Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 52

 

What else was she supposed to do? The thought echoed in Mellie’s mind, erasing every other concern she might have had. Away from Fitz, she’d still kept an eye on him and his companions for the night. He danced quite a few times with several women, including that Jocelyn Martin. There was nothing solid to hang any suspicions on, but that didn’t make them go away.

 

That was a mistake, as she was to quickly learn.

 

“Darlin’, I’m about to feel purely neglected, and that’s not good feeling to have on a night like this.”

 

Mellie pulled her thoughts back from what was purely her concerns, and set her mind on the bigger picture.

 

“A night like what? ” she asked.  “You can't be that dissatisfied. You’re definitely getting your money’s worth just by being here.”

 

“I won’t say that you are wrong, darlin’” Hollis told her. “But I’m not exactly blind. I see that you are someone that’s being left- unfulfilled.”

 

“That’s none of your business, Hollis.” She didn’t care for his unsubtle insinuation and innuendo and it made Mellie’s tone sharp. Her eyes took on a definitely warning chill.

 

Hollis nodded vigorously. “And you are absolutely correct, Madame First Lady. I only bring it up to let you know you have - alternatives.”

 

Your help as an alternative? Mellie mentally shook herself. That wasn’t going to happen unless it were absolutely necessary; she was not fool enough to put herself in that trap.

 

But it wouldn’t hurt to let Hollis think that she was vulnerable. Mellie had always counted on men underestimating her. It was a life skill she’d carefully honed.

 

But women were a whole different matter. And not only did she have Olivia Pope to concern herself with, now there was Jocelyn Martin as well.

 

Under the guise of looking over the dance floor, she sought out the woman and watched her as Jocelyn danced with her husband; a sense of discomfort riding heavy in her guts. She had no real reason to dislike the woman. She got no inkling of any sort of romantic attachments forming. But other ties that could bind them together could be just as dangerous. Melllie wasn’t about to stand by and watch another woman usurp power in places where she herself was struggling to be heard. If it was jealousy that fueled her dislike, Mellie wouldn’t admit it, not even to herself. All she knew was that Jocelyn Martin was a possible threat.

 

She realized too late that her silence was just as dangerous as anything she might have let slip. She raised her eyes to meet the other man’s and gave a light little laugh.

 

“I assure you Hollis, there’s nothing you need to worry your pretty head with.” She reached up and played with the hair on the side of his head to take the sting out of her words.

 

His eyes were still searching, but his expression told her that Hollis was willing to play along - at least for now. “If that’s what you say, Madame First Lady, then that’s good enough for me. I wouldn’t worry much about your current obstacles, because well - they just aren't up to snuff. You’re a thoroughbred with the blood and breeding to overcome any and all upcomers - including this current contender and her daughter, sweet little fillies that they might be.”

 

Mellie repressed a shudder at the leer that crossed his face.

 

He flashed his good-old-boy grin at her. “Just know, that old Hollis has ways and means of removing obstacles from his path and my services are at your call. All you got to do is just crook one delicate finger in my direction and I’ll come-a running.”

 

“I’ll be sure and remember that.” she told him, returning his smile with a carefully crafted one of her own. And this was something she meant - after all, Hollis did have his uses - as he’d already proven.

 

//**//

 

Fitz danced with several other women, including Jocelyn and then her daughter, Shireen. He found Jocelyn’s daughter a delight and a true respite from the tensions swirling around the room with the majority of the guests.  At first, she was obviously awed and flattered by the idea of dancing with the president, but soon enough she proved herself her mother’s child. He could imagine her as his own grown-up daughter; he asked her questions about her accomplishments and her schooling and it wasn’t long before she was talking enthusiastically to him as though she known him for years instead of hours.

 

All the while Fitz still managed to keep track of Olivia’s whereabouts at the same time. He was aware of her as she moved through the crowds, talking easily with everyone whose path she crossed. He was most of all aware when Jake left. His heart had clenched when he noted Olivia walk with him to the door, then something in him eased when Jake bowed over her hand before he walked away and Olivia returned to her seat.  Her gaze was distant as she watched the glittering revelry before her and he couldn’t help but wonder what thoughts were on her mind.

 

He knew what was on his.

 

Try as he might, Fitz couldn’t get Olivia out of his thoughts, despite their earlier clash. It had been like that ever since he’d held her in his arms. She was also making a deliberate attempt to avoid him, somehow managing to be at the opposite side of whatever area of the ballroom he was.

 

She probably couldn’t get him out of her mind either.

 

After Shireen, he danced with several ambassadors wives’ making idle and polite chit-chat while he did so. He also made it a point to mix and mingle with several of their husbands and aides. He should have been satisfied; most of the conversations showed a distinct approval of his restraint in the current situation. After all, it would do no good to anyone’s interests if the region were to explode into more chaos than what was already happening.

 

He found himself drawn into a small group that included the Prince Farouk and was pleased that a few minutes later, both Cyrus and Jocelyn had found a way to join him. As had been noted earlier, Farouk dismissed the clumsy attempt by the minor official who had overstepped his boundaries, “and would be duly dealt with.” as Farouk promised.

 

“Not with any lasting consequences, we would hope.” Jocelyn said. She had draped her sheer shawl about her head and shoulders before she’d approached and greeted the prince.

 

In appreciation, he smiled and bowed his head in her direction. “We are not barbarians, Madame Envoy.” he reminded her. “But yet, we have traditions that are not rooted in the Western beliefs.”

 

“And that’s why we all must walk so delicately with one another, Prince Farouk, so that we may keep our misunderstandings to a minimum.” Fitz said.

 

“Delicate.” the prince nodded in agreement. “So much rides on delicacy and understandings. There are so many matters that require it.”

 

“There are few others that are on my mind than those of which you already are well informed on.” Fitz said.

 

“I understand.” Prince Farouk replied. “It must be a difficult thing to have individual lives weighing so heavily on your mind in the midst of all of your other responsibilities - it must require an incredible amount of balance and trust.”

 

“It’s a great trust the American people have given me,” Fitz told him; the weightiness of his tone lending an extra meaning to his words. “I will always strive to be worthy of it, but the path I take to ensure it is still an open one. I seek the one that will not end in bloodshed, but if that is the one I am forced to travel...”

 

“It is a path many of us would rather choose, Mr. President.” the prince said. “There are paths before me as well - and I too find it difficult to choose the right one from among the many. To hear the right voice among the many who clamor for many things.”

 

It was swiftly understood by all standing there that unspoken negotiations had begun. Cyrus remained silent through most of the remaining exchange except when he was needed to deliver certain facts and figures; his role as bulldog and dragon was not needed here. Instead it was Fitz himself, using the charm and power he’d been born with and had grown into since obtaining the presidencey who carried the majority of the conversation.  The prince was also fluent in his diplomatic skills and it was a skillful thrust and parry of words that took place between them beneath the golden lights. And it was Jocelyn who kept the misunderstandings to a minimum.

 

While he would commit to nothing openly, Fitz was left feeling much better by the time the other man bowed and excused himself away.

 

“All of this was for twenty minutes of conversation.” Fitz said waving a hand around the grand ballroom. Not that he wasn’t satisfied with the outcome, but still...

 

“It was more than thirty minutes and it was a well spent time.” Jocelyn corrected him. “He cannot commit to us openly - he hasn’t the authority - but I am more than reasonably sure that we now have a firm alliance offer on the table.”

 

“And best of all, it was accomplished without the efforts and input of one Hollis Doyle.” Cyrus put in. “That’s the bonus of the night right there.”

 

“I can’t say I disagree with you, Cy.” Fitz said with a weary smile. Jocelyn looked at them both not understanding. “Cyrus will have to bring you up to speed on our Mr. Hollis Doyle.”

 

“But not tonight.” Cyrus said. “I refuse to let my good mood get spoiled by talking about the likes of him.”

 

“Then this should be good.” Jocelyn said. “I can’t wait.”

 

“You’ll have to.” Cyrus told her; but he said it with a grin.

 

While they continued to chat, Fitz let his eyes wander around the room.  He spied Olivia near one of the terrace doors,  talking with some of her associates and Jocelyn’s daughter. They both looked tense, and as they talked, Olivia began tapping one finger on her watchface. He knew that small gesture well; she was restless, her patience was coming to an end and she was ready to move.

 

He turned to Jocelyn and Cyrus. “We’ve done all we can tonight as far as the hostage situation is concerned and you’ve both done well. I’d say we’ve earned the right to enjoy the rest of the evening, so if you’ll excuse me...”

 

Fitz barely waited for their answers. His presidential duties might be taken care of, but he had unfinished business of his own.

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.