Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I want to stand with you on a mountain, I want to bathe with you in the sea..I want to lay like this forever. Until the sky falls down on me.

 

            Alana hummed along to the song as she scanned the aisle of her local Duane Reade after a rare short day of work. Tourists took in the sight of the rare NYC chic in front of their eyes. Large engagement ring, manicured nails, Hermes bag and her head turning legs donning the latest LK Bennett's.

 

            ‘So cheesy,' Alana thought to herself as she read through cards for her fiance's upcoming birthday. She often received stares either for her ring or from the occasional visiting Parisian who complimented her perfume or shoes. Feeling eyes on her she looked up and smiled to a group of 3 girls who giddily ran away from her.

 

            ‘If they only knew,' Alana thought to herself. She had worked 15 hours the day earlier and was exhausted. After picking a card and a few necessities for her apartment she did her usual check out routine. Her fiancé, Lucas, and her synched their calendars together given their busy schedules.

 

            ‘Hm. A meeting tonight?' Alana walked out of the store heading to her Soho studio. ‘That's weird,' she thought to herself. Lucas never scheduled appointments after 6 PM since they tried to keep their nights as open as possible to see one another. During the weekdays their love for one another was confined to iMessages and occasional tweets.

 

            At 5:30 PM, this was the earliest Alana ever returned home since becoming partner at her firm. Being named the youngest partner in history at 27 had its perks but for Alana the perks were nothing compared to the challenges. 80 hour plus workweeks and constantly being on call overshadowed her pay increase that she used solely to pay off her undergraduate and law school debt. Instead of buying a massive condo on 5th avenue as everyone thought she would, she instead invested in stocks and bonds as well as set aside more money for her future children's education as well as increasing her wedding budget.

 

            Alana did not grow up privileged and because of this she thought long and hard about her money before spending and investing it in anything. Her Soho apartment was enviable but considered modest for a woman of her stature. She enjoyed providing for her mother instead who lived in a comfortable house in Atlanta closer to her brother. Never forgetting the sacrifices her mother did for her throughout high school to law school she vowed to take care of her mother for as long as she lived.

 

            "Mom," Alana answered her mothers usual phone call.

 

            "How are you today? You sounded really tired yesterday...," her mother inquired innocently.

 

            "I'm okay," Alana said as she sat down on her couch looking out her floor to ceiling glass windows, "Yesterday was just crazy. But. I'm out early today, so."

 

            "Cooking for Mister Lucas?" her mother asked.

 

            "No," Alana laughed, "He has a meeting at 7PM."

 

            Alana's mother began her usual ‘you need to be more of a house wife' rant but abruptly stopped and asked, "7PM?"

 

            "Yeah," Alana agreed sensing her mother's skepticism.

 

            "What kind of meeting is at 9," her mother's African accent came out.

 

            Alana closed her eyes trying to calm herself down. As much as she loved her mother - she knew how to push her buttons.  "Mom, I'm going to go now. Love you," she said as he hung up.

 

            She opened a bottle of wine and texted Lucas.

 

Alana: 7PM meeting?

Lucas: Yes. Crazy. Enjoy your night. I'll see you first thing tomorrow for breakfast at Le Pain.

 

            She smiled to her phone and after briefly sipping her wine while watching television she decided to bring some spontaneity to their relationship tonight. She would lie in his bed waiting for him.

 

For them everything was planned, organized, and nothing spurs of the moment. Their engagement had been planned for the moment right after Alana became partner so the board wouldn't think an upcoming wedding would make her baby crazy and not as legally savvy. In the beginning she yearned for moments in which Lucas would just randomly show up to her office with flowers or food. They never came as she learned that was not the kind of lover Lucas was.

 

Lucas was practical. He thought things through and saw every decision he made as a stock investment. She was a planner. She made to-do lists and felt a rush of endorphins when she crossed out a completed task. They were the A type couple of the century.

 

The pair met at a fundraiser held at Cipriani. Lucas Wentworth a seasoned veteran in NYC finance noticed the young 25 fresh out of law school Alana. He took in her captivating presence and her natural hair that consisted of curls that were begging to be caressed by his fingers attracted him. He knew she was the kind of woman his portfolio needed. A successful and beautiful attorney who was traditional yet modern was the ideal fit for him.

 

For Alana Harrison, Lucas presented himself as the wise lover who guided her through life. When she first met him she noticed the few grey hairs that highlighted his undercut and matched his suit. He was drinking an old English and to her this man met the classic standard she set for herself. He would be a compliment to her seemingly perfect NYC life - attractive wealthy couple that spent their days working but nights developing their love for one another.

 

The duo went on 5 dates before becoming exclusive with one another. After 2 years of beginning and cementing their traditions, such as Christmas tree shopping, summers in Nantucket and their Parisian get away in October, the duo decided it was time to get married and solidify their love. Lucas being the ever-practical husband knew his future fiancé would not care to be whisked away for a romantic proposal but instead would appreciate a well thought out one. So he waited until she became partner. Lucas brought Alana back to Cipriani where he rented out the restaurant for the two and proposed to her in the same venue where they met. Alana was touched and gladly accepted.

 

At times Alana felt as if their love was missing something. Certain days her relationship felt like a job but she would remind herself that not every day could be Nantucket. But she at least thought they could be days filled with Lucas telling her he loved her. She knew he did but hearing it would have been nice. She brought it up to him and he vowed to try and work on it. It still hadn't changed so Alana dealt with it because ultimately she loved his work ethic and how he would provide for her and their family.

 

She packed her overnight bag as she danced to her usual house playlist. Although she was a straight cut woman, Alana loved the moments she would meet up with her college buddies and go out on the town. Dancing the night away and laughing after one too many drinks was the side of Alana her friends knew. Not the high-powered attorney that was consulted by the UN. To Lucas, her girl nights were something that would fade over time. He was not a fan of them but accepted that Alana go out to in her own words, ‘unwind'. He didn't understand how a cup of brandy couldn't unwind her also. He didn't feel the need to go out with her but the few times he did he would always excuse himself to leave early. Going out, dancing, drinking was not necessarily his scene  - he felt he had outgrown his fiancés childish tendencies.

 

Exiting her apartment, she hopped into her Uber to head to Lucas' penthouse down in the financial district. The two decided that she would keep her SoHo apartment since it was becoming a strong financial asset with renovations but she would be moving into Lucas' apartment that had a view spanning the World Trade Tower and the Brooklyn Bridge.  Keying into Lucas' apartment Alana made her at home as she usually did. Although they did not move in together, partly because of Alana's mother's objections, they still spent substantial amount of nights in bed together. She entered into his bedroom and slowly unpacked her bag that was filled with lingerie and candles that she began lighting by the bed and in his massive bathroom. Slowly sipping on champagne and laying on his bed, Alana texted her love again.

 

Alana: Are you eating at this meeting? It's pretty late.

Lucas: Yes. Food is provided. Don't worry about anything Alana. Rest up. I'll see you in the morning.

 

She smiled to herself as he had no idea she was laying in his bed half naked. The time seemed to move by slowly but Alana busied herself by arranging her side of the closet since she brought over more clothes. Although being engaged only for 3 months, they decided their wedding would be fairly quick. They did not want to wait and so they set the date for Feburary 4, 2016. They survived spending the holidays with both families and Alana had her dress, venue and pastor picked.

 

6:45 PM. Alana heard the door creak open and began walking towards the kitchen until she heard Lucas' voice with another woman.

 

‘What,' Alana said as she walked into their closet and closed the door, ‘Oh my God.' She kept saying in her head as she saw Lucas walk into his bedroom with a blonde woman she recognized - his secretary.

 

Joan.

 

"Lucas, thank you for the necklace," Joan cooed as Lucas kneeled in front of her kissing her abdomen.

 

"Anything for my pet," Lucas said to her.

 

Alana covered her mouth as she began trembling in rage.

 

"Also," Joan continued as Lucas slipped her feet out of her shoes, "That was so sweet of you randomly setting up this dinner. You're always so spontaneous."

 

"You like that huh," Lucas smiled as he towered over her.

 

"Keeps me on my toes baby," Joan began kissing him.

 

Alana felt the tears coming and quickly grabbed a robe before violently kicking down the closet door.

 

"What the -" Lucas said with his hands on his belt, "Oh shit, Alana."

 

"Get the fuck out," Alana yelled to Joan who was rushing for her shoes and struggling to button her shirt.

 

"Meeting at 7," Alana placed her hands on her hips, "MEETING AT 7."

 

She continued repeating since it was not fully processing what had just happened.

 

"Alana, this was a one time thing," Lucas tried to place his hands on Alana but was met with a fierce block.

 

Without another word Alana began taking her clothes from the closet, the toothbrush, the hair products, the pots and pans; anything that was hers found itself in front of Lucas' front door. She took her ring off and threw it out of his 14th floor penthouse.

 

"ALANA," Lucas yelled, "THAT RING COST MILLIONS"

 

"FUCK YOU," Alana yelled as she called one of her interns.

 

"Come pick me up at 203 Water Street. I know you have a Wrangler. Bring it. I have a lot of shit to pack in your car kiddo," she said calmly, "Thanks. You'll be paid for this don't worry."

 

She turned around and faced Lucas who was staring at Alana the same way when he met her in Cipriani. The look that made her melt in his hands but this time it fueled her rage.

 

"Good luck explaining to your family why the wedding is off," Alana laughed as she opened the door.

 

"Can we talk about this?," Lucas said as he watched her move her things into the hallway.

 

"Sure. Get a fucking bellboy to come help me get my shit," Alana said as she continued grabbing her things.

 

"I don't even know why I did that," Lucas began speaking to himself, "It wasn't you I swear. I have a problem."

 

Alana stopped for a second and laughed, "Oh yeah, and what's that."

 

"I get bored - I am sorry Alana. I love you and you know that," Lucas continued.

 

"You get bored because you did not do anything spontaneous for us. You... why am I even talking to you. You're a cheater. A CHEATER. Just like my father," Alana said and took out her phone, "Since you won't fucking call the front desk I'll call them."

 

She moved out her things and the bellboy knew the two very well and could tell - the wedding was completely off.  Between Lucas sitting on the sofa and staring at Alana move all of her things and Alana's tears as she moved around the ‘it' couple was no more. After grabbing the last of her things she took her copy of his key and placed it on the counter table before grabbing Lucas's that he always kept in the same spot. So practical. She took off her apartment key and pocketed it before closing his door.

 

            "Don't call me, send me flowers, try to get friends to get me to change my mind. I want nothing to do with you. Call the photographer, as well as the catering and cancel, it was going on your card," Alana said as she closed the door.

 

            Entering the elevator she looked down at her hand without her engagement ring. That was when it all hit her. Sobbing in an elevator surrounded by her belongings and a silent bell boy - the NYC chic lady looked defeated. Truthfully she was.

 

            Her intern, a 2L named Samantha looked up to her boss and did not know how to process the image of Alana she had in front of her. She was wearing leggings, running shoes and a baggy hoody with bloodshot eyes.

 

            "Are you alright Ms. Harrison?," Samantha asked as she opened her trunk.

 

            Alana returned to lawyer mode, "You will be compensated two time pay rate."

 

            "It's alright Ms. Harrison," Samantha said as they sat in her Jeep, "You appear to have gone through a lot and I'm just happy I can help."

 

            Silence. Alana's sob filled in the car and Samantha did not know if it was acceptable for her to touch her boss or not. She did. Placing a comforting hand on her boss she asked, "Want to tell me what happened? Or do you want me to call the 3."

 

            The 3 were Alana's college friends that also lived and worked in the city. "Call the 3," Alana sobbed, "The bastard cheated on me."

 

            Samantha stayed silent as she called Uzo, Kim, and Delores explaining that they needed to find themselves in SoHo as soon as possible with ample amounts of wine.

Uzo was from Nigeria and met Alana in their freshman hall and bonded over their love of Jodeci. Uzo knew every party connection there ever was and as a succesful instagram fashion blogger and CEO of a tech start up - she still had all the connections.

Kim, or Kim Possible as they called her, was a 10th Grade Writing teacher at an inner school. She was always passionate about educating students that were less fortunate and she was slowly becoming a commonly heard name among the NYC Board of Education for Directors.

Delores was the wild child who somehow managed to graduate from Harvard Medical and maintain a social life while completing her residency at NYU Medical. 

Between the four there was a CEO model, teacher, lawyer and doctor. They leaned on each other during the hardest of times but always rejoiced whenever someone succeeded in life because they each saw each other grind in undergrad.

            Moving in all of her things into her apartment she realized perhaps it was time for a new place. Her placed was cluttered but it was nothing Alana couldn't fix. She turned on her Adele playlist and began going through her things and throwing out anything that was Lucas related or made her even think about him.

            "Oh shit," Delores said opening the door seeing Alana with trashbags and Hello playing in the background.

            "This may be worse than when she broke up with you know who," Kim whispered as they walked over trash bags filled with Lucas' clothes.

            "Hey guys," Alana said gulping wine, "Grab a bag and help me clean."

            "Alana," Uzo said trying to slow down her friend, "Girl."

            "The sooner I do this, the sooner I get over him and get back to work," Alana said filling up her glass again.

 

            "You gonna tell us why we're doing this," Uzo inquired.

 

            The four finally stared at each other. Letting her wine glass hang by her thigh Alana stopped the music blasting from her phone. She couldn't find the words to explain to her friends what just happened. Instead she stared in between them and replayed the scene.

 

            "Shit...." Kim said, "He fucked her up bad."

 

            "I caught him cheating on me with his secretary Joan. He had a meeting at 7 and so I decided to go over and surprise him for when he got home. Got trapped in the closet - Delores don't you dare sing that song right now, and I saw them about to get it on and I busted out and now I am here. So. Help. Me. The. Fuck. Out. Ladies," Alana said errily calm.

 

            Her three friends did not say another word but instead took Alana's phone and switched the playlist from Adele to Toni Braxton & Whitney Houston. What was supposed to be the worst night of her life, Alana spent it with her three ex-bridesmaids singing, drinking, and laughing while clearing out her place.

 

            "Much better," Alana looked on after the four finished their work, "Thanks guys. Love you."

 

            The four hugged each other then looked at the clock 3 AM.

‘Fuck', they all said.

Delores looked at Alana and started laughing whie yelling at her friend, "Bitch you should have told me to bring some damn scrubs! I have work in 3 hours. Lawd."

 

The four all laughed until they fell asleep and somehow managed to each make it to work on time. 

             












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.