Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The weekend is here, and so is a new update.

Hopefully I will get to post more up later in between things over the next couple of days.

Enjoy!

Aubrey




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


      With slow steps, Aubrey reemerged into the sunlight as she was released. She was all but kicked out of the building, but she had nothing to argue about seeing as how at least now she was out.

   She looked down to her clothes, fingers touching the dried blood that had fallen onto the material. Lifting her hand to her face, she kneaded around the still wet area of her injury. It burned to touch it, but she was able to feel that it wasn't as large as she had first thought, even though the amount of blood that left from it would have said otherwise.

  Hearing shouts from a nearby car, Aubrey squinted in its direction. Removing her hair from her face, she got a good look at the blonde woman from before. From what she could tell, she had been seen as well as a large ‘o' formed before Natalia hopped out of the car.

   She charged forward, and Aubrey had her hands ready to use them once again. She stood still, waiting for the woman, until she was jerked back by an arm wound around her waist.

   "Let go, Tony!"

   "Calm the hell down!" The stern look on her captor's face was deep as Aubrey looked into it.

   Her eyes relaxed as his features became less distorted when he glanced at her. Frozen in her place, Aubrey tried to rack her brain for what was going on before her.

   She had expected to view Antonio Russo from a distance of twenty feet, not two. So when she faced him bug eyed and mute, all of the bravado and courage she expected to have when meeting him left her.

oOo

  Aubrey's eyes stood wide open as she couldn't take them off of the man before her.

  "Hello?" Antonio took a step closer to the girl who was stuck in a daze. He had tried explaining his sister's actions to apologize for all that had happened, but with the unwavering stare she fixed on him, something told him it all barely reached her ears.

   "What?" She came back to reality, jumping a little out of surprise in the process. "What did you say?" Her voice was low and trepid as her mouth dried.

  "I was just saying sorry on my sister's behalf-are you okay? I saw you took a few blows to the head back there. "Antonio spoke slowly, letting go of Natalia's sleeve as he searched Aubrey's face for discomfort. There was a cringe decorating it, and he wondered if she was having side effects from a possible concussion.

  Blood caked on one side of her face along with stray hairs that hung haphazardly around her face. She had a scrape on her chin, one he was certain came from having her face pressed down into the hard cement.

   "That's a pretty bad cut there." He said, nodding to her eye. "Look, if it makes up for the trouble, I can have it looked at for you; see if you need stitches. It's the least I could do."

  Aubrey reached up to the wound he spoke of, but he grabbed her forearm, stopping her in the process. That was when Antonio caught a glimpse of the damage on her wrists and dress. Out of the corner of his eye, he glared at Natalia who did the same to him.

   "Are you kidding me? Antonio, if you think that there's a chance in hell that this little bitch is going to ride in my car-- then you've lost your mind. After all she has done today?"  Natalia stretched out her hands for her keys, which Antonio held away.

   Speaking more privately to her, he tried to reason. "She's actually hurt, Natalia. I would like to  at least get her a fucking band aid from the fucking pharmacy."

   "I do not care. "

   "Natalia..."

   "Look little girl-"Shoving Antonio to the side, Natalia stood directly in front of the teenager who had to have been no taller than 5'5. Aubrey stuck her tongue in her cheek as the woman came dangerously close.

   "I could turn your entire world upside down. This?" She hissed, indicating her bruised cheek." This deserves proper punishment."

   "I gave you a little blush; Lord knows you needed it with your pale ass." If Aubrey did what her heart begged her to do-drag this woman down by her hair and go to town on her-then she was sure she would definitely have an extended stay, seeing the city from a very different view.

   All she had now was her tongue.

   "I have never wanted to strangle someone so bad in my life than right now."

   "I'm waiting." Aubrey challenged her by standing on her tiptoes.

   "Okay, okay. Enough."  It seemed that Natalia didn't age gracefully. Each year her behavior retreated further into immaturity.  She ripped herself from Antonio's grip, stomping away to her car. This was the first time Antonio could take a breath. Sticking his hands in his pockets, he turned to see the young girl staring at him with the most vivid eyes he had seen ever before.

   He felt completely naked and exposed before her as they bore into him.

   Clearing his throat, he looked away before speaking.

   "Have I seen you before?"

   "No. Well yes-but no." Aubrey's words came out jumbled, something she wasn't used to. She watched as a small polite smile formed on Antonio's lips.

  "I'm sorry. I was just wondering if you were a part of the mentor program down at-"

  "No. I'm not a part of anything. I'm not really from here." A gurgling sound had Aubrey clenching at her stomach as she felt pressure build up in her body.

   "That would make sense. You're accent sounds like it's from down south." Aubrey's eyes went wild with surprise as she tried her best to cover her mouth as she vomited on both of their feet. As she retched up the bile in the pit of her stomach, Natalia stood on in horror, holding the book bag she had gotten to throw at the young girl.

  Blinking his eyes, Antonio instinctively placed his hands on her back, patting it as she heaved.

  "Ha! Well Antonio, it looks like you can escort this wreck back to the hood yourself. There is no way in hell you're getting back in my car with that shit on you." Covering her nose with one hand, Natalia tossed the bag, meaning for it to land in the vomit, but Antonio's quick hands saved it.

   "Just get the hell out of here Natalia. You've done enough for one damn day." Fed up, he dug in his pocket for her car keys, throwing them at her chest. Natalia's tires screeched as she sent the car into reverse, garnering honks from other drivers who had to avoid colliding with her as she left screaming out the window like a bat from hell.

  Panting, Aubrey raised one hand she had braced against her knees to support herself, and flipped Natalia the bird as she drove away.

   "Here, let's sit you back here." Guiding Aubrey backwards to the steps leading into the police station, he sat her down and crouched in front of her.

  She could feel him trying to search her face with his own eyes as she ducked her head away. Bringing the back of her hand to her mouth, Antonio watched her fight the sensation of letting whatever it was trying to making its way back up out for the second time.

   "I'm going to go and see if I can't get you a drink and something to clean you up with. Will you wait here for me?" He asked tenderly. Antonio had learned to talk to kids over the years, and he could tell her embarrassment hindered her from even being able to look at him. Before he could stand to his full height, he felt her tug on the red bag in his hand, bringing him back down.

   Shaking her head no, Aubrey reached out with shaky hands and unzipped her bag, digging around for the water bottles she had grabbed before leaving the hotel. Twisting the cap off of one, Aubrey slowly began pouring it onto the parts of Antonio's shoe where she had gotten him. With one hand, she wiped off the mess.

  "No, no. Don't do that. I'll get something to clean this up." Grabbing her wrists he struggled as he pulled her hands from his shoes. Aubrey went stiff, causing the bottle to drop to the ground as she bit her lip. Wetness met her lips as hot tears raced down her face.

   "Shit." Antonio cursed as he looked around.

   "What the hell are you two still doing here?" Turning to the voice calling out to them, Antonio watched as the officer's face scrunched in disgust

  He began explaining everything, asking the other man if he could come in for paper towels. Aubrey commanded her body to listen to her so that she could stop crying. She had little control over the things she did in that moment, like how her hands pulled on Antonio's as he made his way past her and up the stairs. He tried his best to shake her hold off, and continued to tell her that he would be gone for just a moment, so not to worry.

   As Aubrey sat there-the closest to her father that she had ever been in her life-she didn't want to let go. Fear had fallen upon her like nothing she had felt before. The evidence of it all lied in a sizzling mess against the hot tar of the parking lot. There was nothing but buzzing in her ear as the officer complained about not waiting around any longer. With strong fingers, Antonio forced her hand from him, and as he watched from above her head, her hand hung in the air for a second before falling back into her lap.

   Quickly dashing up the stairs, he watched her before following in behind the officer as he led him to the restrooms.

  "Stay right there!" He called to her before the door closed.

oOo

 Antonio hadn't been gone longer than a minute before he returned outside to find the young girl no longer there.

   He flew down the stairs, searching the parking lot for any sign of her.

  There she was.

   Aubrey looked over her shoulder as she saw Antonio break off into a sprint after her. Pumping her arms, she began to run as fast as she could.

   "HEY!" Antonio screamed after her. "Stop!"

   Aubrey weaved in and out of people who walked in the opposite direction. Confused faces stared after her as she whizzed by, and then Antonio would follow right behind. Seeing a man move in a suit like he did drew much attention, especially after noticing a girl like Aubrey fleeing from him.

  Aubrey stumbled as she avoided crashing into someone who stood texting on their phone.

  "Stop! Please!" Antonio felt his heart pound against his chest as he pursued Aubrey. Why was he running after her in the first place? I should have just went on after seeing she had left, should have just called back to work to let someone know that he would be on his way.

  But here he was chasing after her without even knowing why.

  Antonio could feel himself getting closer as he watched Aubrey stumble and fall to her knees. As soon as she was down, she was up and didn't even dare to take a look to see where Antonio was. She figured that would only waste time from getting away from him.

    The fight or flight sense she was going off of kept her moving. Aubrey decided that she no longer wanted to do this. She no longer wanted to reveal her big discovery. Her emotions were too much for her to handle, and when she had found herself reaching out to him, afraid for him to leave her sight, she knew that this had all turned out to be one huge mistake.

  The endurance Aubrey had built up from years of playing soccer was paying off right then. Unbeknownst to her, she had inherited that particular trait for the sport from the man chasing her down the streets in broad daylight.

   When she could hear the slaps of fast approaching feet overtaking the sounds of cars and city noise, Aubrey knew that he was right on her. Out of instinct, she took a quick glance to see his arm outstretched to her-and that single move was their downfall as they both tumbled head over heels.

   Wincing from the impact, Aubrey opened one eye to find him groaning on his side. Taking that chance to crawl away, she didn't make it very far as an angry hand wrapped around her ankle.

   "Don't. You. Dare." Falling back down on her stomach, Aubrey buried her head in her arms.

oOo

        Aubrey was dragged off behind Antonio as he pulled her close to his side. His hands tightly gripped her arm as he began walking, ignoring her protests.

   "If you don't let go of me I'll scream! I'll do it-" As Aubrey opened her mouth wide and took a deep breath, she found herself stopped as Antonio's stare made her choose wisely on her next move. Closing her mouth, she refused to let his look bother her as he took off once again with her in tow.

  Before she could recognize where they were, Aubrey felt the cool air of a pharmacy store meet her face as Antonio led them in.

   "What kind of man chases young girls down the street?" She mumbled.

   "What kind of girl runs away when someone is trying to help her?" Antonio bit back.

   He maneuvered the brightly lit store, heading for the aisle of first aid kits. He ignored the stares of the employees and other customers as they took in their appearance. Besides their tattered looks, the scene of an older man pulling a young girl behind him by what seemed to be against her will made some wonder if they should pick up a phone or not.

   "What did you bring me in here for?"  Aubrey spoke loudly, and noticing the looks from around the store she began to whisper. "Let me go!"

   Ignoring her, Antonio grabbed for what he needed as he took off once again towards the cashier. The young woman there looked startled as he slammed down the bandages,antibiotic cream, and other things he planned to purchase to treat the cut over her eye that he hadn't forgotten about. She rang him up, keeping her eyes low while watching the interaction between him and Aubrey.

   "Would you like to buy some candy or gum to go along with your items?" She waved her hand at the counter display just like her manager had instructed.

  "No." Antonio grunted as he pulled out his wallet, removing money with one hand. A pack of gum was thrown on top of the counter, and as he turned to Aubrey she rolled her eyes looking away.

   The cashier rang that up too, placing everything into a bag, and before she could hand back his change, Antonio and Aubrey exited the store.

  Antonio brought her to the store's window pointing to its ledge.

  "Sit down."

   "Look I don't need you to-"

  "Sit. Down. Now." His quiet yet authoritative command had Aubrey instantly obeying. She cringed inwardly as she couldn't help but listen to what he said.

   Silently, he rummaged through the bag, face drawn in concentration as he pulled out different items. Placing the pack of gum in her lap, Aubrey slowly began to unwrap it and place a piece in her mouth, ridding herself of the taste of puke.

   "Close your eyes." Antonio instructed. Placing his hand above her shut lids, he began pouring a liquid which caused Aubrey to flinch from its stinging nature. She felt him dab at the sides of her face, getting some of the caked on blood that still remained.  Antonio blew on the injury, glad to see that a bandage would do the job of keeping it covered. As he leaned back and untwisted the cream, his eyes roved over the squinted expression on Aubrey's face. He poured out a bit on his pinky, and began to rub it across the cut.

   When he had smoothed down the last edge the brown band aid, he saw that she still sat there with her eyes closed off from the world.

  "You can open them now." And so she did. More tears began to fall as Aubrey's chest caved in.

   Picking up his plastic bag, Antonio placed everything back inside, watching her.

  The patches of skin underneath her eyes were swollen and red. Aubrey bit on her lips as she avoided his gaze. Looking to his watch, Antonio noted the time that had escaped him from the moment his sister arrived at work till now.

    Taking a few steps away, Antonio made a call back, telling the secretary that he wouldn't be in for the rest of the afternoon. The young woman had already predicted that was the case when she hadn't seen Antonio back in the last few hours. As he hung up and began calling for a car to be sent for them, he was glad to find Aubrey remaining in her place at the window.

   The urge to ask the girl why she cried was strong, but Antonio thought that it wasn't his place to ask even though something deep down told him otherwise.

  Aubrey listened to him speak on the phone with her head down. When all was quiet again, he made his way over, taking a seat next to her. Aubrey slid as far away as she could.

  Sighing, Antonio let her know that he had called for someone to come pick them up.

   "I know it's a little late for lunch, but I'm going to take you to grab something to eat. Then after that, I'll have the driver take you back to wherever you need to go. I'm sure your parents or whoever you came with are worried by now. Does that sound good to you?"  Antonio hadn't expected more than her silence, so he sat back waiting wordlessly as well.

oOo

     Antonio leaned his head back in the booth of the pizzeria he brought Aubrey to. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he waited for her to return from the bathroom before their order came. He had taken off his jacket and tie long ago, feeling much freer without them. His shirt sleeves were rolled up now as he picked up the sweating glass of water on his table, taking a sip from it. He looked in the direction of the bathrooms where Aubrey had disappeared to minutes ago.

  His eyes landed on the red book bag she left behind on her side of the booth.

  When the car had arrived, Aubrey had helped herself into the backseat, scooting away from him determined to not be anywhere near him. He had asked her what hotel she was staying at, if she wanted to give her family a ring to let them know where she was, but she ignored him.

   As soon as they had entered the restaurant, she had left in search of the restrooms, so he went ahead and ordered for them. Sitting there now, he became curious as to what Natalia had discovered in her beg earlier.

   There had been quite a lot of money in there for someone to just casually tote around. Leaning on the table with his arms, he eyed the bag now, interest sparked. Now he too wanted to take another look inside. Maybe the girl carried an ID with her; he could at least find out what her name was.

   Before he could make a move, Aubrey returned to the table, sliding into her seat. Pushing the bag aside, she broke Antonio from his previous thoughts as he sat back.

   "I went with just pepperoni. I'm sure you can't go wrong with that." Balling up the paper wrapper which formerly encased his straw, Antonio nodded his head as they remained in silence.

   Aubrey had stood in a stall with her head in her hands as she thought of a way out. There had been no windows in the restroom, so that plan was tossed out. She knew that if she went back on all of this, then she would regret it for the rest of her life. She could end it now and could hole herself up into her hotel room until it was time for her flight back home.

   Once upon a time you had sex with my mom and now here I am. Surprise.

   That seemed simple enough.

   But if by how her mind and body seemed to be off kilter with each other today, nothing but mush would come out of her  mouth if she tried to speak to him.  She had never hyperventilated before, but she was sure she had her first attack as she knelt in the bathroom trying to catch her breath as she placed cold paper towels on the back of her neck for comfort.

   At one point she thought that if she stayed in there long enough, he would just leave giving her an excuse to be through with it all. But when she stuck her head out the door and saw him sitting patiently, she knew there was no way he was going anywhere.

  The large pizza dish that was placed under her nose was surprisingly appealing to her senses. After an upset stomach, she didn't think she could take the cheese and grease, but she found herself craving it now. Her eyes watched hungrily as Antonio began to slice it.

   She reached for a slice, bringing it to her lips only to drop the offending food as it burned the roof of her mouth.

  Antonio watched the girl fan her mouth and reach for her cup of water, forgoing the straw as she downed the drink. He laughed because in that moment, Aubrey had reminded him of Sandra from the first time he had brought her here many years ago.

   "Careful. It's hot." He warned, as Aubrey looked up at him for the first time in a long time. Antonio felt his heart skip a beat as saw Sandra written all over her face.

   "Oh, hey. Thanks for that after it's already done." She scoffed.

  Picking up his own piece, Antonio shook the thought from his head as he blew on the pizza. "Well you didn't give me a chance to tell you before you attacked it."

   He watched from above his own slice as Aubrey went at the pizza again, holding it with both hands as she took a more cautious bite.

   Aubrey was just about to go for her second piece before Antonio began prodding her.

   "What's your name kid?"

   "Now why would you want to know that?" She mumbled.

   "Seeing as how you've put quite a bit of excitement into my day, I thought it would be only the right thing to do. If it helps, my name is-"

   "Antonio. I know."

     He was taken aback as Aubrey cut him off. "How did you know?"

   "That wild banshee you were with said it." Aubrey soon realized her little slip up, but recovered quickly. Taking another bite of the pizza just as Antonio set his down; she hoped he wouldn't say anymore.

   "Yeah, my sister Natalia. Once again, I want to apologize for how she acted." He crossed his arms on the table as he watched her devour her food.

   "It's cool." She said between chewing.

   "No. It wasn't. I guess you could say she's that one person we all have in our families." Aubrey began coughing violently from his words. Taking a sip of her water, she held up her hand stopping him from coming to help her stop choking.

   "Look Mr. Russo, thanks for the food and all, but I'll be showing myself out. There's a bus stop around here right? I'll just hop on one of those and be on my way." Aubrey gathered her things and began to get up from the booth until she was stopped in her tracks.

   "Wait...Mr. Russo?" Antonio asked in confusion." So when exactly did my sister call me Mr. Russo?"

    Aubrey sat frozen, unable to form more words with her mouth as she looked at him like a deer caught in headlights.

oOo

    "Do you mind explaining how you know who I am?" Antonio watched the girl put an end to leaving, and sulk back into the booth.

  "Well, everyone around here knows who you-"

   "You're not from around here. Remember?" Taking a sip of his water, Antonio sat waiting for an explanation as the girl seemed to fumble around with words in her head.

   "Yeah, but. I mean it's not that hard to-I just."

   "You show up at my job. Pick a fight with my sister."

   "She started it!"

   "You know my name, but won't tell me yours. Yet, here I have been trying to be courteous to you. Trying to help you out-even feeding you." Aubrey took a gulp of air as she watched him wipe off his hands with a napkin, throwing it back onto the table.

  "So, I'll ask just one more time. What's going on here?"

   Aubrey was mute as the letters Tony had given to her mother, and the one's Sandra never sent burned in the bag she held in her lap. With trembling hands she slowly began to unzip it as Antonio's eyes watched her every move.

    She carefully pulled them out, one by one laying them on the table. With a raised brow, Antonio looked confused as he questioned her," What's all of this?"

   When Aubrey had let out the last one, she met Antonio's eyes with a soft and vulnerable whimper.

   "I had found these, and I just thought that maybe you should know." She spoke hoarsely as Antonio picked up a familiar paper he had written as a teenager. His eye's blinked rapidly, not able to believe what was before him.

   "Where did you get these?" He asked angrily. The girl before him was stirring up memories he had saved in a special place never to be touched again.

  "From...my mom." She nearly whispered.

    Clenching the delicate papers in his hands, Antonio held back his scream of shock.

   "Who!"

oOo

         Aubrey watched patiently as he flipped through the letters, reading them in disbelief.

   "I'm not here for anything serious. " She spoke around him as he muttered the phrases he read out loud. A hand went through his hair as he scanned the words he was seeing for the first time.

   "Aubrey? That's your name, Aubrey?" He asked as his eyes became red and somber.

   "That's what it says doesn't it..." Aubrey turned her attention to her nails.

   She heard sniffling, which drew her eyes back to him as he began to laugh.

   "Shit. Your birthday is a day after mine." He exclaimed." Shit."

   "Yeah. Well. You can keep those, I'm sure you would have better use of them." Putting on her book bag, Aubrey felt a pang of sadness seeing as he didn't try to stop her from leaving this time. She watched as he read Sandra's letters, completely engrossed.

   "Enjoy yourself then." She quickly turned and walked out of the restaurant feeling herself fighting back angry tears. The driver that had brought them there saw her coming out, and immediately came around to the backseat to open the door for her, but Aubrey continued walking past him, not paying him any mind.

   "Miss?" He called after her. "Where are you going?"

     Just as he was deciding whether or not to tell Antonio that his guest was leaving, the younger man came running out past him to. Huffing, the driver returned to his car and climbed in.

    Her eyes burned as her feet moved quickly towards the bus stop she had spotted up ahead.  Aubrey began to sniff harshly, warding off the audible sobs she wanted to make. She felt a hand clasp down on her shoulder, whirling her around.

   "What do you want?" She shrieked. Through blurry eyes, she saw herself being pulled towards a chest. Pushing away from it, she finally broke out into her crying.

    "Get off of me!" She pushed and scratched to no avail as Antonio bound her in his embrace.

   "No...let go of me." She wailed. Aubrey's sobs came out choked as her arms fell, too put up a fight any longer. Her body shook as she let out soundless cries; face turning a bright red as Antonio placed a hand onto the back of her head, holding Aubrey as close as he could. He felt the warmness of her tears stain his shirt as he moved her out of sight of people around them. There had been so many eyes on them today; he wanted to protect her from them in that moment.

   Aubrey cried like a baby. Forgetting how to breath and let out her anguish at the same time.

   Her body shook in Antonio's arms, and the tears he hadn't been afraid to hold back the moment he had her in his arms rushed forward even more urgently than before. He placed hard kisses at her temples as he let her cry into him.

   "It's okay, Aubrey. I'm right here with you now." Her name felt foreign but so familiar coming from his mouth. It was like he had said her name a thousand times before. Holding her as she cried a hundred times before. Antonio pressed his head into the hair at the top of her head.

 

    Antonio didn't care how long he had to stand there and hold his newly found daughter. In the years since Sandra had left, in the years since she had been born, he never saw himself being in this position. Had never thought he would have anything like this. It amazed him how within a day he could realize just how much he had missed something that he never had.






Chapter End Notes:

Please leave comments! I really appreciate them 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.