Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

James smiled and glanced down at his watch. “And if we’re going to eat on time, I’ve got to go and call that delivery service. They’re late - we’re having fresh crab cakes and lobster salad delivered from Maryland...”

 

“My favorite!” Olivia lit up.

 

“I know,” James said smugly. “Cyrus told me. And creme puffs for desert. He told me about those as well.”

 

Olivia smiled. It felt so good to be around friends who knew her so well. A comfort, really.

 

“You’ll watch Ella?”

 

“You have to ask?” Olivia said with a grin. She held Ella up so that they were nose to nose. Ella giggled and planted a kiss on Olivia. They both giggled. “The two of us will have a little one on one girl time But before that...”

 

She asked James if he could bring her a brush and a comb for Ella. When he returned with them, Olivia loosed Ella’s hair from her small ponytails. Before brushing it out, she took out some of the pastel-toned cowry shell hair accessories she’d bought and sat them in front of Ella. She happily began to play with them as Olivia went to work on her hair.

 

James smiled as he watched them, then returned to their conversation. “About the one on one girl thing - Cyrus and I are counting on that, you know. Not that I’m asking you to be her mother, but she does need someone in her life like you. A proud, strong - and yes, I’ll be very un-PC for a moment - Black woman.”

 

He smiled. “If for no other reason the style and the - flava - you are going to bring into her life.”

 

“Flava?” Olivia laughed at hearing the word coming from the journalist. “Even though I have somewhat expensive tastes?”

 

"What girl doesn't?” James grinned back at her. “I don't know anyone else who has such impeccable tastes. Cyrus was all about the first reason - he adores you, you know - at least when he doesn’t. ” 

 

Knowing how true that was, they both laughed. Depending on the issue of the day, Cyrus’ and Olivia’s relationship veered from mentor and student, to partners in crime, to friends or frenemies to opponents and back again.

 

James continued. “You were his first choice for god-mother once we knew Ella was going to be ours. I agreed,  but you got my vote for the second reason as well. And neither one of us could think of a better role model for our daughter to grow up with.” 

 

Olivia was moved by James’ declaration and said so. 

 

“This isn’t something you haven’t heard from me before.”  he said. “The reason I’m bringing it up is to remind you of how fabulous you are.” He paused. “You look like you need reminding.”

 

James held up a hand before she could deny anything. “I’m not going to pry, but anyone who knows you a little bit, can see it. Cyrus does, and well, even I can. Come Monday you can put your suit of armor on and do battle with the world. Today - well, just enjoy today.

 

“And now, I’m going to climb down from my soapbox and see to the making sure you get a few of your favorite things.”

 

After James had retreated back into the house, Olivia’s smile dimmed just a little even as she played with Ella. James was right so and she decided that she would do her best to do exactly what he said - enjoy the day. 

 

To distract herself from other thoughts, she let herself get lost in enjoying playing in Ella’s hair as she began to braid it into narrow rows and watching her play happily. 

 

Ella was babbling to herself she played, eyes full of a simple joy at the colors and love all around her.  Olivia had never really given thought to having children of her before - her life was too and too complicate to even consider it at this point in her life. 

 

But now, seeing Ella’s pure and simple happiness, she had to smile at the idea. Maybe having a child made you remember how sometimes it was the littlest things that could make someone happy. 

 

Olivia sighed and wished she still had the ability to do the same.

 

//**//

 

Fitz sat back and took a deep breath of the mid-morning air, enjoying the scent of morning, of coming spring, of life itself. 

 

Sometimes it was the littlest things that could make one happy, he thought to himself.  

 

In the complex world he lived in, Fitz had learned to snatch every chance he could to do exactly that. His companion smiled at him as though they could read his thoughts. It could be true. It wasn’t that he hadn’t known Jocelyn before, but the situation regarding the hostages had thrown them into close contact that they’d had before and Fitz was learning that she could turn out to be a loyal ally - and even better - a true friend. 

 

He wondered idly, when was the last time he’d had that - and Fitz couldn’t remember. 

 

They were seated in one of the private Residence gardens, a coffee service seated between them. There were also a scattering of files on the table, budget files for embassy duties, the ruse for anyone that happened to stumble across them unexpectedly. These were issues that had to be handled, but were not a top priority. It gave credence to a Sunday meeting. 

 

He and Jocelyn Davis had been working for more than thirty minutes on them. It was their intention to establish a routine that no one would question.

 

“It’s a beautiful morning.” Jocelyn Martin said, as she looked about her appreciatively.

 

Fitz agreed. There was an illusion of airiness and privacy here, with a copse of dogwood preparing themselves for bloom and cool slate-grey flagstones lined with moss underfoot. 

 

One could pretend they were alone, even though they both knew that the secret service were hovering somewhere close yet out of direct sight.

 

Fitz and Jocelyn finished their cups of coffee before he rose to his feet and gestured to a nearby path. Jocelyn nodded and standing, fell into step with him as they walked among the trees. 

 

“Have I apologized for monopolizing your Sunday morning?” Fitz said.

 

“Numerous times, sir.” Jocelyn replied. “And I’ve told you each time that it’s totally unnecessary.”

 

Fitz smiled again. It had been a unique feeling, to share this little bit of time with her. Not in the fact that she was indeed, a good-looking woman - but more about the fact that he didn’t feel the need to be as on constant guard as he had been for the last several months. 

 

It was a relief to finally be able to not to watch every word that left his lips.  A relief not to have to spend his days looking at the people of his every day life, judging them, watching them, seeing betrayal and deliberate calculation with their every movement, their every word. 

 

Cyrus, who shared his days, and Mellie, who laid claim to his nights - and there was Hollis, who was ever-lurking nearby, just out of sight but rarely out of mind.

 

And then there was Olivia - no - he thrust the thought of her out of his mind. He would not think of her at all...

 

The woman walking next to him had proven herself to be a loyal member of his administration. She’d shown that by volunteering her services despite the risks. 

 

Even now, as they seemingly wandered the gardens, Fitz could tell that she wondered why he was acting the way that he was - but she was trusting enough that she didn’t question him.

 

And he didn’t have to wonder as to the reason why she didn’t.

 

She trusted in the president and his decisions. Fitz hadn’t been on the receiving end of that for too long of a time. The feeling was a good one. Despite the problems set before them, Fitz had actually felt some of the tension that lived in his neck and shoulders on a daily basis ease away.

 

Much earlier that morning, she had called in on a secure line and Fitz had arranged the ruse of budgetary concerns as the excuse for her presence today. Being that it was Sunday, he didn’t expect anyone else to be working, not even Cyrus.  

 

If there was something Fitz thought Cyrus needed to know immediately, he’d call him then. He would see him later in the afternoon anyway, when he’d scheduled a visit with his god-daughter. 

 

“This is lovely.” Jocelyn spoke, interrupting his thoughts. 

 

They had come to a small space, surrounded by lavender bushes and wisteria. In the center of it was a small gazebo, created in an ancient Grecian style, with fluted columns and glazed glassed-in walls. Several ivy vines curled all about it, while a tiny stream threaded its way around the base of it.

 

“Absolutely lovely.” Jocelyn repeated. “I had no idea this even existed.”

 

Fitz smiled. “No one does, not really. It’s not part of the tour; it’s actually just on the border between the Residence grounds and the rest of the White House. Jackie Kennedy had it built; it was one of her escapes.”

 

He turned to her. “I only wanted to make sure that our conversation are private.”

 

Fitz watched as she looked at him carefully. Her keen mind grasped his intentions a breath later and a troubled expression filled her eyes. 

 

“It’s none of my business, but I think I understand.” she said. She had noted the absence of the Chief of Staff and swiftly drew her own conclusions. 

 

“Thank you.” He told her, meaning it. “We have to tread lightly here. A word slipping out, heard and taken in the wrong context, whether accidently or deliberately, could have repercussions far beyond the fate of these particular Americans - as important that they might be.”

 

“I understand, sir. I would never...”

 

Fitz cut her off with an upraised hand. “No - not you. I have a great deal of trust in you. But along with everything else, politics and insider games are unfortunately in play here.”

 

Her eyes cleared. “I understand, Mr. President. In a republican administration, there is always talk of non-negotiation - on any level.”

 

Fitz nodded. “American’s strength in unparalled in the world - but no one needs another war right now - and I’ll do anything in my power to prevent it. 

 

“I knew that you would understand that. So you can see that I can’t - I refuse to - take any chances. What the two of us discuss is between you and I. I’ll keep Cyrus up to date if the three of us aren’t sitting in the same room, because for now, this stays between the three of us. What we’re doing at this point is only conjecture and plotting, not setting policy or any final decision. When it’s time to bring others in,  like the Joint Chiefs  and my other military advisors, then we will.”

 

  Fitz sighed. “I’m hoping it won’t come to that.”

 

“As you wish, sir - and I’m hoping for the same.” she said. “I do have something of  an update -shall we get on with it?”

 

When he nodded, she began. “Unfortunately, many of my former contacts have either gone to ground or disappeared. Not unusual, considering the on-going hostilities in the region.

 

“I have, however managed to make an initial contact, with friends of a friend.” 

 

She went on to explain further, telling Fitz that even though time was of the essence, these things would take some time that couldn’t be helped. Her contacts were through the House of Farouk. They were a highly regarded branch of the former royal family.

 

“They’ve claimed allegiance to the current regime, but it’s whispered that they have tentacles spread out among several concerns.” she told Fitz. “Those contacts are wide and varied; among them are the military, the religious oligarchy who want their own place at the table, as well as the minority rebel factions.”

 

“Keeping their options wide open, no matter which way the winds blow.” Fitz said, thinking aloud.

 

“Exactly. For all of their professed loyalty to the current regime, their true allegiance is to maintaining power, influence and wealth of the House of Farouk.”

 

Nothing new there, Fitz thought to himself. “Then they might see this as extending a hand to the U.S.?” He asked and answered his own question. “Of course, they might also have their own agenda, using us to promote an entirely separate plot.”

 

“It’s a possibility, sir.” Jocelyn agreed with him. “And it might be impolitic to do it openly, so they  might be agreeable to lend their support and their own connection behind the scenes.  And yes, they might have their own agenda that we’re not privy too.”

 

“That’s why I wanted to speak with you before moving forward. I could continue to put out feelers and see if I can find out anything else about them, or even look for other means, but I don’t know how that might pan out.It might tip our hand that we’re seeking backdoor negotiations.”

 

“And that might be best to leave that for those who are trained in fieldwork, Jocelyn.” 

 

“If you think that’s best, I won’t argue with you.” she told him. “But remember, Cyrus’ reports stated that the operatives that were captured were the best the CIA had in the region. That means that anyone else on the ground in the here and now are unlikely to have the contacts that I have or the information I can possibly - probably - uncover.”

 

Fitz thought that over and had to admit that it was true. It didn’t mean that he liked it. His estimation for Jocelyn Davis went up another notch. 

 

“We’ll see.” he told her. “It’s not that I don’t have faith in your own abilities, but - well, this could get more than a little dangerous.”

 

“It’s more dangerous than what our people are going through.” Jocelyn said. 

 

Fitz frowned suddenly and Jocelyn fell silent when she saw his face.

 

Something clicked into place. The House of Farouk. Mellie, Hollis and his guest. Adaran Farouk. 

 

“Sir?” Jocelyn could see the wheels in his mind working.

 

Fitz smiled at her. “Looks like my wife might have had a good idea.” For once. his mind whispered. 

 

“Sir?” she repeated, puzzled.

 

“I just remembered something about the House of Farouk.” Fitz said, and smiled slightly. If it was a little twisted due to its source, that was okay. “You might want to spend the rest of the day shopping for a new gown. Your formal invitation to the next state dinner will be in the mail in the morning. I’ll be thanking the First Lady for the idea the next time I speak with her.”

 

Fitz smiled again, imagining the look on Mellie’s face when he did.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.