Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow sorry it's been a bit. I got sick (stomach flu), and had finals to do but I'm done with all that now so updates should be more frequent.

I wanted to update now so I just put up what has been quickly betaed so excuse the mistakes and such. This is in two parts because the other part isn't all that good so I'm revising it but it should be up soon (hopefully) or at least sooner in terms of from my first update to this one.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


To really get a grasp of the unusual whirlwind that is Mars Nicasio's life, one needs to understand the usual group of friends in which he occupies himself with, starting with his fun-loving roommate Kylie better known as Kyle Summers.

Kyle had the typical family set up. She was an only child, her father was a dentist and her mother a stay at home-mum. She was a normal kid, with a normal family until the age of 17 after a bought of extremely disappointing sex with the captain of the lacrosse team she made a life changing revelation. She was a lesbian.

The revelation gave her an exponential boost of confidence, for she felt as though she'd finally found herself, but this revelation was not what made it so life changing. Her revelation triggered something that was really unexplainable, something rarely, something unique. This something was later uncreatively dubbed, The Kyle Effect by Mars.

This so-called "Kyle Effect" is characterized by the strange effect that Kyle has on other women within a short period of time of being around them. Sexual orientation seems to be cancelled out as almost every woman swoons when she is around as if she were a sexual magnet. But only almost, so this daunting almost is where our story picks back  up...

Maya

Chess

Mars sat in his office chair aimlessly wondering around on his computer ignoring the ever growing work load that was piling on his desk and on his computer. His fingers moved in excitement against the keyboard, for in a few minutes the mail chart would make its daily rounds and for the first time in a long time he would receive a package. The package itself served no real importance to him as it was just a favor bore onto him from Leland after gaining information of the new mail carrier, Maya Selite.

How he gained information of the new mail carrier is of no importance (he may or may not have looked up every Maya in the building to find her), but he could barely contain himself in his excitement at seeing her again.

His mind raced, going over what he'd say when she arrived, what he'd do.  Their first interaction had been awkward at the least and this time he didn't want to appear as awkward as he really was. That could wait for later.

"The Pelican is on route."

Mars quirked his eyebrows looking over to his side at Leland resting his head on the short wall that separated them.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your hot mail carrier is here."

Mars' mouth opened and closed with nothing clever to say (though he never really said anything clever anyway) before he just took to rolling his chair back peeking out into the hallway, looking out as Maya used her back to push open the glass door to the work area, trying to drag the mail cart into the room the wheels stuck on the metal bump underneath the door. Mars combed his fingers through his hair, taking a deep breath before he stood and made his way over to her.

"Let me help you with that." Maya looked up at him, her lips breaking into a bright smile bring a smile to his face.

"That would be greatly appreciated."

Maya stepped to the side, giving him room to take hold of the cart. He grabbed the metal pole that hung from a string on the handle, pressing it against one of the wheels and pushed the cart back over the metal bump into the room, the door closing behind it.

"You are amazing." Maya gawked doing a miniature bow. "This whole time I was wondering why there was a metal pole hanging from that thing and now I know."

Mars flipped his hand dismissively at her and tied the pole back to the handle.

"It's simple you just have to know how to work the pole." His eyes widened and her eyebrows quirked at him. He was blowing this even before he really even had a chance to do anything. "Not work the pole, but ah-you know-work with the pole."

He scratched the back of his head nervously. "It's simple once you learn how to work with the pole to help push the right wheel through."

Maya laughed, a smile wider than before on her face.

"Do you want to make the rounds with me till we reach your desk?"

He let out a relieved breath."Yeah that would be awesome."

"Alright, I'll push the cart." Mars shifted to the side allowing Maya to grab the handle. "You can hand out the mail."

Maya turned the cart to face the aisles of cubicles before them, with him following over to her side. They began their adventure, walking down the aisle as he picked up the first package of mail taking out the rubber band around the bundle his eyes searching the cubicles for the names printed on each letter.

"So Mars what do you do here?"

He shrugged. "Usually nothing but of late I've been getting actual work and I'm starting to ask myself the same question."

Maya chuckled as he tossed some mail into a cubical, happy that she assumed that he was joking. He really had begun to wonder about what he was assigned to do day by day, since he really hadn't been trained in his job he just usually looked at what Leland was doing and attempted to copy him.

"Gasp."

"I know it's ridicules." Mars threw down the letters in their destined cubical picking up a new load. "So do you do anything besides working in the vastly lucrative market of mail?"

"I'm a painter." Maya said. "I was doing the whole starving artist thing up until I remembered how much I like food and decided to get a "proper" job."

"Are you a Pollack, style post-modern painter?" Mars looked over to her with a raised eyebrow. "Because if so you're going to have to explain the concept of it to me."

"When I figure it out I'll tell you." Maya laughed, looking over at him. "I'm not a fan of the Pollack, style post-modernism. I'm starting to think that it might just be a load of crap."

He gasped, snapping his head to look at her dramatically. "Are you allowed to say that?"

"I'm not really sure." Maya said, biting her bottom lip. "But I've always been a something of a rule breaker."

Mars smiled at her picking up a medium sized box with his name stamped on it from the mail cart as they neared his office, Leland's eyes obviously sliding over them in a failed attempt at sedulity.

"This is my stop." Mars throw the box down on his desk leaning his shoulder against the short wall. "Well, backtracking a bit you said you liked food right?"

"Oh yeah can't live without the stuff." Maya said, stopping in front of his desk, the cart taking up a large chunk of the room in the hallway. "Do you like food too?"

"Coincidently I do."

"Freaky."

"I know right. So now that that is established do you also like sandwiches?"

She nodded her head, and swayed her body as if contemplating the question. "Meat, veggies and the possibility of cheese all packed between two slices of bread. What's not to like?"
"Well me and my friends are planning on going to this place that makes awful nice sandwiches at lunch in about an hour and now that I know that you like both food and sandwiches maybe you'd like to tag along?" He said and she smiled nodding her head in agreement much to his relief.

"What's the place called?"

"The Sandwich Shop"

"Straight forward, I like it already."She shrugged and her eyes drifted to the box on his desk. "Alright so what's in the box? Every time I look at it peeks my curiosity."

Mars pushed off the wall, picking the package up from his desk and giving it a good shake. A faint rattling sound came from it peeking his own curiosity. He thought it would be empty.

"Dude, what's in here?" Mars looked down into Leland's cubical, causing him to rise from his chair with a huge grin on his face and a letter opener in his hand.

"Wait, why did your cubical neighbor send you a package?" Maya quirked her eyebrow looking at him than at Leland. "You could have just handed it to him."
Mars paused, looking at Leland and flashing him a nervous smile. He didn't know what to say now.

"Because it's no fun that way." Leland said dismissively. "Leland Hunte, never got to properly introduce myself before amongst all the awkward last night."

"Maya Selite." Maya said, raising her hand to give him a small wave and a warm smile. "Nice to properly meet you."

Leland handed Mars the letter opener, Maya and his attention now devoted to him and the box. Mars stabbed the tape line, pulling it across and put the letter opener down to ripe open the sides of the box. He stuck his hand into the packing peanuts that filled the box, his hand grabbing hold of another box inside. He looked at Leland with a mildly confused look on his faceas he pulled the box out. He wasn't actually expecting to get anything.

He pulled the box out, his eyes widening and his confusion turning into pure excitement.

"Walkie-talkie's?" Maya questioned as he opened the box, pulling the marvelous devices out and tossing one over to Leland. Her eyes shifted between the two." Why did you get walkie-talkie's when you sit next to each other?"

"Because they're awesome." Leland excitedly pulled the plastic tab from where the batteries where, Mars following lead. He pressed down on the square talk button sinking down into his cubical. " This is awesome right, over."

"Kyle is going to be so jealous, over." Mars giggled (a manly giggle) and looked over at Maya, his excitement still painted plain on his face. "Uh, yeah we're kinda odd, sorry."

Maya flapped her hand dismissively at him.

"Don't apologize."

Maya's attention drifted back to the aisle ahead of her and she glanced back at him. "I've got to go finish my rounds, but I'll see you at lunch."
"Alright, I'll see you then." Mars waved as she pushed her cart away from him, continuing her voyage around the cubicals.

"I like her, over."

~

Drinking was a strange and magical thing to Kyle. One minute she's partying it up in the Blue Moon the next thing she remembers she's waking up in a spacey loft not too far from her place naked with a random woman lying next to her. Magic.

This magical thing had given her a good time and gotten her laid, but as she sat in the board room with her dark Ray Bands covering her eyes from the bright blaring luminescent lights above, her head throbbing like a drum she remembered the truth. With this great magical gift came a curse, known as the mind fucking hangover.

Kyle leaned back in her chair her legs stretched out in front of her, slowly drifting to sleep as Eric her supervisor went on about production, design, and more boring shit that had to do with work. He went on, flipping though a PowerPoint she could vaguely see through the dark tint of her glasses, making her wish she'd just stayed home or at Emily's (Possibly the name of random woman).

"Kyle?" Eric called out and she flashed him a brief smile in acknowledgement. "Are you listening to me?"

"Nope."

Eric let out a frustrated sigh and she shrugged nonchalantly. She was being honest.

 "Could you go let in the mail girl?" Eric pointed a long thin finger at the door seen through the glass walls outside their enclosed board room. "I think the door locked again."

Kyle groaned as she slowly and reluctantly stood from her seat, and Eric resumed his boring ass PowerPoint. She walked out of the board room through the aisles of offices to the glass door to the large work room. The mail carrier stood leaning back against the wall, outside the room waiting patiently, her attention to a small device in her hands.

Kyle pulled open the door wide, the mail carrier's bright mahogany eyes drifting over to her. The woman placed the device into the pocket of her skinny jeans, a large smile spreading on her face as she grabbed the handle of the mail cart.

Kyle's eyes conspicuously drifted over the woman's curvy body, her eyes lingering a moment longer on her cleavage displayed nicely by her red checked button up shirt. Kyle smiled at the woman, her day apparently looking up.

"Thanks."

The woman pushed the cart inside, passing Kyle towards the aisles and Kyle followed by her side.

"Name's Kyle by the way." Kyle stuck her hand out towards her, seeming to catch the woman off guard with her conversation. "I pretty much know everyone who works here so  it's important that I know you."

"Maya." Maya said accepting her hand, smiling brightly. "So now I guess you know everyone instead of pretty much everyone."

"Exactly." Kyle nodded. "Some of those people are even lucky enough to be friends with me."

"Awesome."Kyle's smile waned a bit hearing slight disinterest in her voice, something she wasn't used to.

"So before what was it you had?" Kyle said hoping to reel her interest back to her. "That you stuffed in your pocket."

Maya turned to look over at her for the first time since the brief glance she'd given her since she'd opened the door for her and smiled quickly before returning her attention in front of her.

"An old gameboy I found in the mail room." Maya said. "It's old school, had Mario in it and I just couldn't resist."

Kyle laughed, biting her bottom lip as she realized how long it had been since she'd had to have any sort of conversation with a woman she liked/wanted to bang. Relatively no words had to be spoken whenever she picked up girls it was all body language that always ended in a happy ending.

"So I'm thinking  we should get a drink after work or something." Kyle said scratching her head.

Maya's head snapped towards her, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion much to her surprise.

"You're joking right?" Maya chuckled, only adding to Kyle's surprise and mild hurt. "I just met you about five seconds ago. I don't know you."

"But if you go out for a drink with me you will know me." Kyle said, giving her the crooked smile that always got girls, but Maya just shook her head, letting out another mocking chuckle.

"You don't even know if I'm in a relationship or not."

"First thing you would have said if you were." Kyle shrugged. "And believe me when I say you're sexual orientation doesn't really matter."

"Alright." Maya held up her hand signaling for her to stop. "I need to go finish my rounds and you should go do anything but continue to hit on me."

Kyle stopped in her tracks allowing Maya to continue on her way, respecting her wishes. She stuffed her hands in her pockets, watching her walk away in front of her, her pace faster than before. She stood there confused, her ego slightly impaired, but above that intrigued. No woman nor man (as gross and weird it is to think back to those days) had ever rejected her. She walked back towards the board room, looking at Maya with one more passing glance and a sense of persistence building in her chest that she'd been missing for a long time.