Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

      "Mom, this isn't necessary. "

 

      " Nonsense, of course it is. I can't have my daughter looking any kind of way.

 

     Lisa's eyes followed her mother's svelte body, she saw that from head to toe she was dressed and groomed to the nines. Her feathered hair, impeccable make up, and stunning jewelry said nothing but the best about her to others.

 

     What Lisa could tell behind all of that glamour was the unhappiness and willingness to please her father that made her mother go to extra lengths. She had seen old photographs of her mother; long and lanky would have been the best way to describe her. Back then, her beauty could actually be seen in her boyish oversized clothes, but now it was merely masked by the façade and luxuries of wealth.

 

   She was a professor at a local community college, and her job didn't call for none of the showing off with fancy clothing and jewelry. As she placed an earring on in the mirror, Tonya studied the woman looking back intensely. Yes, the smoky gaze she gave herself screamed conceited, but there were two sides to everything. Behind her false confidence was a woman driven into a hole by her obsession with appearance.

 

        "You are not going to argue with me on this, Lisa. I have already called Shantel and scheduled this appointment at the very last minute. You know that doesn't happen often."

 

    Leaning back she fluffed her hair into the perfect position and puckered her lips to apply lipstick. Lisa was over her shoulder in the mirror reflection watching with a screwed up face.

 

     Scoffing, she asked, "Is there an issue, young lady?"

 

       "I can find something in my closet. It's just one dinner, and with Marcus of all people! I could go out in sweatpants and he wouldn't care either way! You know that we are like brother and sis-"

 

    "Brother and sister, and nothing more. Lisa, honey. You are a woman now, and Marcus is a man. Now, tell me you don't know what goes on between a man and a woman?" Turning around at her vanity, Tonya leaned against it and crossed her arms with an incredulous grin.

 

     "One day you can be outside shooting basketball with the boy, and the next he is eyeing you and seeing just how beautiful you have become. After that, they don't see just the friend in you, honey. No." Stepping to Lisa, she cupped her face which still held the innocence of her age in the apples of her cheeks.

 

    "He looks at you different now, baby. A woman. A confidante. A lover." The last word she whispered into Lisa's ear, sending chills down her spine.

 

    "What's better than getting to know the man you will marry one day?"

 

    "How about choosing him, worrying about all of this when I'm ready, and not having your parents give you away like a heifer?" Lisa's sarcastic tone put a sour look on her mother's face. Releasing her, she sucked her teeth.

 

      "Go put your face on. We are leaving when I say so."

 

     "Mom! This is too much!"

 

     "DO as I say! I am your mother, and I said go!" Tonya was curt as she turned her back on Lisa.

 

    As her daughter left the room with heavy feet, she couldn't help but to feel a tug in her chest as she watched her leave the room. When she was gone, Tonya stopped to put her head in her hands.

 

     "This is good for her. It is good for her. She needs this." She whispered to herself. By saying just these little phrases, Tonya had managed to endure a lot, and she hoped that maybe she could teach her daughter the same method. Lord knows that she would need it.

oOo

 

        When Lisa arrived at the clothing boutique with her mother, she was quiet as she led her into the back of the store, the area designated for special customers.

 

     "Stand up straight, and quit acting so hateful and put a smile on your face." Tonya commanded through clenched teeth.

 

     Lisa did as she was told. She wasn't as tall as her mother, but in that moment she was nearly an exact replica. She had taught her well in acting like she had class. Just then, a blonde modelesque woman came to meet the pair. It was Shantel, a woman Lisa had known all of her life. She had her fitted for all of her dance recital outfits, Easter dresses, anything that called for looking good.

 

     "Well, look who we have here!" Shantel clacked over in her high heels, grabbing Lisa by the shoulders and kissing her on both cheeks. "I haven't see you in a while, looks like you have grown into a beautiful young woman." Standing back to admire the more mature girl, Shantel squealed.

 

    "I am itching to get you into some of my new pieces!"

 

     "I've told her she should stop by to help you out. I know you've been just so busy lately with all of the buzz." Tonya and the other woman exchanged kisses and greetings. " Darling, we are in a crunch and need to get her into a new dress as soon as possible."

 

    "Oh, of course." Winking at Lisa, Shantel swept her arm in front of the mother and daughter, inviting them into the back of the store." Right this way."

 

    Lisa's feet remained planted right on the spot. Her mind was in turmoil as she fought with going with a very rash decision. If she could just turn, she would be out the store in seconds...

 

    " Lisa! We have no time to waste." Her pivot was halted midway as her mother turned to catch her daughter. Standing with her hand on her hip, she cleared her throat." Girl..."

 

   Stepping in behind them, she obeyed her mother with her head hung low.

oOo

Standing in front of the floor length mirror, Lisa clenched the fabric of the dress that was wrapped around her tightly. She pried her fingers away before she could tear it to shreds.

 

    It was a red number, bringing out a womanliness that even see had never seen standing bare in front of her bathroom mirror at home. Turning her head to the side, she examined what was before her.

 

    "No..." She breathed. The dress was indeed eye catching, and she could not deny it. It was the eighth one of the afternoon, and by the sound of her mother's gasps and awe behind her, it would be the last one.

 

     Crossing her arms before her raised breast, Lisa fought back tears in her eyes. This wasn't the way she wanted Marcus to see her. She didn't want anything to change.

 

    Amid the chatter and claps of the ladies in the room, Lisa croaked out a resounding, "No!"

 

    "No what honey?" Putting down the glass in her hand, Tonya narrowed her eyes at her daughter.

 

    "I refuse to wear this." Spinning on her heels, she stood with determination. Tonya let out a short laugh of disbelief. Standing to her feet, she walked slowly to the platform Lisa stood on. The confidence she had wavered at the sight of her approach, but steadying herself, Lisa held her head straight.

 

    "You don't refuse anything.With.Me. Baby girl."

 

    "I told you before we came here that I didn't want to do this, mom."

 

    "And I distinctly remember telling you that wasn't an option today." Tonya's voice lowered to a deadly level. She took a step up and onto the platform, coming within inches to Lisa's face. The woman towered over her exerting authority. Forcefully turning her to face the wall of mirrors, she gripped her elbows tightly.

 

     "You look beautiful in this. You will feel beautiful in this. You will wear this. Dress.Here." Releasing her, she spoke up as she said her next words.

 

    " Ladies! She looks absolutely stunning! Please ring us up, this is a winner!" The atmosphere resumed in the room as they began moving to pack things up.

 

    "This dress is for a cheap whore!" Lisa burst with anger as she watched things move out of her control."Not for me!"

 

     The stinging hit of her mother's palm stunned everything into silence. Numbness spread through Lisa's face and neck from the powerful slap.

 

      "We'll take the heels also, size 7 please." Stepping down, Tonya went over to the waiting couch and picked up her designer bag, looping over her arm.

 

     "Hurry up and get dressed. We still have to do your hair." The smile on her face had not faltered, even when she silenced her daughter and everyone else with her sudden action. Walking through the doors, she left with fear in her wake.

 

      A cold chill hit Lisa as she felt the gentle hands of Shantel on her shoulder. Flinching away, she hid her face, not able to bare looking at anyone who saw what had happened.

 

    Speaking softly, Shantel motioned to the other women around her to gather up the items to go. Shooing them out of the room, she heard the heavy tears falling from the young girl's eyes. Rubbing her hand down her hair, Shantel kissed her temple and without a word began to re dress Lisa.

 

     All the while her chestnut shoulders shook violently, but not a sound left her throat.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.