Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Evangeline's eyes scanned for familiar and unfamiliar landmarks along the drive from Layla's posh apartment suite. It was obvious Layla was moving up in Llanview society and Llanview was changing right along with her but not quite full speed ahead. She caught sight of a few of those places that carried with it memories, which seemed like a lifetime ago. She sighed, shifting in her seat thinking about what may be going on between Trevor and his father. Then she thought about Stephen.

 

"Don't think about it," Layla said, "you'll drive yourself crazy."

 

"I'm trying hard not to."

 

"Then try harder." Layla turned into the parking lot. "Here we are Angel Square, where we'll find Llanview's premier shopping and dining."

 

Upon exiting the car, Evangeline noticed the store's title.

 

"Chaussures & Borse?"

 

"Not what you remember right?" Layla smiled walking arm in arm with Evangeline. She appeared more excited about this shopping trip. As usual, Evangeline felt taken along for the ride. "But they carry the best shoes and handbags."

 

"And I bet the price is way up there," Evangeline quibbled.

 

"Yeah but I'm sponsoring remember. I hope your brain isn't regretting this little shopping detour."

 

"No...no...," she shook her head. "As long as you're sponsoring," she gave Layla a slight smack on the shoulder. She felt the rays of the sun hitting her skin. I Might as well embrace this part of the day...

 

As soon as they stepped into the store, both perceived all eyes on them but it only lasted for a short while. The bold colours of the merchandise stacked horizontal, vertically, diagonally, and circularly kept their minds occupied. While Layla was distracted with the different choices, Evangeline zeroed in on a bejewelled ensemble not too flashy but it carried a statement.

 

"Hey Vange, what do you think?" Layla displayed four different colours and style shoes; a pair for each hand. Evangeline understood coordinated bags featured as well.

 

"Layla just because you have money doesn't mean that you shouldn't save some for a rainy day. How much are you saving?"

 

"Spoilsport," Layla muttered returning two of the shows back to their displays but her fingers lingered for a little while. "Sometimes you behave like Lisa Williamson the second."

 

"And you love me too..."

 

"Evangeline...is that you?" Both spun around to that unmistakable voice. "It's really you."

 

"Hello Vicki. It's good to see you." Evangeline replied unfazed by her presence.

 

"It's good to see you as well. Hello Layla..."

 

"Hey Vicki," she greeted before turning back around.

 

Layla was never in the mood for conversing with Victoria Lord Manning. There was something disingenuous contained within her mannerisms; always angling for information especially for her brother. She also knew given the opportunity, Blair was first preference. Today she wore the typical Vicki office red suit; hair cut in a stylish bob, light jewellery consisting of a gold earring and bracelet.

 

"Where have you been all this time?"

 

"Living and working in Maryland. I decided one day to take some time and visit Layla."

 

"You'll find that some things have changed in Llanview."

 

"While others have remained the same..."

 

"So true," Vicki smiled. "Well it has been great seeing you and don't be a stranger. You'll always be a special part of the Llanview community."

 

"Evangeline!"


Before Vicki could move off an acquaintance of Evangeline came rushing over.

 

"Michelle..."

 

"Girl you haven't aged one bit..."

 

"Good genes." Both shared a laugh and continued with a lively conversation until Michelle needed to leave.

 

 Layla approached her and said, "I almost expect Blair to come popping around the corner."

 

"Way too early for her, she usually wants to catch me off guard."

 

"And when she discovers the whole truth?"

 

"We'll see who blinks first," she replied seriously.

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"Uh Oh...all fall down," Trevor remarked in that small voice which Todd quickly came to adore.

 

"All fall down on daddy you mean," Todd said as he briefly tickled him. His eyes scrutinized his son's features, a perfect combination of the two of them. No mistaken those were his eyes gazing back at him.

 

A couple of times Trevor asked for Evangeline but otherwise the two were having so much fun in the Penthouse game room. All sorts of toys from building blocks, to trains, video games, hot wheels, a couple of arcade games and the like occupied the huge space. For now, Todd thought it best to hang out at the penthouse away from prying eyes of the curious Llanview snoops. His kids will learn the truth soon enough. Certainly, Starr was going to be supportive; on the other hand, Jack's reaction usually depended on his mood. Sam was the enigma. He may be jealous and angry at first at the prospect of having to share daddy's attention with a new little brother.

 

For the time being he pushed aside those feelings keeping his focus on this unexpected blessing. Todd discovered a few of his character traits like wanting to do things in his own way no matter the failings; playing the same game over and over again until Todd peaks his interest in something new. Trevor also enjoyed laughing and running around. Todd believed he burned off enough calories chasing after him.

 

"Hey I believe its snack time for the both of us."

 

"Snack time!"

 

Todd searched through Trevor's bag and located a light blue plastic container. When he peaked inside, it revealed half of a grilled wheat cheese sandwich along with some sweet potato chips and a juice box. 

 

"You kiddo are eating way healthier than your dad."

 

"Daddy..."

 

It stunned Todd to hear him say it. The obvious question lingered, was Trevor referring to himself or that other guy? He preferred to believe the former.

 

"Airplane! Airplane! Airplane!" Trevor kept jumping up and down.

 

That snapped Todd back to reality. "Ok," Todd replied crouching down to Trevor's eyelevel. "It will soon be time for lift off."

 

"Now! Now!"

 

"So demanding," Todd chuckled. He lifted Trevor into his arms and carried him off to the kitchen airplane style.

 

 

  ♥♥♥♥♥

 

"Have you ever considered moving away from here?"

 

Todd's hands encircled her waist, his mouth nipping lightly, tasting the sweetness of chocolate skin just beneath her chin. He barely heard her question too caught up with this beautiful woman wrapped in his arms.

 

"Hmmm Todd there's enough time for pleasure. Answer the question," she said trying to be serious. She really wanted to get his view on the subject.

 

"What question?" He placed soft kisses on her bare shoulders as he moved aside the strap of her blouse.

 

"Moving out of the penthouse silly," Evangeline giggled. It was becoming hard not to succumb to his pleasurable onslaught, her body already overheating with the need for him.

 

He spun her around to face him. "Humph I see us married, three of our children running around in a huge backyard..."

 

"Why does that sound like you have more than three children in mind? Two kids Todd. Twins would be awesome - over and done with in one pregnancy."

 

"Hey there's always compromise..."

 

She kissed him softly, encircling her arms around his neck while his drew her in closer.

 

"Your Angel has spoken."

 

 

"Evangeline?"

 

"Wha...what?" His hands motioned for her to have a seat but she immediately responded, "No thank you," folding her arms, "I prefer to stand," the attitude evident in her tone and posture. She was bracing for a showdown.

 

They were alone in his home office. Strange enough Layla was upstairs supervising a sleeping Trevor. When they first arrived, she sensed the tension between them; however, Todd acquiesced when the idea came up.

 

 

 

 

"You must really hate me..."

 

Did he really need to say that? "Hate is such a strong word. Don't play the victim here..."

 

"Why not?!" An indignant Todd lifted his hands high in the air. "You kept Trevor a secret for 3½ years. I missed your entire pregnancy. I missed watching him take his first breath. And what about those other milestones that I can never get back?!"

 

"I could have kept him from away forever!"

 

Her words gave him pause. "You wouldn't have been that heartless!"

 

"Well I learned from the best didn't I?"

 

It was as if Evangeline had smacked him hard across the face. For quite a while, that night haunted him. Sometimes he would wake up with a cold sweat unable to breathe.

 

"Is everything you say going to come back to that night?" he questioned evenly.

 

"In this case yes. Three months I was away from this nightmare." She held up three fingers to emphasize her point further. "Still doing my best to get over and erase this place from my memory..."

 

"Don't you think it hurt me to do that to you...to us...?"

 

"I hurt worst! You had a choice Todd Manning!" She screamed at him.

 

"Oh yeah right a choice between the love of my life and my son." He shook his head in disbelief. "Is that what you mean Evangeline?"

 

"No a choice between following Blair or remaining by my side. Patience was never one of your virtues," she added mockingly.

 

"Mike and Marcie dominated Sam's life and they did their best to keep my son away from me which included your ex..." Evangeline scoffed turning aside from him. "Yes I wanted the easy way out. I was beyond tired, frustrated, longing to hold my son who was created out of the most sadistic circumstance." His voice increased in volume. "I had to tell you the truth! I had to break your heart; tear apart our dreams and future together. It kills me every day knowing what I did this to us and if it wasn't for Sam I would have gone crazy by now."

 

"It is what it is now Todd," she shrugged. "There's no going back..."

 

"Oh because of Stephen... the new Mrs?"

 

"Mrs Thomas and don't you dare..."

 

"I'll dare say that you won't be leaving Llanview with our son."

 

"Are you seriously threatening me right now?" Evangeline gave him an incredulous glare.

 

"As Trevor's father I have rights too least you forget."

 

"Believe me I haven't forgotten. ...You must really think this was so easy, such an easy decision for Evangeline Williamson.  I can see it in your eyes. You still have me on this high pedestal ...but I'm not perfect Todd!"

 

Todd blinked shifting his eyes away from her. He never really gave much thought to whatever she may have experienced especially carrying the child of the man who broke her heart. He always proclaimed that he would never allow anyone to hurt her and yet he too became a part of that shameful list. He poured himself a glass of water and drank down half its contents. "I don't...I cannot...," he stammered.

 

"No you cannot comprehend the half of it! I wasn't going to give him up and I wasn't going to get rid of him so I only had one option. Each day I regained that part of myself which I allowed you to take away so that he had a chance of life and later on a family."

 

Evangeline was emotionally tax yet she refused to breakdown or shed any tears. She let out a huge breath, briefly closed her eyes then reopened them. No, she did not hate him. She hated the circumstances.

 

"Todd I'm truly sorry but don't compare me to your ex-wife. You and Blair throw the word hate around so often that it has lost its true meaning. I can never hate the father of my child. If I did then Trevor wouldn't be here right now. For his sake, let's stop fighting about this. I'm certain we can work out an arrangement before we take it further than it needs to be. ...Please..."

 

He wanted to give a condescending comment but dismissed it rather quickly. He leaned against the edge of his desk, massaging his forehead. There was much to consider, that righteous indignation slowly dissipating. First off, he needed to admit that he adored her still. Stephen has his family and if Dylan didn't come up with the goods, he wasn't sure of his next move.

 

"Todd..."

 

"His name is...?"

 

"Trevor John Williamson."

 

He liked knowing that his son didn't carry another man's surname.

 

"Eventually his surname will be changed but in the meantime we can go into mediation to work out something amicable."

 

His response made her relax a little. A part of her felt extraordinarily drained of energy and she just wanted to sink into the comforts of a soft, warm bed.

 

"I suggest we choose someone from outside our circle."

 

"I agree."

"He or she cannot come in with any biased opinions. It will be easier for you to find a mediator."

 

"Sure I'll make a few calls but in the meantime..."

 

"I'll take some time off from work so that I can see as much of him as possible. He needs to learn and understand that I'm there for him."

 

She locked eyes with his and said, "Trevor does know that you are his father."

 

That information elated his heart but deep down he recognized that he also called Stephen daddy as well.

 

"Evangeline..." He reached out his hands to her. Evangeline's eyes lingered on his palms unsure of what the gesture meant. "We were once best friends. Now we are parents to a handsome, adorable little boy. I want there to be some sort of truce between us not only for his sake..."

When he was like this, it made a world of difference. He rarely displayed this softer side of himself. She went into his arms, let her guard down and cried softly on his shoulder. What am I doing? Just as quickly, she flinched, stepped back and ran out of the room.

 

"Evangeline...Evangeline..."

 

Todd plopped down on to the floor in front of his desk. .He decided it best not to go after her. They will see each other again soon enough. He wanted her. He wanted their son. He wanted their family. So help him, he would get them back.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.