Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If you haven't noticed by now, the last couple of chapters have been a Lisa focus....




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Walking into the restaurant, Lisa and Marcus stood at a set distance. During the drive there, his usual quips didn't seem to suffice as Lisa only laughed lightheartedly in response, and simply nodded her head every now and then. There was a figurative barrier pushing them apart.

 

     By glancing around the restaurant, it was obvious that the mood was romantic, dark, and sultry. There was low lighting and the light sounds of a live piano playing from the center of the room. As they were led to their booth, she saw some couples settled in each other's necks, whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears. A bad taste coated her mouth.

 

    Was her father serious?

 

     This was beyond an invasion of her privacy, of her right to her own life and who she loved and how she loved.

 

    Her mind left her, and her body moved through the motions. She sat down as Marcus thanked the waiter for the menus. She nodded at the suggestions he made. Soon she tuned out as he asked her opinions on certain dishes.

 

    Putting down his own menu, he watched her eyes scan the page, retaining nothing. Two complementary waters were placed on the table, and their waiter asked to start them off with one of their special wines.

 

     "Weedy?"

 

      Lisa didn't lift her head or respond to his call.

 

    Asking the waiter to give them a minute for privacy, he leaned closer, pulling the edge of the menu down to the table top.

 

    Finally her eyes met his.

 

   Studying her face closely, his mind quickly worked to find a way to fix the atmosphere. "How about we get out of here?" Looking around with a scrutinizing expression, Marcus scrunched up his face. "Fatties looks like a better deal than this place right about now. Don't you think so?"

 

     Raising his eyebrows, he waited for the childlike grin that took over the grim frown that had been on her face all night.

 

    "Can we get milkshakes too?"

 

     "Well, is there any other way?" Grabbing her hand, Marcus led her from the table, leaving her dragging her bag behind her as he moved quickly in between the other patrons of the restaurant. Her heels clacked loudly as she kept up with his long strides.

 

 

     "Sir? Sir, are you leaving?" The frazzled waiter spotted the couple he was paid under the table to watch throughout the night. Seeing the man and young woman leave laughing louder than any other sounds in the place, he worried if the man who had tipped him would ask for the money back...

 

     Sliding into the open door, Lisa felt an all familiar freeness that she had always felt with Marcus. She was worried of losing that specialty with the arrangements, thinking that he was in on it too. Looking now, she saw the same goofy smile that would be plastered on his face as a young boy as he led her on one of their random adventures. Hope set in; maybe if she could just talk to him, they could avoid a huge misunderstanding.

oOo

     With elbows on the table, Marcus and Lisa shared a heaping order of fries as each devoured their artery clogging hamburgers.

 

    "Oh. My. Gosh. This is even better than I last remembered." With a mouthful, Lisa rolled her eyes in delight.

 

      Marcus nodded in agreement as he loosened the tie around his neck. Lisa's sandwich was half the size of her head, and watching her trying to conquer it was nearly comical. He could tell by the ketchup and mustard stains on her mouth and dress that she had given up on her home training.

 

     Jabbing a fry in her direction, he chuckled," That's my girl. I've been wondering where you were Weedy."

 

      "You don't understand, with dance lately, I haven't been able to sneak in my cheat meals. This is just perfect right now."

 

    "I haven't seen you dance in a while. How is that going? You still wiping the floor with everyone?" He teased, picking up the large milkshake they were sharing; he took a long draw and then passed it on to Lisa's waiting hand.

 

     "Mm." Wiping her mouth with a napkin, she went on, "It's so much work Marcus."

 

      "But this is your dream. I can see it. You might say it's hard, but I know you love it." Lisa had always practiced dance moves around the neighborhood; it was what she was known for. In the church parking lot, walking down the street or on a basketball court you could see her improvising one of the greatest dance sequences of all time-of course in her own mind.

 

   "I just feel like this is going to be it for me." Lisa's face lit up as she gripped the paper napkin between her fists and scooted to the end of her seat. "If I tell you this, you'll be the only soul that knows..."

 

    "A secret? I gotta hear this."

 

    "My parents don't even have any idea about this, Marcus. This has to be between you and I. Promise?" Raising her pinky, she waited for him to confirm their ritual.

 

    Linking his with hers, he whispered, "Promise."

 

    "I'm going to audition for Alvin Ailey. In New York." She could barely contain her excitement as she let out a small squeal. She had decided on this many years ago, after the first time her mother took her to see one of their historic shows. She had been amazed and inspired.At that time, she had reached a point in her adolescence when her mind couldn't be made up on anything. She had wanted to be a dancer, a singer, a soccer player-her indecisiveness had driven her mother crazy.

 

    After that night, that one performance, everything was set in stone for her.

 

    "Lisa, do you think that's a smart idea."

 

    "It's the best idea I have ever had. Come on, Marcus. That's where I should be. That's what I have been aiming for!"

 

    "I don't think you should be jumping so fast." Marcus's earlier mood visibly disappeared, and Lisa's went with it as she saw the change.

 

   "Jumping too fast? What are you talking about?" She became defensive, tucking her arms beneath her breast as she watched him from across the table. His hand scratched the back of his neck before he went on.

 

    "You're 18 Lisa-"

 

    "I know how old I am."

 

   "-and that's too early to just drop everything to go off to New York on a hope and whim."

 

    A strong silence overtook the table. Lisa toyed with the napkin in her hand as she nodded her head.

 

    "Do you take me for a fool? This isn't just some silly dream or hope, Marcus. I am serious about this." Glaring at him with red rimmed eyes, she threw the napkin on the table and stood to leave.

 

    "Lisa-Lisa hold on a second." He kept his eyes on her back as she stormed away. Grabbing his wallet, he dug out twenty dollar bills and left them on the table as he rushed out behind her, making sure that he didn't lose sight of her.

 

    "Lisa!" He fought past crowds of the people of the night to keep up with her. She didn't turn around; instead she sped up her steps. When he saw her turn a corner, he broke off into a sprint. It was rather dark, and dressed the way she was, he didn't want to have to spill blood for someone disrespecting her.

 

    Rounding the corner, he looked to his left, and looked to his right. He heard the hoot and holler of men, and his eyes followed the sounds of their voices. There was Lisa, tugging down the hem of her dress as she crossed the street away from the loud group.

 

     Rolling past them, Marcus reached for her hand, but caught her wrist. This caused her to be jerked off balance violently, which he hadn't intended.

 

     "Let go of me! Let go now!" Her raised voice drew the attention of the others around them. Marcus could see their curious gazes, and their bodies tensed, ready to launch and save what seemed to be a damsel in distress. Pulling her to the side of a building, he calmly tried to quiet her down.

 

    "I can get home on my own. I'll tell my father I left you. Move, Marcus."

 

     "Lisa, will you let me finish what I was saying?"

 

    "What more is there to say? I know why you're doing this. You're with them, aren't you?" His brows drew together as he stood confused.

 

    "With who?"

 

    "My parents! You don't think I should go to New York so I can be here in all of your clutches. I can't believe this..." Scoffing, Lisa turned her head to the sky and closed her eyes. What had she expected? Marcus always played by the rules. He studied what his parents wanted him to. Worked the jobs they found for him. She had never known him to do what wasn't expected of him, but she also never thought he wouldn't be as happy as she was about her plan.

 

    "No one has you in their clutches-I don't have you in my clutches! Lisa, I'm not trying to deter you from your dream. I know how much you want to take your dancing to another level. Look at me." Pulling her face down by her chin, he grasped both sides of her face between his large hands.

 

    "I support you 110%. Okay?"

 

     Dropping his hands to his sides, he slipped them into his pants pockets and shrugged his shoulders.

 

     "If you don't go through with college, I can't say I'll be on your side with this." Once again, annoyance leaked out of Lisa's every move as she took this chance for an exit.

 

     This time, she walked at a pace that was easy to meet.

 

    "Throw away education if you want to Lisa."

 

     "Fuck you, Marcus."

 

     "You'll miss out on practicing, getting more experience and recognition."

 

      Crossing the street, Lisa went against the urge to turn and argue.

 

      "All because you think you can hop on a plane to New York, dance your ass off, and get praise and a position within their dance company. Right? That's you and a thousand other people Lisa."

 

     "And I am not one of those other people. What.You don't think I'm good enough." Whirling on the spot, Marcus almost collided with her.

 

   "I didn't say that."

 

    "You sure as hell sounded like you said that."

 

    "I'm trying to make you realize something Lisa. Everything doesn't go the way you want it to. The way it looks in your head. The way you plan. What happens if you get out there, all alone, and don't get that position? What if you're beat out by someone else? Then what will you do."

 

    "That won't happen. I've prepared for this my entire life. I have fought to the very bone, with my blood. With my sweat-my tears-for this."

 

   "Your body won't last forever. What if something happens to you? What if you have no back up plans-"

 

    "There are no back up plans. There is only one plan. Why would I have another when I know exactly what I will be doing?" Lisa was becoming testy as her eyes went wide with fury.

 

     Lowering his voice, Marcus took a step closer.

 

     "What if it all turns out to be a pipe dream? You can't run around following that."

 

 

  Lisa stilled before Marcus with biting word after word on the tip of her tongue.

 

    "What do you know about any of that. Following dreams. You've never had your own, have you? You're a grown man who still does what his parents tell him." Letting out a cynical laugh, Lisa shook her head, looking like the daughter of Charles and Tonya Dudley.

 

   "You're their little bitch, and you know it.You smile while the heels of their boots are pressing down on your neck. I'm not like that. I'm not like you, and I am not like any of them." Taking three steps closer to Marcus, she bored her eyes into his as they began shifting away. He clenched his jaw, placing his hands into his pockets.

 

    "If you want to go home, you better be in my car before I leave." The hoarse sound of his voice snapped Lisa out of her own world. Clearing his throat, he turned, shoulders slack, and made his way down the street and out of her vision.

 

   A slimy feeling settled in her stomach, making her feel nauseas.  She could feel the eyes of the few people standing around on her. Rubbing her arms, she walked quickly in the direction of the car, hoping that Marcus hadn't left yet. She picked up speed, lightly jogging in her heels.

 

     Lisa saw the headlights come on, and the sound of the engine running, through the windshield, she could see him pulling his seatbelt across his body roughly. His head was tilted as she approached, embarrassedly tucking her hair behind her ears.

 

His eyes remained forward as she climbed in, sitting down slowly and quietly in her seat. Before she even closed the passenger door, Marcus pulled off from the curb, sending her flying back into her seat. The hard jerk surprised her, and rendered her silent for the rest of the ride.

oOo

    With her head bent, Lisa waited in the car with Marcus as he adjusted his tie and jacket. They had arrived back to her house ten minutes ago, yet neither of them had made a move to leave the car or speak. Glancing over, she saw him fixing his cufflinks, and checking his face in the mirror.

 

    "Marcus..." A hand cut off her words as he held it in the air. He didn't want to hear anything she had to say. He wanted to be able to put a smile on his face, make it appear as if they had a decent night by the time he walked her to the door. Without acknowledging her, he climbed out of the car.

 

    Lisa sulked on the verge of tears thinking that he had left. Just as the first salty drop fell, her own door was pulled open. Looking up, she saw his hand reach out, an offering to her.

 

    "Come on." Taking it with her own shaky hand, she stood to her feet beside him. Deciding that walking ahead was the best option, she allowed her hand to slip from his grip. When all that was left was the feel of their fingertips, Marcus quickly grabbed her, and turned her around.

 

    Under his heavy stare, Lisa didn't dare make eye contact. She could feel the pads of his thumb glide across her cheeks, wiping away the residue of her crying.

 

    Lisa took this gesture as a sign that maybe she wouldn't evaporate on the spot if she looked at him.

 

   "Marcus. I didn't mean it-"

 

    "Let's go on up." A tight grin dismissed her words as he led her up the pathway with a hand on her shoulder. Lisa let out a heavy sigh as porch lights came on, and the front door was opened.

 

    There stood Tonya with a gleaming smile on her face. She had seen the tender touch Marcus gave her daughter, and had jumped for joy that Lisa was polite enough to receive such a touch. She had to admit, she was worried that the night would be ruined by Lisa's attitude, but from the looks of it everything turned out better than expected.

 

    Closing the door slightly, she called behind her to her husband." Charles, they're back."

 

    Lisa glanced back at Marcus as she took the stairs towards her mother.

 

   "Well, I see you've brought her back just in time Marcus. How was the restaurant? Did you get the chef's special?"

 

   With her hands clasped in front of her chin, Tonya was pulled back by her husband Charles.

 

   "Yes, was it everything you expected? I had put in a call for nothing but the best service. I am personal friends with the owner; I would only hope he would provide you with a quality experience."  Charles's eyes narrowed, focusing on Marcus who didn't cower under his gaze.

 

    "It was wonderful Daddy. We-"

 

     "To be honest sir, we decided to spend the evening somewhere else. Though I do thank you for your suggestion. It was an impressive restaurant."

 

    "Did you, now?"

 

     "I bugged him all night to leave. I just-"

 

    "We both couldn't get Fatties off of our minds. It was great, wasn't it Lisa?"

 

   "I-Yes, it was perfect." Lisa had given up trying to shoulder the blame as she saw Marcus wasn't going to let her. Plastering on a smile, she tried to seem as pleased as she could to convince both of her parents.

 

    "Fatties? That's no place for a date." Smacking her teeth, Tonya went on." Oh , well. I guess if you did have a good time..."  Her eyes remained on Lisa, ready to question what she had done as soon as she got the chance to.

 

    "If you will excuse me, I have an important event in the morning. Lisa, I enjoyed myself." Reaching in front of Tonya, Marcus gathered Lisa in a tight hug."Figure out something for us to do next time I see you." He said into her hair. As he released her, he missed the raised eyebrow of Tonya.

 

   Lisa?

 

    Marcus never referred to her by her first name. Weedy. It had always been Weedy.Hearing him drop the childish nickname, Tonya smirked .Maybe her daughter had done just the right thing tonight...

 

   "Of course Marcus, it's understood. Thank you for looking after Lisa tonight. " Touching him by the elbow, Tonya gave him a hug too. Out the corner of her eye, she could see her husband walk off with a drink in his hand, and her daughter climb the stairs to her bedroom.

 

   "Lisa, aren't you going to say good night?-" The click of her door separated Lisa from the sound of her mother's voice.

 

 

     "That girl, I swear."

 

    "It's okay Mrs. Dudley. I'll be going now."

 

     "Well here, let me walk you out."

 

   Lisa watched from the crack in her door as her mother followed behind Marcus. Running over to her window, she pulled back the curtain to watch him wave goodbye to Tonya, and then drive off.

 

    Dropping her head, she cursed.

 

   "I talk too damn much." Kicking off her shoes, Lisa collapsed onto her bed, grunting in the process.

 

    "Long night darling?" With a gasp, Lisa bent her head back at the sound of her mother's voice. She watched the older woman close the door and approach the bed with a devilish grin.

 

   "Do not spare me any details." She giggled quietly.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.