Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Fitz was just hanging up his phone as he heard the knock on the door. Unknowing, he frowned as he saw his wife enter.

“Mellie? I’m busy today.” He actually had at least twenty minutes before his next meeting and he’d looked forward to having a few moments to himself. But now, it looked like he wasn’t going to get it. “Is something wrong? The kids?”

“No, I’m happy to say.” Mellie said, smiling at him as she crossed the room. “Actually, my concern is with you today.”

“Me?” Fitz was puzzled. “I’m fine. Why are you concerned about me today?” 

“Why Fitz, I’m your wife - I’m concerned about you every day.” She answered smoothly as she spread her hands out in a conciliatory gesture. “Nothing really - it’s just that you work so hard. It’s been a long day, and I’m sure you have the rest of it totally mapped out ahead of you. But the sun has finally come out from behind the clouds for a bit and I thought - we should take advantage of it and spend a little time outside...”

“Mellie, could you get to the point, please.” He really wasn’t in the mood for this, but Fitz struggled to be polite to his wife. That was the right term for them. Polite. 

The little laugh she gave then, alerted him that she had a plan in mind. And the little shrug of the shoulders she gave was anything but nonchalant - they’d been married too long for her to trick him with it. While his face didn’t change, inside, he tensed.

“Mellie?”

“It’s nothing really - I had a surprise visitor - visitors, actually - and we got to chatting about this and that, and it came to me that you might like to join us for at least a cup of tea...” 

She was talking quickly now, and Fitz came to full alert. “Just who is this surprise visitor, Mellie?”

Something crept into her eyes. “Oh, it’s just Hollis Doyle.”

Fitz’s hands eased themselves into fists. “You said visitors, Mellie. Who else?”

“He came with a guest of his own. An Ardaran Farouk  - you know, I believe he is an actual prince.” Her eyes brightened with achievement.

Fitz’s mind raced; the name was vaguely familiar. In a moment, he recalled what he knew of him. The House of Farouk was a part of the former royalty of Iran, a very wealthy part. They played down their formerly royal ties to a great extent - a wise thing to do in these turbulent days. But they’d managed to hold on to the majority of their oil-rich lands - and therefore their wealth. 

Politically, they kept their distance from the government for the most part. Briefly, Fitz wondered if they could be of help in his own current hostage crisis, but he doubted it. And even if they could, he would not approach them through any conduit that included Hollis Doyle. He’d never consent to give a man like that any amount of political coin for him to cash in on down the road. 

And Mellie should have known better. 

“Not happening.” Fitz said. He watched her face change as she realized what she should have seen from the start, that her husband would balk at having any dealings with Hollis. 

That didn’t mean she’d give up easily. Mellie tried to go all innocent on him. 

“Fitz, I know Hollis is not one of your favorite people - but he did help us during the campaign. Would it really hurt anything if you were to sit down across the table from him and have a simple cup of tea.

“I don’t like tea.”

“Well, coffee, then.” his wife replied. “It’s not like this was a state dinner or a formal treaty signing, is it?”

“No, Mellie, it’s not.” Fitz answered her. “But it’s also not an occasion for Hollis Doyle to flaunt his association with the White House and the president in front of a foreign national without previous contact or consent.”

A little desperation crept into her voice. “Fitz, won’t you at least just consider it. I mean, I promised Hollis...”

“When it comes to my meetings, you have no right to promise anyone any thing.” Fitz said, allowing a thread of anger to weave its way into his voice as he came stiffly to his feet. “You do not set White House protocol, Mellie - and you know that!”

“I was just trying to help." Mellie shot back. “I mean, I thought maybe he could help you with the hostage situation”

“Did you tell Hollis that?" he erupted; his hands slammed down on his desktop even as his voice escalated to a near-shout. When would she learn that her position as First Wife was not to create policy at this or any other time? How many times had they argued about this very thing. 

Now the so-called closeness and caring that she’d been exhibiting for the last few months made themselves crystal clear to him.  Once again, she'd thought she would be able to manipulate him to a place where he would grant her a portion of the power she craved. 

Well, if she'd wanted political power, she should have ran for office herself. Instead, she'd chosen the path of a political wife and the reins it put her had frustrated her ambitions.

While all of this was going through his mind, Mellie had stood there, shocked and silent at his response.

He glared at her, out of patience. “Answer me!"

A little frightened now, she shook her head. 

He glanced upwards. “Thank You for small mercies.” he muttered. 

Fitz came around the desk to stand face to face before her. He wanted to make sure that she understood him clearly. “That man is never to be privy to the doings of this office. He is to never have a say in policies either domestic or foreign." 

Fitz fixed a steely gaze on his wife. "Have I made myself clear? 

He could see clearly that she wanted to answer him back in the same tones he’d used to address her, but at this point, she didn’t quite dare it. Teeth clenched into a frozen mask of a smile, she answered him.

“Crystal.”

With a great effort, he damped down his anger. Fitz turned away from her and forced himself back into his seat. He reached for a folder on his desk.

“Just so that we're clear here - the answer is no, Mellie. When it comes to Hollis Doyle, the answer more than likely will always be no - unless I deem it otherwise. Not you, and not him. Me, the president of the United States will decide whom I see and whom I will not see - and when it happens. 

“Right now, I have far weightier concerns on my plate - including the fate of five Americans who are being held against their will in a foreign, hostile land. I have no time to play tea service.

“So you go now and do the best you can to pull yourself out of the mess you caused. Smile prettily at Hollis and his guest and play the gracious First Lady.“

“And just how am I supposed to explain your absence?" Mellie asked through gritted teeth

“I. Don't. Care. Tell them whatever you like - I'd suggest something along the lines of the affairs of state and so on. Just do not impugn the integrity of this administration any more than you already have - then get them both the hell off of the White House grounds."

He dropped his eyes back down to the papers before him, knowing that Mellie would take it as the dismissal it was meant to be. 

Just before she reached the door, he spoke once more, without bothering to look up.

“And Mellie, be very, very careful that nothing like this ever happens again."

There was a moment's silence. Then she answered, her voice brittle and light. “Of course, Fitz.”

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.