Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The Arrival and the Debate




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Not Without A Fight

 

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

I decide to work until I go into labor so here I am in my office trying to file an appeal for Todd.  He is back in prison awaiting execution.  I’ve had backaches for a few days now and can’t seem to get any relief.  I go to the bathroom to relieve myself and something doesn’t feel right.  I return to my office and decide to call my doctor.  I explain my symptoms and she advices me to go to the hospital and she will meet me there.  I notify my receptionist and I leave for the hospital.

 

Upon my arrival at the hospital they steer me to the labor triage room and the doctor comes in to examine me.  I recline on the bed and put my legs in the stirrups and she examines me and tells me that I am 5 centimeters dilated.  She informs me that I will be admitted to the hospital so they put in an IV line and attach a fetal monitor.  They move me to a labor and delivery room.  I am excited that my baby will soon arrive but I’m a little sad that I am here alone.  I didn’t have time to call Nora but maybe I can call her once I’m settled in the labor and delivery room.  

 

The contractions begin to get stronger and the labor progresses well.  The doctor tells me that I have at least another hour or two before I’m fully dilated.  I take that time to call Nora.  Of course she fusses at me but tells me that she’s on her way.  She arrives with thirty minutes and I am so glad to see her.  She coaches me through the labor and soon I’m fully dilated and ready to deliver my baby.

 

I have a gorgeous baby boy who has a head full of black wavy hair and crystal blue eyes.  Oh how I had hoped that my baby would have brown eyes like mine or any color other than blue.  Nora looked at the baby and then looked at me and said,

 

“John is the father isn’t he Evangeline?”

 

“The father has waived his parental rights.  That’s all that I have to say on the matter.  Nora please don’t ask me again.”

 

Nora shook her head and sighed but she didn’t ask me again. I was relieved and happy that my baby is now here.  We have a wonderful life ahead of us.

 

-------------------------------------   

 

Michael McBain is on the labor and delivery room following up on a patient.  He sees the board and notices a patient named E. Williamson.  He knew that Evangeline was pregnant so he stopped by the nursery to see the baby.  He knew that Evangeline would not want to see him but he didn’t see any harm in him stopping by to see her baby.  He knew the nurse in the nursery and asked if she would bring the Williamson baby to the front window.  The nurse picked up the baby and brought him to the window.  Michael smiled at the baby who had his eyes closed and just as Michael began to thank the nurse for bringing the baby to the window the baby opens his eyes and Michael looks into eyes just like his brother, crystal blue and piercing eyes.  Michael gasped.  This is John’s baby.  How can Evangeline keep John from his baby?  She wouldn’t be that cruel.  Should I talk to her before I talk to John? What should I do?  Just as Michael was debating what to do Nora walked up to the nursery room.  Michael knew then that Nora was there with Evangeline.  

 

“Hello Nora are you here to see John’s baby?”

 

“What do you mean Michael?  I’m here to see Evangeline’s baby.  Why would you say that the baby is John’s?”

 

“Did you see the baby’s eyes Nora?  They are blue just like John’s so you can’t convince me that the baby is not John’s baby.”

 

“Michael I am sure that John is not the only man with blue eyes.”

 

“But he is the only man with blue eyes with whom Evangeline has been involved.”

 

“Michael don’t go making trouble.  Let these two work this out for themselves.”

 

“But Nora she told John that the baby wasn’t his.  Why would she do that if the baby were his?  That is just cruel!”

 

“Michael you don’t know the whole story.  Just leave it alone.”

 

“I can’t Nora. John needs to know.  It’s only fair to him and to the baby.”

 

“Will you talk with Evangeline first and at least let her know that you plan to talk with John so that she’s not blindsided when John shows up?”

 

“Yes I will talk with her.  I will go now and talk with her before they take the baby to her room.”

 

“If I can’t convince you otherwise then I appreciate that you warn her.”

 

“All right Nora I will see you later.”

 

“Goodbye Michael.”

 

Michael walks to Evangeline’s room and knocks on the door.

 

“Come in.”

 

“Hello Evangeline.  Congratulations on your baby.”

 

“Hi Michael, what are you doing here?”

 

“I just stopped by the nursery to see your baby and imagine my surprise when I looked into the eyes of my nephew.”

 

“Michael what are you talking about your nephew?  My baby is not your nephew.”

 

“Evangeline the baby has blue eyes but not just blue eyes but eyes just like my brother’s. Do you deny that the baby is John’s?”

 

“Michael the baby’s father waived his parental rights so my baby is my baby and no one else’s. If you don’t mind I am tired. I just delivered a baby and am waiting for them to bring my baby to me so if you will leave now I would appreciate it.”

 

“Evangeline I will tell John that I believe that the baby is his.  You can expect him to fight for his child.’

 

“Michael you do what the you think you have to do.  I don’t have anything else to say.  Goodbye.”

 

“Goodbye Evangeline.”

 

I sit up in the bed and sigh.  I knew that this would happen.  I knew that if the baby had blue eyes that everyone would assume that John is the father.  I don’t care what anyone thinks.  This is my son and my son alone.  Finally my baby is with me.  I hold him to me and nurse him.  He latches on without any difficulty.  He smells so good and feels so good to me.  I just want to get him home and have him all to myself.






Chapter End Notes:

Michael interferes and the drama begins.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.