Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

There is a war brewing and Gwen, unknowingly, is at the center of it.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

"Send word to Camelot of Ned Stark's death." Joffrey Baratheon commanded as he leisurely climbed the few steps to his throne. He turned and looked out into the throne room that housed Sensa and Tyrion; the hand of the king.

"Do you think it's a good idea to go taunting a king?  We are already surely at war with the Starks.  Pendrag-" Tyrion Lannister asked his nephew with a rolling of his eyes.

"I am king, you do as I say." Joffrey bellowed as Cersei entered the throne room.

"What's this?" she inquired.

"I want word sent to Camelot of Stark's demise.  Tyrion won't let me."  Geoffrey whined and Sensa cut her eyes at him.  She never thought it possible to go from loving someone with all of her heart to hating them just as hard in the span of moments, but here she was.

"You most certainly will not.  Joffrey, you are newly king.  Now is not the time to make enemies.  Sending word to Camelot would be nothing but a taunt and Uther Pendragon is not one to tease.  He wiped magic out of his kingdom with a fierce hand.  He also has close ties with the Stark's.  We need not give him more reason to join them in a war that is surely coming." Cersei advised her son.

"He won't do anything, we have an army-‘ Joffrey began .

"As does he and he's got some of the greatest knights of all the kingdoms.  Not to mention that son of his; his sword is like an extension of his hand.  You might have the Iron Throne, Joffrey, but Uther has the Iron fist."  Tyrion interrupted, already seeing that Joffrey had the makings of an inferior king.

"I am the King-"

"And I am Queen Regent." Cersei interrupted.  She never wanted to play power struggle with her son, but if it needed to be done, then so be it.  He would not win, not now. 

 Joffrey looked each of them in the eye, all turning away, save Cersei.  She stared him down just as he did her, unflinching.  Finally the boy king had to turn from his mother's glare.  "Send word to Pendragon, NOW!" he demanded no one in particular.

"You're a fool boy!" Tyrion spit.  "You kill Stark for telling the truth-" Tyrion caught himself a bit too late.  Cersei's glare cut into him and he knew he spoke too much.

"Mother?" Geoffrey voice was small, fitting of one his age. "Is this true?"

"Of course not." He voice was tight with irritation.

"How many bastards does my old father have running around?" Joffrey asked voice strong once again, but tears brimming.

Cersei stood quiet, contemplating how to answer her child. When she went to speak he cut her off.

"Please mother, my ears have had its fill of your lies.  Send word."

"You give the Stark's an upper hand with Uther helping?"

"If he is so close to them, than they will go to him regardless."

"Yes but he may not be so quick to join them.  If you taunt Jeoffry, he will."

"If they want a war, then they can have one.  I won't sleep until every Stark is dead." He turned to Sensa with a glimmer in his eye.  He smiled when a lone tear escaped.

 

 

~*~

Uther Pendragon began to talk of taxes and how he had no choice but to raise them.  It was all conversation that Gwen was used to, but hearing it whilst sitting at the table was foreign to her.  She began to eat her potatoes and pretended that she and her father were eating together.  She could almost smell him as she chewed on her venison.  Uther's voice began to sound like his and the conversation changed from taxes to one she and her father had just had.

Morgana calling her name broke her from her daydream and she nicked her hand.

"Oww." she quipped as the sharp knife slashed her hand.  Merlin looked up first to see her shake it a bit; a few little droplets of blood flew onto the table before she rested her hand on the table, causing more blood to pool.  It didn't hurt all that bad, seeing that she was used to cutting or scraping herself when she did her job at the palace.

It was Uther who jumped from his seat first, making the short trip to her side.  He grabbed her small hand in his and she quickly pulled away.  He grabbed it again and looked at the cut.  It wasn't very big, however it was deep.  He grabbed his napkin and wrapped it around her hand, while he guided her out of her chair.  All the while Arthur watched her curiously.

"Morgana, will you please help Guinevere to Gaius?" The King asked while looking over his shoulder at his other ward.

"Of course, come on Gwen." She said as she raced to her sister's side.

"You, clean this up." Uther directed at Merlin.  "Arthur, there are some things I need to talk to you about."   He said as he approached the same door the girls had exited moments earlier.  Once gone Merlin looked at all the half eaten plates and scoffed. 

After he ate the rest of Gwen's venison and potatoes, he began to clean.

Merlin. Kilgharrah's voice cut deep into Merlin's psyche over and over again.  Bring me the blood, Merlin.

~*~

Arthur sat in his father's quarters rereading the letter that had been received from his Godfather.

"So this means-"

"That Guinevere is the sole and rightful heir of the Iron Throne...on both sides no less; a Baratheon and Targaryen." Uther interrupted.  "The blacksmith wasn't her father after all."

"What do we do?" Arthur asked trying to process that not only was she now ward to Uther, but the heir to a throne more powerful than his.

"For the moment I am at a loss.  Ned wanted Thomas to come to him, without her, which leads me to believe that it may not be the best... climate, for her to go and claim what's hers.  No, for now we keep her safe and none the wiser of her station.  I also received these before dinner."  Uther handed his son two other letters. 

"Everything is happening so fast Arthur." He continued as Arthur read the letters.  One from Catelyn Stark telling Uther of their campaign to have Ned freed.  Another saying they would be in Camelot in a week's time if Uther would have him.  He had already sent word for them to come.

"Do you think it's for the best to keep her in the dark?" Arthur asked.

Uther thought for a hard moment.  "Yes, what good would it be to know this?  Just yesterday she was a maid... To think she's been cleaning after us for all these years, I haven't been the kindest to her.  Why put more on her plate than is needed?  She can't go there, not right now.  If she knows she is queen she may want to go to the people.  There is a war brewing in King's Landing.  Sooner than later it will be at our door."

Arthur thought of the Gwen he knew, she would definitely want to see where she was from, the conditions the people were living in.

"Father, I think you may be right." Arthur conceded, though he didn't like the idea of keeping this from Gwen.  "Is this why you made her your ward?"  He asked as he placed the letters in his breast pocket.

Uther turned to his son, the answer showing in his eyes.  Arthur saw and then looked past his father.  Guinevere's promotion in status had nothing to do with his father being wrong.  It was a strategic move and Arthur berated himself for thinking that his father could've had that much of a conscious.

"I don't hold the same sentiments that you and Morgana have for the help." Uther defended himself as though he could read Arthur's thought.

Standing from the chair he had been sitting in Arthur nodded at his father. "Goodnight father."  He turned to leave.

"Arthur..."  Uther called to his son, who stopped in his tracks. "...one day you will be here, in this spot and everyone will want something from you.  Your shell will harden as has mine; and you won't have the time, nor will to develop ties to those that will not benefit you.  Tying yourself to the help brings nothing to you." Arthur waited to see if his father would continue, when the pause went on long enough, he continued out of his father's chambers and to Gaius'.

~*~

Merlin bolted to Gaius' chamber as soon as he had finished in the dining room.  He had remembers that Uther had wrapped Gwen's hand with a napkin.  He could take that to the dragon since he had asked for the blood.  Gwen's could be the only blood he meant. 

Bring me the letters. Merlin heard.

"What letters?" Merlin asked out load just as Gaius reentered the quarters.

"Letters? What letters Merlin?" The old man asked suspiciously.

"Gaius! I was looking for you.  Where is the napkin that Gwen had around her hand?"  Merlin asked as Gaius' brow arched. "Because I want to try a launder it." Merlin swiftly added.

"She took it with her, said she'd try to get the stain out." They stared at each other for a long moment.

"Gaius... is there anything going on?"

"What do you mean?" Gaius inquired.  Merlin was always a bit, strange, but he was more so than usual. 

"I'm going to Arthur's chambers." Merlin announced as he left Gaius to ponder what the young warlock could be up to.

It took him a bit of time to make it to Arthur chambers to help the young man do whatever biddings he needed his servant to do.  When he finally reached the chambers he found that Arthur was not there.  Though he had been, since his jacket lay haphazardly on the bed.  Merlin went to hang it up when two letters fell from inside the jacket.

Bring me the letters. He remembered and wondered if these were the parchments that he was to bring to Kilgharrah.  He stuffed the jacket underneath Arthur's bed in a corner, where it wouldn't be easy to see.  He could then put the parchment back when he came to wake Arthur. Quickly he placed the parchments in his bag and prepared Arthur's clothes for the night. 

Seconds later the Prince came stomping into his room.  "Do you know where Guinevere is?  I went to Gaius' chambers but no one was there.  I knocked on her door.  No answer." 

"Maybe Gaius gave her a sleeping draught.  She wouldn't hear you if he had.  I mean she's had a long, very long day."  Merlin reasoned.

"Yea, but I wanted to see her before she retired, say goodnight, and see if she needed anything.  It hasn't even been a full day you know."  Both men got quiet thinking of all Gwen had endured in the short few hours since her father's death.

"I won't need too much of your help tonight Merlin.  We've all been through it today.  Go on to bed, I'll see you in the morning."

"Are you sure Arthur?" Merlin made sure.

"Leave before I make you polish my armour." He tried to hide the smile, and Merlin smiled brightly back at him.

"Ok, goodnight Arthur."  Merlin turned to leave.

"Wait, Merlin." Arthur called after him as he turned towards the door. He's going to ask about the jacket.  "Wake up a bit earlier tomorrow.  I don't want Gwen going off with my father and Morgana alone.  I don't think she's ready for that yet, I mean my father did have the blacksmith killed; he meant a lot to her.  I think we should accompany them."

"Yea, I agree.  Good night."  Merlin said as he closed the chamber doors behind him.

"Goodnight." Arthur said to the big chunk of wood.

Once he had rounded the corner Merlin headed to Gwen's chambers.  They were close to Arthur's a heavily guarded.  From his spot, peering around the corner Merlin watched the guards.  "Dormiunt" he said just above a whisper and his cerulean eyes flashed amber.  He waited a few moments before the guards collapsed on the floor and fell asleep.

~*~

Catalyn Stark had prevented the assassination of her son, Bran.  She had captured Tyrion Lannister and was so close to having his life taken for the attempt on her son; he had professed his innocence from the beginning of their time together and at time, she almost believed him.  She had been fighting for Eddard's freedom, along with Robb, for some time.  She was a wife, a mother, a strong woman, and now a widow as she walked through the throng of men who had taken up their cause, they bowed to her.  Flames danced across their faces and in the distance. Her face held no emotion; she was stoic, the picture of strength as her eyes stayed firmly planted on the bare trees before her.  She was almost there, a woman like Catelyn Stark cried in private.  She passed the first few trees before she collapsed against the fourth one.  Her breath ragged, she was unable to catch it.  What good was breathing without her beloved?  Then she heard it; the unmistakable sound of metal hitting wood, and it was ferocious, accompanied by the strangled grunts of frustration and grief.

She pushed herself off of the tree and steadied her feet before making her way up the hill.  She could see him, the glow of the fires that kept their camp warm surrounding him as he lashed a stronger tree with his sword.  His face was wet with the tears he had long abandon wiping away, his nose running and mouth dripping drool; his sole purpose at that moment was to kill something and the tree would have to do.

"Robb" she said his name gingerly, she would say later because he was fragile, but it was really because she couldn't quite find her voice.  "Robb...Robb!" his attention turned to her swiftly. "You've ruined your sword." 

It fell from his hand instantly and he came and collapsed in her arms.  How long it had been since he had done this.  He was a man, all muscle and ferocity, but now she held him like only a mother could.  He buried his face into the fur around her neck. "I'll kill them all!" Came his muffled declaration.  "Every one of them. I will kill them all." He cried.

"My boy..." she whispered softly into his ear, while stroking his hair.  This is what she had been made for, this strength that only women could hold; she had become the spirit of comfort and reason. "...they have your sisters.  We have to get the girls back... and then we will kill them all." She promised and she meant it.  They just had to stay the course; they had to get to Camelot.

~*~

Guinevere had spent the last hour in Gaius' chamber as her stitched the space between her thumb and index finger up.  The wound was throbbing now and she knew her hand would be mighty sore for the next few days.

Now she lay in bed with a fullest belly she'd ever had and a pitcher full of wine, she found that it dulled the ache in her hand.  It was while she was lounging in her bed, searching for sleep, that Thomas, her father, crept into her mind and a lone tear escaped.  She had cried herself to sleep, and no doubt would do the same this night.   She turned to lie on her side and there was a faint crashing of metals outside her door.  She stilled when her door open and someone slipped in.

 Since she was to be announced the ward of Uther Pendragon she had been under heavy guard.  Uther feared that someone would try to use her against Camelot and himself.  So how did someone get into her chambers so easily?  She laid stiff as a board and waited for them to grab her but it never happened.  Instead she heard rummaging through her vanity for a few minutes until, she assumed, they had found what they were looking for.  She then heard steps moving toward the door, slightly opening her eyes she saw Merlin moving through the darkness of her chamber.  

She waited until he left and then threw the covers off of her.  Quickly she made her way to her door to see that her guards had been knocked out and Merlin rounding the corner quickly.  She too began to run after him.  Every once in a while she watched, from a distance, as he would stop and watch the guard and every time they would soon fall asleep; which she was grateful for, because unbeknownst to him, he was helping her follow him.  Once they made it out of the castle, she relaxed a bit as she followed her friend, who was moving quickly towards the wood surrounding Camelot.  He had brought a torch, and once he reached the outskirts of the city she watched as it lit itself. He has magic. Gwen thought with a mix of fear and awe.

She followed him to a clearing and using the cover of the trees waited and watched as he stood int eh middle looking towards the sky.  Her best friend had been keeping all these secret from her, from all of them.  She realized she didn't know who Merlin was.  Just then the wind stirred and the branches dances.  Her hair swirled around her head like a song and through the strands she saw it.  The dragon that had terrorized Camelot only a few months before stood in from on Merlin.

"Where's a blood?" He asked almost begging.

"Here" Merlin produced the blood and the dragon brought its massive nose to the small cloth.

 

"Read me the letter." Gwen heard a voice bellowed.

"Why do you need the letters?  It's Arthur's business and you said that you had no need for Arthur or his business."

"That was before."

"Before what?"

"Before I smelt the blood." The Dragon snapped and Gwen poked her head from her hiding place, trying to hear what Merlin was saying a bit better.   Kilgharrah wings flapped, causing a mighty wind and Gwen gasped as debris blew into her eyes.  Merlin instantly turned, thrusting the torch towards the sound and saw Gwen with her hands over her mouth and a look of shame in her eye.

"Balerion" Kilgharrah breathed as Merlin went to speak to Gwen, his friend.

 






Chapter End Notes:

I Own Nothing







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.