Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I have been hesitating on posting because I have not ended this fic as of yet.  It is on it's last legs though at Chapter Fourteen :)


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sam watched his brother as he ate a sandwich at his kitchen table. Dean still had a healthy appetite but he balanced out with hard workouts and sex with his wife or so Sam guessed with a grin.
“What?” Dean asked with a smirk as he looked up at Sam who stood over him in a double-breasted navy blue suit. 
“Nothing just nothing.”
“Very intellectual words for the assistant District Attorney,” Dean teased him.
“Yeah well I am saving my hundred dollar words for people who pay for them,” Sam teased him back just before Lydia came in the room with Marianne in her arms. 
The little girl looked sweet with her halo of Blonde hair and sparkling blues eyes. She grinned when she saw both Sam and Dean. Dean wiped his hands and reached up to pull her into his arms. She went to him easily as he kissed her hair.
“You always surprise me with her Dean.”
“Hey she likes me just be happy.”
“Yeah she doesn’t like most people and we have found out the hard way,” Lydia said with a frown.
---
Sam was concerned by the dreams he had begun to have about Joanna and her past. He had received a quite a bit of information since he stopped searching for the baby’s origins. It was as though Joanna preferred to give him her version while he rested. Unfortunately that meant he was only getting one side of the story he knew that could be a problem. Lydia had recommended he do more research but his caseload was heavy and he rarely had time to think of anything else let alone a stray moment to do a search. She had volunteered to do it but he had yet to make time to write what he could down. He felt frustrated as though some how he wasn’t doing all he could for Marianne. He had been happy to see his brother that morning. Dean always made him smile though there was little time to talk since he had walked in, grabbed a bowl and sat down only moments after he exclaimed he had taken the day off. 
---
“Well not everyone is as sweet to her as her uncle Dean, right sweetie,” he said.
“Yeah they are cute at that age,” Lydia reminisced as she pulled a bowl out of the kitchen for herself.
“Okay, well I have to go, see you all later,” Sam said as he leaned down to kiss Lydia on the lips and then leaned in to kiss Marianne who reached for his nose.
“Later, Sweetie, I love you.”
“You too,” he said as he walked out the back door.
“You too?” Dean asked in Lydia direction as she sat down across from him.
“What?”
“Kind of generic, no wonder you don’t have the same glow as my wife,” he laughed.
Lydia laughed with him; they all knew that Cassie glowed from all the attention Dean showered on her. Though Sam wasn’t slack in the area, he was just busier. 
“Well we can’t all be as lucky as your wife. How is Alyssa doing?”
Dean sighed, “She confessed everything now she wants to go on the pill,” he said as he looked down at Marianne who played with a toy in his lap she had in her hand when Lydia brought her in the kitchen. 
---
Lydia shook her head that was what Cassie had told her. She also knew they had warned Alyssa against getting the pills at school 
“You know Dean some of this is your fault.”
“What?”
“The girl is gorgeous; she is tall, exotic looking and um filled out. She has that look in her eyes that is mysterious and overly wise. She can’t help that teenage hormones come with the package.”
“My fault?”
“Focus Dean,” Lydia said with a smile at her clueless brother in law.
“Okay so she got my height, both of our good looks,” he said with a smirk, “Someone else’s full bosom and that exotic look that some multi racial kids have. None of that is any thing I could help.”
“I know I was just pointing out that well this is the beginning of you trying to keep your sanity while boys lust after your appealing daughter and she tries to find it inside herself to do the right thing.”
“The beginning huh?”
“Yep, well how is the planning going for the party tomorrow night? Mackey can’t wait.”
“Um it’s some over night thing and they are going some where later,” Dean said vaguely.
“You haven’t a clue huh?”
“Nope, I just handed over the credit card my job is done,” he laughed.
Lydia smiled. She hoped MacKenzie stayed sweet but it wasn’t likely she realized and Sam had been overly lucky so far with their kids. 
---
Sam’s court case was the kind he hated most, where the family was pitted against one another. This time a mother had been accused of killing her daughter by the girl’s father. The mother was convinced that the little girl had a disease that had caused her premature death. Her in-laws where up in a snit because they didn’t believe the woman because she was young. Sam believed the mother and had gathered evidence including statistics and medical information on several well-known conditions that caused bruising. The type thing that was found on the little girl. 
---
Unfortunately, nothing had come up conclusive mostly because the little girl had been a toddler and many diseases mimicked the symptoms when they occurred in children. He wrinkled his brow as he got up to take off his jacket to get comfortable at his desk. Someone tapped on his partially opened door as he sat back down.
“Hey Mr. Reese I have a package for you,” Lacey said.
“Thanks Lacey,” he replied as she placed the item on the desk.
---
Once she closed the door Sam opened the package. It was more data he needed to go through. He separated the information into two piles one for him and one for Lacey, his temporary secretary. He gave her the less complicated data while he took the information that corresponded with the experts he would have to interview. 

He bit his lip before the door opened again, this time without a knock. 
“Dad?” Logan said as he walked in the room then re-shut the door.
“Hey son, what are you doing here?”
“Um, I knew you would be late tonight and I wanted to talk to you.”
Sam pointed to a seat across from him. Logan hesitated to say anything at first. He didn’t look Sam in the eye and he seemed uneasy.
“What’s up son?”
“I um have a situation.”
Sam’s heart raced for a second something told him he knew what the next words were going to be.
“Sure just tell me Logan,” he insisted in his best father’s voice.
“Um Linda and I have never slept together but do you remember Jenn?”
“You mean last year’s girlfriend, Jenn?” Sam asked with a note of disapproval in his voice that Logan heard clearly.
“Yeah her.”
“Sure, she was a brunette with matching brown eyes, right?”
Logan nodded.
“Yeah, um, I have kinda been seeing her too?”
“Okay well you’re young maybe getting serious is not going to happen yet…..”
“Dad she’s pregnant and she wants an abortion.”
“What?”
---
Alyssa bit her lip as she waited for Dean to pick her up from the library as she sat outside on the steps of the three-story building. Since she told them about wanting to be more independent, she had begun to have strange dreams. A couple had come true. Just little stuff. But it frightened her and she had researched dreams at the library. As she sat she tried to be calm, she never considered she would have a gift like Logan or her Uncle Sam. Though she had been told that her uncle’s gift was random most times. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment only to hear the sound of her father’s car horn. 
---
“Hey,” he said as she got in the car.
“Hey, Dad.” 
She put her seat belt on but said nothing else. Dean looked over a couple of times but she seemed closed off from him and he hated the feeling. Lydia’s conversation came to mind, it’s partially your fault. She can’t help the way she looks or her raging hormones.
“Hey you okay?”
“Dad, why would I have a gift like Uncle Sam? I mean I’m your daughter right?”
Dean had to smile at that thought he knew he shouldn’t.
“Yeah you are mine baby girl.”
“Oh Dad, I’m serious.” 
“I’m sorry but I have the feeling those type gifts skip around. Why do you think you even have one?”
This doesn’t sound good.
“I was in history and I got a flash in my head you know I could see the hallway and people coming and going then I saw Logan with Jenn.”
“His old girlfriend?”
Alli rolled her eyes Cassie style, Dean frowned.
“Okay, carry on.”
“Anyway they are never together I mean not in a long time. So I thought it was just you know a memory then I went out after class and there they were talking in the hall.”
“That’s not proof Alli.”
“That was only the start Dad.”
She went on to tell him of two other incidents that she saw before they happened. Dean began to worry right away. There lives were finally on track they damn demon should of died of old age by now. He took a deep breathe as he recalled with less panic that some gifts were truly gifts and not from evil sources like his poor brother’s,
“Oh, sounds like your Uncle Sam’s area of expertise. You can call him later.”
She put her hands in her lap with a sigh.
“Yeah I will I did some research but it’s all speculation. Dad what if it’s the Demon?”
Dean kept his eyes on the road, his thoughts exactly.
---
Sam leaned back in his chair as he eyed his son. He believed his worse fears had come true. Logan was just like Dean. The young man had seemed so in control but Dean had warned him that Logan was as he put it “cocky and a true Winchester.” Sam sighed as he ran his hands through his hair. He should have been thankful that Logan felt he could come to him. Yes, I will keep my focus on that, he could have borrowed the money the girl could have had an abortion and I would not have been the wiser.
“So that is the plan she wants an abortion? What did you say? How do you know it’s yours?”
Logan hesitated a bit to long and Sam began to wonder if he was telling him a half truth.
“Logan, I asked you a question, son.”
“Um…..”
“Yes?”
“Okay maybe it’s not my baby, I mean we were you know together when we dated but….”
Then it dawned on Sam, again he had misread his son. When did it get easier? He was relieved and felt awful that he had assumed the worse. 
“Logan, if the baby isn’t yours…..”
“Dad, I think I still have feelings for Jenn, she needs the money for the abortion her guy is totally walking away. He is older and does not care…I have to do something.”
He reminds me of myself, how can I blame him? 
“Logan, I get it okay. Promise me that you won’t come here again and give me a heart attack, okay.”
Logan smiled for the first time since he came in the office. He leaned forward on the desk and Sam saw Lydia in his son’s eyes. Our handsome young man.
“I won’t, she is just so desperate I don’t want her to do something stupid.”
Sam nodded as he took out his checkbook.
“How much?”
“Four hundred to be sure if that is too much she will give you the rest back. I am going with her dad.”
“Of course you are, Logan, I wouldn’t expect anything else from you.”
“Thank you.”

TBC