Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Saved myself from an almost boo boo




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

   Niamh buckled herself into the back of the large black suburban as Joseph drove in the front seat. Blaise sat turned halfway around watching her with a smile that told how sublime he thought she was.Surprisingly, she wasn't one to hold eye contact for prolonged periods of time and began squirming under his watch. A smile crawled its way on the his lips as he watched her make use of the lock on the door, locking and unlocking it.

 

      "I hope I didn't need to put the child safety on for you back there..." Joseph spoke looking at her through the rearview mirror. Niamh realized her mindless action and placed both hands under her bottom, so that they would be out of the way. Taking a deep sigh she leaned her head over to rest on her shoulder.

 

      " You could have looked away five minutes ago. I look the same then as I do now Blaise."

 

      "That's where you're wrong. The longer I look at you, then the more things I see."

 

       "I see you two are still chummy."

 

      "What do you mean by still?" Niamh asked Joseph who had commented.

 

     He looked between Blaise and Niamh amused that they both seemed to not recall seeing each other every once in a while whenever he decided to bring Blaise along to the Saslow's. It wasn't often, seeing as how Carol wanted to shelter him from that lifestyle as a boy.

 

     "No come on, don't tell me neither of you remember how Lorraine and I would find you cooped up somewhere kissing."

 

     "What?" They both asked astonished.

 

      "Well Blaise, you had so many little girlfriends when you were that age that I'm not shocked you don't remember, but Niamh not you..."

 

     Niamh leaned forward in her seat gripping the shoulders of the driver's seat as she got closer to the others.

 

       "I have a very bad memory. At least from my childhood, my mom has always poked fun at me for it."

 

    " Play it out for me. How did I charm my way into her heart dad." Blaise sat back in his seat nodding to his father as he waited to hear what he thought would be glorious things of his "game."

 

      "She hated you." Niamh bursted into a short laugh as Blaise turned quickly on her cutting her a snarky look.

 

      Joseph smiled as he thought back to how many times he had to pull a stubborn Blaise from an even more stubborn Niamh's hold as she practiced wrestling moves she saw on tv to fight Blaise. " Everytime we turned around, she was smacking you upside the head, pushing you, all kinds of bully stuff."

 

      "I've never had a mean bone in my body Joey!" Niamh defended herself.

 

     "I clearly remember being a roughhouse; there's no way I would have let a little girl punk me like you're describing."

 

     "Oh no, I'd never discredit you for being a hell raiser, it's just that with Niamh you never fought back, you would just let whatever happen. You even made me sit down one night and write out every detail of your fairytale wedding you wanted to have with her. I had to draw up your first house and everything-dog house included."

 

     "Joey I think you've confused me with another person. I've heard I tend to remind people of others." Niamh shook her head, not being able to accept fully what he was saying with seriousness.

 

      "I kid you not.  You only attacked him behind your brother...." Joseph's voice trailed off as the son he never truly got to embrace came to mind. His chest tightened at the guilt and tormenting emotions rolling through him at the mention of Niall. He was never able to outwardly care for the young boy because it would have been viewed as a violation toward The Family.

 

    His birthdays were spent looming around in the background as Lorraine and their son sat off in their room having their own private celebrations.

 

     "Happy birthday to ya!" Lorraine sung softly to Niall who was now two years old. She clapped her young daughter's hands together as both children exclaimed in louder voices. The other workers had left to return to their own homes and let loose for the day. Lorraine was the only employee who worked and lived with the Saslows. A major reason for that bounced in her lap in a pink nightdress.

 

     Joseph eyed the little girl, the solid proof of betrayal between friends. She had a curly mop of black hair which sat on her head, falling into her deep brown eyes. When he looked at the baby, he couldn't help but to imagine her with features closer to Niall-light hair, the small rounded ears that the Kincaids possessed-features that showed the world that he was her father.

 

     The universe didn't work in his favor.

 

     "Happy me! Happy me!" Niall squealed as he mushed his hands into the small individual cake Lorraine had purchased for him.Joseph smiled just robustly as the toddler.It angered him to know that he couldn't have Lorraine in her own house-a house they shared-where she didn't have to celebrate the gift of Niall so subtly. He wanted the banners and balloons that a two year old should have. With cartoon characters walking around the home greeting him and his small friends.

 

      The kind of party he had planned for his youngest son--  Blaise-- in just a week.

       In no way did he regret his son with Carol, nor did he feel the same about his wife. He came to accept their positions in life, and he saw that she was different from the others. He wanted to let her live and love the man she truly did just as much as he wanted to be able to love Lorraine. They shared a mutual understanding of the kind of "love" they had for each other. It wasn't necessarily the kind soulmates would have, but it was enough to get them both through. When Blaise had been born, they deepened their strange love through their son.

      Joseph had been paired with Carol for marriage just three weeks before Lorraine had revealed she was carrying his child. He had gone to Daniel in distress, asking for any help he could give to revoke his marriage. He hadn't planned to just drop Carol without a warning, she was the one who encouraged him to ask for an annulment. She thought that the only thing for him to do was to go on and take care of the woman he truly loved, it seemed like the best thing to her.

 

      Daniel denied him without contemplation.

 

      His fist tightened around the doorknob at the cogitation of acknowledging only one of his children purposely. He knew he had some things ahead waiting for him from God for the decisions and responsibilities he has bypassed. He wanted to provide all that he had for the ones he loved, but knew by the outlines on his marriage to Carol, that sharing the wealth with those not a part of The Family would only be troublesome for them all.

 

      "Niall, now you're messy!" Lorraine playful scolded. Niall ran toward her, wiping the cake and frosting on both his mother and sister. Laughter erupted in the room as they ran from him, hiding from the boy. The little girl tripped over her chubby legs falling to the ground. Joseph took one step forward wanting to help her, make sure she didn't cry. Her bottom lip curled downwards trembling, but Niall hopped on her. In his baby mind, he prevented her from wailing out and crying alligator tears.

 

    Her laughter returned as she sat up and tussled with her brother. He had been so caught up in watching them that he hadn't seen Lorraine come to the door and stand in front of him.

 

    "I...I didn't mean to ...I was coming to say..."

 

    Lorraine nodded her head knowing the words he meant to say, but couldn't. She closed the door with a heavy heart ending his peeping.

 

        

    Niamh snapped her fingers, remembering seeing Niall's picture in his office." I was meaning to ask you how you got a picture of Niall. I saw it hanging on your office and just thought it was my imagination."

 

     "Oh yeah?"

 

      " Who would've thought that my invisible string would be connected to you..." Niamh said.

 

     "What do you mean?"

 

      " She adores you Dad." Blaises answered."Hardcore adores you."

 

     "My work?" Joseph asked.

 

     Niamh blushed in the backseat." You already know that Joey." He broke out into a smile hearing that she never let go of him."I can't believe I don't remember you. I wish I had." She looked out the window to see they had arrived to her apartment building without her even giving directions.

 

      "I hope you know this just because of my file."

 

      " We can go with that." They parked in the garage, and exited the car. It struck her that this was the first time Blaise had seen where she lived.

 

    "Thanks for the ride. I'll see you later?" She questioned hoping that they would take the hint that they would part ways here. Niamh didn't think her mother's heart could handle seeing them both, knowing how she felt towards them. She wanted to keep Blaise separate from her family, so that she could enjoy him without their butting in.

 

  " It's no problem." Joseph walked to the door and motioned to Niamh. "Now are you going to come let us in? I would feel rude not to say hello to your mother and brother."

 

       " You live with your family?" Blaise asked storing away the new information. He didn't ask it to judge her, just out of curiosity of where she stayed at.

 

      She nodded her yes as she walked to the door." You know, they may not even be here right now." Niamh was trying to figure out a way to post pone this meeting, hoping that one of them would get a call needing them right away.

 

     "Lorraine's car is here." Joseph tilted his head knowingly."I'm sure it won't hurt just to-"

 

     "They aren't exactly fond of you." She blurted out before she could stop herself. She toyed with her keys biting her lip." Neither one of them. I'm not sure how pleasant this will be if you come up."

 

     Joseph took a step back, nodding in understanding. He hadn't expected nothing less. Maybe if he could get in touch with Lorraine, speak to her even if it were only a few words, that he could find a way back to her. The hatred she had for him was beyond his imagination, but he was willing to face Hurricane Lorriane if he had to.

 

      "Let's go." He insisted.

 

      Blaise saw the discomfort taking over Niamh." Dad, if now isn't a good time then maybe we should just go from here."

 

     "No.There's no point in trying to avoid the inevitable."

 

      Niamh sighed, shaking her head at the insistence of Joseph." Okay, but don't blame me if you two leave in garbage bags." With that said, she unlocked the door and led them into the building. They walked down a long hall, turning the corner to climb the back stairs. On the second flight stood a man, casually waiting in the way.

 

     "Excuse me." Niamh said thinking that he would politely move out of the way. He simply stared at her, as ig she said nothing.

 

     "Excuse me sir." She said firmer. He was a large man with a short blonde hairstyle. His clothes were normal, like everyone else's  as he stood there with his arms crossed leaning on the wall. She couldn't place his face as any of her neighbors. Looking back she saw Joseph's eyes squinted and Blaise's wide and open.

 

      " What are you doing here?" Blaise asked with authority as he recognized the Saslow worker. The challenge he seemed to be setting up perplexed him. Especially given the fact that he was so close to where Niamh lived.

 

     "Good morning Mr. Kincaid. Blaise." The man's deep drawl sent an uneasy shiver up Niamh's spine. She wondered how they knew the stranger.

 

     "Move." Joseph's stern voice left no room for disobeying him as he pushed Niamh aside, taking the lead in front of the other man. He nodded his head and took a step to the side allowing them a way up the stairs. Blaise put his hands on Niamh's waist, staring off with the out of place worker. When they reached the top of the stairs, they all turned back to see him watching Niamh intently.

 

     With a smile he took his leave down the stairs. Father and son eyed each other with concern for the woman in between them.

 

     "Who was that?" She asked wanting to know what was not being said between them.

 

      "You say your mom and Niall are here right?" Joseph said slowly, his tone sparking worry in Niamh.

 

      "Yes, of course. Why do you say it like that?" Her heart picked up speed as her knees locked.

 

     "Just to make sure I get to see them. Nothing more." He asuured her.

 

      "Come on you guys, let's get into the apartment." Blaise suggested as he pushed on behind them. He didn't feel okay with what had just happened, and was boiling to go straight to Daniel and ask what the meaning of his employee meant. They had no business to be on this side of town, but now it had changed.

 

      When they finally reached her front door, Niamh took her time opening it. She stuck her head inside to see how it looked. Niall wasn't on the couch watching a game as she had hoped.

 

       "Niall? Mama?" If luck was on her side, neither one would answer.

 

     "Right here. What are you doing Nia?" Lorraine opened the door farther from her daughter only to see two men that made her stomach cringe.

 

      "What is this?" She said bluntly. Pulling Niamh in by her arm, she blocked the entrance to the home from who she saw as intruders. She looked Joseph in the eye, feeling something rise from deep within.

 

     "Lorraine." He spoke softly. He didn't think he'd be affected so much by her body language; it screamed defense.

 

    " Hello Miss Deges, I'm Blaise Kincaid. I know we weren't properly introduced last time." He reached his hand out to her, but his politeness didn't affect her. He had no ill intentions, but Lorraine couldn't see through her muggy haze.

 

     " It's not necessary to do it now either, boy. Why is my daughter with you outside of work? Is this proper boss-worker etiquette?"

 

     " Mom, they just wanted to come say hello." Against her wishes that is. She hoped that questions about seeing her family wouldn't show up with her and Blaise now. She was content with not mixing the two, but it seemed like Blaise was more than okay with meeting her mom. She had seen guys who met parents for the first time, and had some common sense to see that he felt a new surge of responsibility  for meeting her. His smile seemed genuine, like he wanted her mom to have no reason to not like him. Aside from the fact that she wasn't looking for that kind of relationship with him, she felt bad for him knowing his actions would go overlooked because of a prejudice against him that he inherited from his father.

 

     "We happened to be at the same place getting breakfast. Since it's no bother, we brought her home Lorraine." Lorraine wasn't as trusting as Joseph had hoped. She felt trapped behind closed doors as a new face emerged around their home. He lingered awfully long on their floor and not once did he go or try to enter into an apartment. He had only shown up for twenty or thirty minutes, but it felt like hours as she stood watch at the peephole watching his every move.

 

      " I don't know what kind of sick shit you're trying to pull here, but that man didn't show up around here before you by  pure coincidence." She wished that he would just say it. Say that he was back on the mission to get rid of them. Nothing was scarier than the unknown. Their moves couldn't be predicted, and that gave them an advantage over Lorraine.

 

     "There was a man here? Did he come in Lorraine?" Joseph began scanning the house, checking to see if anything looked out of place even though he had never been there before.

 

     " His little asking for directions act was so blatantly obvious.Have I not warned you enough Niamh? Now their men are trying to make their way in! They have no respect for distance anymore!" Lorraine grabbed Niamh by her shoulders and shook her lightly. Her voice pleaded with her daughter to finally accept what she has been preaching all of these weeks.

 

      " Why do they have a reason to worry?" Blaise turned to his father and spoke what he thought was in a private tone.

 

   Before Joseph could answer, Lorraine spoke up." Your father! He's our reason to worry. You're probably no good either. There is some fucking plan going on with you Joseph, don't sic your son on my daughter. Have you no shame?"

 

     " Lorraine, it's long done. Let it go." Joseph stepped to her with just as much passion as she did to him.

 

      " How? I've driven myself insane behind you Joe! I nearly killed my heart because of all of the pent up anxiety of having to back track everywhere I went, I never knew if you were done with us or not." Tears swelled in her eyes as she bit the inside of her cheeks drawing blood.

 

       " Did you ever stop to ask me anything? You're so damn set in your ways Lorraine! You weren't hearing shit back then and not today either!"

 

      "Mr. Kincaid lower your voice please." Niamh stepped in feeling the need to defend her mother from the yelling match

 

    Joseph caught sight of the look in Niamh's eyes and turned away to collect himself. He placed his hands on his hips and took three deep breaths.

 

      " What would have been the point Joe?Things should have never went the way they did; you didn't do anything to prevent  it either."

 

    Joseph crossed his hands in front of his face fighting against the lump threatening to choke him in his throat. " I couldn't."

 

      "You wouldn't."

 

      "I would've. The time had been so wrong.You and Niall... I couldn't make a move fast enough." He spoke forgetting that there were others in the room. Lorraine and Joseph were zoned in on each other, each ready to pour their hearts out in the blink of an eye.

 

     "Have you ever regretted our son Joe? You were willing to see him every single day. Do things that only a father would, but you never let him call you daddy. If you hadn't wanted me-then that would have been fine-but God Joseph, I just wanted you to want Niall. He needed you more than I did." She let the tears flow freely breaking down on the spot.

 

       Blaise and Niamh stood flabbergasted at what they just heard between the old lovers. Joseph went to his knees gathering the only woman he has loved in his life as she wept over lost time. He joined her too at the thought of the hurt he had caused her...the family he could have had so long ago.

 

       "Jesus, what do you mean?"

 

         Niall stood at the front door stunned at what he heard and saw. His body went numb hearing his mother proclaim Niall as being Joseph's son. He wished that he could have delayed removing his earphones so that he didn't hear it.

 

         "Niall." Lorraine gasped. She wiped her face hurriedly and stood to her feet. She went to her grown son, grabbing for his arm, but was rejected as he side stepped her.

 

        "Take it back." He said in the calmest voice she ever heard him speak in. There wasn't any way for her to undo what had already transpired.

 

         "I can't." She wanted to touch her son. Hold him. The anguish on his face was too much for her to handle. Before anyone could stop him, Niall rushed Joseph. Joseph put up no fight, allowing the younger man to deliver the punches he knew were well earned.

 

     "Stop!" Blaise came to his aid, trying to pull the enraged Niall from him. Lorraine could only stand and watch the fight.

 

      One son against his father and new brother.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Read/Enjoy/Review please =)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.