me, so I could see a Z come from a room to the left, his growl silent from the hole in his throat. Quickly, I pulled out a single arrow from the holster and plunged it deep into it’s head. With a crack, the metal penetrated the skull and the Z was dead. I pulled the arrow back out and held it out toward the doctor.


“Hit them in the head…” He nodded, before I moved forward and aided in the boys with the Zs.


Quickly, the cluster slowed before the last one approached and the honors was due to Jasper. With stealth, he snuck behind the fucker and punched right into the back of the Zs head, destroyed the creature in one go. He pulled his fist out, covered with black ooze as the Z joined the others on the floor. That’s when I noticed there was only one mutated Z amongst the cluster. “They travel in packs.” I broke the silence and pointed to the first one I shot down.


“What are they?” Jasper asked.


“They are the ones we saw in the academy, the ones in that tunnel. I saw them again, when I found her. They’re turning them.”


All eyes went to the doctor, who looked up at me. “I had no part in that, no say. I never wanted to enhance people’s ability. I thought we were already perfect. As human’s we survived for ages, and will continue. It was the other’s idea. They wanted superhuman, an army. I refused, so they shut me out, but I figured it would continue especially after…” He stopped, his eyes fixated on the dead mutant. “I knew him,” he said sympathically.


“We don’t have time for this. We have to find the door.” Michael got everyone back on track and again, we went back to formation, but Dr. Marab was still in his head.


“Snap out of it, or you’ll join him,” I snapped at the man, before he nodded and closed up the rear. Quickly, we joined the others and raced passed the main hallway, made an immediate right, before our journey was halted.


In the middle of the hallway, another cluster of Zs went to town on a poor hospital employee. His body still writhed, and by smell it was a fresh kill. So engrossed, they didn’t even notice us watching them, and we didn’t want them to. Michael took one step back, slowly another; the group followed.  


Once back at the intersection, we continued down our previous path, this would lead to a set of surgical rooms. Violet stirred. Afraid to speak, I looked at the young girl, fresh tears slid down her face, and her steps became labored. She battled the will to continue, while immense fear emanated from her. That’s when I smelt it; Jasper, too.


A forceful arm stopped Michael in his place; Jasper used his other hand to extend a finger to his lips. I sniffed in deeply and noticed the air was charged with the smell of death. The stench was enough to ward off the average Zs; it could only belong to mutants. Violet crept up against me, as I tried to locate the source, but it engulfed us. Jasper shook his head and took one step back. We heard the cry.


“Hey guys…” Dr. Marab stuttered and I turned around to see the cluster at the other end of the hallway. The movement of our group enticed the undead and they screamed, again.


“Oh fuck…” Jasper cursed and I was afraid to look forward. “Celeste, find us a way out now!”


Immediately, shots were being fired from both ends as I looked around the space. Fingers trembled against my bow, adrenaline coursed through my body. I looked at two glass doors. One lead to a room filled with more Zs, pilling up to be free, the other was pitch black. “Celeste…!” Michael yelled, as he swiftly pulled a shotgun from his back. The mutants began to run toward us.


“This way!” I screamed as my heart raced and my blood boiled. I ran to the darkened room and remembered the security code Violet told me. With quick work, I made it to the key pad as a hand gripped me. I looked at the raw flesh, rotted and torn. Instantly, I pulled an arrow out of the holder and jammed it right in the head. It dropped but not without another to replace its spot. This time, I pulled out another arrow and aimed for the throat.


“Ahhh…!” The scream pierced through sense, shook me from reality; Violet. My arm slipped, the arrow caught the Z in the chest. Instantly, I pushed hard, sent the fucker backwards before I looked for Violet. Her fallen gun sat in the middle of the floor, as she ran from two Zs. 


“No, Violet!” I screamed and raced to catch her, and I felt it. Like an addict with a line of coke, my body trembled and everything turned. The air intensified and filled me with pure hunger. Rage surged through me and fueled my muscles with iron. Once again, I was gone and something took over my body.


Quickly, feet ran to the Beretta and fingers scooped it up, and pointed. Click. With perfect precision, the closest Z dropped at Violet’s heel and seconds later, the other was down. The girl continued to run, as I charged afterward, made sure to take down every Z in my way. “Celeste!” Someone screamed behind me, as footsteps followed, but I was preoccupied. I needed to protect her. I promised her.


I round a corner, like she did, and came upon the hallway the cluster came from. The employee was now back alive, but was limbless with a hole in its abdomen. “Sorry,” I said, before my right foot crashed down upon its head; the sharp crack of the skull echoed through the hall.


“Celeste,” an arm gripped me, and I swung with the gun aimed right at…Michael.


“Whoa…It’s me…” he said and suddenly let go, his shot gun raised.


“What’s up?” Jasper came next, the doctor right behind him. “What the fuck?” He muttered; his eyes on me.


“Violet…I need to find her,” I voiced and without hesitation, I was back on the hunt. With quiet, deliberate steps, I made haste of the large tiled floor. The Zs were no longer on the chase; the boys took down the rest, so all we needed was her.


She hadn’t gone far, this I felt. However, she was excellent at hiding. I continued to run, breathing harshly to sniff in her scent; a smell I didn’t know I recognized. “Violet…” I hissed, bow raised, eyes wide, ears alert.


We approached another intersection; one hallway lead to where all the action took place, another continued toward more rooms, one we just came from, and the last lead to the our destination. Carefully, I scanned that hallway. The lights were shot out in most places, unlike the rest of the lit sections on the floor. Desks, chairs, even some beside tables became obstacles.


With every pound of my heart, I traced every inch. The others quiet as I concentrated, however one stood right beside me. Those deep eyes shone with knowledge and I knew he found her. Jasper wasn’t lying when he said his nose was better. “She’s bleeding.”


Those words, so common, became the whistle for my race. Without a plan, I bolted from my spot and ran. “Violet!” I screamed and sprinted down the hall, leaped over anything that stood in my way. That’s when I, too, smelt her. It was the smell of fear, innocent tears, and youthful blood, so much blood. “No!” I screamed as my stomach rumbled, and my feet moved faster. She was caught…she was dead… I thought.


We made it to the end of the hallway, and my body flew to the right, only to be pulled back. “Stop.”  My back hit the hard surface of a well sculpted chest, one arm wrapped tightly around my waist.


“Let me go!” I screamed against Michael’s harsh grip. Blinded by rage, I didn’t see what looked to be Zs, were actually humans, living, breathing military men; Norris’ boys.


“You better listen to him.” The smell of a lit cigar wafted through the space between us and the man. Slowly, the circle of men parted and Norris emerged, Violet’s neck in his hand.


“Let her go!” I screamed, and fought against Michael, but he held me back. Next to me, Jasper growled, the rumble low, but still there.


“Buchanan, tame that bitch, or I’ll neuter her.”


“Why don’t you try,” I spat.


“I would break your neck; however there are other plans for you. I guess this one will do,” and Violet screamed as his gripped tightened. Frail hands scratched at his fingers, but she didn’t do much damage.


I couldn’t watch…I couldn’t… and it happened before I could blink. My aggression ten folded. My elbow flew back into Michael’s abdomen. He hissed with pain, his arm loosened and I pushed out of his hold. Quickly, I charged, and the first soldier stepped out of formation, in full protective gear. Immediately, I aimed my arrow for his neck, but his face guard blocked the hit. I tried again, but I was shaky from movement, so I got rid of the thing.   Hands free, the soldier dropped his weapon and cracked his knuckles. Game on, Bastard.


He threw the first punch, which I stepped out of and gripped his outstretch wrist. I twisted underneath his reach and brought his arm down across my shoulder. The man howled in agony, as a crunch exploded through the air; his elbow shattered. With a broken arm, he tried to swing with the other, but I backed away, waited for another weak spot…and there it was. He advanced fast, pulled back for an attempt and I launched. His head tilted slightly to the right as he used his body to strengthened the blow. I sacrificed a hit to the right shoulder for the advantage to his neck, and went in for the kill. My fist made contact and continued through, until bloody fingers broke through his cervical vertebrae.


I let the man’s dead body sink to the ground and look at Norris. The man smiled with genuine amusement and whistled. Loud footsteps echoed behind me and I realized Michael, Jasper, and the good doctor had moved forward, now their backs were against mine; we were surrounded.


“You would risk everything for a child you don’t know?” Norris called out, but I continued to watch him. The men around him advanced, four this time. “You know, I was told not to kill you, but Karen doesn’t need the others. Boys, you know the plan…”


“Ahhh!”


The scream came from behind all of us, carried from the hallway we ventured through. Jasper looked toward me, and one sniff was all I needed to know. Everyone stopped, silence became tortourous. Suddenly, several soldiers cried at the same time. “Over there,” they said and shots began to fly. No longer worried about Norris, I watched as the circle of men he had began to drop like flies, as they screamed and fought against the invisible predator.


Michael brought up his gun and shot, but clicks meant empty chambers. Jasper did the same, with the same results, Dr. Marab was motionless. “Fight back!” Norris yelled, and the first of his men turned the hallway into a light show. “Kill them,” he screamed.


The fighters who weren’t caught, were now in line with us, moving further and further back by the minute. It was hard to see the Z’s from the armed men that hung from their mouths, but the smell of them made me sick. “There’s too many…too many Celeste,” Jasper said next to me, and I knew he was right. You picked your battles and this was one where you let the other guys do the work.


I nodded, and ran. I turned around and raced toward Norris, his attention on the newest threat. The hallway was total mayhem, Norris boys unloaded carriages, while the mutated fuckers pushed forward, their appetite never sated. I kept toward the wall, furthest away from the gunshots., tried to gain more space from danger, however those things kept coming.


I grabbed a knife from the belt of a guard, and looked for Norris to see his spot vacant. Fast movement caught my eye and I chased after. He still had Violet, but he was running toward the door, the connection spot. Five guys raced behind him, still in formation, so shooting was out of the option. “No…” I yelled as the door opened suddenly, and the men sped up.   


Feet moved faster, encouraged by our close distance. Someone called my name, and the urgency in the words made me respond. “Stop,” Michael said, and surprisingly, my body listened.


The distinct cry of more Zs filled the air from in front of us and before I knew it, Violet emerged from the small group of men. She ran toward me. At the same time, Micheal screamed, “grenade,” and black objects flew into the air.


Time slowed as I watched Violet arms reach for me. Men yelled, and began to retrace their steps, some with Z’s on their heels, others shot open doors in order to take cover, and yet I was frozen. I was stuck. ‘Sorry’ was on my lips and surprisingly, my hand flew to my stomach. Everything was over.


Boom!


.


.


.


.


.


“Ahh!” I woke with a scream; eyes wide, yet disoriented. Something heavy lay on my leg, clouds of dust blinded me. I reached down, and my fingers hit fabric. I sat up, and reached again; it was a person. The stench of fire, smoke, and burning flesh tore at my lungs. My ears rung andn head pounded as blood rushed to the brain.  


I looked down again, hands going the person’s heavy shoulders. With as much strength as I could muster, I pushed him over and immediately, reached for a weapon. “Norris?”


Dark eyes, shone with pain, looked back at me. Norris was the one who saved me. “Why?” the word slipped as the man coughed blood. I looked down at his abdomen, to see a piece of wood sticking out.


“Because it’s my mission,” he choked out, through spurts of blood. His mission…I thought and suddenly everything hit me; the grenades, the Zs, Michael…Violet. Quickly, I pushed back from him and stood. Everywhere, faint moans of either the undead or the dying signaled the chaos, but I disregarded them. I staggered out into the hallway, where water showered from the ceiling. The crisp cold rain cleared much of the smoke, made it easier to see. I looked around the debris and fire to see walls caved in, barricaded us from the rest of the hospital; however the door was still open. With pain, I slumped around; searched for Violet, Michael, Jasper…even the doctor, but only came up with nothing.


Fingers scraped at the bottom of my feet and I looked down to see one of Norris’ men. He transformed. I snatched his hand gun from its holster and without much thought, brought it down on his skull, repeatedly. The once crisp white lab coat I covered myself in, was now covered with blood, underneath the gown was torn. I looked at the dead soldier, and began to undress him; stole his bulletproof vest, several weapons, and his ripped shirt. I tied it around my neck, as the sound of movement came from behind. Those things were still alive, and that barricade wouldn’t last for long. Frantically, I looked around once more for a sign of anyone, and came across footsteps. Sluggish boots and small footprints led toward the adjoining door. Where complete destruction had taken over in here, beyond the door everything looked intact. They must’ve left. This was the only way. 


Part of the barricade fell behind me and I heard the Zs cry. It wouldn’t be long until they break through. Encouraged, I moved forward, out of the hospital, through the door, and into the executive hallway; the barricade broke down. I stood at the end, ready to take off when the recognizable voice of Norris screamed, followed by the mangled cry of the mutants. I didn’t hide the smile.


“Put your weapon down now!”


Suddenly, I was blinded by light. Immediately, I turned away from the ambush, but the guy yelled again. “Stay where you are and drop your weapon!” the call threatening.


“I...I…,” I stuttered.


“Ma’am put down the weapon or we’ll be forced to…” and with a clink, I let go. The handgun fell from my fingers, before the scent of the mutants sent me running. “Stop!” the guy yelled, but my body reacted before I knew how close danger was.


“Run!” I screamed into the lights, and then heavy footsteps came to the end of the hallway, Zs slid along the porcelain floors.


“Fire!” the man screamed to what must have been a squad and suddenly, I ducked. Bullets flew above me, as Zs spilled out from the hospital; some mutated, others were Norris’ turned men. 


Quickly, I crawled on the floor toward the nearest wall and felt around. There was a door.


“Advance!” and the squad listened. Gunshots stopped momentarily, giving me enough time to access the security pad. Quickly, I pushed in the numbers and the door hiss. I didn’t give it enough time to fully open, before I barged in. Once inside, I noticed I was in a small office, another door toward the back. I raced against that as a fresh wave of Zs hit my nose and guys fired again. I entered the security code and continued on into a boardroom. Its light flashed on with my sudden movement, and I looked for another way out. Suddenly, footsteps could be heard from the way I entered.


I spotted another door, raced to that one. It was not locked with a keypad, and the knob gave way instantly. “Stop right there!” The same guy from before called and I bolted. “After her! We need her alive!”


“Fuck!” I cursed, as I entered a dimly lit hallway.


Run…


Pick up your feet and run, Celeste!


Those words carried me, made my tired, bleeding legs move through empty rooms and a secret hallway. By now, I had made some distance between me and the men; however I could still here their footsteps. They trekked me like a predator would, waited until I dropped with exhaustion before they ambushed, but I couldn’t stop, not without them…


I turned right, and slammed bloody fingers against the seam of a closed door. The security pad was broken, keys punched by a bloody fist.  I pushed against the metal with all my strength, until I heard a squeak; the aluminum slid. The gap was only an inch, but it was enough to slip my fingers through and push against the mechanisms. Slowly, the door moved, again and again.


Boom!


“Shit.” I jumped from the sound, and pushed harder, urged the door to move faster, as footsteps echoed through the maze I had covered. What started as an inch turned into a couple of inches, enough for me to slide through, but my chasers would need to pry it further.


Growls sound from the opposite directions of the soldiers and I made haste of my work. Instantly, I sucked everything in and squeezed through, cutting my arms in the process. “oh, god,” I cried and entered another hallway. This one was only lit by a ceiling light, and doors lined the walls. I tested the first door, and the knob turned. It was unlocked. I pushed away and ran to the one across the hall; this too was unlocked. I moved further down, slipped through the fifth door, as shooting sound through my gap.


The small room I stood in was another security checkpoint for a conference hall. The camera still rolled, showcased an empty room, a familiar one. I was in that same room when I saw the videos of what happened in other countries, when I saw the footage of our capitol. Quickly, I opened the door that led into the room and shut it quietly. I clicked it lock, and was surprised to see chairs pushed out, papers at every spot and the monitors on.


‘The Rouge…The Chosen…The Carrier…The Doctor…’


Pictures of Michael, Karen’s Daughter, Jasper, and Karen appeared under the names in that order. I looked at the screen, transfixed with the picture of my friend. It was old, one taken before the downfall of our world and the disease that spread. She looked happy, healthy, and I realized it was a holiday photo. She would’ve been with her mother, Jasper right beside her.


My eyes caught lettering underneath her picture; MOTHER. This was all planned out…she was meant to be in my spot. I made to look away before I saw the word FATHER, too. It was under another photo, and realization hit me. This made no sense. “…he’s not the father…”















Chapter End Notes:

oh fuck...who's the father? Does Karen get away? Where the hell is Michael, Jasper, Violet, and Dr. Marab?

With only one chapter left, so many questions to answer...ahhh!!! Thanks reading, and feedback is encouraged. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.