Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I had misgivings before moving to a small town like Perry. Heck, I had misgivings about moving to the south in general. But I was in no position to pass up the teaching job they offered me, fresh out of college. Nor could I have passed up the opportunity to get away from... That place.

My old city held nothing for me there. No real friends and no real family. I was an orphan. The only things I would be leaving behind was pain and anger I had bottled up inside of me ever since I was sixteen years old.

At the age of twenty one, I was ready and willing when I got the call to move to Mississippi and teach at one of their local elementary schools.

Upon arriving in Perry, I noticed a few things. The first being I was just about the only black person in the whole town besides a selective few here and there. The second being that no matter where I went, wether it was a grocery store or a restaurant, or wether I was simply walking down the street, people everywhere would shoot me strange looks. The type of looks you give to people who do not belong.

It was obvious to me my stay here was not a welcome one. But I did not mind much. My skin color kept people away, and if there was anything I could ask for it was distance from other people. So I accepted this town and it's racist ways because I simply did not want to be bothered.

Though the cruel words I could have done without.

My first day teaching at the elementary school was like a new adventure for me. I loved my average sized classroom and the kids were amazing.

The second day, however, was a completely different story.

Before I could even enter my classroom, I was met in the hallway with a whole mob of white adults.

I could not even get a word out when the curses started flying.

"How in the hell is this stupid nigger supposed to teach OUR kids?!" An elderly man spat with venom.

"You pack your fucking bags and go back to wherever the hell it is you and your people came from!" A short, stubby man yelled, practically busting my ear drums in the process.

"We don't want a nigger bitch around our children!" A middle-aged woman with rotten teeth shouted.

I would not break or show any weakness in front of these ignorant country folk. They did not deserve the satisfaction. Instead of lashing out on these people, I opened my mouth to respond, but I was regarded with a hand held up.

Only it was not one of the racist from the crowd, it was my boss, the female principle.

Mrs. Jordan was a smart, young, beautiful woman who hired me on the spot. I held the upmost respect for her and I was interested to see how she would react to this unnecessary chaos.

With her long blonde hair perched in a high pony tail on top of her head, she pushed her red glasses closer to her nose with the tip of her finger and approached the roaring crowd with ease and confidence.

"Excuse me, fellow parents, but if you all are going to continue on with this useless, ignorant rant, I will have to ask that you school your children somewhere else. But seeing as that is impossible considering this is the only school within miles of the town, I suggest you all return to your homes and accept the fact that your children's new teacher is black. And not only is she black, she is intelligent, kind, thoughtful, gentle, and compassionate. All of the qualities of a great teacher. If you refuse to accept her that is on you. But if you refuse to leave, however, I will have authorities here within minutes." She crossed her arms behind her back and cleared her throat, "The choice is yours."

The crowd let out mumbles and groans and sighs of an obvious let down. But if I was judging by the looks on their faces as they departed, I had not seen the last of them. That thought alone made me shudder.

"I didn't know this town was a loop into the 60s." I said under my breath.

Jordan released a soft chuckle and smiled knowingly, "When I offered you this job, I didn't offer it to you because of your credentials alone. I looked through your profile and read about your life in and out of foster homes. I knew you were strong, and I needed a strong person for the job." She paused for a moment, "You did not disappoint, Charlie."

A half smile made it's way to my lips.

"Now, get back to work!" She motioned with her head towards my classroom.

With one last nod her way, I started towards my classroom.

When I entered the room, the silence was deadly. Every single kid had a guilty look on their faces. I regarded my students with what I attempted to be a stern look.

One brave little soul raised his small hand. "Miss Fields?"

I raised a brow and nodded once, "Yes, Tony?"

"We are sorry. We didn't know our Mommy and Daddy's were gone be angry at you 'cause we told 'em you are black." His pout I found to be adorable.

I smiled warmly at my precious students. Despite their idiotic parents, they really were sweet and decent kids.

"Guys, it's fine. Your parents are just not used to my people being around their people. But at the end of the day, we're all still people, right?" I leaned forward on my desk and stared at them expectantly.

Every one of their heads bobbed in agreement, which made me smile.

At the end of the school day when I got to my car, I was pleasantly surprised to find it unscathed.

However, when I arrived at my ranch house in the middle of the woods, I had rented in advanced to moving here, I was not surprised to find the words 'Dirty Nigger' displayed in black paint across the window.

"How classy?" I mumbled and let out an exasperated sigh.

I took out my house key from inside my heavy purse and unlocked the front door. It made a clicking noise as I opened it and walked inside the cool, conditioned air.

One thing I could say I loved about moving to Perry, Mississippi, would most definitely be my choice of living arrangements. The humungous, two story tall and wide brick house was in the middle of nowhere and secluded from all and everything except land and woods.

But apparently it was not too secluded if the locals had already discovered where I was staying. But I should not have expected much else from such a small town.

Quickly, I relieved myself of my blazer and threw myself onto the comfort of my red couch. I stared up at the ceiling as my mind raced.

My day had gone from shitty, to good, to shitty all over again. I could not believe the audacity and ignorance of the people in this fucked up town. But then again, I was used to shitty people all my life. I had not expected much else ever since my parents died, a few years after I was born that is.

Before I let my mind wander off to that particular dark place, I got up and headed to my bedroom. I pulled a white wife beater out of my closet and some dark jean shorts out of my dresser as I quickly slipped them on. I slipped on my black and white converses as well, and by the time I headed out of the door, dark had fallen.

When I got into my Camry, I instantly decided I needed a drink. No, I deserved a drink. Without much else to think about, I drove onto the main road and headed for town.

There was only one club in all of Perry, and it was not even considered a real club. It was more of a local bar with a pool table and a juke box. But hey, the fact that they served alcohol was all that mattered to me.

I arrived there within the next ten minutes. When I got to the parking lot, a.k.a. a big circle of dirt, I noticed there were at least twenty cars outside. I parked between a humungous pickup truck and a motorcycle.

After I applied some chapstick to my dry lips, I grabbed my wallet and hopped out of the car.

When I reached the front doors, there was a big, bulky guy with green hair blocking my way in.

He stared down at me with a frown, "ID?"

I unfolded my wallet and showed him my driver's license.

Still sporting the same frown, he only nodded and moved aside to let me in.

Once inside, I made my way straight over to the bar, where I ordered two shots of tequila. There was no school the next day, so I was free to drink as much as I pleased.

In no way, shape, or form was I an alcoholic, but I thought I deserved a little reward after keeping my cool earlier.

I watched as the bartender, a young girl around my age with long auburn hair and bright green eyes, a striking combination, made my drinks.

It only took a moment for her to set both shots in front of me. I downed them both in seconds, the liquor burned my throat and caused me to make a face.

The girl laughed at my expression. "Wow! You sure you know what your doing?"

With a shrug, I blinked a few times and answered her, "I've had a long day..."

She widened her eyes a bit. "I can see that." Then, suddenly, she leaned forward and whispered, "People in this town can be a little racist."

An amused smile shaped my lips. "You say that as if it's some big secret? Judging by all the lurking eyes in my direction, I'd say it's a given." I did not have to turn around, I could feel all of their eyes on me.

I was shocked as the bartender outstretched her hand towards my direction and grinned, "My name's Rudy."

With a determined shake, I took her hand in my own. "Nice to meet you Rudy. I'm Charlie...and I think I'll take two more shots of tequila."

Rudy smirked at me as she took her hand back and started pouring my drinks. They were in front of me in no time. She was quick, that girl.

I decided to take my time in drinking them as Rudy moved down the bar to help another client.

I took the first shot in my hand and turned around on my stool to watch the people around me. Not nearly as many people were staring at me as before. They were all lost in their own drunken world. Dancing, laughing, and drinking.

At the pool table, there was a group of men playing a game. They seemed so concentrated on the game that they could not have possibly caught me looking.

Then, something happened.

I felt him before I saw him.

A tickle traveled down my spine and sent my stomach stirring as the feel of someone watching me caused me to look up and into mysterious hazel eyes. I looked away.

For the two seconds I got a good look at him, I could clearly tell that his impressively toned body was covered in tattoos, which was already a warning sign.

My spine was still tingling as I turned around in the stool and quickly downed my other tequila shot, leaving me empty handed.

"You want anymore?" Rudy came back to stand in front of me as she rested her elbows on the wooden counter top.

I said no, already feeling a bit light headed. "Do me a favor and don't let me drink anymore tonight?"

Rudy laughed at my current state.

Then all of a sudden I felt her hands in my long, pitch black, wavy hair. "God, I love your hair!"

I smiled boldly at her. "Thanks! I did it myself!"

She laughed again and dropped her arms back to the bar as she looked away from me for a moment, then a smirk lit up her features. "I think someone's checking you out."

I did not have to turn around to know who she was talking about. Heck, I did not want to turn around and face him again. A tight smile etched my lips. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, don't act like you didn't notice." She shot me a knowing glance. "Reese, over there, could make any girl's panties drop with just a look."

My shoulders shrugged carelessly. "Doesn't matter much to me..."

"Mmh." Her smirk grew wider as she looked past me once more and lowered her voice. "He's coming over here."

Panic instantly seized the pit of my gut and without wasting another second, I snatched my wallet up, dashed off of the stool and out of bar as quick as a bullet.

Men like him were too dangerous for girls like me.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.