Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is an apocalyptic story with adult and dark themes. The beginning will be very mild romance and mostly plot and character development. I hope you guys enjoy.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I'm so sick,

Infected with where I live

Let me live without this

Empty bliss,

Selfishness

 

A gasp echoed through the unoccupied warehouse, quickly being muffled by a wave of paranoia so strong that it was crippling. Frigid water ran down bruised bloody caramel skin, goose bumps rising to attention. Blood and flesh dripped into the bottom of the rusty tub in clumps. The "shower" merely being a beat-up tub and a broken pipe positioned over the top in the middle of a shut off room.

A body stood in the middle of this tub unresponsive and broken. The only movement being the shivering and silent sobs that suddenly shook her body. The pass week's events running through her mind as reality finally settled in, leaving a disgusting trial behind in its wake.

If you told Nava five weeks ago that the dead would rise she'd probably laugh in your face. If you told her that everything she loved would be torn away she'd be ready to fight. If you told Nava that she'd have to learn ways to survive not just the living but the dead...well...doesn't matter now does it?

Some things sound so farfetched that none of us would believe it. Especially, when book writers and Hollywood made jokes of such a notion as the dead living again. Nightmarish creatures that adults watch as entertainments and children feared. We were practically programmed to not take such silly nightmares seriously.

Reports started regarding people who've died from gunshot wounds all the way to natural causes reawakening. Some thought it was God's work-the resurrection. Those people had a rude awakening when those resurrected ones started ripping their faces off.

Nava was a victim of this Hollywood programming. When she first saw the news report she laughed her butt off with her best friend and roommate Lauran. They couldn't stop laughing. They had tears in their eyes. It was just another silly Youtuber trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. After other reports started popping up it wasn't so funny anymore. When those horrors start showing up at your doorstep and when your neighbor is suddenly one of them...well let's just say Lauran and Nava weren't laughing anymore.

The joke became a real nightmare; the tears of laughter soon became tears of horror. Everything slowly fell apart.

Nava's eyes squeezed shut at the memories; the screaming, the blood, so much blood. It happened so fast, for anyone to comprehend. Before the police could get things under control it was too late. They told people to stay in their homes and lock their doors, but the majorities were just like Nava and Laura, they laughed it off. They went to work, school, parties, and they left themselves unprotected. Yeah we served ourselves up on a silver platter Nava sighed.

It's easy for a virus to spread by a single bite-a single scratch to get around when people see it as nothing but a scratch or bite and not a death note.

One by one the people began to change-turned. Neighborhood by neighborhood began to fall-turned. City by city became overrun-turned. State by state became a feeding ground-turned. Soon there were more of them than the living. Some say the world was caught by surprise. Nava knew that they were just too stupid to realize they were already at war.

Another silent sob raked through the small body of Nava Richards. She fought for five weeks alongside her best friend Lauran. When they first left the safety of her job at Walmart in Austin Texas, there were 17 of them. She was working on the midnight shift stock when the nightmare finally hit her hometown. They had locked themselves in one of the storage rooms. When they realized that help wasn't coming; the survivors gathered together with a small amount of food and supplies and left their haven. It was 17 of them when they left. By the time they made it out there were only 12 of them. Before they made it to their next hideout there were only 10. The numbers kept dropping.

Another sob ripped from her throat.

Before long that large group of ten dropped to seven then five to three. You can see where this is going. One of those three put a bullet through her head when a three-year old child who she pitied bit her. Then there were two starving and exhausted. You see, after people discovered that it wasn't a joke they turned into savages. Trust became something laughable; helping one another lasted for the first two days before the saying every man for himself became a way of life. Who would take in two starving women who needed protection and who could likely become potential undead? You see their predicament. On the brick of death a little girl saved them no less.

Nava was going to kill her at first, but looking into those big green eyes so full of innocence and ignorance. Nava wasn't a murder. At the last minute the pickaxe fell to the ground and the little girl lead them to a group of people. A group of people whose leader's first action was to put a gun in their face and demand if they were bitten.

A broken chuckle left Nava in this moment. She debated on telling him yes, so that he could put a bullet in her skull and end it all. However, self-preservation won out and she told him no. Of course they didn't believe her and had the women check her and Laura over.

That is the short tale that leads Nava to be in a cold shower at the back of a warehouse. Her torn and disgusting uniform had been tossed aside. After a few more seconds the water shut off. The quiet was deafening. All that was left was Nava's rasping breath her eyes still shut. She regretted not telling those men that she was bit.

"Nava, hey girl you done?"

She heard her friend's whispered question in the darkness. For a few minutes she didn't say anything. The innocent question held a deeper meaning to Nava then just her shower time. Was she done? Could she go on? She wasn't a survivor. Nava Richards didn't know the first thing about surviving. All she did in her life before the takeover was how to go to work, shop, save, play video games, and eat. She didn't know how to kill, or find food, or read people. She wasn't born or trained for this world. The monsters out there both alive and dead were going to destroy her. So why go on? What was the point?

"Nay?"

Quickly grabbing a long piece of cloth that was given to her as a towel she left the shower still having no answer to her inner question. What was she living for? What was she surviving for?

Finally she saw Lauran, though blurred; in the darkness she could see her friends dark mocha skin and long brown hair. Plump pink lips moved as she spoke words that were unknown to her. Even before the takeover Lauran was a bombshell with curves in all the right places and an attitude to knock you outta your socks. Her subtle muscles showed with her black spaghetti strap shirt. Her hair was pulled into a knot at the back of her head her hazel eyes shining with a determination that Nava lost days ago. Even after starvation and days without sleep, shower or peace Lauran looked beautiful. Lauran was made for this world-she was born a survivor.

"Nava come on girl don't give up yet. We've found a group that seems to be doing well. Huh..." she said handing her a pair of sweat pants and a v-neck t-shirt. "One of the women gave me this. She said it belong to one of her daughters."

"I haven't given up," She lied horribly. "I'm just tired is all" she mumbled grabbing the clothes and slowly dressing from underneath her towel. The bruises ached in protest of the movement. Nava was proud that she only winced once.

"Yeah sure," she sarcastically drawled, "well wake up, get back into the game and come on. I found out that that little girls name is Casey. She said that they have a TV and the nightly news is almost on so hurry up."

After she finished dressing she was led deeper into the warehouse. Nava looked around to see that the warehouse wasn't that big; however, it was tall with several little blocked off passage-ways. She was led to a small side room where several people crowded around a small T.V screen. There had to be about three woman, one teenager, two children, and four men. One of the men that she found out name Conner was fixing the television antenna so the picture could come in clear. The little girl Casey and a small boy beckoned them over. Finding the little girl a lot more welcoming than the others Nava sat next to her. Others eyed her and Lauran suspiciously, which Lauran glared back. Nava merely stared forward. Finally the picture came in, yet it kept breaking up.

It should have been a typical news report with the over glamor news reporter giving an update on the progress of the situation. However, this broadcast was very different and discouraging to put it lightly. The picture was fuzzy, but it was obvious that the camera was out of focus. The cameraman was running and Nave could only assume that the pink pumps were that of Jenna Taylor.

"....overrun....to many...FALLBACK! FALLBACK...."

Soldiers were running all over the place. The muffled sounds of gunfire were heard in the near background. Nava stared at the screen as slow tears begin to build in her eyes. It was similar to watching hope burn right in front of your eyes. She felt warm arms wrap around her and by the way they squeezed her twice she knew it was Lauran.

Suddenly the cameraman tripped causing the camera to fell to the ground revealing the crap storm that they were in. Hundreds of undead chased after the soldiers; feeding and killing. Fires were burning in the background. Someone from the group screamed, but Nava ears were muffled.

Only a few more seconds were shown before...

Signal Lost

Nava threw her head in her hands rocking back and forth. It was too much. She couldn't handle it. She was breaking down, the only thing holding her together were the arms of her dearest friend.

"We're gonna die." Nava whispered for Lauran's ears only.

"I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to die yet...and neither are you. We'll get through this," Lauran whispered into Nava's ear rocking her in her arms gently. The small child Casey wanting to be included in the warm interaction scooted closer to the duo. The little boy trialed behind, but at a much slower pace.

"You really think so?" the 12 year old whispered gazing up at the two. The small boy, not far behind her, remained silent, his large brown doe eyes staring at the interaction. Nava buried her head into her friend's shoulder not wanting Casey to see the hollow hopelessness in her eyes. Nava could barely decide if she wanted to live the last thing she need was some kids depending on her. Luckily, for her she didn't have to since Lauran spoke up.

"Of course honey," Lauran said. "I'm sure your mommy thinks so too."

Casey frowned. "My mom is dead. The police officer man shot her in the head when she tried to eat him." The girl said so bluntly that Nava lifted her head. Casey had no tears in her eyes; they just stared at the floor blankly.

"Who are you here with?" Nava croaked.

"No one, sometimes Ms. Davis looks after me but..."she shrugged, "I'm alone."

"What about him?" Nava rasped gesturing to the small boy behind her. The boy in question looked to be no older than 5 or 6. He had sandy brown hair with large brown doe eyes and a cute button nose. Small dirt spots and the holes in his shirt showed that the world showed him no mercy despite his age.

The small girl glanced behind her for a second. "I found him hiding behind a trash can. He doesn't talk much...but he's alone too."

"Not anymore pipsqueak, you guys can stick with us." Lauran said strongly patting the little girl on the head. She reached for the small boy, but he moved away slightly his eyes steady and unmoving. Nava shot her a glare in which Lauran ignored. Nava didn't think they needed anyone else to protect. It was hard enough surviving in this world without having a bunch of strings holding you down.

However, Lauran thought the complete opposite; she knew that it was these bonds that one builds that truly kept someone from going completely insane. Loneliness can kill a person quicker than the undead.

"Really?" the little girl questioned disbelievingly. Her emerald green eyes glisten with unshed tears. Though she looked nothing like them with her pale white skin and blond hair, she was the embodiment of a porcelain doll.

"Duh can't you hear?" Lauran joked thumping the little girl in the head causing her to giggle. Nava glared at them with malice. She turned to the boy to see if he would share in such a touching moment, but he merely looked on. Nava's eyes met that of the boys, she cocked her head slightly at his stiff demeanor. He smiled slightly, something that would have made ones insides melt; however, Nava merely turned away. Weeks of callous killing and bloodshed making her bitter and untrusting of such sweet moments-they never lasted. But their attention was redirected when the leader of the group Connor and his second in command Tyler spoke up.

"Alright people, I know that wasn't positive, but were gonna keep doing what we've been doing, living." Connor's smooth rustic voice spoke lowly. "Since it seems like the government are a bit tied up we need to tighten up on the portions and the water."

The group bristled at this some murmuring their displeasure.

"We already eat little enough." The mother of the teenage daughter, Ms. Davis gasped.

"We only take showers twice a week! We're living like animals!" One man said too loudly causing Connor to give him a pointed look.

"Maybe if you'd stop bringing in strangers we wouldn't have to have such small portions" One of the women said cutting her eyes at Nava and Lauran.

Lauran stiffened at this a low growl building in her throat at the audacity of these people.

"Look!" He snapped his face showing his irritation. "Showers will be only once every two weeks. I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there's no one working at the water plant. You know what that means? That means eventually that water is gonna run out. Two, last time I checked each and every one of you was strangers to me and I let you in. Where do you think you would be if I didn't?" Connor let that sink into the minds of the group for a second. "Food," he said sharply, "will be given once a day in small portions-unless of course anyone is volunteering to make daily runs to find food..." no one raised their hands as was expected.

"Right then," he went on "of course if anyone has a problem with this I would like to let you know that no one is being held hostage and you reserve the right to leave." He snapped before leaving.

The group remained quiet all of them almost simultaneously staring at the warehouse door. The snarls and growls a distant melody that they all tried to ignore. Not being able to accept the harsh realities any longer Nava stood up and left the room.

Walking through the semi-dark hallway, Nava finally made it to her room, which was merely a small sleeping bag in the corner of a closed off area. Before she could reach the area she walked past a broken mirror. Some of the glass was missing Nava saw her reflection clearly. Her light caramel skin glistened with the Texas heat. Her small button nose was scrunched up in distaste, while her bottom lip was now curled in a downward scowl. She scoffed at the slightly odd shape of her ears; almost resembling round elf ears. Though some men believed it to be cute Nava only saw then as a nuisance. Her tall 5'9 stature was slim though she held light curves. Nonetheless, all Nava saw was a living dead girl. She felt deader than those things outside. Her cheeks were slightly hollowed due to not eating and stress. Her once beautiful hazel green eyes looked meaningless.

Again, Nava questioned her purpose of enduring. Was it for the possibility of a rescue? But how could someone go back to a normal life after witnessing all she's seen in the last couple of weeks? How could she go back to a normal life? She's been scared by the events taking place seeing how savage men could get. Once civilized people could turn into ravaging animals and the sad part was that she wasn't talking about the undead.

"I know that look," a masculine voice murmured from behind causing Nava to jump and swirl around to face Connor. He stood so close to her that she wondered how she didn't notice him before.

"What look?" Nava muttered.

"The look I've seen since I first saw you crawl in her half dead," he responded his eyes searching her face for something unknown. "I used to see that look on men's faces that were on death row, it's a look one gets when they lose all hope for the future."

"I don't think we have a future," she blatantly told him.

He shook his head with a roguish smirk appearing on his face. "Our future is never gone-we always have a choice."

Nava's face scrunched up. "What future does one have when their neck is being torn out? Huh you tell me this. What future do we have when the government can't even help us!" she snarled viciously her eyes wild and dejected.

He stepped closer to her causing her to back up against the wall. His arm shot out beside her head his face leaning in closer to hers. She felt as if all breath left her. She couldn't breathe with this man so close to her. His aura was just so overpowering and overbearing.

"I always have a choice doll face. You do too- you just chose not to explore them. Those people, before they were killed had a choice. I said that everyone has a choice I never said that it would be the right one. But you have one. The world just ended..." he said chuckling to himself slightly causing her to frown. "Don't give in yet we got a long way to go. It's just another game that we play."

"I'll be dead before then."

Nava felt a large warm fingertip lift her chin up causing her to stare into two black coals filled with such a controlled madness that she couldn't help but stare. "I won't let that happen..." She shivered feeling slightly uncomfortable in his presence.

"I don't believe in knights in shining armor," she spat out bitterly.

His fingers tightened on her chin causing her eyes to again meet the black coals. "Did I say that I was a knight? Don't be so quick to judge often times our first opinion is wrong." His eyes trailed over her before he abruptly turned and left her.

Nava's eyes watched him, but immediately shot towards the screams that rang from outside the door. A scream that soon turned into gurgling followed behind sounds of snarling and crunching. Then after a while the silence set in. 

"Some choice."






Chapter End Notes:

Pictures of characters will be posted next chapter.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.