Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Alrighty folks, after this chap. things really kick off...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


More Characters:

Chrisette

Devin

Alison

 

"Hello Danica. Is everything okay?" Dr. Greenway queried over the phone.

 

"Um, well yes- no," Danica fumbled as she folded her knees to her chest. She sat on the patio swing in her backyard. "I don't know."

 

"It's alright," Dr. Greenway assured. "Just talk to me. How's your family?"

 

"They're fine," nodded Danica. "They've been really good considering..."

 

"Yes, well that's good to hear." She noticed that Danica still had trouble bringing her self to say the words. "How's your fiancé?"

 

The air seemed to rush from Danica's lungs at the mention of Ethan. He was the whole reason for the need to contact the therapist. She needed guidance on how to speak about a situation she was afraid to bring up.

 

"Danica," Dr. Greenway called. "Are you still there?"

 

"Y-yes," She cleared her throat. "I haven't seen him yet."

 

"You have to tell him eventually." She offered calmly. "You know that, don't you?"

 

"I know. I want too, but-" Danica paused. "I'm scared."

 

"Danica, I know it's still hard for you to accept what happened. But you've made some wonderful progress and I'd hate for you to let your fear hinder that."

 

Dr. Greenway continued on as Danica sat in silence, taking in her words.

 

"Ethan is your fiancé, and from what you've told me, he loves you. I would even venture to say that he loves you unconditionally."

 

"That's the problem," Danica sniffled, wiping her eyes. "He loves the old me. But this new me, the one that disappeared on him? He won't accept that."

 

"The old you is still there," Dr. Greenway reasoned. "And if he loves you enough to want you as his wife, he will accept what has happened to you."

 

Danica wordlessly agreed, swiping at her tear streaked face.

 

"Danny," A third voice yelped in alarm. Danica's head snapped to the right, where Devin stood at the back door. "What's wrong?"

 

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Dr. Greenway spoke, deciding it was best to continue the conversation at another time. "Take care of yourself Danica."

 

"Okay, bye Dr. Greenway," Danica ended the call as Devin made his way over to her. "I'm ok Devin."

 

"I know," Devin said dismissively. "But you know I hate to see you cry."

 

She just shrugged, knowing Devin had gone into big brother mode.

 

"What's the matter?" He inquired. Reflexively, he reached up to wipe her face. Danica immediately flinched at the movement.

 

She felt the guilt hit the second Devin dropped his hand with a disheartening look.

 

"Sorry," She apologized, which he waved off with a weak grin.

 

"It's my fault. I forgot." He said. "Mom told me Mrs. Carson called."

 

"Yeah," Danica confirmed. "I don't know how I'm going to tell Ethan."

 

"He'll understand, Danny." Devin encouraged. "He may be hurt for the moment, but he'll get passed it."

 

"If I'm lucky," She gave a sad chuckle.

 

"You'd be surprised how fast love can mend a hurt soul." Devin replied and hugged her close.

 

+++++++

 

Ethan kept his sunglasses lowered as he stepped inside the pharmacy. He was in desperate need of aspirin.

 

"You look like you've been to hell and back."

Ethan inwardly cringed at the voice and its opinion, but presented the most neutral expression he could.

 

"Hey Alison," He greeted the wide eyed woman. "How's it going?"

 

"Pretty good," She smirked. "I can't say the same for you though."

 

"Cute," deadpanned Ethan as he browsed to isle.

 

"It's what I do best," She quipped, and this time Ethan really did cringe. They both knew it was Danica's comeback whenever he called her cute.

 

"So um," Alison cleared her throat. "What are you up to?"

 

"Nothing but a desperate search for aspirin," He muttered. Ethan finally turned his full attention to Alison when she stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on his arm.

 

"I know it might not count for much but, I've been told I'm a good listener."

 

Ethan felt his mouth go dry as he looked into her willing eyes.

 

"I'll keep that in mind," He rushed. Ethan grabbed the first bottle he saw and backed away. "I'll see you around."

 

The last thing Ethan wanted to do was talk; especially to her. He was in such a hurry to get out of the store that he didn't realize his name was being called.

 

A tiny girl with two puffy pig tail grinned up at him, "Hi Ethan!"

 

"Hi Chrissy," He felt himself soften the moment he looked into her face. Aside from Danica, Chrisette was the only one that had such an affect on him. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Daddy's getting my medicine," She spoke shyly, and pointed toward Devin who stood talking with a pharmacist. Ethan nodded in understanding. He dropped the bottle into a nearby bin and offered his hand to her.

 

"Come on. I don't think Devin likes you wondering off like this."

 

"Okay," Chrisette conceded and took his hand. Just as she did, Devin whipped around frantically. Ethan quickly lifted the little girl into his arms and swiftly made his way over to him. Anyone who knew Devin knew that Chrissette was practically his whole world.

 

"I got her man," Ethan announced getting Devin's attention. Ethan watched the panic ease from his face as they got closer.

 

"Jesus," Devin puffed out as Ethan handed Chrisette to him. "Chris, what did I tell you about doing that?!"

 

"I just wanted to say hi to Ethan daddy," She pouted. "I'm sorry."

 

"How's it going," Ethan greeted and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

 

"We're doing alright," Devin replied as an awkward silence fell over them.

 

Until Chrisette exclaimed, "Does this mean you and Danny are gonna get married now?"

 

The men's eyes widened at the child. Neither one was sure how to respond.

 

"I don't think so kid," Ethan answered as lightly as he could.

 

"But she came home!" Chrisette wailed in disbelief. "She's all better."

 

The words seemed to slap Ethan in the face. Home? Better?

 

"Wh- what's she talking about?" He fumbled as his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

 

Devin squeezed his eyes shut. "Danny... she's- she came home."

 

Devin opened his eyes to see Ethan staring him in the face.

 

"She's home," Ethan repeated, his lips thinning into a straight line. "Unbelievable."

 

He threw one hardened glare at Devin before shaking his head, turning and abruptly marching out the door.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.