Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Got a shorty for you.

 

To the readers who have commented, thank you!

 

I'd like to think that the "happy ending" I have for these two is a little different from what you would expect, but we'll have to wait and find out, now won't we?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

   Jae Hwa sat beside Lisa at a long dining table in the basement of the church. The spread was elaborate, and reminded him of the food his own family would make on special occasions. There was the same laughter and talking going on, just in a different language.

 

      Looking to the seat next to him, he saw that it was empty. It's owner was still greeting the church members she had missed during the service.

 

      " Hi Mrs. Walters." Lisa hugged a plump woman in a bright lavender dress. All of the decorative hats that the ladies wore made a sea of heads which hid Lisa as she moved from one person to the next.

 

    " You were beautiful up there baby, I had tears in my eyes seeing you."

 

   " Thank you." Lisa's smile was nice and warm. Extending her arm behind her, she introduced Jae Hwa to Mrs. Walters.

        " This is James. He's a friend from school."

 

        The older woman looked him over. She had dark ringlets that fell to the tops of her shoulders, and a youthful face that held just a few creases along her eyes and mouth indicating her age. He wouldn't have put her past forty years old, so she was one of the younger ladies of the church.

 

     Mrs. Walters saw that the young man before her was nothing but a shy child. She found him to be sweet, and the approving smile on her face made Jae Hwa feel at ease.

 

    Holding out his hand, Jae Hwa reintroduced himself. Mrs Walters had always felt that handshakes were impersonal. Embracing him in a hug, she showed him her loving nature that was open even for strangers.

 

    " I saw you during the service. I was wondering where you had come from, but I figured you must have been one of Lisa's little friends. She's always got someone around."

 

      Always? Jae Hwa smiled as Mrs. Walters continued talking, but he wasn't focused on anything she was saying, but what she had said.

 

     Jae Hwa wasn't surprised to hear that Lisa was a friendly and inviting person. He knew that she had friends all over the place, it was evident in the way there was always someone to say hello to as they walked around campus. Suddenly, he realized that somewhere deep down, he had hoped that being invited to church with Lisa was special, but now hearing that he wasn't the first put a damper on his mood.

 

    His mind instantly went to other guys. That was what he hoped wasn't true.

 

   Were they better than him? Surely they were easier to hang around. They probably didn't duck their head every time she smiled at them....

 

    " This is the first time I've brought someone to the praise dances Mrs. Walters."

 

     " Well, I guess that's true. Sweetie you're welcomed here anytime, we've got more than enough food to feed hungry mouths. I'm about to get to my seat because I see the pastor eyeing the greens." Mrs. Walters opened her eyes comically as she grazed Lisa's cheek with a kiss, and gave Jae Hwa one last hug.

 

     " It was wonderful meeting you."

 

     " It was nice meeting you too."

 

      "Hurry, hurry. I'm starving right now."

 

    " I'm already full just from looking at everything." Jae Hwa rubbed his stomach as he sat down, and watched as Lisa began placing various items on their plates.

 

     Lisa laughed as she saw him eyeing everything." I'm going to start you off slow because sometimes your eyes can be bigger than your stomach. Wouldn't want you to catch the it is on your first time, though it can be quite relaxing."

 

   "It is?"

 

    " Yeah it's when you eat too much, and then get really, really, really sleepy afterwards."

 

    " I'll have you know I was a champion eater back home."

 

    Cutting her eyes at him, Lisa shook her head." Oh, really? We'll see then."

 

     Picking up her fork, she looked to Jae Hwa to do the same.

 

    " Are you challenging me? I don't think that's smart..."

 

    " Well I mean, you say you're a champ. Put your money where your mouth is."

 

    " I don't have any money..." Jae Hwa responded genuinely confused.

 

    Laughing, Lisa began eating. She couldn't control her giggles, and ultimately Jae Hwa seemed to have caught a case of them. Watching as he raised a forkful of macaroni and cheese to his mouth, Lisa waited for his reaction. His face scrunched at first, and she was worried that he didn't like it. That was until he released a groan and rolled his head back in delight.

 

    "This is delicious."

 

     " Is it okay?" Lisa asked still wondering what he thought. He had said something she didn't understand, but saw him going in for another bite.

 

    " This is really good." He said with a thumbs up.

 

    "Told you!" She said excitedly. Knowing that he was enjoying himself, she could enjoy her own meal too.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

       Jae Hwa sat back in his chair filled to the brim with food. The ladies of the church had begun clearing away the dishes, and he had offered to help.

 

    " Oh no, you're a guest. " They said sweetly.

 

     Jae Hwa was happy that they had begun making him feel comfortable amongst them. He had been introduced to them, though he could remember only a few names.

 

    A hand pulled on his arm as he was led away from the table.

 

   "I see the it is is kicking in." Teased Lisa." Here, I want you to meet my grandpa."

 

    The man he had seen before had looked like he was falling apart at the seams as he preached, but now, cleaned up and relaxed, he didn't seem as intimidating as before.

 

    " Grandpa, I would like for you to meet someone." Lisa politely caught his attention as he finished up a conversation. The older man had a peppered beard that was neatly cropped just like his hair. His glasses were nicely placed on the brim of his nose.

 

    " Hello, I'm James." This time, when he reached  out a hand, he received a strong handshake back. The grip was tight, but he returned it with just as much vigor. Out of habit he bowed to the elder. He guessed it didn't matter where he went, he still held on to who he was.

 

   " Hello young man. I felt the presence of someone new today. I'm glad you were here with us this morning."

 

      " Everything was wonderful." He complimented.

 

    " Thank you, thank you. So, tell me. How did you come to know my granddaughter."The smile that was once there vanished as he stared Jae Hwa down.

 

     " Uh..We. We have a class together sir." Just like that the tense look disappeared as her grandfather smiled once again, and let out a hearty laugh.

 

    " That better be the only place you're meeting boys Lisa." He warned her. " Church or school. Those are your only options."

 

     " Daddy has a few lined up for me from his job already grandpa. " Pouting, Lisa put on a sad face. " It's really...irritating."

 

    " That son of mine. " He said shaking his head." I see that once again he wasn't in service today. Where is he? And your mother?"

 

     "He had a business brunch that he couldn't miss." Lisa wasn't all too convinced with that, just like her grandfather.

 

    " Well..."

 

     Jae Hwa had noticed that he had met many people today, yet hadn't remembered being introduced to anyone named mom or dad. From what he had gathered, it sounded like he wouldn't for a while.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.