Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Author's Chapter Notes:

Character pics:




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Daffy! Where are my black sling backs?” Monica yelled from her bedroom.

 

Daphne sat on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in her lap. She turned the tv up louder to drown out her big sister’s voice. She was used to this. Every time she lost something she accused Daphne of taking it.

 

Monica walked into the living room in a red, satin robe. “Didn’t you hear me? Have you seen my shoes?” She asked becoming irritated.

 

Daphne paused her game. “Yeah, I heard you and no I haven’t seen your shoes.” She returned her attention to the game she was playing.

 

Daphne watched her sister walk away. She rolled her eyes. This was her third date that week and she always gave Daphne a little speech before she left. A speech about how Daphne should fix herself up.  Ever since they were teenagers Monica was the “hot chick” and Daphne was “the hot chick’s little sister.” She loved that she was sexy one while her little sister wasn’t.

 

Monica slipped on her black and blue dress. She examined herself in the mirror. Curves in all the right places, beautiful flowing jet black hair; perfect as always. She could hear loud techno music coming from the living room. She rolled her eyes. Daphne was playing her awful “Friday Night” playlist. How pathetic. She thought to herself. What kind of woman didn’t have a date on a Friday night? Monica knew she was the attractive sister and Daphne was the plain one and she didn’t mind. That explained why Monica always got more attention from guys and even a few girls. Daphne was no competition for Monica. Monica proved that when she made out with a guy Daphne liked right in front her. She laughed to herself remembering the look on Daphne’s face when she saw them.

 

Daphne lied back on the couch listening to the thumping music. She couldn’t wait for Monica to leave so she could have the apartment to herself. It was tiresome being around someone as bitchy as Monica for long periods of time.

 

“What do you think?”

 

Daphne turned down the music. She looked up to see her sister standing in front of the TV.

 

“It’s nice now move.” Daphne said barely paying attention to her.

 

“Are you gonna sit around in sweats all night?” Monica asked not moving an inch.

 

“No. I was thinking about going streaking later.” Daphne said joking.

 

“You should go out. Not with me of course, but with somebody.”

 

“Oh, here we go.” Daphne said preparing to hear her sister’s inevitable “date night” speech.

 

“You know if you fixed yourself up a little and wore and little make-up, you could be cute, maybe not a dime like me, but cute enough.”  Monica said flicking her hair.

 

“And drop that whole “I don’t need a man” feminist Oprah crap. It is not cute.”

 

Daphne examined her nails. She had heard this speech a million times before.

 

“So who's the latest poor fool who wants to date you?” Daphne asked hoping Monica would shut up.

 

“His name is Julian. We met at a dance class, and for your information I asked him out.”

 

Ding. Dong. The door bell rang.

 

“That’s him. I haven’t put on my makeup yet!” Monica panicked.

 

She dashed into the bathroom.

 

“Whoever he is he has questionable taste.” Daphne said talking to herself.

 

She opened the door. In front of her stood a tall, lanky man with spiky, onyx hair. He wore a white shirt, black jeans, and a beat up pair of Vans. Daphne stared at him. He wasn’t the kind of guy Monica usually dated.

 

“Does Monica Clark live here?” He asked.

 

“Right. Yeah, she lives here. Come in.” Daphne said letting him in.

She was still shocked that Monica asked someone like him on a date.

 

“I’ll go see if she’s ready. Make yourself at home.” Daphne said heading towards the bathroom.

 

She walked in closing the door behind her.

 

“You're going out with him? We both know he’s not your type.” Daphne asked her sister.

 

Monica put down her mascara. “He’s a good dancer plus he drives a nice car. Is that all you wanted to know?”

 

Daphne sighed. Her sister was so shallow.

 

“I need about five minutes, go keep him company or something.”  She said pushing Daphne out of the bathroom.

 

Daphne walked back into the living room. She saw Julian sitting on the couch mouthing the words to the song she’d left playing.

 

“Nice playlist.” He said looking over at her.

 

“You like it? Everybody tells me I have terrible taste in music.” Daphne said surprised.

 

“Yeah, there’s not much appreciation for techno. Or “acid tripping” music as my mother would call it.” He said with a smile.

 

Daphne laughed.  He was much more likable than Monica’s other men.

 

“I’m Julian.” He said extending his hand to Daphne.

 

“Daphne.” She said taking his hand. His long fingers wrapped around her small mocha hand.  His grasp firm but tender.

 

“You’re Monica’s little sister? She told me she had a pet named Daphne.”

 

Daphne reluctantly let go of his hand.

 

“She’s a hoot isn’t she?” Daphne said dryly.

 

Julian stared at the TV screen. “You play Mortal Kombat?” He asked excitedly.

 

 “Yeah, but I’m not a gamer geek or anything.” She said slightly embarrassed.

 

He continued staring at the screen.

 

“Wanna play me?’ Daphne asked sensing he wanted to.

 

“Do you think we’ll have time?”

 

“Yeah, I’ll whoop you quick.” Daphne said handing him one of the controls.

 

Grabbing a controller for herself she sat next to Julian.

 

They started the game. Daphne peered over at Julian. He was concentrating hard. It was kind of cute the way he was so into the game.

 

“FINISH HIM!” the game yelled.

 

Daphne looked around to see that Julian’s character had cut her charcater's head off.

 

“I thought you were going to beat me.” He said teasing her.

 

She smiled. “If I hadn’t gotten distracted I would’ve won.”

 

“Oh yeah, what distracted you?” He asked with grin.

 

Before she could answer Monica entered the room.

 

“I’m ready.” She announced.

 

Julian stood from the couch. “You look great.”

 

“I know.” She said arrogantly.

 

She looked down at the controller next to Daphne.

 

“Did Daffy make you play that game with her?”

 

“No. I wanted to play.” Julian said defending Daphne.

 

“Well we should get going.” Monica said grabbing her purse and heading for the door.

 

Julian opened the door for her.

 

“It was nice meeting you Daphne.”  He said.

 

“You too Julian.” Daphne said before shutting the door.

 

She stood in the living room alone. Now she had the place to herself. She went back to the couch. The game still flashed winner on Julian’s character. Running her hands through her thick, kinky, hair she sighed heavily. She stared at the flashing screen.

“How did she get so lucky?” She thought to herself.  Getting a bowl of popcorn, she turned on a movie to take her mind off her sister and her date.

 

---------------

 

“That movie was a little boring. And the lead actress wasn’t that great.  I could’ve played her role. You know I’ve always thought about acting but everyone says I was born to be a model.” Monica said to Julian as they left the restaurant.

 

Julian kept his eyes on the road nodding while Monica spoke about herself. She had been doing that all night. He felt a bit nervous. There was something he had to tell Monica and he knew she wouldn’t like it.

 

She turned on his radio. Techno music blasted from the speakers. She quickly shut it off.

 

“Ew. You have the same musical taste as Daffy.”

 

He stopped the car. He got out and opened Monica’s door. She stepped out.

 

“Wanna come in for some coffee?” She asked.

 

“I don’t think I should.” He said looking down.

 

“Don’t worry Daffy won’t bother us.” She said taking his arm.

 

“No, Monica.” He said removing her hand from his arm.

 

“What’s your problem? “ She asked becoming frustrated. No guy had ever turned her down when she invited him into her house.

 

“Look, Monica you’re a nice woman and I rarely get asked out by women who look like you so I’m flattered but, I don’t think we should see each other again.” Julian stated boldly.

 

“You’re dumping me?” She laughed.

 

“Please, no need to give me the speech. I have plenty of guys and you’re not even at the top of my list.”

 

He pulled out a piece a paper and wrote something on it.

 

“Do you think you could give this to Daphne?” Julian asked handing Monica the paper.

 

“What the hell is this? You want me to give your number to my little sister!” She shrieked.

 

“I’m sorry, I just think we have more in common.”

 

She stormed off without saying another word leaving Julian.

----------

 

Monica threw open the door to their apartment. Daphne lay on the couch asleep. She stomped over to Daphne and threw the paper hard at her head. Daphne’s eyes fluttered opened.

 

“Why are you throwing stuff at me?” She asked half asleep.

 

“Because I’m giving you something that’s mine. Again.” Monica yelled.

 

Daphne sat up more alert. “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

“I’m talking about 20 fucking years of “Monica share your toys with Daphne”, “Share your clothes, your crayons, your whole damn life with Daphne.”

She fumed.

 

Daphne stood up. “I don’t know what your problem is but you need to fix it.”

 

“You’re my problem. I’m tired of giving everything to you.”

 

“Give me?!  You’ve never given me shit. I didn’t like your stupid toys or your ugly clothes. You dress like a hooker. Even when we were little you dressed like a baby tramp.” Daphne yelled back at Monica.

 

“I share this house with your ungrateful ass!” Monica screeched.

 

“Please, I pay rent.” Daphne said getting angrier.

 

Monica bent down and picked up the piece of paper she had thrown at Daphne. She threw it at her again.

 

Daphne caught it and unfolded the paper. “What is this?”

 

Monica rolled her eyes. “Don’t act like you don’t know it’s Julian’s number. I can’t believe you were out here flirting with him.”

 

Daphne stood quietly. She couldn’t believe Julian wanted to talk to her again. Deep down she was excited but now she had to face Monica.

 

“When have you ever seen me flirt with anybody? I was keeping him company while you put your face on.”

 

“Yeah right.” Monica challenged.

 

She walked into the kitchen and pulled her carton of Chunky Monkey out of the freezer. Daphne followed her.

 

She scooped up a spoonful of ice cream. "I can’t believe he wants you over me.” She said before shoving the spoon in her mouth.

 

“So that’s what this about. You and your superiority complex.” Daphne said pissed at her sister.

 

“I don’t have a complex.”

 

“Yes you do. You’ve never been able to stomach someone liking me more than you.”  Daphne said glaring at Monica.

 

“In high school when I told you I liked Jamal, you went and made out with him. You hate me so much you can’t even see why another person would like me so you make sure they like you more.” Daphne seethed.

 

Monica ate her ice cream silently. She knew she was arrogant and competitive but she never thought she was better than Daphne.

 

“Jeez Daffy, calm down.”

 

“Okay, okay I’ll admit my ego is a bit bruised because he wants you and not me but I don’t have a superiority complex.” She said putting her spoon down.

 

“And I don’t hate you either.”

 

“I have men. I don’t need him. Call him if you want.”

 

Daphne eyed her sister skeptically. “So, you wouldn’t be mad if I called him?”

 

“I think it‘s pretty tacky to ask a girl for sister’s number. I mean what an ass.” She said licking her spoon.

 

Daphne looked down at the number. It would be weird talking to him after whatever happened between him and Monica.

 

“You’re right that was pretty trifling.”  Daphne said balling up the paper.

 

“But, he seems like a male version of you. You might be good together.” She said.

 

“So what’s it gonna be Daffy? Are you gonna call him?”

 

 She looked at her sister confused. If she called him she knew her sister would be upset whether she admitted it or not, but she kinda liked him and felt some sparks between them. What am I going to do? Daphne questioned herself staring at her sister and then back at the paper.

 

The End....?






Chapter End Notes:

I just want to say little sisters rule big sisters drool ; )