Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Ari was ready for bed before Dean called her back. She lie on the covers reading a book as she tried very hard not to think about hearing from him. She knew he would call when he was ready. When the phone rang, she sighed before she picked up.

"Katarina," he said with a smile in his voice.

"Don't," she said with anger as a vein throbbed in her forehead.

"Don't what?"

"Try to sweet talk me."

"What?"

"Don't play dumb, you call me that because you know it turns me on and earlier you were….angry like it's not your baby too."

"I was surprised.. I needed to think."

Maybe she was right it was pass time to turn her on. Sam looked in the window to see Dean roll his eyes.

"About what? It's our baby, I am having it here or somewhere else," she said as she leaned back on the bed with her arms over her stomach.

"Ari, please, you had to know I would be surprised."

"Yeah , I figured that but, it wasn't all my fault I got pregnant. I felt like you had to decide if I could have this baby, that isn't right."

"I agree," he said as he tried to appease her anger, he added "I am partially to blame, it's our baby like you said. I want you there at home pregnant, not anywhere else."

"Are you sure? I mean I will love this child either way, can you say that?"

"Yes."

Both were quiet for long moments. He had not considered that she might be upset by his response. It had not been the most loving. He knew she was stubborn sometimes but he hadn't meant to hurt her feelings.

"Ari, you know I am not good with this emotional stuff, I will probably make a horrible father."

"No, you are a gentle person when you want to be, you will be fine."

"I hope so."

He closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry I was angry, I just wished you were here then you …"

"It's okay. I do need to tell you something."

"What?"

"I am in the hospital."

"What?" she asked as she leaned up on the bed.

"I was in an accident a couple of weeks ago."

---

He told her about the fall off a rooftop. He explained how he had broken his leg and pulled a few muscles in his back, though there was more to that part that he did not share. He emphasized how lucky he had been to make it out alive. His heart had taken the fall well and there were no problems in that area.

"All this time you have been calling me from a hospital bed?"

"I didn't want you to worry. And now that I know you are expecting I am glad I didn't mention it."

"Okay, so you are doing well?"

"Yeah they are letting me out at the end of the week."

"Good, then I can beat you to a pulp for keeping things from me, once you are better," she teased.

Dean laughed, spitfire woman.

"So now that you're preggers, can we still make love?"

Ari laughed as she leaned back to close her eyes.

"Oh absolutely."

"Good to know," he said with a smile.

----

Missouri was glad to see a smile on Ari's face the next morning.

"So you talked to Dean?"

Ari nodded as she had a seat at the table where Missouri had placed the meal.

"Oh, you didn't have to go through this trouble if I get up late we just have cereal."

"No problem its fun to cook, I love it," Missouri said as she rubbed her round stomach.

Ari smiled her thanks.

"Where is Amber?"

"She went to get the pictures she painted this morning, she asked to put them on the refrigerator and I assumed it was okay."

Amber came in the room with two watercolor drawings. One of Missouri and one of her and Ari.

"Those are nice," Ari said.

They were very detailed for a four year old. Ari raised an eyebrow as she watched Missouri as she reviewed the pictures.

"Very nice," she said to the little girl as she used the magnets on the door to hang them.

"Okay, Munchkin, sit down before the breakfast gets cold."

"Okay, Mommy," she said with a smile at the two woman as she took a seat.

---

Later that evening after Amber was in bed Missouri spoke in low tones to Ari in the living room.

"I think your daughter has a gift. I mean besides being extremely smart for her age her drawings were more than good."

"I saw that." Ari said.

"Is there any history of genius' in your family?"

"None that I know, except my grandfather was unusually adapt in the stock market."

They both looked at one another when there was a knock on the door.

"Expecting anyone?" Missouri asked.

"No, I'm not."

A minute later, there was more knocking this time harder and more persistent. Ari grabbed the shotgun out of the pantry. Missouri smiled. They both went downstairs to the door. Missouri in front Ari behind with the gun.

They laughed when they saw it was Dean. He used his crutches to bam on the door. He looked irritated.

"Dean, what are you doing here you said you were not getting out until the end of the week."

"Glad to see your old man, huh?" he said as he grimaced from the pain in his back.

Ari gave Missouri the shotgun so she could help Dean to the downstairs. There was no way he was ready to climb stairs.

"I will let you two talk," Missouri said as she headed up stairs.

"Good to see you," Dean said to her retreating back.

"You flew?" Ari asked with a smile.

"Yes, it was horrible. I would have been terrified if it had not been for the nice flight attendants helping me."

"Oh really?" Ari said with a raised eyebrow.

She helped him prop his leg up on the sofa.

"None of them were a beautiful as you but I had to pretend to get the first class treatment," he said with a dimpled grin.

"Whatever works," she said as she pretended to be jealous.

--

Dean explained how the last couple of days he had been up and around in the wheelchair and practicing on the crutches. The doctor said that he could stay and convalesce a few more days or leave. He wanted to get out so bad he let Sam and the others have the Impala to continue the hunt.

"Sam could not stop laughing as I tried not to get sick at the thought of getting on the damn plane. What a jerk," he said with a smile.

Ari smiled. She plumped a pillow to put behind his head, though he needed two to support his back. It was a good thing the sofa was oversized and comfortable. He watched her with no desire to stop. She caught him staring but didn't mind. She missed the sight of him too. She knelt beside the sofa so she could lean in to kiss him. She lay her hand lightly on his stomach as she pressed her lips against his. This was why she was pregnant, she couldn't resist him. It was no accident, she believed it was fate.

Dean's cell rang before they were done but he figured he should answer it to tell his brother he was on the ground safely. Ari grabbed the phone for Dean from his jacket.

A piece of paper fell to the floor as she gave it to him.

"Hey Sammy."

Ari picked up the paper to see it had a phone number on it.

"Yeah I'm fine. Ari is taking care of me now I am good hands."

Ari looked at him but he had leaned back to close his eyes so he did not see the sad expression on her face. She put the paper in her pocket. I cannot believe he would do this. I should ask, I don't want to be upset. I need to trust him, there may be a reason, it could be for hunting.

"Take care of my other baby, no hanky panky with Jo in my car," Dean teased his brother.

--

Ari bit her lip as she went to the kitchen to make a sandwich for her fiancé. She felt bad about keeping the number. She did trust him, but he was only human. She sighed as she leaned on the counter. I will ask, I would rather know. She took the sandwich in to the living room with a couple of drinks. He sat up when he saw her.

"Hey you okay? You're not feeling sick are you?"

"No, I'm fine. I .. um.."

"What?" he asked as he looked questioningly at her.

"Dean this fell from your pocket when I got the phone," she said as she handed him the number.

He looked at it but it was unfamiliar to him. He shrugged.

"Ari I don't know whose number this is."

"Maybe a friendly flight attendant."

"I didn't get any numbers, I am engaged," he said as he looked sincerely into her eyes.

"No?"

"Of course not, hey let's dial it to find out. Then we will both know."

The phone on the other end rang while he stroked her face with his fingers. He needed her to believe him and hoped like crazy it was not the number a flight attendant.

"Hello?"

"Who is this?" Dean asked.

"You called, who is this?" the man said.

"Gabe?"

"Yeah who is this?"

"Oh man, its Dean. You helped us on some research in Des Moines a couple weeks ago. I'm sorry I found your number and could not remember who it belonged to."

"Oh yeah, how did that turn out?"

"Good we got everything taken care of."

"Glad to hear that."

"Yeah, sorry to bother you."

"No problem, take care."

Ari felt silly, it didn't help her emotions were in a jumble. Dean was relieved but he had known he was innocent, this time.

"I'm sorry," she said as she opened the can for him.

"Don't be, I know I have a reputation with the ladies."

"I trust you, I really do."

"I guess my goofing around earlier didn't help."

"Let's forge it."

They split the sandwich since Dean had eaten on the plane, but they ate in silence. After ward, Dean told Ari about Sam's vision. She was floored and more than a bit sad.

"Knowing that your child will die in a battle with evil, is surreal. However, maybe there is a way we can avoid this from happening. I mean we have like twelve years."

"That's true. So I may be having twin boys?"

"Looks like it."

"Double trouble?"

He laughed, " Two more stubborn Winchesters."

"What have I gotten myself into?" she laughed.

---

When they finished the snack, Dean made room for Ari on the sofa after she cut out the lights.

"I need to tell you something," she said as she leaned on his shoulder.

He touched her stomach though they had not discussed the baby, somehow just having his hand there made it all more real to him.

"More news?"

"Well, Milton has been around lately."

"What?"

"Just with the horses and he took Amber riding a couple of mornings when I felt sick."

"Oh?"

"It meant nothing to me, but it was nice for Amber."

"I don't want him coming around here," Dean insisted with anger in his voice.

"I know, but his niece is coming next week and she is Amber's age. I thought…"
"Ari I don't like him if Amber needs riding friends we should take her to a riding school where she can meet girls her age to ride with."

"You're right. I will let him know."

"No, I will let him know," he said as he put his arm around her and kissed her forehead.

Ari bit her lip, she knew he was right. Though she had no desire for Milton she had a feeling his coming around was just a way of him getting into her life.

"Okay, that's fine."

"You aren't disappointed you won't see him again are you?"

He tilted his head as he looked at her. He still had to get used to being in love, he certainly needed her to be in it wholeheartedly. No rivals, no men friends hanging around.

"No, not at all. I only need one man in my life."

"Good," he said as he reached to pull her close for another kiss.

---

Sam, Jo and Chet went straight to the motel for the night after they made certain Dean was on the plane.

"He is such a sissy," Jo said as she threw her bag on the bed.

Sam stood at the door.

"Funny you were crazy about that sissy," he said a bit bitter.

"Well that is all over. So your brother is going to be a father, which will be interesting."

"That I agree with. But, Dean has parenting skills, though they may be a bit dormant, he raised me and I turned out fine."

"That is true," she said as she stood in front of Sam with her arms crossed.

"Don't start Jo."

"Oh are you scared of me now?"

Sam turned to leave, he didn't want to play games with her.

"I like you but I think we jumped ahead of ourselves."

"So you didn't enjoy it?"

"I didn't say that, I just think we should know each other better before we go that route again, that's all."

"Maybe I shouldn't tell you this but might help, though no one else knows, sit down," Jo said as she blocked the door to the room.

explained to him about how she began down the slippery slope to sleeping around.

It happened at the roadhouse when her mother had gone to visit her sister. One of the hunters had gotten himself hurt and Jo had volunteered to clean him up in the backroom. After she bandaged him up, he thanked her by raping her. She was sixteen years old, but never told her mother because she thought she could deal with it on her own. Over the years, she said the time just never seemed right to bring it up. The more time passed the more she didn't want anyone to know she had been so stupid. She could attest to all the horrible victim stories she ever read. She never felt worth much, always liked the wrong men, felt for some reason like sex could make her feel better though it was always the opposite.

"Sam you were the only man that I have been with that gives a damn."

Sam couldn't help but to hold her in his strong arms as she cried.

TBC