Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the ending to Wednesday for Aubrey and Antonio...

 

She has just three more days left....

 

uh oh....




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


       The sound of pop music playing throughout the store was like white noise to Aubrey as she walked around it, observing the different displays and products that decorated it. Over her shoulder was Antonio. She had asked to go somewhere where she could look for souvenirs and knickknacks. He had taken her to one of the best shopping centers he knew, and decided to watch patiently as she shopped for something.

   He had suggested different things, seeing the indecision on her face as she scowled at price tags and items, thinking that there was no way in hell that they matched.

   What he didn't know was that Aubrey was in search of a present for him.

   Attending the party was still up in the air, but she felt that the least she could do was buy him a gift. She had felt an urge to find something for him, it would be the first and maybe last one she ever got him, so that called for something memorable.

   The sound of his cell phone ringing told her that he had a call to take. He had ignored it all morning, and with a smile of encouragement to him to answer, Antonio excused himself as he spoke in hushed tones to the person on the other line.

    He kept an eye on the top of her head as she began to move around the store, making a beeline for the section that catered to men.

   Cologne, wallet, or tacky tie.

    What the hell are you supposed to buy for your dad?

   Aubrey was never a shopper, and if she couldn't go in and out of a store without any trouble, she would feel herself become irritated and annoyed at the prospect of shopping. She had no patience for the task whatsoever.

    While she became enraptured in looking for a present before Antonio could see, she didn't notice the lurking Lillian slowly making her approach towards Aubrey.

    Lillian had been surprised when she first caught sight of the girl, and a flashback to their last encounter had made her cringe. She had pussied out of calling Antonio to apologize for her inappropriate outburst after finding out who Aubrey was. She dimly remembered that being her reaction when she had first found out about him and Sandra years ago. She still remembered how hurt he had been at her taking their relationship for a joke, and had chastised herself for the past two days for doing the same now with Aubrey.

    She watched as she picked up various things, eyeing them, feeling them, before placing them back down with a look of dissatisfaction.

   "I'm sure that will attract the ladies."  After lingering over her shoulder for long enough, Lillian finally decided to make her presence known as Aubrey sprayed a bottle of cologne on her wrist, and grimaced from the strong smell.

   Aubrey put the bottle down, careful not to drop it at the sudden voice. Turning around, she realized who it was as she rubbed the smell off onto her pants.

  "Yeah, well, too bad for them." She murmured. It was apparent that Aubrey wasn't very excited seeing Lillian, and with a nervous smile, Lillian immediately began to apologize.

   "Look, I know we started out on the wrong foot. I was wrong for....acting the way I did. I honestly did't mean any harm. Sometimes I just get a little out of control even for myself."  The younger girl regarded Lillian with a stoic face as she waited her response.

   Wrinkling her nose, Aubrey sniffed as the smell of the cologne began to bother her.

   "Okay." With a shrug of her shoulders, Aubrey held no malice or resentment in her answer, and without having to dissect it, Lillian knew that it was her way of saying everything was cool between them, and she accepted it.

   "So, are you looking for something for the birthday boy?"  She took a deep breath of relief as she noticed Aubrey's perusal of men's shirts and ties next.

   "Or are you looking to change up your look? I have to say, that blue would go amazingly well with your eyes." Lillian held up said shirt, and Aubrey's small smirk was almost invisible. She knew that if she had blinked she would have missed it.

   "No, I was just looking. Nothing big." Aubrey watched as Antonio made his way over the many stands, his tall figure standing out in the store. She saw his eyes move between her and Lillian with a knowing question. Since no one was in a headlock or bleeding, it was safe to say that everything was under control.

   "Well, no one is dead yet so I should take that as a good sign, right?" Antonio spoke as he stood beside the two.

    "I think I've been spared. I paid my dues so ..." Lillian told him, hinting at the clearing of the air. They had been friends for so long that sometimes the less words said between them, then the more understanding.

   "I'm glad to see that." Looking over to Aubrey's empty hands, he raised an eyebrow." Haven't found anything yet, have you? I figured it would be a little hard in the men's department." There was a slight show of humor in his words as Aubrey lightly rolled her eyes.

  "I guess that would make a whole lot of sense. We can go now, if you're ready." Aubrey waited for his nod of agreement, but just before he made to say his goodbyes to Lillian, she hopped in and stopped him mid-sentence.

   "Let me take you to dinner!"  She blurted out.  Aubrey looked to Antonio, and Antonio looked to Aubrey. The look they shared was so uncanny that Lillian almost busted out in laughter again, but her good conscience told her that wouldn't be the best idea.

   "We could do that, right?" Antonio knew that it was heading into the evening, but he knew that he had promised Aubrey to go see a movie." It's just that, we were going to see a movie in a few, so does the offer still stand until later?"

   Shaking her head yes, Lillian waved her hand." Of course. I'm sure you guys have a lot of catching up to do. Just call me when you're done, and I'll treat you to dinner. On me."

   "On you." Antonio repeated making sure she knew what she said.

   "On me!" She called out after them as Antonio and Aubrey began to leave the store.

   When they were outside, Aubrey turned to him.

   "I'll make sure I don't eat too much popcorn because something tells me I'm going to want to save my appetite for dinner."

   "Don't hold back. Lillian always slips by whenever we eat together. It's time the tables flip on her."

   Both laughed at their devious plot to make sure Lillian felt a dent in her purse that night.

oOo

       Lillian narrowed her eyes over the table at Antonio as his meal was placed before him on the table. Her eyes had twitched as she heard them order the most expensive appetizers, entrees, and even suggest which desert would be best before they even finished their meal. She had watched as a bystander as Aubrey and Antonio had looked at the menu together.

     Antonio had always been a reserved guy. Never joking too much or too uptight. Watching him with Aubrey, Lillian saw a genuine smile come from his lips, and a hesitant one from the girl's. She wondered how Antonio could go back to who he was before Aubrey showed up, and honestly, she crossed her fingers that he wouldn't have to.

   "You look a lot like Sandra, you know." Lillian broke the small silence that had settled over the table as they all began to eat.

   Looking up from her plate, Aubrey began to retreat with her easygoingness at the mentioning of her mother. The way Lillian's eyes surveyed her teetered on the line of becoming unnerving.

     "Lillian." Antonio's voice was soft yet his words held a firmness as he watched Aubrey duck her head.

   "I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect-I'm just-remembering old times, I guess." Turning to her wine, Lillian took a sip of it as a memory grew in her mind.

      Lillian fixed her ponytail that had been pulled at by the cheerleader she had been seeing for the past couple of weeks. Checking her lips for the remnants of her left over lip gloss, she swiped her thumbs at it, remembering the taste of the owner's lips.

   She had asked Antonio for a ride after school that day, and had hung around waiting for his practice to be over with. Usually, being at school past the end of the day bell would be the last thing on her list, but filling that spare time with a little reward after weeks of playing cat and mouse with the cheerleader who knew what Lillian was about, yet was hesitant to make a move made up for it.

   Jovially, she made her way to the soccer field, nodding to some of the players as they left.

   "Have you seen Antonio?"

   "Yeah, he stayed back like always."  Lillian's eyes followed the boy's arm as he pointed down the stadium and towards a small brick building at the end of the field. Making her way down the steps, she came to a halt at the sound of laughter.

   "Do it again."

   "Again?"

    Creeping slowly towards the building, Lillian could hear the tell all sounds of lips meeting each other, and the soft whisperings of two people.

   Scaling her hands alongside the building, she was light as air, not wanting to make a sound as she peeped around the corner.

    The sight of Antonio pressing the new girl, Sandra, against the wall kissing her neck brought a shocked gasp from Lillian's lips.

   Hearing the intruder, the two lovesick teens turned around like they had been caught red handed.  Lillian could see Antonio's hands on Sandra's bared mid drift.

  "Lillian, I was just coming to get-"

   Holding up her hands to stop him, Lillian didn't want to hear him anymore.

   "I was just checking on you, but I see you still had some things to ...finish up. I'll wait for you by your car."

    Leaving the two with their mouths still open in shock, and cheeks flushed from embarrassment, Lillian had no intentions of telling what she saw.

   So what Antonio was hooking up with a black chick?

    Lillian had finally accepted that she was a lesbian, and she knew that if word had gotten out in their circle about who the two best friends spent their time with, it would only cause hell and chaos. Lillian respected Antonio's obvious love, and she would only hope that he would do the same for her.

   She would protect that if it was what he wanted.

    "I was never really close to her, but we talked some. She was a nice girl. Very nice."

   "Yeah, that's how she always was." Aubrey found that she was responding despite herself. Lillian's eyebrow quirked in Antonio's direction at the use of tenses.

   " I have to say this is still...pretty wild to think of. That Antonio and Sandra had a kid-had you."

   "Yeah. Well..."

  "If you ever need anything, I'm here for you. I promise." Lillian's offer of support and friendship went to both Aubrey and Antonio. She eyed them to make sure they understand that she meant it to the fullest.

   "Besides, I missed out on being a God Mom and teaching you all kinds of wicked shit." Lillian laughed at Antonio's furrowed scowl.

   "Good thing it's too late for that then." Antonio scoffed.

   "No, no Tony dear. It's never too late." Lillian winked at Aubrey who stared back at them quizzically.

   How was she supposed to stay so adamant on leaving if everyone she met confused her since they all seemed to be so convinced that she was here to stay?

   "Well, it sucks that we couldn't have met sooner. I'll be gone in a couple of days." Aubrey interjected, wanting to drive the point home. She wasn't here to become a permanent figure in any of their lives, and she had to let it be known.

   "What do you mean?" Lillian looked to Antonio for an answer as he tensed at Aubrey's words.

   "She doesn't mean-"

   "Yes. Yes I do mean that I am leaving, Antonio. I've already told you this."

   "We haven't discussed that yet, Aubrey."

    "It's not up for discussion." Sliding back her chair, Aubrey stood to her feet. Going to the bathroom to cool down would be the best option for her. She had a good day with Antonio thus far, and didn't want her impending departure to ruin it so quickly.

   "I have to use the restroom." She barely finished her statement before she had left the table. Putting down her fork, Lillian leaned over to Antonio.

   "Is she serious? She's going to leave? But, she just got here. First Sandra keeps your daughter a secret and now she's making her go back to the thin air she poofed from?"

   Putting his elbows on the table, Antonio steadied his head on his fists.

   "Sandra was never this way when we were younger. Has she changed that much?" Lillian sat back in disbelief. Antonio opened his hands, placing them back down.

   "Sandra's dead, Lil."

   The anger that had started to grow was soon diminished.

   "No." She whispered.

   "It happened just a couple of weeks ago. Aubrey said she had found some old things of mine and took a plane to come and find me. She never had any idea about me, Lillian. After all of this time."

   "You're not going to let her go, are you? Antonio..."

   "I can't force her to stay."

   "Do you not want her here? I mean I know she changes everything now, but she's your kid."

    "Of course I want her here. How am I supposed to tell her that she isn't going back? I'm her father, but not her dad. You heard her call me Antonio. She doesn't want to be here."

   "Oh cut the bullshit, she's a teenage girl! Of course she's going to kick and scream about what she doesn't want when it's just a front." Lillian was a high school calculus teacher, at a private school nonetheless, and she was well versed in the behavior of teenagers. They talked big even when they didn't mean it.

   "She's old enough to make her own decisions. I don't know if I could change her mind. I've been trying to like hell, but she's so...sure that she is leaving." Lillian looked towards the restrooms to make sure Aubrey wasn't returning yet.

  "You're her father. You should have some rights, considering the situation. Talk to her family or whoever has custody of her-"

    "I don't think there is anyone." Antonio had spoken a quiet fear of his that had been festering in his thoughts. He remembered Aubrey telling him how her mother had been her everything. She had yet to mention any other love ones, to give a reason as to why she had to return other than the fact that she believed she didn't belong with him.

  "This is ridiculous." Lillian bit her tongue. Aubrey was coming back. Pushing aside her unfinished wine, she gave Antonio a look that said she wasn't happy with anything.

   Sitting down, Aubrey could almost taste the tension in the air.

 

    "I can tell that you two need something sweet in your lives. Is it desert time already?" Waving down a waiter, Aubrey placed an order for the table, and when it finally arrived, she used the food as a way to ignore the obviously annoyed looks Lillian shot at Antonio every so often.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.