Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

Please don't copy and paste this story on other sites, or no wrongful appropriation of my writing or use of the original characters made by me for this story. 




Author's Chapter Notes:

Hello. This is my very first story ever being published on this forum, so please bare with me, lol. Thank You for taking time out to catch a whiff of TheDarkestTouch. It's an ongoing story so I'm hoping that if this turns out well I can continue to put my WHOLE focus with this story and more in thee future. So let me know what you think, I look forward to your reviews, opinons, thoughts etc. Thanks! :)

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


_________________________________________________________________________________

“Well you better be hooking up with something that night.” Simone said taking a quick shot and banged the small glass on the old wooden table. 

The table barely balanced on its four legs, pieces of old laments chipping off of the weathered furniture.

“Yo ya’ll get me tight. I ain’t doing shit. ” Ekene answered also taking a shot of bourbon, it burned while caressing her throat, she paid no mind to it. She wasn’t much of a drinker, but on occasions she didn’t mind letting loose for a little bit. Knowing from past experiences she couldn’t hold onto liquor very well.

She felt the brisk night air run through her dark kinky locks, that she let loose from its uptight ponytail.  At work, since her hair and personal image was and still is a politically charged debacle, she tried to keep her hair as “managed” as possible, just so that she could put her main focus on her dream, teaching. And sometimes managed meant uncomfortably pulling hair from scalp.

The breeze felt like soft feathers caressing her face as she closed her eyes, and let the alcohol fulfill its requirements.

She had a long exhausting day at work. The Prom committee needed help with last minute decisions and if it weren’t for the pleading looks those senior students gave her, she would have bailed. Ekene let out a sigh of relief.

The Trio relaxed on the roof of Simone’s apartment looking out at the scenery of the day succumbing to nightfall. The lights from everyone’s homes glittered below; the buildings that towered around them including the sight of the Brooklyn Bridge in the long distance were stunning.  Her favorite college pastime was definitely on this roof.  She closed her eyes and let out another sigh.

“Come on.” Carmen started, her Spanglish accent drifting in the air. Carmen sat back into the chair; a smug smile graced her pink colored lips.

“When was the last time you had a boyfriend? Don’t worry I’ll wait.”

Ekene rolled her brown orbs and blushed. Never, she thought silently.

“Fuck you Carmen. I don’t need a man.”

At 22 years old, Ekene didn’t have as much experiences as her older counterparts. Being two years younger than they were, Ekene didn’t allow herself to have the freedoms of being in relationships. It embarrassed her to no end. There were people who liked her, tried to date her, or move from being a friend to something more. She shied away all the time. She knew it was her fear of possibly being hurt or being too personal that prevented her from ever having a partner.

“You are so drunk bitch! You only had like two sips.” Simone stated pulling the bottle of bourbon from Ekene’s loosening palms. Knowing well that Ekene couldn’t hold her liquor.

She told them about her last minute invitation to the senior prom from her students. It hurt her a little because they didn’t ask her initially, but she knew that they weren’t doing it to spite her. Ekene was very pleased that the girls asked her earlier today. She loved how excited they were so she agreed.

But she really had nothing to wear, her closet lacked formal attire.  The prom was only a week away, and money was definitely not in the bank for her this month. It was literally a last minute decision and she didn’t want to disappoint them. She was a financially poor High School Art teacher with a now nonexistent social life.  She didn’t really plan on having a date, but her best friends from preschool Carmen Garcia and Simone Ballenger thought that it wouldn’t be a “party” without one.

She rubbed a palm over her face and stared at the night sky, the stars were hard to see because of the stench and smoke of the city. But it put her mind at ease.  She looked back at her friends with heavy lids.

“So buy me something sexy so I could get laid bitch! Dammit.”  She slurred giving Simone a dirty look.

Simone was a 5’6 fat woman with light skin and additional light brown eyes. Her hair was cut asymmetrically fitting the shape of her face perfectly. She was a stunner, the first to get married of her and her close knit friends. Simone married her high school sweet heart Jerome Ballenger, high school quarterback. She didn’t need Simone telling her what she was missing, she already knew.

Her bi-gendered friend Carmen didn’t need any help in the romance department either; she got men left and right and had no plans on commitment. She was just an inch taller than Ekene and her body was as fit as a goddess. She was a runner, as short as Carmen is she had legs for days and her abs was top notch, with her long raven hair down the middle of her back.

Her friends coaxed her into having a drink with them before she left for her long trip away from the city, the only place she called home. She was a Brooklyn summer baby, born on the hottest day in August. Long Island to Ekene was unimaginably slow. She wasn’t about that life. She loved the hustle and bustle of the people around her. She liked hearing noise in the street, people never slept. Ekene lived in the hood all her life and ironically it made her feel safe.

She was moving into a beautiful townhouse apartment, in a college town in Long Island. With the help of her father, it was affordable for her teacher’s salary and beautiful enough for her to be satisfied.

When she graduated high school, her dad Raymond Sosa Jr. immediately made an early retirement, packed his things and moved into a lovely home in a suburb of long island. With no brothers, sisters or any living relatives for that matter, she fended for herself on her college campus working for the things she needed. Raymond occasionally gave her money, but she didn’t like taking things from her old man. She felt good when she made her own money even when it was very little. 

Her dad was supposed to pick her up tonight to help carry the last of her belongings to her new home and here she was drunk out of her mind. If her father seen her like this he would be sorely disappointed. She kissed her teeth and looked back up into the night sky.

“This some bullshit, if I had a man he could pick my ass up right now.” She mumbled slumping into the plastic lawn chair.

Simone and Carmen burst into fits of laughter. “I thought you didn’t need a man?”

She shrugged uncaringly.

“Don’t worry mami, you gonna’ find somebody soon. You a fine dark skin honey with a fat ass and long hair you can’t go wrong.” Carmen, her beautiful friend, said giving her a push on her shoulder.

She smiled. “You know ya’ll make a big deal outta nothing right?”

Simone grinned. “What the hell, bitch this is a big deal, Get yo’ ass a man!”

Ekene laughed loudly at her expression. “My nigga, I’m going to a high school prom… as a chaperone. I need to be paying attention to my babies.”  She poured herself another glass of alcohol and drank its contents quickly from her cup.

“Well then you better rob the cradle, you only a few years older —“

“Stop, I can’t believe you just said that shit.” Ekene replied covering her ears at her friend’s stupidity. There was a sudden vibration in her pocket. She jumped at the feeling and pulled it out the pocket of her floral printed pants. It could be her father telling her he was near.

She stood up telling them she had a call while sluggishly making her way over to the entrance of the fire escape and sat down looking at the noisy street below.   She cleared her throat trying to sound as sober as possible. “Hello Daddy.”

“Hey baby, what’s going on?” She shrugged as if he could see her.

“Nothing much, Hanging with my girls like usual. Where are you now?”

“Oh sorry sweetheart, I can’t make it.” Her heart almost sank to her feet, how was she supposed to get home? She left her car by her new home. Worry etched its way into her face. Before she could reply he answered.

 “I sent a good friend of mine to come and get you, he’s already by Simone house, I’m just calling to tell you he’s here. “

Her head began to pound. And sitting high above the street below made her feel light headed. She moved away slowly.

 “Are you kidding me? You send some random nigga to pick up your daughter?” She muttered angrily.

“Aye watch your mouth, you drinking?” He replied his voice turning into Dad mode.

“No.” She lied, the alcohol was doing so much to her, and she should have known better consuming so much alcohol, when she knew she couldn’t stay from being intoxicating.

“Who this guy?”

“A good friends of mine’s son. Don’t worry I wouldn’t send someone I didn’t trust to get my only child.”

She sighed not really hearing what he said. “Aiight’ daddy, see you soon.”

“Bye Ekene.” 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

They watched the black Cadillac SUV double parked outside of Simone’s apartment silently, their eyes roving over every inch of the vehicle including the person who drove it. A hooded figure leaned against it. Smoke appeared every few seconds, as the tall figure stayed unhurriedly.

“You think that’s him?” Carmen whispered. They all huddled awkwardly at the front door watching suspiciously, with two suitcases, the only things left that haven’t been sent to her new house. She didn’t ask her father any details about who was coming to get her. She mentally punched herself as she stood there her hair slapping her in the face.

 “I don’t know girl, he looking suspicious just standing there chilling.” Simone replied, hugging her body from the sudden cold air.

The wind blew Ekene’s hair into her face again she pulled it behind her ear and squinted, even with her contacts in she couldn’t see his face. He wasn’t so far away, but she could tell he was watching them though.  Ekene gulped. Her father knew how she felt about strangers or people in general. She hated them; one of the many reasons why her social life revolved only around her two friends since elementary.  She wasn’t socially awkward. She had tons of “friends” and acquaintances but didn’t go past that. She stuck close to her two girlfriends and that’s how it always stayed, the irony of it all.

They tensed as he suddenly pushed himself off the car flicking his smoke in the street.

“I wonder if he’s sexy.” Carmen whispered.

 Ekene snickered; somewhere in the back of her mind she thought so too. He walked slowly towards them.  She smoothed out the already wrinkled button down that she wore all day with her sweaty palms.

As he came closer, the porch light illuminated his hooded face. He was wearing baggy grey sweat pants and a large burgundy pull over. When he reached the second step he took off his hoodie.

“Dear lord god, Carmen you right. “ Simone mumbled stepping closer to the door.

Ekene’s mouth dried instantly. She was caught off guard. “Ohm, uh...” She started, she was rendered speechless. It wasn’t fair, she thought.

“Ekene?” He asked his deep baritone filling her ears. Her heart fluttered to her throat. She looked up at the gorgeous man. He was tall much taller than her five foot four. He wore a navy blue Yankee fitted cap, almost hiding his face. Simone’s porch light was good quality, even with the fitted on she could see the gorgeous chiseled face, almond brown eyes, long eyelashes, smooth brown skin, and goatee wearing god in front of her. He was like a walking glass of lemonade on a hot day. Ekene thought. While her eyes unabashedly roving over him. The man licked his lips and she almost swooned.  He was so beautiful.

She felt herself moisten and gripped the handle of her suitcases tighter. She saw attractive men all the time, but the way her heart fluttered when he said her name did no justice. It was probably the alcohol that intensified her emotions, Ekene convinced herself silently.

 “Yeah.” She answered clearing her throat giving him a nervous smile.  “That’s me.”

 He stepped closer to her. She could smell the scent of man and clean laundry. Her eyes nearly rolled in the back of her head. The lack of testosterone around her made her question her morals. She bit her bottom lip nervously. His large hands swept over hers as he took both suitcases away from her.  She shook her head as she watched him, trying to keep her vision tight. The alcohol didn’t seem to want to let go.

“Your father asked for me to pick you up.” He informed her. Not waiting for her reply he turned and began walking toward the SUV. She watched his broad shoulders carrying the bags with pure ease. She had so much trouble getting them to Simone’s place.

 “Oh my god, I’m wet. Look at his walk, that’s a big dick walk.” Carmen whispered, when he was out of ear shot. They stood completely still in utter shock. Ekene took a deep breath and tried not to let her friend words affect her any more than it did.

“Dear god, he looked like one of those mysterious hood boys in my wet teenage dreams.” Simone muttered.

“His eyes.” Replied Carmen

“His body.” said Simone.

“His lips.” Ekene mumbled.

They watched as he put the suitcases in the large trunk and walked towards the driver’s side and get in. “His voice is so sexy. He said your name with sex written all over it.” Carmen stated in a matter of fact. “If you don’t get that girl, I will ride him to never land.”

That snapped Ekene out of her daze. “Stop playing.” She slurred even though she agreed with everything she ever believed in. She turned to them.

“Love you guys see you soon.” Ekene gave them each tight drunken hugs rocking them as she did. They laughed at her behavior. She would miss being close to her friends. They all lived in the same neighborhood since they were children. This would be the first time that she would literally be alone. She lived by herself since she graduated high school, but there fear of not having someone a block away mentally scared her.

Simone whispered in her ear before she walked away. “Ya’ drunk ass better had been all on that dick tonight, because I will call tomorrow for the deets.”

 Heat rose to Ekene’s face profusely. “Stop it dummy, shit.”

She waved good bye and tried to walk as straight as possible towards the large black vehicle.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

He watched her struggle to walk over to his car. He left the passenger door open so she didn’t struggle to hard with its handle, trying to open it. When he walked onto Simone’s porch he could see how intoxicated she was. She could barely answer him. Her brown eyes were glassy and distant and her hair disheveled.  If her father only knew, he would be pissed.

 Once she got in comfortably, she gasped in awe of the interior of the car.

“Wow.” She whispered softly. She rubbed her hands against the black leather seat. It was cool to the touch. She took a deep breath.  The cars scent unsullied and refreshing, as if it were right out of the dealership. Her eyes wandered, it was pleasantly clean, nothing out of the ordinary, not a stain or sight of garbage anywhere. A pleased look crossed her face. Ekene sat back into the large seat snuggling her small body against it.

 “This car is beautiful.” She looked at him and gave him a nervous smile.

He watched her amused.  Never did he ever think after seeing her again it would be like this. He watched as the girls awkwardly stood huddled together on the porch, trying to get a good look at him as he smoked his black and mild. He leaned against his car, taking his time observing the women he used to know as girls. They grew up nicely, very beautiful women. He thought silently. But Ekene caught the most of his attention. He remembered her as a skinny little dark skin girl with a big kinky afro weighing down her little body.  She was still short and dressed up as quirky as he always remembered. This time with the same old quirkiness she filled out all the parts that use to be nonexistent. She couldn’t hide her curves under the button down shirt and floral pants she wore. Her hair was still big and loud and cheeks still plump like a baby. Her face gorgeous with her full bow lips and chinky eyes.

“Put on your seat belt.” He told her coolly, pushing the thoughts of his childhood friend out of his mind. She frowned and began searching for the seat belt. When she found it she then began struggling to get it across her body. He shifted in his seat and reached over to her, his body slightly draping hers.

He pulled the contraption across her; through his peripheral he spotted her sniffing the hoodie he wore.

Ekene’s eyes fluttered open catching his and in pure shock froze in embarrassment and then cowered into her seat. He clipped her seat belt in and chuckled. 

Ekene face was flushed as she mumbled out a thank you and faced away from him. 

He hadn’t seen her since his family left Brooklyn for Atlanta, Georgia thirteen years ago. He would never forget that night he left. His mother Katherine packed only one raggedy suitcase with documents of her and her children’s existence and snuck away into the wintery cold November night. He remembered her rushing him, while he carried his baby sister in his arms and in his other sister in his hand and they took the bus straight to the airport. They left his father there sleeping off his intoxication, dead to the world. He hadn’t seen him since then. He left behind his favorite toys, books, friends, including the three little girls on the block; Carmen, Simone and Ekene.

He gripped the steering wheel as he drove through the night. He didn’t like thinking about his past. There weren’t any good memories for him to hold unto.  He looked over to Ekene; she looked out the window her head resting on the glass.

Ekene didn’t want to look his way, she was too embarrassed.

She smelled him like he was a thanksgiving dinner. He smelt so good, so clean, Ekene thought silently, making the heat rush back to her big cheeks.

She rested her head on the glass window for some of its cool to transfer to her.  Ekene peered over to him; he wore a slight scowl on his face. He was probably frustrated that he had to come in place of her father.

With that thought she sank even lower in the seat. The car suddenly felt too confined. He had no idea how inevitably nervous he was making her. The oxygen in the vehicle suddenly felt limited.

He looked at her, confusion written all over his face. She huffed.

“What?” he asked her, while still watching the road. She watched his side profile longingly, He was so handsome. Her finger itched to trace his strong jaw. He looked at her again after a slight pause. She cleared her throat and looked away.

“So, what’s your name?” She asked, trying her hardest to pretend she wasn’t embarrassed, pretending that she didn’t want to jump his bones.

Oh god please let the alcohol leave my body, she prayed silently.  She watched him through her side vision.

“Jody.”

Ekene looked at him. He didn’t look like a Jody; he was too hard for such a soft name. It was familiar though as if she heard it somewhere before. “Jody.” She mumbled under her breath, she heard of it before, she did. But her mind was so gone.

Jody watched her mumble incoherent things while she looked out the window. He laughed under his breath. He couldn’t believe it, she was drunk. He expected her not to remember him. It was a long time ago. After all, he spent most of his early twenties in prison, being involved in a drug trafficking sting when he was 19. He was young and dumb.

Jody clenched his jaw, trying not to think about it. It wasn’t the highlight of his life. Something he never wanted to go through again.

Ekene’s lackluster chuckles filled in the interior of the car, immediately taking his mind off of his past. She looked at him with glazed eyes and a lopsided grin.

 “Jody; like Baby Boy Jody?”  She asked referencing the infamous hood romance film that everyone and there mom’s saw one time or another. His eyebrows rose in amusement. Jody laughed at her behavior. He wasn’t one to complain though. Jody was told by many when he was inebriated the emotions that he protected like a dam would flood right out of him. He learned his lesson, but sometimes there were just those occasions where one drink would lead to four or five others. And he would have to learn the same lesson all over again.

“You straight.” He answered. He turned into the expressway that would lead him straight to Ekene’s new place, in Coderian University College town.

 

They drove in silence the rest of the way, tiredness finally swamping Ekene. She couldn’t stay up any longer. Her eyes drooped closed every few seconds until she finally gave in. 






Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for reading! - rococo


 


 


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.