Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 53

 

“Is it good or bad that no one has tried to contact me?” Shireen asked.

 

Olivia continued to look out the french door she was standing next to as though she were thinking her answer over. Then she turned to face the other woman. “I’d say it was a good thing. You did leave yourself plenty of opportunity for it to happen, right?”

 

“We did.” Harrison said as he joined them, two glasses of champagne in hand. One he handed to Shireen, keeping up their pretense of being there together as a couple. “A few strolls around the garden, and then I’d fetch her some champagne, or work the edges of the crowd a little - what?” he said as Olivia raised an eyebrow at him. “You never know who’s the next contact you need.”

 

“Speaking of contacts and need, what happened to your navy whites?” Abby joined them. “He was looking like he wanted to really get into you - and I mean that in the cleanest way.” The grin on her face said otherwise.

 

“Where’s David?” Olivia asked her, ignoring the other woman’s not so subtle innuendo.

 

“He is happily chatting up a senior federal judge or two.”Abby answered with a satisfied grin. “I’ve made him a happy man tonight. And think, the night is relatively young.”

 

“Good.” Olivia said. Keep David happy was always a wise thing. Because somewhere down the road she always managed to find a way to make him unhappy.  It’s not like they exactly kept score but it never hurt to try and maintain somewhat a balance. “There was nothing on your end regarding Shireen?”

 

Abby shook her head. “No one that I could see was giving her the side-eye above and beyond what they might give any attractive young woman. Some commented on the hair-piece and I made a point to follow up on them, but it seemed to be more about the creativity in the piece than anything else. No international incidents were hinted at; not a one.”

 

Abby might have a point, Olivia thought, even if she were just being her usual  sarcastic self. Well, this was a good thing, she decided. At least whomever they’d been dealing seemed to have not had access Shireen on this level of security. Huck would be interested in that news as well.  Olivia made a decision.

 

“Well, I’m going to call it a night. Stay as long as you all please, just make sure to stagger your times so we’re not all leaving at once. Shireen, since your mother is here, it’s probably best if you walk out with her. You all can figure out your own timing.”

 

Olivia barely waited for their agreement before she turned away and headed for the entrance, glad for the chance to finally escape. After she gave her name to the valet, she exhaled slowly, feeling the last of her adrenalin as it faded away from her system.

 

Olivia suddenly felt very, very hollow, almost light inside in an eerie way. As if she’d been drained of so much of herself that she could just float away.

 

The feeling stayed with her as she paced a bit in the open air. Despite the muted hustle and bustle going on all around her, it was almost as though her surroundings almost didn’t exist. Something strange was suddenly going on with her, some sort of prescience had crept over her. Olivia wondered what it was her gut was trying to tell her.

 

Then thankfully, her limo was pulling up. The valet opened the door and Olivia slid into the dark interior with a sigh of relief, her eyes fluttering closed even as her body sank into the plush and welcoming cushions.

 

As the car pulled away from the curb, her body relaxed almost bonelessly; Olivia’s lips parted softly and she exhaled again, feeling her body shiver in near exhaustion of both mind and body. The low rumble of the engine was a welcome sound, lulling her into an even deeper sense of dreaminess and unreality. For a rare moment, she let herself sink into mindlessness. For once, she didn’t want to think, didn’t want to feel - she just wanted to simply sit and be still...

 

That odd sensation intensified before she could finish that thought, a dance of her senses began - so strong that her flesh rippled with it, leaving an undeniable echo deep within her soul.

 

Olivia’s eyes flew open as she realized she wasn’t alone. Her gaze focused on the far corner of the backseat where he shadows were darker, but swiftly resolved themselves into shapes and planes.

 

And then the exterior lights flashing by fell upon the familiar slate-blue gaze.

 

//**//

 

Fitz hadn’t moved when the limo door had opened and Olivia had slid into the car opposite him. He sensed her total surrender to the dark and quiet, her eyes shut even as her body sank into the seat. It did nothing to dispel the heat that was seething within him.

 

Instead, he envied her the ability to let it all go, unaware of how utterly drained she was feeling inside and mistaking it for something entirely different. As far as he was concerned, in contrast, he felt as though everything in him was wound as tight as a coiled spring.  His thoughts followed suit, spiraling around and around and downward, colliding into one another, leaving him unable to move, unable to think.

 

At least until her eyes opened and looked into his.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.