Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The tangled web we weave.  Be careful not to entangle yourself.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

  

 

Not Without A Fight

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

Like this is all I don’t need.  I find out that John knew that the John Doe in prison was really Christian Vega.  I went to the prison to confirm it with Christian and then I stormed into John’s apartment and blasted him about it.  He told me that it had nothing to do with me and it was Christian’s choice.  What a fool I have been.  But after all of that righteous indignation I don’t expose John to Natalie for his lies.  She needs to find out on her own. 

 

I do go home for Thanksgiving and I am showing.  My mother wants to strangle me but she restrains herself.  She asks me if the baby is John’s and I tell her that the child’s father has waived his parental rights so in essence the baby is just mine.  I enjoy my holiday with my family and they accept that I will raise this child alone but they assure me that they will assist me however I want them to.  I thank them for that.

 

I remember so well the day before I went home for Thanksgiving break and John saw me in the courthouse.  By then I had stopped trying to hide my pregnancy.  John saw me and stopped in his tracks. He came up to me and asked if the baby was his.  I told him that the identity of the father of my child is none of his business.  I did tell him that the father has waived his parental rights so really the child doesn’t have a father.  But I will be both father and mother to my child.  I turned and walked away from him and didn’t give him a chance to respond. I made certain that I didn’t see him after that.  I stopped picking up files at the police station and instead sent my receptionist and if he was the arresting officer on a case I had my assistant to pass the case on to someone else.  I didn’t need the money that desperately to have to put up with dealing with him.

 

It’s now December and I am going into my sixth month.  The doctor tells me that the baby and I are progressing well.  I am thankful for that.  After not revealing John Doe’s true identity I felt bad about leaving Christian in that dangerous situation so I did work on his case and won his release. The prison riot also helped in that and the signed confession by Carlo Hesser went a long way in convincing the judge to release Christian.  With that done I can now enjoy my holiday.  I decide to stay home for Christmas, just my baby and me.  I don’t want any visitors.

 

So I’m sitting in my living room listening to Christmas music when I hear a knock at the door.

 

“Who is it?”

 

“It’s John Evangeline.  May I come in?”

 

“No John. Go home.”

 

“Please Evangeline I just want to talk with you for a minute.”

 

I open the door and stand there in the doorway.

 

“You have a minute John.  The clock is ticking.”

 

“You aren’t going to invite me in?”

 

“You have thirty seconds John.”

 

“I’m sorry Evangeline.”

 

“Time’s up John.  Goodbye.  Now I would suggest that you leave otherwise I will have to resort to a restraining order.  I don’t have anything to say to you.  I don’t want to see you.  And the gall of you coming here now that Natalie has kicked your butt to the curb and think that you can weasel yourself back into my life. You have some nerve. Goodbye John and don’t bother me again or I will see you in court.”

 

I close the door, lock it and return to my music.  He did not return and I was very thankful that he did not.

 

---------------------------------   

 

I don’t know how to reach Evangeline.  Every time that I try to talk to her she cuts me off or avoids me.  I haven’t seen her at the police station in months.  Her receptionist picks up the police reports for her and she hasn’t worked on any cases where I am the arresting officer.  Why won’t she talk to me?  I know that we’re not together anymore but can’t we at least be friends? I miss her.  Natalie doesn’t want anything to do with me because I didn’t tell her about Christian.  He asked me not to so why couldn’t she understand that?  What difference does it make?  I really don’t want Natalie anyway.  If Evangeline will take me back I will be happy. Natalie doesn’t make me happy. I was stupid to think that she would anyway.  Natalie and I came together because of a lie.  She thought that her husband was dead and I didn’t correct her in that assumption.  Now both of us are miserable.  She belongs with Christian and I belong with Evangeline and now both of us are alone.

 

Evangeline is pregnant and she says that I am not the father but she’s several months pregnant.  We were together several months ago and I didn’t know that she was involved with anyone else after we broke up.  I wish that her baby were mine and then she and I will have a connection forever. Wait, wait a minute. Evangeline wouldn’t get involved with someone so soon after our breakup would she?  Maybe she did.  She and I started our relationship shortly after her breakup with RJ Gannon. But why did she get pregnant from this guy?  We always took precautions when we were together so how could she get pregnant with someone so quickly.  Well as she said it is none of my business so I will leave it alone.

 

-------------------------------------   

 

Working on Todd’s murder case has not helped my situation. I am tired and stressed but I can’t leave Todd to fight this charge alone.  I do everything that I can to help him but I still lose the case and Todd is found guilty and is sentenced to death.  I must stay calm and remember that my stress impacts my baby. The doctor’s not concerned but she warns that the stress can elevate my blood pressure and that may put the baby in danger.  

 

Todd gives up hope and I continue to try to convince him to appeal the verdict but he wants to just give up.  But fortune intervenes and he escapes custody and I hide him but I am arrested for aiding a fugitive.  By that time John now realizes that Todd might be innocent. But I am now nine months pregnant and anything that I can do for Todd has to wait.  My baby comes first.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Evangeline decides her priorities.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.