Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Eviva waited by the door as she watched the two riders approach slowly but surely. She clenched the fabric of her dress until her knuckles showed white. Just moments ago she had received a message from Allona through a messenger boy. He had been dirtied and wide eyed when he told her to make sure Armida stayed clear of any sight of the rumblings going on in the city.

     Watching Armida move sluggishly towards her home, a torn veil lying haphazardly on her head, she just knew that there wasn't much she could protect her from now. Praying silently, she hoped that she could get her cleaned and settled just in case Allona made a surprise visit.

    "Come, we have to get you cleaned your majesty." Eviva reached for Armida's arm, but was rejected as her wild eyes looked to the servant who had been like just another sister over the years.

    "Please... do not touch me." Her voice shook as she slid past Eviva. Feeling slighted by Armida's unusual behavior, Eviva watched as she closed the door to one of her many rooms.

    She was ready to interrogate Dacian and demand he tell her what had gone wrong while they were out. Eviva was supposed to be responsible for Armida, nothing was to harm her as she stayed under her care. She felt as if she had failed at the one task she was asked to do.

    "She looks like death." Eviva hissed behind Dacian as he emerged from the stable after returning the horse. The sight of his swollen and bloodied face told her that they both had been to hell and back.

    "My gods..." She began to shake as she covered her mouth from shock."What has happened to you?" Eviva further assessed his injuries before gasping," Armida? Is she hurt as well?"

    Shaking his head Dacian looked to his feet. "I don't think her pain is physical."

     Glancing over her shoulder, Eviva decided that she would make Armida speak to her even if it meant forcing her. Quickly striding to the door, she knocked on it loud enough to let her know it was urgent that she answer.

    "I would like to have time to myself." Armida's ghostly voice spoke from behind the wooden door.

    "I believe that being alone is not what's best for you."

    "I can decide what's best for me!" On the other side of the door, Armida had jumped from her crouched position on the ground as she pounded her fist in anger, shocking Eviva who reeled from the sudden action. Her voice was hoarse as she yelled, chest rising and falling harshly as she backed away, the silence on the other side telling her that Eviva would grant her one wish for just this moment. The sound of feet moving away gave her relief as she returned to her spot on the floor. Around her she had arranged candles to aid her in a therapeutic ritual her mother had taught her. They were to help with the headaches she had been prone to since a little girl. Combined with everything that she had gone through that day, they had intensified. She had seen images for the first time ever in place of the abstract colors she usually experienced.

       Relaxing into a crossed leg position, Armida looked to her legs that were covered in slashes and blood. Her clothes were raggedy, and instead of feeling ashamed of her current state, she felt a twisted sense of liberation. That could only be completed as she removed her veil.

     Holding it between her hands, she fingered the once magnificent stitching. Looking at it now, it sure was a morbid way to live. Everything around her became even clearer. She was a shut in who had always accepted her life as the way it was. She had grown without a friend or true companion of who she chose on her own. Everything and everyone in her life had been chosen for her, shaping every single aspect of her life.

    Even though her heart held love for Eviva, she too was nothing more than a device in the ploy her father had planned for her life since the day she was born. If she were to look her in the eyes at that moment, she would only see betrayal and deceit in the woman.

     Armida had nothing but love and respect for Aric...had never questioned that anything he had done for her wasn't for the best. She had been taught to love him through the many portraits that decorated her apartments, the stories all of her instructors had dedicated to him. There was never any time to be spent between the father and daughter; she hadn't even lived in the same home as them since she was five years old.

     Her sisters had always told her many tales of their father, and unknowingly she had programmed herself to live vicariously through interactions that were never her own. Laughs and love that she never once experienced. As a girl, she was gifted small dolls that were complete replicas of the royal family-her family. They were made by the best handicraftsman, and Armida had always taken special care as she played with them. She would happily forget about her secluded life and play out the her wishes and desires when she toyed with the dolls.

     Moving to her sore knees, Armida moved to the large chest that sat at the foot of her bed. Opening its heavy lid, she searched for the small box which held each figurine in place.She hadn't touched the toys in ages, keeping them as safe as possible in her chest. Slowly, she gazed over the dolls as memories flooded back to her. Trailing her fingers along the intricate details of her sisters, mother, and father, she paused when she came to her small doll.

     As the others showed smiling faces, she realized she didn't have one at all.

      Armida recoiled from the faceless figure as if it burned to touch it.

    Her eyes burned as tears began to form. Biting her lip she held them back, as they were tears of anger and not sadness. She couldn't risk snapping the very thin strings which held her together.

       Eviva stood beside the bedroom door, listening closely for any sound on the other side. Caught off guard, she was taken aback to see the door open quickly, an emerging Armida stopping in her tracks before running into Eviva.

     "Your majesty..."

      "I must go and speak with my mother Eviva." A part of her cursed as she told her babysitter her plans.

     "I don't think it's best for you to leave at a time like this. I'll draw you a bath and fix a meal. Gods only know what horrors you have been through today..."

    "There will be no need. I am visiting my mother." Walking past her, Eviva noticed that Armida had changed into darker clothing, even replacing her veil with a simpler black one as her dark curls billowed beneath it. A small sack crossed her body, holding the dolls she had once admired as a child and supplies to help Dacian with the injuries that she could.

     "Your majesty, please just stay here. It's safer for you, and I'm sure Allona wouldn't like for you to be out of bounds." Eviva was nearly pleading with her as she followed behind a determined Armida.

    "Allona doesn't like many things, Eviva. I'm beginning to not concern myself with that any longer." With expectant eyes, she looked outside to find Dacian, but was disappointed to see that he had been replaced with another guard.

    "Where is the guard that was here before?" Coming to a stop just beside the man, she looked around to see if he was anywhere nearby. Saluting her immediately, he kept his eyes lowered.

      "He is seeking medical attention, your majesty." Fingers flitting down to the small satchel, she nodded, a small pang of disappointment hit her making Armida wish she would have brought out the air immediately.

     "Right."  She said with a sigh.The guard looked back to Eviva who stood waiting to catch Armida by the arm at the first sign of flight.

     "If that's what you were worried about, your majesty, then let us go back inside."

     "Eviva, my mind has not changed." Armida's voice was flat as she ignored her pleading and began walking away. The guard immediately followed. Physical contact was forbidden unless permission was given, or if Armida was in imminent danger.

    "Young miss..." He called out. Her feet began moving faster. She was glad that she chose the loose flowing pants instead of one of her usual skirts. They would have made it harder for what she was prepared to do.

    Taken by surprise, the guard watched as Armida sped away, faster than he ever thought she could move. Her body was small and quick as she made her get away. His delayed reaction to chase after her gave Armida a great lead.

    "Armida!" Eviva screamed from the veranda. She watched as other guards placed throughout the area saw what was happening, and followed suit.

    "Please Armida!" She called as she too took off in pursuit of the young woman who chose to break all protocol.

   Armida paced herself, breathing hard as her arms and legs pumped harder and faster. She didn't dare to look behind her, as the hairs on the back of her neck told her that the guards were close enough. Her eyes darted before her, searching for coverage as her veil flew into her face. She couldn't be bothered with it as she tore it off, holding it tightly.

     The vast land seemed to be endless, and she wondered if this was all even worth it.

    But before her head could talk her heart into stopping and submitting to the guards she saw that she was fast approaching a ledge which could be her only hope.

      She had no idea how far it went down, or what waited for her there, but as the guards called out one more plead, she took the risk and jumped. As Armida's body glided through the air, she wondered if her physical being was left standing looking over the cliff at her as she fell. Time escaped her, making it feel suspended in the air for eternity.

     The thud of her body sent a shock through Armida's entire system. The prickly bushes and rough rocks lightened her fall...in a way.

     Armida protected her face as she tucked her arms before her tightly as she rolled through the dirt. Gritting her teeth, she endured the pain as she prayed for it to end soon.

    Letting out a gruff moan as she was finally stopped by a large rock, Armida rolled on her side clenching at her back that made which smacked into the stubborn stone. Biting her tongue, she ceased any curses that were sure to escape.

     "Don't just stand there!" Eviva bellowed from above. The guards who stood looking over the cliff tried to see through the cloud of dust Armida had caused. Since she didn't hear the sound of their boots thumping the ground around her, she took advantage of their moment of hesitation and scurried as quickly and quietly as possible until she was no longer in view.

     Looking over their shoulders nervously at Eviva, the men took the leap.

Ooo

       Armida trudged through the forest, not quite sure just where she was. Looking behind her, she laughed at the irony; those men were supposed to be some of the highest trained guards, ready to battle and defend at the drop of a hat, yet couldn't bring themselves to jump a mere twenty feet off of the same cliff Armida fell from. In her hands, she held her headdress. Would it even matter if she wore it or not at this point? She had worn very simple clothing that would necessarily give away her status. All that the Novidas knew of her was that she was adorned with garment that masked her features, so one had any earthly idea what she looked like.

     "I can at least make it to my mother without it..." Deciding to do away with the veil, she tucked it safely into her small satchel.

     Armida had never visited unannounced or unaccompanied, and was sure that at a time like this she wouldn't be well received. She would somehow have to find an entrance into the enormous home. It was nearly impenetrable beyond its tall solid gates, but if Armida had learned anything in the last few hours, her father too suffered from follies just like any other man.

     Her journey continued on end. Armida had never been given any special lessons which would most certainly aid her in a situation like this, but the more she became in tuned with her senses, the more natural navigation became.

     "I can do this...." She assured herself as she climbed a hillside. Above she could hear the sound horse hooves trotting on a paved road. That was all the sign she needed to know that she was on the right track.

     Slowly lifting herself up, she carefully surveyed the road for those passing by. Unsurprisingly, the road was barren but for one soldier who rode the horse Armida had heard. He moved slow and with intent, telling her that his purpose was to search for individuals who were not meant to wander around without permission.

    He had to be a part of her father's security unit, and definitely not someone she would be asking for help.

     Making her way all the way to the side of the road, she kept a watchful eye as she got into a crouching position. The rider was less than fifty feet away, and the smallest sound of shuffling would alert him, and draw attention to Armida. Moving sveltely, Armida crossed the road, able to see the rough of the royal home through the trees. Taking as much coverage as possible had to be done; it helped lower the risk of being seen as she knew the way she moved was suspicious enough to detain her if they wanted to.

     As long as she kept her eyes ahead of her, Armida would not be deterred.

oOo

      With the help of a guard, Eviva was hoisted in to the air and reached for a dangling rope that would help pull her back on land. It had been an hour now since they began their search for Armida, her body disappearing right before them.

    "We have to find her as soon as possible."  She fretted as the guard began walking beside her, back towards Armida's apartments.

     "The men are doing their best, we have them searching the entire compound and surrounding areas.

     "She has to be found or-" The color from Eviva's face drained as she saw the undeniable figure of Allona approaching  in the distance." Or Allona will happen." The man beside her stiffened from the sight as well, knowing just exactly what was implied.

     Allona's confusion and suspicion was easily detectable as she road slowly past the men who saluted her and continued moving past her in all directions. When her piercing gaze fell to where Eviva stood, was too ashamed to hold her head up, and gently bowed it as Allona came to a stop.

    Silence weighed heavy in the air as the guard gave a proper salute. His eyes darted to Eviva.

     "What is going on here?" Allona's voice was cold as she questioned the two before her. Her eyes remained on Eviva's averted gaze as the man beside her stuttered out an answer.

     "Your majesty-there---it was brought to our attention that-but we are currently trying our best-"

     "The longer you ignore me, the more insulted I feel...." Speaking directly to Eviva, she cut off the other man, sending him away as Eviva was left alone to bear Allona herself.

    "Acknowledge me." She demanded.

      "Your majesty, we have encountered a situation while you were away." Still refusing to lift her head, Eviva took a step backwards as Allona came closer.

    "Look at me!" Allona's voice became even sterner as if that was possible. Her eyes hardened immediately, she knew that none of the rioters had made it this far out of bounds, she had made sure of it. There wasn't much that could go wrong here, and what could shouldn't

    "I-"Eviva began to shake, her hands unable to stay still as she stood face to face with Allona's glare. The taller woman's nose flared as her back stiffened, fists set at her sides.

    "Where is she?" She boomed, causing Eviva to jump from nerves.

    "We're looking for her...she's not in danger I'm sure...she just...she just left."

    "She hasn't just left in fifteen years, how the hell does it happen now under your watch?" Allona turned sharply, mounting her horse as she began to ride it fiercely towards Armida's apartments.

     Eviva stood frozen, unable to move a muscle after witnessing Allona's wrath. She felt the blame placed on her, and accepted it knowingly. She had never been on the receiving end of the Allona everyone else knew, and the feeling was devastating.

    With a shaky breath, she knew that it would do her no good to hide from her, and with acceptance of whatever would be done she made her way with lead feet.

     By the time Eviva had arrived to the apartment, it was to witness the aftermath of Allona's rage. The entrance door had been left open, things turned over as Allona went on a mission to figure out just how her sister could have left so easily.

     "Did she say where she was going?" Allona bellowed the question without turning around. Her skills as a fighter had made each one of her senses very keen, and the soft sound of Eviva's feet were detected instantly. Eviva watched as Allona turned over the small chest that lied in the middle of Armida's bedroom floor. Toeing through the items, she  searched for any hidden note or hints to Armida's whereabouts.

    "She...she just left."Before the flare of Allona's nose could begin, Eviva went on in defense of herself." I tried my best to coax her to stay. She was very adamant on leaving, I have no idea what she saw in the city, but it changed her-"

    Allona froze from Eviva's words. "Armida was in the city today?" The question she asked told Eviva to tread very lightly on her answer as Allona's dark eyes seemed to reach their limit.

     "Yes, your majesty." Lowering her head, Eviva realized that not only had she let Armida go once today, but twice ." She left with the young guard. I promise you I had no idea about the first incident until a stable hand reported that they had taken one of the horses." Eviva's hands were held out to show her innocence, something that didn't help to soften Allona's judgment.

     "Is that supposed to please me? Do you deserve an award for failing to keep her in her place?" Stepping past her, Allona rubbed at her temples. There weren't many places she could think of when trying to figure out where Armida had run off to.

     When she found her she would make sure that Armida would never want to set foot outside again-

     As Allona began designing a plan of punishment, the thought of her father finding out about Armida's little outings shook her to the core.

    "Is there anything that I can do to help?" Eviva called after Allona as she suddenly took off out the door.

    "I believe you've done enough!" She screamed hurriedly as she climbed atop her horse. Kicking its sides, Allona urged it on in the direction of her parents' home as fast as she could.

Ooo

     With her hands on her hips, Armida looked around from behind the cover of trees as she calculated the distance between her, and the grand window from which her mother's silhouette could be seen.

    Damn her father and these open grounds.

     She could easily be spotted at any moment, no matter how fast her legs could move her. Who knows what could happen if she was mistaken for an intruder and taken down by one of the many men on duty walking the grounds.

     It struck her that running the distance would of course be her first plan, but the idea of simply strolling as if she belonged there never did.

     So she took the chance.

      Her hear beat wildly against her heart, so much she was sure it could be heard a mile away. She didn't dare to let her eyes wander past the window seat her mother had taken. Out the corner of her eye, she could faintly see a guard appear from behind a tall pillar coming to a dead stop at the sight of Armida.

    "This is forbidden territory to outsiders." His voice boomed with authority, but Armida had heard that kind of tone from people of higher positions than a courtyard watchdog. She continued walking.

    "Surrender now or I will be forced to subdue you." He spoke even louder, not used to someone defying one of the king's personal guards. His ego fueled him as he stalked quickly behind Armida, his long strides matching her quick ones. Armida's senses were heightened as she felt the heat of his hand invade her space, coming close to clasping down on her arm in order to stop her.

    She had no idea how it happened, but she was glad it did.

    Before the guard's fingertips could land on her skin, Armida quickly grabbed his arm, twisting him quickly before he could catch a glimpse of her face. He yelped in pain, and before his screams could alert anyone else, she found her arm wrapped around his neck tightly, dropping him to his knees as he fought against her chokehold.

    Squeezing tighter and tighter, Armida prayed that this would work out the way she wanted as she felt his body become heavy. Dropping the guard to the ground, Armida looked at her arm as she shook her head.

     "Sorry?" She whispered conflicted with the body before her and the knowledge that she had been the cause of his temporary unconsciousness.

    Private lessons with Allona were finally paying off after all.

     Checking to see if any others had arrived for their place in line with Armida and her newly released skill, she broke out into a light jog towards the cover of the elaborately styled pillars of the home.

      Without a second wasted, Armida began surveying the side of the home, looking for the best way in. She hadn't been here in so long, that she couldn't remember any special passages.

     "No..." She groaned as she closed her eyes, tilting her head back.

      She felt a breeze grace her face in the short moment of silence, and then...

 

     "Armida?"












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.