Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

     The wind whipped across Niamh's face pulling free strands of her dark hair.


     "I almost want to go into mother mode and question you about what kept you so late last night, but you're a grown woman and I forget sometimes." Her mother said softly, moving the hair from Niamh's face.


      "Please don't ask her who-what-she did last night, I don't think I could live after hearing it." Niall poked.  He never saw the slap to his back that smacked the air out of him.


     " Keep on with that bullshit and I'm taking the other leg out!" His sister narrowed his eyes into the back of his head. Sighing, she turned to her mother and said," Mama, I'm still your baby, you can ask me I honestly have no problem with you checking up on me." Wrapping her arms around Lorraine's shoulders, she peppered kisses along her face.


     " Tell me what it was you were out for."


     " Oh Ma, Mr. Kincaid's new home design was revealed last night. It was residential, but you know people like that have huge parties where they only know a quarter of the visitors so..."


    "You snuck in?!" Lorraine asked horrified." Nia, please don't ever do that. Who knows how serious they will be with reprimanding you if you were caught."


    "Relax please. It would have never gone that far Mama, there was enough alcohol there to make everyone a friend. I just had to see the design."


     " You've been in love with that man since God knows when. I've never heard of a child throwing fits just to go see buildings.You're strange you." She winked to her daughter.


     Niamh began walking backwards, keeping pace with her mother as she laughed. " It all started when we lived with the Saslows. I used to sneak behind you before you finished cleaning Mr. Saslow's office."


     At the mention of her former employer, Lorraine's eyes darted between her children hesitantly. "You...you remember that place?" Drawing her arms around her chest," What do you remember?" She asked terrified coming to a stop she drew the attention of both children, causing Niamh to stumble on her heels.


      Noticing his mother's grave look, Niall asked in a cautious tone,"We nearly grew up there Mom, why wouldn't we? What's wrong?"


       " I just hate having ever kept you kids there, I don't know what I was even thinking..." She stuttered as she speed walked past them without paying attention to what came rushing towards her. Just in time, the biker slammed on his breaks, his back wheel popping off the ground as he tapped Lorraine.


     "Mom!" Niamh ran to her mother seeing her clutch her chest as she bent over from the scare. Coming to her level, she grabbed her by her shoulders asking if she was okay. Behind them, Niall jogged the best he could with his leg brace on with his face red and frazzled.


      " You were on the wrong side of the walkway, what the hell is...." Niamh began to rip into the man, but when she looked up to see his signature white hair and blue eyes, she stopped starstruck.


      "Joseph Kincaid." She gasped. A hand shivered to her mouth as she pointed at him, too excited to speak. For a moment her mind blanked at her mother's state and she realized this and drew back her hand and cleared her throat as she turned back to Lorraine.


     " Are you fine? Was it just a scare?" Now her mother stood with horror in her eyes as if someone stood behind Niamh with a gun pointed aiming at her.


      "Lorraine? Lorraine Deges. I never would have thought I'd see you again. For surely I expected you to..." Joseph stopped dead in his tracks deciding against saying his last words." How are you?" He asked genuinely.


       " I am doing just  fine Mr. Kincaid." Her mother responded tersely.


      " Hey what's up with that? This is my architect, remember?" Niamh asked trying to defuse the bomb her mother turned into. " Be nice please, this is a once in a lifetime chance to meet such a nice man."


      "Nice?"


      "Nice!?"


     Lorraine and Joseph said simultaneously to Niamh's words. " Girl, have I not told you to never say anything if you don't know it for a fact."


    " But mom..." Niamh said embarrassed. She could feel the heat creep up her neck making her eyes blur.


     " Well...she's right, your mother. You can't really say that about me since we don't know each other that well." The man stammered out. He looked into the face of a woman he was sure to have died years ago. Here she was with her children standing in front of him. The young woman's face was the mirror image of one all too familiar to Joseph.The tall brooding man standing behind the ladies held a protective air about him as a flicker of recognition glared in his eyes. He stood silently, simply watching Joseph.


     "Niall Deges." The last he recalled, Niall was a eight year old vibrant boy. He always held a goofy smile on his face as he ran around during his antics. The man standing before him showed no sign that boy could be dug out from the person he had become now.


     "Niamh, you said you were a fan of my work?" He asked leaning back on his bike hoping to ease some of the tension. He looked behind him to see his son finally coming his way. The father and son had been racing each other around the park, and Joe had gotten so caught up in the race that he barely missed injuring Lorraine.


         "Yes I am sir, wait....I never told you my name. How did you know it?" Niamh started off with a smile but quickly retreated to a scowl as she registered all that he had said.


      " Well I..."


     "He must of heard me say it sweetie." Lorraine cut him off with a stern look daring him to say anything else. Joseph took this as a sign that Lorraine refused to acknowledge their past together, and chose to guard her Niamh from it as well.


     " What's going on dad?"  The sound of rolling wheels coming to a stop brought attention to Blaise from the small group gathered near his father. He saw a beautiful older woman staring daggers at his father. Her caramel skin was tinged pink from the wind rushing through the air. Behind her was a man who looked to be around the same age as him looking at the oncoming stranger with discontent. A swell occurred in his chest as he felt an animalistic instinct to protect his manhood as he felt the testosterone in the air.


     "Dad?"  A switch turned on in Blaise at the sound of the female voice. He thought it was a sound carried on in the wind, but when he looked past his father's body, he saw her.


    There weren't many things that could make Blaise's face express surprise, but seeing the object of his attention in the last twenty four hours brought it out. Putting down his kickstand, he walked past the other adults standing there, forgetting they existed, and stood inches from Niamh.


      "What are you doing here?" He asked curiously with a quirk of a smile. Reaching down he absentmindedly grabbed hold of her hand, toying with her long delicate fingers. Her eyes bugged out as she took note of the man whom should have only shown up in her life for one night. She never brought all the men she met home to her mother, and she knew...just knew.... That her mother could sense that he was one of them.


      " It's the park isn't it? Let go of her fucking hand." Niall jerked his sister back, placing her and his mother behind him. He had been on the verge of exploding at first running into the older Kincaid. He could hold it back, but once he saw the younger male, that sealed the deal.


       He looked back into Niamh's face as a new wave of anger rose in him from her body language. When they got home, she would have a lot to hear from him.


      " Woah, brother. I don't think I had spoken to you, but my friend there." Blaise got a cocky look unknowingly thinking about just how friendly they were.


      "Blaise..." His father said knowing how his son could come off to strangers when he felt challenged.


     Niahm peeked around her brother, putting a name to his face. Blaise Kincaid. What were the odds that she would sleep with her idol's son. Is this like women who sleep with the next best member in a band when they really admire the star of the group?


       Suddenly, Niall threw a fist hard enough to nearly make him fall forward as he went after the other man's neck." Keep your fucking tongue still!" He shouted as Blaise dodged out of his way, he had the upperhand over Niall because of his brace.


      "Hey  look, we need to head out you two." Niamh voiced grabbing for her mother's elbow and Niall's. When she went to touch her brother, he moved his arm from her hand and looked at her as if she had rolled in rhino shit.


      "Fucking unbelievable." He murmured as he shoulder Blaise when he began to walk away. Niamh stood confused staring at the back of his shaking head.


     "Niamh how do you know him?" Her mother looked at her with a knowing look.


     "I've...met...him before, but it was so recent that I don't actually know him know him M-"


     " The both of you better stay clear of me. My daughter also." Lorraine commanded to the two men in front of her. She turned to Niamh with a look that bordered the lines of the one Niall gave her just moments before.


    Niamh felt uncomfortable at the looks and felt like crying; she couldn't understand the coldness they were sending her way. They both walked away leaving her behind to gawk.


      " Now our no name game is over." Blaise said aloud when it was only he, Niamh, and his father left .


      " Cut the crap." Joseph said tensely." Dear, I'm sorry for what happened here."He apologized to Niamh as he and Blaise mounted their bikes once again.


     Unable to see through the fangirl moment, Niamh was able to quickly draw together a smile for one of two people she looked up to. " No no Mr. Kincaid. It's fine really. They just may not be having a good day."


    "Maybe." He said." Well, Miss Niamh, maybe our paths will cross another day and we could possibly sit down and chat. You seem like you would have a lot to say. Good bye." He grinned as he pedaled away.


     "Have a good day Mr. Kincaid!" She called after him as his back disappeared. Her arm fell back to her side once she stopped. The feel of Blaise's eyes on her put every hair on edge. Collecting her composure, her eyes slowly travelled to him.


     " Who name's their child Blaise?"


     "Oh, so Niamh is a common name? You know you could have had that legally changed when you were eighteen, in case you didn't know."


     They stood there silently looking at each other, waiting to see who would break it first.

  Blaise mischievously wiggled an eyebrow recognizing what she was doing. Niamh broke out into a light laugh that was almost nervous.


      "Can I tell you that I hadn't prepared to actually see you again? Especially not in a few hours."


      " You're not alone there. It's one thing to wake up beside you,that seems normal with what we did. But to just happen to cross paths outside of that seems unusual. " Blaise admitted.


     "This wasn't supposed to happen...us and..."Niamh ran a hand across the back of her neck making eye contact with Blaise hoping that she didn't have to finish her sentence.


     " What? You regret sleeping with me?" Blaise blatantly said causing some heads to turn in their direction. He had no warning sign of the offense he would take to her words. Niamh never had a problem with her way of life, being confident in her sexuality, but that sure as hell didn't mean she was okay with it being broadcasted in such a way.


      " Look, that's not what I said." She held a finger up to her mouth asking for him to quiet down. Walking forward, she hoped that he would follow so that they could continue their conversation without others listening in.


     Niamh could hear the sound of the his wheels rolling after her." I'm not so sure what I was saying just then honestly Blaise, but now, I would like to apologize for how my family acted. There really wasn't any reason for them to behave that way."


    She has never seen either one of them act in such a way to strangers. They weren't hostile people. The fact that they both had obviously left her, told Niamh that she deserved to know why their attitudes had been so nasty. Maybe then she wouldn't feel like she'd have to defend their actions if she was given some of their personal insight. Looking at Blaise's profile, she got lost in studying the curve of his chin and the hair that decorated it.


     She saw the muscle in his jaw jump as he turned to her and said," Don't worry about that. My feelings aren't hurt."


      "One."


      " One? One what?" Blaise asked amused at her reference to his phrase just the night before.


    " One thing that we have in common. Invincibility to petty feelings." Niamh said scrunching up her nose to him.


     The grin Blaise held fell slowly to only a mere quirk of his lips. " Well, have you found that doesn't always work in your favor?"


      She took time to think about his question. " Actually, yes." She said softly watching her feet as they moved.


     " Two." The bike came to a halt once the two had reached the parking lot. " I should turn around now. My father is long gone by now." He said with regret lacing his undertone.


     " Yeah...Mr. Kincaid." Niamh said with a small smile showing that her mind had drifted back to the awkward moment of meeting Joseph.


      " Goodness, you say his name like a sick girl." Blaise said feigning disgust.


      "He's an amazing man at what he does." She defended.


     " Well hey, since you know my name now, you can say it with that much care from now on. Until then Niamh...." Blaise rode around her, leaving her in her place with his audacious words.

       "You must be out of you mind." She mumbled.


        Niamh realized just how much of an interest Blaise had struck in her. Sure, he came off cocky, but what should she have expected after his bold advance to her within minutes after their first meeting?


    Arrogant men were never her taste, but something told her that Blaise Kincaid wouldn't be just a craving for this week, this month, maybe even just this year. He could become a permanent ingredient into her pot of life that still needed tweaking to the recipe.


     Shaking her head at the thought, she broke into a light jog, wanting to cut the time home in half and maybe even catch up with her mother and brother.    

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.