Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 18

"Oh, I am so sorry!"

Fitz had never hated the syrupy, saccharine-false sweetness in Mellie's voice more than he did right now. The bond between he and Jocelyn Davis-Martin was one of the smaller defining moments of his presidency - but it didn't make it any less important to him - and Mellie's intrusion threatened to ruin it for him.

It had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman and he was a man. Instead, it had everything to do with public service. Jocelyn Martin was as prepared as he was to work towards a greater good.

Some saw government service as a path to power; most did and that was a given once he'd reached the federal levels of power. But for Fitz it had been more about seeing politics as a path to service. To meet a kindred-spirit was rarer than most people would think and he'd wanted nothing more in the moment to savor it.

It didn't mean he would ever get the chance to do so.

Fitz felt the diplomat's hand fall away, even as his gaze turned to his wife. She smiled at the both of them, but he knew her well enough to see that her smile was false. It was in her eyes, which were cool, calculating and none too pleased with the scenario in front of her.

"I hope you two don't mind my interruption." That may be what she was saying, but her tone made it clear that this what not what she meant.

She wasn't the First Lady in this moment at all in this time; she was more of a woman staking her claim. Fitz felt all of it. But for him, the truth was not as simple as that.

"Of course not, Mrs. Grant." Jocelyn turned to shake her hand. "May I say what a pleasant surprise it is to see you?"

Mellie took the offered handshake. like a queen accepting homage. "I could say the same - that it's a surprise to see you here this evening."

"The president was just asking for my opinion on certain current events." Jocelyn explained.

"Oh?" There was a wealth of questions in Mellie's voice.

It made Fitz tense up; by now, Mellie should know better than to pry into the affairs of state.

Not that Fitz ever expected that to stop her.

In her mind, she was a frustrated political animal and now standing here before her was Jocelyn Davis-Martin - who was a legitimate member of his administration; one who was highly respected in the D.C. political community and the cherry on top was that she'd achieved her position all on her own. She'd married her current husband only after she'd established her own diplomatic career. Of course Mellie was envious of that.

Fitz knew that Mellie wanted more of an explanation than that, but it wasn't going to happen. They'd had so many arguments on the matter that he was beyond tired of it - but yet she kept trying to intrude where she was neither needed, wanted - or had a right to be.

Had that been the price of her betrayal? Fitz thought so; she'd been promised a place at the table, of access to power.

The problem was - he'd never promised her that.

"Yes, she, Cyrus and I were going over certain possibilities, but we were wanting to keep our discussions private."

"Private." Mellie said thoughtfully. "And where's Cyrus now?"

"Doing something that needed doing." Fitz said. He could feel the anger taking ahold of him. He glared at her, but she only smiled in return.

He didn't trust this smile any more than he had the first one. Fitz knew how much she hated the secrets that originated from the Oval Office. At the same time, she refused to realize that her previous actions kept her from being involved on any sort of level.

But while these thoughts were going through Fitz's mind, Mellie was still talking to Jocelyn Martin.

"Well, that gives me a few minutes to say hello, then. I haven't seen you in - well, I don't know how long it's been?" Mellie was saying to the other woman.

Jocelyn remained gracious, even though Mellie's sickly-sweet tone was clearly being put on for her own benefit.

"It's been quite awhile." Jocelyn admitted. "Then again, my current position in the administration isn't one that brings me into the limelight much - and that suits me just fine."

"I don't know if I could give up power as easily as you seemed to have done." Mellie said. "It's such a good old boy network around here."

"I've never really been about power - at least not by others' definition. Whatever influence I might have earned in certain areas always meant to me that I could play a small part in advancing America's influence on the world stage - however what small of a part that I might play."

Fitz found himself disagreeing with Jocelyn Davis' words - at least the part about what a small part she'd played in the White House. Her part had never been a small one -her duties had been purposely kept under the public radar, but she'd been a vital part of two administrations, and he was not about to let that go unremarked.

"Don't underestimate yourself, Jocelyn. Your years of service have been vital to American interests and I can't express how grateful I am that you've offered your services once again to the country."

He felt the antagonism rising up from Mellie and found himself not caring. Jocelyn, in contrast was surprised and pleased by his words. Then again, Mellie usually was not pleased with any of his decisions - mainly because she had no direct input into them.

He couldn't say that seeing her almost transparent frustration didn't give him a small amount of pleasure. He hadn't forgotten that she'd played a part in the betrayers that surrounded him. The only reason he hadn't confronted her yet was because one - her guilt kept her nicely reined in and two - he was saving that card to play when he decided it would work best for him.

"Thank you, Mr. President." Jocelyn told him. The warmth in her smile was met with one of his own.

Not to be out done, Mellie - as usual - added her own two cents.

"Well - if my husband holds you in such high esteem, what else can I say?" Mellie asked. "Maybe we can do something about that."

"Like what?"Fitz asked, instantly suspicious.

"There's no need..." Jocelyn said at the same time.

Mellie cut them both off with a wave of her hand. "Why ever not? It sounds like Jocelyn deserve to be recognized. Maybe a little ceremony in the Rose Garden, or on the White House steps... I could even host a luncheon right here - we can make it a celebration of womens' power."

Her eyes began to gleam with anticipation.

"This would not be the right time for something like this." Fitz said. He could see how uncomfortable this turn in conversation was making Jocelyn and again they were in agreement. The last thing any of them wanted was to turn a spotlight on Jocelyn at this time. And at the same time, Fitz had no intentions of explaining why to his wife.

Her eyes narrowed in thought; he knew that look all too well. She was calculating the potential to her in such a situation. Fitz tensed, knowing that he could never fathom what scheme his wife might come up with next.

Mellie paused as if she was coming to some new decisions.

"There's a reception coming up for some of the middle eastern embassies." she said. "Didn't you work closely with some of them?"

Fitz felt Jocelyn's eyes dart to his for a moment before she answered.

"Some of my duties called for establishing diplomatic ties with elements of several of their governments ." Jocelyn conceded carefully. "But not all."

"But enough." Mellie said insistently. "I want you to be there - you deserve it. And it would probably appear as an insult if you didn't make an appearance."

She turned her eyes to Fitz's; he saw the triumph in them. Unfortunately, she might have a point.

"I don't see how you couldn't agree that Mrs. Martin's service has proved invaluable to our administration." Mellie said. "My goodness, she worked in the administration prior to yours and you kept her on when she had submitted her resignation."

To Fitz, it was clear that Jocelyn didn't know quite how to answer. Grudgingly he had to admit his wife was right, even if she didn't know the reason why. Her absence might not only be noted but questioned. And that might make what she had to do harder.

"It isn't necessary..." Jocelyn tried to protest.

"Maybe not - but it's an honor that's long overdue for you."

It was clear that Mellie was determined to have her way in this. Fitz knew that Mellie couldn't possibly know the precise role that Jocelyn had just agreed to play in the current situation, but she should have had enough political acumen to know when to leave things alone.

Then again - it wouldn't be the first time that his wife had tried to wield her own influence in an attempt to create her own power base.

It was a thin line that they had all chosen to walk. In the moment - for him, Cyrus and Jocelyn - all that mattered was the survival of both the aide workers along with the CIA operative' survival.

Mellie's actions were only complicating things. Not that this was anything new - or that she cared. Fitz listened to her with increasing frustration as his wife forged ahead.

"If you won't allow yourself to be publicly acknowledged - at the very least you must come to the next state dinner. Just your presence will be enough."

Jocelyn tried to evade. "I would have to check my schedule."

Mellie moved closer to Fitz and laid a hand on his arm; it was all he could do not to jerk away while her false laughter grated on his nerves. "Well then I have to insist even more. All work and all that."

In the end, Mellie did manage to drag a promise from Jocelyn to at least think it over seriously.

"Wonderful!" Mellie said at last. "Think about it - that's enough for now. But I'm warning you, I'll be doing my best to convince you to come, right up until the very last minute. And I still think a ladies luncheon could be beneficial to women's causes."

Jocelyn Martin didn't look too happy about it, but she did her best to hide it. "As I said, I'll have to check my schedule, Mrs. Grant - so you do understand that I can't promise anything..."

"Let's just wait and see." she said. Having won even a minor concession seemed to enough for now. Mellie moved on to her true agenda. "But there is something you can do for me right now - could you give me five minutes alone with my husband?"

Jocelyn's reaction was a startled glance at the president. Fitz tensed up. "Really, Mellie? We're in the middle of a policy meeting."

"It will only be a few minutes." Mellie didn't even look at him, but kept her eyes on the other woman.

Under the First Lady's gaze, Fitz saw that Jocelyn felt that she was left with no choice in the matter. "Of course, Mrs. Grant."

Fitz gritted his teeth. "Don't go far, Mrs. Martin - we still have some material to discuss."

"Yes, sir." she said and left the room.

As soon as the door closed behind her, Fitz turned to face his wife. "Since when do you barge in and interrupt me when I'm working?"

Mellie's lips curved into an unamused sneer. "Is working what we're calling it now?"

"What are you talking about?" Fitz said, his voice rough with aggravation. Before she could answer, comprehension lit up his face. She thought that he and Jocelyn Martin were... His face twisted in disbelief. "You've got to be kidding me! Are you insane?"

Mellie stepped closer. "You've got to be kidding me if you think that I can't see what I see. I'm just protecting what's mine since it looks like maybe you've developed a taste for chocolate."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.