Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Gabriel and Honey both have families that have issues and neither of them want their parents to find out whats really going on in their lives, but how long can they hold off the drama?




Author's Chapter Notes:

Gabriel and Honey face their parents.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 1 Deception




Gabriel walked into the library of the sixteen room mausoleum that his parents called ‘home’ and stood in the doorway. His father, Albert Wainright was seated behind the huge mahogany desk that had been in the family more than one hundred years. It seemed to Gabriel that everything in the house was old. He couldn’t remember the scenery in the house ever changing.

The Wainrights were well known all over the state of Virginia. They were conservative Republican’s through and through…old money…and always careful about how they presented themselves to the public. His father was the state’s Attorney General. His older sister was a partner in the law firm of McDaniel, Woods and Battle. Yes, the Wainrights ruled, and Gabriel knew that he alone was the fly in the ointment, the family renegade.

Albert Wainright looked up at his son standing in the doorway. He looked much younger than his twenty six years and Albert couldn’t help but sigh. His son’s blond bangs shielded his eyes and Albert wished that he would get a haircut, but that was the least of his concerns. Gabriel was his only son. Albert’s two brothers both had daughters and Gabriel was the last in the line of the Wainright men. Albert Wainright had been proud to be the one to be able to carry on his grandfather’s legacy through his son. The family name should have continued through Gabriel, but there was just one problem, Gabriel was gay.

Albert felt that he should have realized it when Gabriel began to dance at the age of three. He wanted ballet lesions as well as modern dance. Albert had protested, but his wife Audrey had insisted and his one weakness was that he could refuse his wife nothing. Albert had hoped that it was only a phase. He watched his son grow tall and lanky. He didn’t want to believe it, but by the time Gabe was fifteen and still dancing, the whispers had already started. Gabriel moved with a grace that Albert felt that no straight man possessed. His pretty boy features, slim build and long hair gave the illusion of femininity that turned Albert’s stomach. His brothers were always pointing it out to him every chance they got.

It was a bitter pill to swallow and Albert had hopes that all of the whispers were lies, but his son never brought a girl home. Albert would introduce him to girls and Gabe didn’t seem the least bit interested. When he finished college, he moved in with a man, a man that was well known to be gay. Albert knew that Lee, Gabe’s roommate made no secret of his preference for men and this fact alone put the nail in the coffin of any heterosexual hopes Albert had for his son. A private investigator had taken pictures of Lee Walters with many different men, though he found none with Gabriel. Albert prayed that his son would not contract HIV.

Albert now pointed to a chair for Gabriel to sit down and is son complied. If only everything he asked of him could be so easy! He didn’t want to start the conversation off by going on attack mode. That wouldn’t solve anything and Gabe would surely clam up. He decided to take the gentle approach instead.

“Gabe, how are you doing son?” he asked sincerely.

“I’m fine, Dad. What’s up?” Gabe replied grinning as he stretched his legs in front of him. He knew that his father hadn’t summoned him home just to inquire about his health.

“I’m concerned for your safety” Albert said clearing his throat. “I know that you are grown and all, but your boyfriend is sleeping with anything that will bend over. I’m concerned-“

“Dad, I’m 26 years old” Gabriel replied patiently. “Don’t do this.”

“I don’t want you getting sick” his father said gruffly. “I’m trying to accept the fact that you’re gay, but I can’t accept the fact that my only son is putting his life at risk. This is hard for me Gabe. You’re my only son. I’ll never have grandchildren.”

Gabriel sighed. “I’m not putting my life at risk, and as for grandchildren there’s your beloved Sydney to consider.”

“Sydney cannot carry on the Wainright name unless she has a baby out of wedlock, and that is not acceptable. Besides, Sydney is so focused on her career right now; I don’t know when she’ll settle down.” Albert admitted.

“Perhaps you ought to talk to her.” Gabe suggested. “After all, she’s thirty one and her biological clock is ticking.”

Albert Wainright ran his hand through his gray hair and looked up at his son. “ I didn’t ask you here to talk about Sydney. I had such high hopes for you, Gabe” he whispered brokenly. “You’re the last of the Wainrights. You were the one that is supposed to carry on the family name. Now that you’re living that alternative lifestyle…sleeping with men, I know I’ll never be a grandfather to a Wainright.”

Gabriel stared at his father. He loved the old man, but Albert Wainright had a lot of issues that separated the two of them. A part of him wanted to clear up a few misconceptions.

“You never know…” he said letting his voice trail off as he stared at his father. “Anything is possible.”

“What the hell does that mean?” Albert snapped. “You’re gay, alright. I get it! Don’t mock me!”

“I never told you that I was gay” Gabe reasoned. “You assumed that on your own.”

Albert scoffed. “You didn’t have to tell me. Your mother had you dancing in tights since you were three. You’ve never brought a girl home and now you’re living with an obviously gay man who sleeps with a lot of other gay men. What part of your being gay don’t I understand Gabriel?”

Gabriel sat back in the chair. His father had reached his own conclusions long ago and he had long stopped trying to change his mind. Gabe couldn’t see the need in continuing this conversation.

“Is it something else you want from me?” Gabriel asked standing up.

“There’s the benefit dinner coming up in two weeks. Your mother would like you there. She’s worked very hard to raise money for the African refugees.” Albert replied looking at the calendar. “Can you be there?”

“Of course I’ll be there” Gabe said grinning. “Shall I bring a date, or will you provide one for me?”

Albert’s eyes grew big at the comment. “I would prefer to provide one. We’re dealing with the church here and I don’t want you showing up with that walking advertisement for disease you call a roommate.”

“Very well then.” Gabe said mockingly. “Please pick out an appropriate female for the occasion. Most likely you’ll choose some thin brunette as always.”

He snickered to himself and then stood up and walked out of the library. He was through talking to his father.

Albert Wainright put his head in his hands. He wished to God that he was wrong about Gabe. His son always seemed to leave the question up in the air about his sexuality, but he never debated with his father about it. He seemed just to accept what Albert thought about him and Albert was a bit perplexed. He figured that Gabe just didn’t want to voice his preference for men out loud. No straight man would allow his father to call him gay! No, Gabriel was gay without a doubt and Albert wondered what in the world he could do to make himself accept that fact. Maybe he was in denial just as much as Gabe appeared to be.

He sighed and picked up the phone. Several of his close friends had lovely daughters that would be perfect for Gabe...if only that was what he wanted. He fought the lump that was forming in his throat. Why did life have to be so cruel?

((***))



Gabriel walked into the apartment and slammed the door. His roommate Lee was perched on the sofa. He and Lee had been friends since college. Lee was tall, dark and handsome and had no problem attracting dates. His rugged good looks caught many a female’s eye, but he was quick to tell them that he preferred men. He always laughed at the looks of disappointment he would receive from females.

“So how did things go with Daddy Dearest?” he asked glancing at Gabe from the sofa.

“How do you think?” Gabe snapped walking over to him. “He had a complete folder on all your latest sexual conquests. He’s concerned about me getting aids.”

Lee threw back his head and laughed. “Not to worry. I always use condoms” he said grinning. “It’s sweet that he’s so concerned though.”

“Whatever” Gabe snapped looking through the mail that was on the coffee table.

“So he still thinks you’re doing me?” Lee inquired looking at his nails that he had put clear polish on.

“Of course. You and I live together, so we couldn’t possibly be just roommates in my dear father’s eyes.” Gabe replied tossing the junk mail back on the coffee table.

“You’re not my type” Lee replied looking at him. “I like my men hard and rugged.”

“My feelings are not hurt, believe me” Gabe replied dryly. He walked into the kitchen and over the fridge and got out a beer and took a swig.

“Uh-oh Mr. Dancer. Beer’s not allowed!” Lee said eying him.”Can’t have you getting fat, you know.”

“I can have a beer.” Gabe argued. “I have a high metabolism.”

“Please, high metabolism my ass! When you’re not dancing, you’re fucking HER most likely!”

“Jealous much?” Gabe replied.

“Oh please!” Lee said rolling his eyes. “Neither one of you could get a rise out of me.”

“That’s nice to hear” Gabe snickered.

“Why don’t you just tell the old man the truth and put him out of his misery?”Lee asked getting up off the sofa. “This is the new millennium you know. “

“He can’t handle the truth” Gabe replied. “I think he’d rather think that I’m gay than to deal with the reality of what is really going on in my life. Right now he’s just uncomfortable, the truth will most likely get me disinherited. “

“You’re being overly dramatic” Lee pointed out.

“Maybe, but my family is not the only one that has issues.” Gabe replied.

“Don’t make me go to that big house on the hill he lives in and get that hood and sheet out of his closet.” Lee teased.

“It’s in the attic” Gabe said dryly.

“You’re kidding, right?” Lee asked surprised. “I was just joking.”

“It’s no joke. I found it in the attic when I was ten. I knew what it was. Believe me, when your grandfather was a member of the KKK, it makes you look at your family in a whole new light.” Gabe said shaking his head. “And my father wants me to carry on the Wainright legacy? Yeah right!”

“But that was years ago, right? “ Lee insisted. “Your father has never talked that racist stuff to you, has he?”

Gabriel stared at Lee as if he was stupid. He didn’t reply immediately, but sipped his beer.

“Has he ever used the “N” word?” Lee persisted not willing to let it go.

“You mean did I ever hear the word, “nigger” or “coon” or “porch monkey” or “spade?” Yeah, lots of times.” Gabe said finishing off the beer and throwing the bottle in the trash.

“Damn” was all Lee could utter in disbelief.

“Oh he covers it up nicely, you know” Gabe replied sarcastically. “After all, such talk is not politically correct. So we only use it in the privacy of our homes where there are no microphones recording of our conversations and we can be free to express ourselves.”

Lee shook his head.

“So how did you turn out to be such a liberal thinker? And what about your sister?” Lee insisted.

“My sister is her father’s child. She idolizes him. She’s a lawyer because he’s a lawyer. She made her Daddy proud. She should have had the dick instead of me. He’d have liked that.”

“Well actually it sounds like your father feels that she does have the dick. Maybe he thinks you let her have yours.” Lee teased

“My penis is intact, thank you” Gabriel snickered. “And Sydney can’t have it because I put it to good use.”

“You really need to come clean” Lee said pointing his finger. “Put the old man’s mind at ease.”

Gabe laughed at that comment. “Shit, he’d go straight into heart failure for sure. No thank you. I don’t want that on my head.”

“He’s bound to find out eventually” Lee reasoned.

“I’ll deal with it at that time” Gabriel replied unconcerned. “In fact, I hope he does find out, but I’m not going to be the one to tell him. He’s such a damn good investigator. He can tell me who you’re fucking, but he has no idea what’s his own son is up to.”

“Maybe he’s afraid” Lee replied.

Gabriel laughed. “He has reason to be.”

((***))

Honey Jones pushed the food around on her plate. She should have known that having lunch with her mother was a bad idea. Any public appearances with her mother turned out to be a bad idea. Sugar was the most ghetto fabulous person she had ever seen.

Her mother sat across from her with her Mary J. Blige blonde weave and her fake eyelashes and nails. She always wore her clothes tight and her breasts always appeared to be on the verge of breaking out of confines of her too tight top. She always wore heels and her lips were painted a bright color, usually red.

Sugar Jones was a loud, ghetto fabulous woman who demanded attention. Honey was the manager in the Junior Department at Macy’s and her mother had called her at work, insisted on seeing her. Honey had asked her mother to meet her at Jason’s Corner Grill and could only hope that she would be on good behavior. Her hopes were quickly dashed when Sugar screamed for a waiter to come over to their table.

“Girl, how many hours do you put in that place?” Sugar asked eying her daughter after getting the waiter’s attention.

“Ma, it’s not that many hours. I’m the manager of the department. I have things to do.” Honey replied.

“You need a man” Sugar insisted. “A good one with some money to take care of you. Forget this working your ass off shit!”

“I didn’t go to college for some man to take care of me” Honey replied patiently. “I like working with clothes. I like fashion!”

Sugar rolled her eyes. “I don’t understand you, girl. Are you sure you’re my child? Maybe there was a mix-up at the hospital.”

“I don’t know. You tell me” Honey countered.

“Yeah, you’re mine” Sugar replied grinning. “You’re all serious and shit just like your bookworm daddy. I did him on a bet, you know.”

“So you told me” Honey replied. She had heard the story a thousand times already.

“So, when are you going to bring him around to meet me?” Sugar asked eying her daughter.

“What are you talking about, Ma?” Honey replied innocently. Bringing the love of her life around her mother was the last thing she wanted to do.

“Shit, don’t lie to me Honey Dew Jones!” Sugar replied. “I can hear that pussy of yours purring from over here. Somebody’s stroking it for sure.”

“Ma, please. Must you be so vulgar?” Honey replied rolling her eyes.

“Must you be so stuck up?” Sugar countered. “And to think I raised you the best I could!”

“What makes you think that I have a man? Maybe I’m just playing the field” Honey insisted. “Maybe I don’t want to be in a serious relationship right now.”

“Bullshit” Sugar countered as she popped her gum. She pointed a long red nail at her daughter.

“You are seeing someone. I can tell.” She insisted. “I just want to know why you don’t want me to meet him.”

“If it was serious, I’d bring him around” Honey replied. “You know how much I work.”

“Uh-huh” Sugar replied. “Does he have any money?”

“Nope. He’s in rehab. “Honey lied. “He’s trying to get himself together.”

The waiter brought their food that Honey knew that she had to pay for. She had ordered a sandwich while her mother had ordered the fried seafood platter with a side order of hot wings. Sugar quickly dug into her meal.

“Shit, Honey.” Sugar snapped pointing a shrimp at her daughter. “Why in the hell would you get involved with a loser like that? If I told you once, I told you a thousand times! Find a man with some money. Hell, then you could break me off a piece of that cheddar. You’ve put yourself through school and you have all the book sense but no common sense! A druggie is a loser! You’ll be taking care of him for sure. Don’t you have any sense!”

“I’m not taking care of him and I’m not going to.” Honey insisted. “The sex is good, OK? That’s all he’s good for. I don’t even let him stay at my place.”

“That’s my girl” Sugar said nodding in agreement. “I guess I can understand since the man must be packing. You had better be using condoms.”

“Always” Honey replied. She hated lying to her mother, but it was necessary right now to do so.

Sugar sucked on the hot wing she had in her hand. “Well, keep your options open. Don’t even let him think that it’s anything serious.”

“He doesn’t” Honey replied. “We have an understanding.”

“Good” Sugar replied nodding. She stood up licking her fingers. “I have a hair appointment. Can you loan me fifty dollars?”

Honey opened her purse, expecting her mother to ask her for money. “Ma, this is my last fifty dollars. I don’t get paid for another week.”

“I’ll give it back” Sugar insisted. “I’m meeting Rickey tonight. He’s loaded. Come by the house tomorrow and pick it up.”

“Alright.” Honey replied. “I’ve got to return to work.”

Honey watched as he mother walked down the street and shook her head. She wished things could be different, but the thought of her mother meeting any man that she became serious about sent chills throughout her body.

The man she was seeing had more money than her mother could count. She could just imagine how her life would be if Sugar Jones found out who she was really involved with. No, it was for the best that Sugar continued to believe that she was dating a man in rehab until she could figure out what she was going to do.

Sugar had been a single parent who had raised Honey while still trying to be a party girl. She was a mother at sixteen and lived with her aunt who had become a mother at fifteen. Honey had watched her mother hustle men all her life. More than likely she would have followed in her footsteps except that she had been part of an afterschool mentoring program and she was shown a different side of life. She didn’t like all the men, the partying and sex that she was exposed to at a young age. She liked the peacefulness of the library and the solace that books gave her. She visited her father and his parents when she could, but she never knew when her mother would become pissed at them if she asked for money and they didn’t produce it. Her mother thought that she was a little weird for not wanting to party like other girls when she was fourteen, and kept saying that she was a bookworm like her father.

Her father was the one who had insisted that she get into the mentoring program at school. He was a sweet man, though he was a little slow. She could easily understand how her mother’s friends had set the poor man up. He had gone to school with them and was a preacher’s son. He was in Special Education classes. He reminded Honey of Forrest Gump. Sugar had told her that a fellow gay student had spotted Adams package in the boy’s bathroom and had made an unsuccessful attempt to turn him out. Then the word had gotten around school that Adam Henderson was packing ten inches and she and her friends had made a bet as to who could seduce the poor boy. Sugar being Sugar had won the bet and nine months later Honey was born.

Sugar swore that she was on birth control pills and still couldn’t figure out how she had gotten pregnant by Adam, but she was indeed pregnant! His well off preacher father had paid Sugar support for Honey and Sugar couldn’t have been happier. Adam had insisted on being a part of his daughter’s life and Sugar had no problem with that as long as the money kept rolling in.

Honey went to visit her father and grandparents from time to time, but they couldn’t stand Sugar and Honey could understand their distain. She wished that her mother would calm herself down. After all, she was now forty six years old and she was still acting like she was twenty.

Honey had gone to college with the help of her father and grandparents. Her mother had argued that the money could be better spent somewhere else, but Honey had wanted to go to college and Sugar had no say in the matter. Honey knew that she was just pissed that her child support had been cut off once she graduated high school. Now that the child support was long over, Sugar would come to her and beg for money since she that she knew that her daughter had a good job.

Honey would give her money from time to time, but she had made up her mind long ago, that she wasn’t going to let her mother rule her life or her finances. She had a little nest egg saved that Sugar didn’t know anything about. Honey had been on her own since she graduated from college.

Now her mother harped on her finding a rich man and living large. Honey had made up her mind that she was not going to be her mother’s private bank account. She had told Sugar several times that she wasn’t interested in any particular man and that maybe she should find her own sugar daddy. Honey was no fool. Her mother wasn’t as young and pretty as she once was and the men wanted young girls these days and not a woman Sugar’s age, though she did score from time to time.

Honey shook her head. This was the reason why she wanted to be able to make it on her own. She knew that looks were not going to carry her forever. While her mother was a small woman, Honey was thick…a size sixteen to be exact. She had plenty of hips and chest. She had dated on and off, but nothing serious until the last year. Her mother would say that she hit the proverbial ‘jack pot’. He was good-looking and he was rich. If her mother knew, she’d be on cloud nine for sure and would be parked outside her door with her hand out every day. There was no way that Honey was going to tell her anything about her boyfriend until she absolutely had to.

She didn’t know how long she could keep her mother in the dark, but she was going to try to keep things quiet for as long as she possibly could. The last thing she needed was for her mother to find out about the man she was really involved with. The meeting would be a total disaster. She prayed that she could stay one step ahead of things.

Honey pushed the thought from her mind, paid the bill and headed back to the store. Her lunch break was officially over.

((***))

He never ceased to excite her with just a glance. She couldn’t explain it except to say that the attraction between the two of them had been like a magnet and static electricity and fire all rolled up together from the moment that the two had met.

He had stared at Honey with blatant lust in his eyes at the World Hunger Benefit over a year ago. He sipped his wine and stared. She had attended with the free tickets Macys had provided and had planned on leaving as soon as she could get away with it.

Those green eyes continued to stare as she moved around, and she tried to move out of their line of vision. Hadn’t he ever seen a black woman before? Did he think that she didn’t belong there? She hadn’t known what to think.

The benefit had been a huge success and the place was packed. She had walked to the ladies room and was surprised to find him waiting outside the door when she had come out.

“May I help you?” she had asked surprised at his forward manner. He looked young…too young for her. He was thin, but muscular and he moved with the grace of a panther. On first glance, he looked a little sweet to Honey, but the way he was eye fucking her told her otherwise.

“Yes you may” he had purred in a deep baritone that made her panties wet.

“Do you date white boys?”

She was totally taken aback. “What?”

“I asked if you dated white boys, because I’m white and I want to know what my chances are of getting a date with you.” He had asked boldly.

Honey stared at him stupidly. “I think you’re a bit too young for me.”

“How old do I look?” he asked grinning.

“Not a day over nineteen” she replied coolly.

“I’m twenty five” he had responded. “Care to see my ID?”

“Is it fake?” she quipped.

“No” he said looking around. “I’ve made my appearance per my parent’s request. I’m ready to leave this place. Care to join me?”

Honey had stared at him suspiciously. “Where are you going?”

“How about the Waffle House? The food here sucked.” He replied.

Honey grinned. She liked the Waffle House. “Alright, but I’ll meet you there.” She had replied, not trusting this bold stranger.

That had been the beginning. She had no intention of ever seeing him again seriously. He looked half her age even though he was only four years younger than she was. She found out that he was a ballet dancer and while he wasn’t a pro, he did teach dance classes at the Richmond Ballet which explained what she considered to be his ‘soft’ side.

She thought that if he wasn’t gay, he was at least bisexual. He hadn’t appeared that manly to her even with his Barry White voice. Then the unthinkable happened. They had been carrying on a conversation in Waffle House and pretty soon his friend Lee who was obviously gay showed up with a male friend and he had joined the two of them in the booth that they had been occupying.

Honey immediately wanted to get out of there. She wasn’t homophobic, but she wasn’t sure what he was trying to do. It didn’t make any sense to her. She had hurried out to her car with him on her heels. She got in the driver’s side, not thinking that the passenger side door unlocked also and he quickly got in before she could protest.

“I want to see you again.” He said grinning at her confused expression.

“Why?” she had responded. “I’m not into that freaky shit. Go trolling somewhere else.”

She had started the engine. “Can you get out of my car please?”

She tried not to panic as he stared at her hungrily and didn’t move.

“You’re not afraid of me are you, Honey?” he asked watching her.

Honey took a deep breath and turned to him. “I’m not afraid. I just don’t understand you. What do you want with me? “

His cologne had teased her nostrils as he leaned into her and captured her lips. Honey had been totally unprepared for her body’s response to his kiss. She heard him chuckle softly as he pulled her into his arms, deepening the kiss. He then took her hand and rubbed it against the hardness between his legs. His green eyes sparkled with amusement at her confused expression.

“I’m all man, Honey” he said as if reading her mind. “I love women and I love pussy. “ He licked his lips and Honey felt more wetness pool between her thighs. “I live for the day when I can taste yours.”

Honey’s heart felt as if it would beat out of her chest. “B-But your friends-“

“The key word is ‘friends’ not ‘lovers’. Gabe had replied. “In my profession I have a lot of gay friends. Does that mean that I must be gay…well that’s very closed minded thinking.”

She had stared at him not knowing what to say. The bulge in his pants wasn’t lying. She knew that he wanted her.  Hell, she wanted him too even if she didn't want to admit it just yet.

“I want  to be with you Honey” he had confessed. “I knew that I wanted you from the moment I laid eyes on you at my mother’s benefit.

Her eyes had grown big. Was he talking about the Wainright benefit that they had just left? Was he telling her that he was a Wainright? They were worth millions, weren’t they? What did he want with her? Did he have some sick fetish for big black women?

He wouldn’t get out of the car until she let him put his number in her cell and then took hers. "You're going to be mine, Miss Honey"  he declared.

She wasn't too sure about that just yet. Her mind and body were still duking it out. 

“Good night, Honey” he said smoothly as he then exited the car. She had then quickly pulled off without replying.

Gabriel Wainright had spent the next six months pursuing her. During that time she had learned about his family and their prejudices and his reasons why he hadn’t refuted their belief that he was indeed gay. Gabe had told her that his father had gone off on his sister for being friends with a black man while she was in law school. He had been afraid that something more was going on between them. His sister had immediately bowed to her father’s wishes and dropped the guy.

“I have always been attracted to black women” Gabe confessed. “My father would always try to set me up with these red heads or brunettes who were a size zero. I like big women, so that’s two strikes against me. “

“Why do you even care what he thinks?” Honey replied. “You’re grown.”

“I could say the same thing about you.” Gabe chuckled. Honey had told him about her ghetto fabulous money seeking mother.

“I want to enjoy our relationship for as long as I can before the drama begins.” Gabe confessed. "Can you just imagine your mother and my father knocking heads?"

Honey nodded in agreement, but wondered how much longer the two of them could keep up the charade.

((***))























Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.