Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 38

 

“You’ve been in a strange mood all evening.”Olivia prodded Jake. “Should I be disappointed or is just a side of you I’m seeing for the first time?” Her tone was part-playful, but eyes were thoughtful and observant.

 

Jake brought himself back from his thoughts. “Sorry.” he told her. “I admit it - my mind was somewhere else.”

 

Olivia’s expression made it clear that that was not going to be enough of an explanation.

 

Jake paused. “I was just with a friend the other day that needed a friendly ear to listen. He’s not the type to do something like that and it surprised me. There were things he had to say that needed to have a friend there to hear.”

 

It was finally the night of their long awaited Friday evening non-date and they were a part of a wine-tasting tour group of the wine-shop where they had met.

 

Olivia and Jake were standing among the edges of  the group, so they could chat quietly and not disturb the others while the sommelier presented his mini-lectures. Olivia had pointed out the information that was relevant to a new-comer like himself and added her own opinion when she thought it necessary.

 

She really was quite knowledgable about her wines. Jake had been even more impressed than he was the first night they’d met.

 

And obviously, so was she. Olivia was smiling at him. “Well, instead of disappointment, color me maybe just a little impressed. You were there for a friend.”

 

Jake forced a smile. “One of my many talents. I did tell you we’d be good friends. This sense of empathy too can be yours - as part of the Jake Ballard Experience.”

 

“That you did, Jake Ballard.” she said. “I might even have to admit that you might have been right.”

 

“Progress.” Jake said with satisfaction and a smile.

 

He couldn’t help it - it was a part of his training - but the more he was finding out about her,  the more he was finding Olivia Pope more than interesting. She was giving away far more than she realized.

 

But he was trained to see what others couldn’t.

 

A lot of it was in her eyes. Bold, confident - beautiful. But there was a shadow behind them. Olivia Pope was a woman who carried a lot of secrets in that gorgeous head of hers - and some of them were personal.

 

And she was smart. Brilliant, quick on her feet. For every probe and question he threw her way - and he was careful to cloak them in carefully crafted words - she lobbied them right back at him. She played the game as well as he, giving as good as she got. The both of them were enjoying the verbal sparring, not exactly keeping score, but relishing every point scored and every hit returned with style.

 

It was exhilarating.

 

He couldn’t wait until the next time.

 

//**//

 

It was a relief not to have to think about anything other than being in the moment, Olivia was thinking.  She accepted the tiny crystal goblet from the last tray going around the room.

 

The sommelier was speaking as appreciative murmurs went around the room.

 

“This is the vintage that we had been waiting for and the reason for our postponement. As I can tell - and you can taste - it was well worth the wait.

 

Olivia sipped at the drink. It was amazingly good. Notes of a rich port swirled on her tongue and the tastes of a rich dark chocolate was satisfying without being overly sweet.

 

She glanced at Jake - he seemed to be enjoying it too. He was trying to taste the wine in the way the sommelier had instructed. Then he caught her watching him and downed the rest of it.

 

He licked his lips and laughed.

 

“I promise to practice that technique. But that was just too delicious to let it just sit on my tongue.” he said.

 

Olivia refused to rise to his bait. “It takes time and I promise not to hold it against you.”

 

He simply cocked his head at her, letting his obvious silence state the obvious remark he wanted to make. He’d much rather hold something other than his beginner’s expertise against him.

 

“You are - shameless.” Olivia said.

 

“Observant.” he corrected her. “And patient.”

 

“Oh, how so?”

 

“This is not a date - this is a non-date - this is two acquaintances meeting after work to indulge in a purely social setting. I do not make my more carnal wishes known on anything less than a true date. It lends a certain sense of mystery to the non-date.”

 

Olivia shook her head. She couldn’t say that he was wrong. He was handsome, he was charming, he made her laugh. The only issue was that he just wasn’t Fitz.

 

The group was breaking up around them and they spent the next few minutes chatting with the other people.

 

Olivia used the time to study him.  He as smart - but that was a given, considering his job. He’d thrown several questions her way, trying to learn more about her than someone might do on a first-time casual not-a-date date but she supposed that was force of habit. He worked in intel, what else could she expect?

 

But this wasn’t her first time at the rodeo, either. Whatever he tossed her way, no matter how innocently he might phrase it, she had a smooth counter for it and tossed it right back across the net. She knew how to throw a subtle question wrapped in confetti too.

 

So he caught her questions, she caught his and they both had an enjoyable time knocking them aside.

 

They’d learned that much about each other, at least.

 

In the end, they were on line with their purchases. Jake had insisted on four bottles of the chocolate wine, insisting that she take home two of them.

 

“And what are you going to do with yours?” she asked.

 

“Probably finish one off sometime this weekend - but the other one, I’m going to save.”

 

“Save for what?” Olivia asked even though she could read the answer in his eyes.

 

Another cryptic answer. “I haven’t quite decided yet.  I figure I’ll know in the moment when the time comes.”

 

“Hm. I didn’t take you for the spontaneous type - what with you being a naval officer and such.” Olivia said with a small grin.

 

“Never estimate a naval officer, ma’am.” Jake said. “We’re full of unexpected surprises - part of the training.”  He gave her a grin as he turned to the cashier to ring up his purchases.

 

Wasn’t that a truth? Olivia asked and answered herself. She knew the answer all too well.

 

Luckily for her, before her mind could wander too far down that path, Jake was done with his transactions and was handing her a handled bag with her portion of the wines.

 

They moved out of the way of the other customers.

 

“Well.” Jake said. “I guess this is the point where I walk you to your car.”

 

Olivia nodded. “That would be the next step.” she could tell from the look in his eyes that he would rather that this was not the end of the evening, but resigned to the fact. He wouldn’t push it.

 

She was grateful. Mainly because she almost felt the same.

 

They walked outside into the cool night. The The street lights glowed like stars, turning night into a something other. They didn’t bother talking, each of them content to relax in the company of the other.

 

It was a comfortable silence, one that lasted until they reached her car.

 

He waited until she had deposited the bottles into her car.

 

“I’m patient.” he told her.

 

“That’s always a useful trait.” she answered carefully.

 

He noted her care and grinned. “And determined.”

 

“I think I’ve noticed that.”

 

“So, if I call you for the purposes of establishing a genuine date - you wouldn’t be adverse to the idea.”

 

“I’m patient.” she told him. “We’ll see.”

 

“I’ll take that as ‘not a no’ and retreat with my flag still held high.”

 

The both of them laughed together and it was a thing of delight in the moment.

 

“Good night, Jake. I did have a very enjoyable evening.”

 

“Good night, Olivia. I can very definitely say the same.”

 

She drove off into the night with a smile on her face that lasted long after she arrived home.

 

Maybe a little bit of normal was just what she had needed.

 

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.