Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What will happen now that the test results have returned?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Not Without A Fight

 

Chapter 6 The Results Are In    

 

 

The lab technician calls Michael before he leaves for the day and gives him the results of the paternity test.  There is a 99.9% that the adult is the father of the child. Michael cannot believe what he is hearing.  Why would Evangeline lie to John that he is not the father of her child?  I have to tell John right now.  I will call him.

 

“John I need for you to come to the hospital now I have something to show to you.”

 

“Michael I am busy right now can it wait?”

 

“No John it can’t wait.  I think that it would be to your advantage to come now.”

 

“All right Michael I’m on my way.  Where do you want me to meet you?”

 

“In the waiting area on the maternity ward.”

 

“Michael if this is about Evangeline I told you that I don’t want you to bother her.”

 

“John just meet me in the waiting area. I will explain everything to you then.”

 

“All right Michael I will see you in a few minutes.”

 

John rushes to the hospital to meet with his brother.  Nora was just leaving after visiting again with Evangeline.  Nora has applied for and has received the restraining orders that Evangeline requested and she delivered copies to Evangeline.  She sees John in the waiting room.  She nervously asks,

 

“John, hello. Why are you here? You’re not here to visit Evangeline are you?”

 

“No Nora don’t worry I’m not here to bother Evangeline.  She’s made it very clear to me that she wants nothing to do with me so I am abiding by her wishes.  I’m waiting for my brother Michael.  He called me and asked me to meet him here.”

 

Just as John finishes talking Michael walks into the waiting area.  He looks at John and then at Nora.  He then asks Nora,

 

“Did you know all along that John is the father of Evangeline’s baby Nora?”

 

“Michael what are you talking about?  I told you not to bother Evangeline.  What have you done?”

 

“I protected your interests John.  I had a paternity test done and you are the father of Evangeline’s child. I have the results here. That is why I called you.”

 

Michael gives the test results to John and John reads them. He sees the 99.9% and sits down in the chair behind him.  Michael sits next to him and pats him on the shoulder.

 

“You are the father John.  You have rights to your child.”

 

Nora stands there and watches the two brothers come to grips with the magnitude of the test results and she knows what she has to do. She pulls the restraining orders from her briefcase and says to both John and Michael,

 

“These are restraining orders.  Neither of you are to be within 50 feet of Evangeline or her son nor are you to have any contact with Evangeline or her son.  Michael if you used blood from Evangeline’s son to have that paternity test done without her expressed permission then those results are inadmissible in court.  John you signed a waiver of parental rights months ago and it is recorded in the court.  I would advise that you to do nothing to violate the restraining orders or you will find yourselves in a jail cell.  I am sorry that this has happened but it is the law.”

 

Both brothers sit there stunned.  They can’t contact or be around Evangeline or her son.  What will they do?

 

“John I think that you need to retain an attorney.  This isn’t right.  That is your son you have a right to know your son.”

 

“Michael please stop talking I can’t think.  I need to think.  Nora I ‘m sorry that you are caught in the middle of all of this.  I don’t know anything about signing over my parental rights but I will abide by the restraining order.  Michael is right in that I need to retain an attorney.  Nora do you know any good lawyers?  No Nora I‘m only kidding.  I wouldn’t ask you to get any more involved than you already have.  Right now I have to laugh to keep from crying.”

 

Nora turns and walks out of the waiting area.  She felt bad about the restraining orders but she promised Evangeline that she would handle that for her and she did.  Nora thinks, ‘Oh Evangeline what will you do now?’  Nora calls Evangeline and told her of her encounter with John and Michael.

 

“Nora I am not surprised about any of this but I will handle it.  I don’t want to involve you any more than I already have so I will handle things from this point on.  Thank you for everything.  It will work out for the best.”

 

I end my call with Nora and then I contact my doctor who is still in the hospital concluding her rounds.

 

“Dr. Stevenson please ask the head nurse for the nursery to come and meet with us. The child’s father has made gestures towards the child and I do not want him anywhere near my son.  He has been served with a restraining order but I don’t think that it will deter him.  Also I have received information that a doctor in this hospital without my permission used my son’s blood to have a paternity test performed.  I will handle the legal issues involved but I ask for your assistance in assuring the safety of my son.”

 

“Ms. Williamson I will help you however I can. I will notify the hospital administration of the breach of protocol by the doctor who performed the illegal paternity test. Ah here is the head nurse. I will speak with her and have the baby moved to your room and if you will give me the names of those persons not allowed contact with you then I will alert staff.”

 

“Thank you Dr. Stevenson.  The doctor’s name is Michael McBain and the child’s father’s name is John McBain of the Llanview Police Department.”

 

“I will handle it Ms. Williamson.  You will discharge on tomorrow so you only have to endure us for another day.”

 

“It hasn’t been that bad and anyway I leave here with the best thing in my life, my son.”






Chapter End Notes:

Evangeline plays hardball with both John and Michael.  How will they react?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.