Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Sometimes love isn't right or wrong, it just is... 




Author's Chapter Notes:

Ok, so I know some of you are awaiting part 2 of Lovers' Dance. I was working through my edits and decided I hated the darn story (hopefully this is fleeting) as such I went back to my loyal preternatural genre and while bouncing between my stories I wrote this one-off. Hope you get some form of enjoyment from it.

K.

 

UPDATE: Heart of Lies coming soon!!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Arric  rose  quietly  from  the  bed,  his  gaze  lingered  on  his  sleeping  mate.  Making  no  sound  he  slid  out  the  warm  comforts  of  their  sheets  and  reached  for  the  clothing  he'd  discarded  what  seemed  like  days  ago.  It  had  only  been  a  few  hours,  yet  the  time  he  spent  with  her  felt  as  if  there  was  no  end.  Both  a  blessing  and  a  curse.  He  got  dressed  as  quickly  as  possible,  casting  furtive  glances  at  the  bed,  praying  she  remained  in  her  slumber.  His  inner  wolf  whined,  protesting  the  imminent  separation  from  its  mate,  albeit  temporarily.  The  moon  had  made  one  full  cycle  since  she  had  broken  the  news  she  was  expecting.  Their  first  child,  eagerly  anticipated  by  his  parents,  by  their  people.  The  lineage  of  Raven  Rock  pack  was  enduring,  and  his  child  would  one  day  sit  upon  the  throne  as  he  did.

He  was  Ulfric,  the  title  happily  bestowed  upon  him  three  years  ago  when  his  father  stepped  down  from  his  seat  of  power.  The  enormity  of  ruler-ship  had  not  fazed  him,  it  was  his  birth  right  and  he  had  been  raised  with  the  knowledge  that  one  day  his  word  would  be  law.  Arric  knelt  down  beside  the  bed,  hand  searching  underneath  it  until  his  fingers  closed  around  the  small  wooden  box.  Gripping  it  tightly  he  rose  to  his  feet  and  sighed  softly,  perhaps  this  gift  would  turn  the  tide  in  his  favour.  He  spared  another  glance  at  his  sleeping  mate.  Soraya.  Her  beauty  and  strength  had  caught  the  eyes  of  many  eager  wolves,  but  she  only  had  eyes  for  him.  She  was  Lupa  to  his  Ulfric,  a  true  mated  pair.  Both  alphas,  both  determined  to  protect  their  pack,  yet  he  had  fought  so  hard  to  resist  the  bond  between  them.  Fought  and  lost,  and  now  she  was  carrying  his  child.  With  one  last  glance  at  his  sleeping  mate  he  crept  from  their  room,  wishing  things  could  be  different  but  resigned  to  the  reality  of  his  situation.  A  werewolf  could  not  refuse  its  mate,  it  was  impossible.

"And  where  are  you  off  too?"  Thaddeus  called  from  the  shadows  when  Arric  stepped  into  the  dimly  light  hallway.

"Is  it  any  concern  of  yours?"  Arric  growled  at  his  Beta.  They  were  as  different  as  night  and  day,  but  as  close  as  brothers.  Arric  had  lost  count  of  the  many  times  each  had  saved  the  other's  life.  He  stalked  down  the  hallway  and  Thaddeus  followed  much  to  his  annoyance.

"She  won't  speak  to  you,  far  less  look  at  you,"  Thaddeus  drawled  as  he  fell  into  step  with  him.  "Let  her  be,  Arric."

"Why  are  you  not  overseeing  the  patrols?"  Arric  shot  back  tersely.  "Although  there  is  peace  we  must  remain  vigilant.  Shall  I  replace  you  as  my  Beta?"

Thaddeus  chuckled  under  his  breath,  knowing  there  was  no  one  strong  enough  to  usurp  him  from  his  lofty  position.  "Try  it,  Ulfric.  Your  mother  would  have  your  pelt."

Against  his  will  a  small  laugh  fell  from  Arric's  lips.  His  mother  was  overly  fond  of  the  silver-haired  werewolf  at  his  side.  Then  he  sighed,  frustrated  at  the  circumstances  that  had  brought  him  to  this  stage.

"It  has  been  six  full  moons,  she  cannot  stay  mad  forever."  He  replied,  hoping  he  was  right.

Thaddeus  shook  his  head.  "You  of  all  people  should  know  her  anger  never  dissipates.  It  dwells  within  her  like  a  sickly  rot,  poisoning  what  little  goodness  she  has  left  inside  that  cold  body  of  hers."

In  an  instant  Arric  had  his  closest  friend  against  the  stone  wall,  green  eyes  bleeding  to  amber.  "She  is  not  cold  and  it  would  serve  you  well  to  remember  what  she  means  to  me."

Thaddeus  pushed  him  back,  snorting  in  anger.  "Be  calm,  Arric.  I  meant  no  insult,  but  Odin's  beard!  You  are  now  mated  with  Soraya,  she  is  expecting  your  pup  and  is  the  new  Lupa  of  our  pack.  Do  you  mean  to  humiliate  your  Queen?"

"I  care  not  about  that."  Arric  spat  out,  resuming  his  strides  down  the  empty  hallway.

"You  should  care,"  Thaddeus  replied  in  growing  anger.

Arric  growled  low  in  his  throat,  reminding  Thaddeus  who  was  Ulfric  by  the  sound.

"Leave  her  be,  Arric."  Thaddeus  warned  softly.  "I  have  spoken  to  her  and  she  does  not  wish  to  see  you."

"When  did  you  speak  to  her?"  Arric  asked,  his  wolf  padded  beneath  the  surface  of  his  human  form,  sensing  a  threat  and  ready  to  destroy  it.

Thaddeus  cleared  his  throat  nervously.  "She  sometimes  dines  with  me - unhand  me!"

Arric  fought  against  his  wolf's  desire  to  cause  damage,  to  kill.  Slowly,  he  released  his  friend  and  moved  back  a  few  paces.

"She  means  a  lot  to  me  also,  Arric,"  Thaddeus  said  sadly.  "And  it  hurts  me  to  see  her  like  this.  You  should  never  have  marked  her  as  your  own  when  you  knew  it  could  never  be.  She  is  not  one  of  us.  You  knew  this,  yet  you-"

"Do  you  think  I  do  not  know  this?"  Arric  hissed  between  clenched  teeth.  "Do  you  think  I  do  not  wish  things  could  be  different?"

Thaddeus  sighed,  knowing  the  pain  they  were  both  in  and  unable  to  help  in  any  way.  "Leave  her  be,  Arric."

Arric  took  a  ragged  breath,  holding  the  box  close  to  his  chest.  "I  can't.  I  wish  I  could  but  I  can't,  Thaddeus."  He  shook  his  head  and  walked  away.  Tonight  he  would  make  her  speak  to  him,  tonight  he  would  make  her  forgive  him...

 

Arric  opened  the  door  quietly  and  slipped  inside  the  spacious  room.  His  gaze  went  straight  to  the  large  windows,  knowing  she  would  be  there.  Her  scent  filled  his  nostrils  and  he  inhaled  deeply,  ashamed  at  himself  for  needing  her  so  much.  But  he  could  not  let  her  go.  She  was  his.

"I  wish  to  share  your  bed  tonight."  He  said  firmly,  walking  towards  her. 

She  refused  to  turn  from  the  window,  her  attention  locked  on  the  night's  sky.  Her  night  gown  flowing  like  a  white  river  around  her  frame.  The  bright  moonlight  illuminated  her  face,  danced  over  her  bare  arms  as  she  undid  the  catch  before  flinging  the  panes  open  and  allowing  a  rush  of  cold  air  in. 

"Go  away,  Ulfric."  She  said  in  a  tired  voice. 

Arric's  heart  simultaneously  burst  with  joy  at  her  speaking  to  him,  and  ached  at  her  unfriendly  words.

"Lyssa,"

"Go  away."  she  repeated  as  she  turned  to  face  him.  "I  want  you  to  go  away.  Go  back  to  your  mate  and  leave  me  be,  Ulfric."

Arric  gazed  upon  her  like  a  starving  man.  Her  dark  brown  eyes  giving  off  an  inhuman  glow  as  she  tossed  her  head  back,  causing  her  curly  hair  to  bounce  around  her  shoulders.  He  wanted  to  touch  her,  could  feel  himself  closing  the  distance  between  them  without  conscious  thought. 

"I  brought  you  something,"  he  said,  holding  out  the  box. 

She  made  no  move  to  take  it,  instead  she  fiddled  with  the  talisman  around  her  neck.  Lyssa  noted  the  tightening  of  his  mouth.  Knew  he  despised  the  magic  that  kept  her  thoughts  from  his.  The  talisman  was  a  godsend,  without  it  she  would  have  welcomed  her  first  and  second  death  gladly.  A  living  vampire,  that  was  what  she  was.  A  living  vampire  secreted  away  with  the  Lycans  for  as  long  as  she  could  remember.  Raised  as  one  of  them  yet  always  knowing  she  was  different.  The  Raven  Rock  pack  had  been  kind  to  her,  and  her  Uncle.  They  had  kept  them  safe  for  all  these  years,  but  things  changed  and  she  knew  it  was  time  for  her  to  leave  the  safety  of  this  land  and  find  a  new  life  for  herself.  The  life  she  thought  she  could  have  here  was  nothing  more  than  a  childish  illusion.  Her  stare  never  wavered  as  she  observed  the  man  she  loved  with  every  fibre  of  her  being.  Her  wolf-king.  A  low  hiss  eased  past  her  lips.  He  was  no  longer  hers.  Instead  he  had  mated  with  Soraya,  impregnated  her,  made  her  his  queen,  and  reminded  Lyssa  of  her  place. 

Outsider.  Demon  spawn.  Blood  hag.  Soul  stealer.  Death.  All  the  names  she  knew  many  whispered  behind  her  back.  She  was  not  one  of  them,  but  she  could  not  join  the  vampires  either.  To  do  so  would  be  a  fate  worse  than  two  deaths!  Living  vampires  were  a  rare  commodity.  There  were  only  a  handful  of  them  left  in  existence.  They  would  breed  her,  breed  her  continuously  to  make  more  living  vampires  before  her  first  death.  Then  once  she  truly  was  undead  they  would  breed  her  one  last  time  to  make  a  creature  so  foul-

"It  will  never  happen."  Arric  assured  her,  placing  the  wooden  box  on  the  window  sill.  "Even  with  this,"  He  fingered  the  talisman  around  her  neck.  "Even  though  you  hide  your  thoughts  from  me,  I  still  know  them.  Lyssa,  my  heart,  let  me  stay  with  you  tonight.  Do  not  send  me  away.  I  love-"

"No,"  She  moved  away  from  him,  putting  some  much  needed  distance  between  them.  They  were  bound  in  a  way  no  one  understood.  Lycan  and  vampire,  the  fury  of  life  in  contrast  to  the  cold  touch  of  death.  He  had  marked  her  first,  not  Soraya;  and  he  had  been  her  first  blood.  Perhaps  it  was  fate's  way  of  saying  they  were  all  doomed.  Such  a  love  was  never  meant  to  be.  They  had  been  foolish  in  their  youth.

"Never  speak  those  words  to  me,  Ulfric." 

Arric  was  suddenly  in  front  her,  moving  with  a  blur  of  speed  that  had  her  pressed  against  the  hardness  of  his  body  as  his  arms  curled  around  her.  "Say  my  name."

"No."

"Lyssa,"  His  voice  was  a  deep  bass,  the  beast  inside  him  woke.  Scenting  and  confused.  This  was  its  true  mate,  this  barely  warm  form  with  the  dark  skin  and  dark  eyes  and  wild  hair.  But  it  did  not  smell  of  wolf,  it  was  not  pack.  Arric  took  a  deep  breath  to  calm  his  wolf.  "Say  my  name."

"No,"  she  whispered,  eyes  glowing  with  power.  "You  chose  her,  you  swore  you  wouldn't,  yet  she  carries  your  babe  inside  her.  She  is  Lupa  to  your  Ulfric,  and  I  am  leaving." 

Lyssa  easily  broke  his  embrace  and  with  inhuman  strength  flung  him  clear  across  the  room.  Arric  landed  in  a  crouched  position,  growling  in  anger  as  she  backed  up  until  her  hand  bumped  into  the  table  where  her  most  prized  possession  lay.  It  was  his  sword,  the  blade  of  the  rightful  heir  and  passed  from  one  generation  to  the  next.  He  had  given  it  to  her  the  night  he  made  her  his.  The  night  they  claimed  each  other  for  eternity.

"I  will  not  let  you  leave,"  The  gravelly  tone  of  his  voice  a  warning  that  his  wolf  was  rising  to  the  surface.  "You  are  mine  and  I  will  not  lose  you."

"I  belong  to  no  one."  She  said  coldly,  drawing  the  sword  from  its sheath.  "You  showed  me  that  when  you  took  a  mate."

"Will  you  kill  me?"  he  asked,  still  crouched.  "With  my  own  sword?"

"It  is  my  sword  and  I  will  slice  you  open  if  you  come  at  me."  she  replied.  "If  it  is  death  you  seek,  I  will  happily  oblige."

Arric  smiled.  She  was  his  fierce  warrior,  and  deadly  with  that  sword.  His  smile  died  as  he  pondered  her  words  and  her  stance.  She  meant  it.  He  rose  to  his  feet,  holding  his  hands  upwards.  He  knew  what  she  was  capable  of,  had  made  it  his  goal  years  ago  to  ensure  she  was  skilled  in  all  weaponry  so  she  could  protect  herself  from  harm.  Never  did  he  think  she  would  draw  a  sword  in  anger  on  him  though.

"Lyssa,  her  wolf  called  to  mine."  He  began  to  explain  for  what  seemed  the  hundredth  time.  "You  have  lived  with  us  since  before  you  could  walk,  you  know  what  happens  between  wolves.  I  tried,  my  love,  I  resisted  for  so  long  but  my  wolf  felt  her  call  and  I  had  to  answer."

"I  know  what  happens,"  she  sneered,  holding  the  sword  in  preparation.  "And  I  know  you  enjoyed  your  mating.  I  felt  it,  Arric!  Had  you  no  thought  for  my  feelings?  Knowing  we  are  bound  in  an  inexplicable  way,  you  did  not  even  care  enough  to  shield  me  from  your  union  with  Soraya.  You  were  so  eager  to  mount  your  bitch  that  you  did  not  even  shield."  The  glow  dimmed  in  her  eyes  as  her  mouth  trembled  slightly.  "Why  would  you  force  me  to  experience  that?  Why?"

The  shock  he  felt  made  his  usual  high  temperature  plummet.  He  had  not  known  his  Lyssa  had  felt  his  thoughts  when  he  first  mated  with  Soraya.  Why  did  he  think  the  intensity  of  his  coupling  with  his  wolf  mate  would  have  blocked  his  unusual  mental  connection  to  his  vampire  love?  He  was  a  fool.  It  was  no  surprise  she  had  fled  the  safety  of  their  home  with  her  Uncle  six  months  ago  to  find  the  talisman  she  now  wore.  Odin's  heart!  He  was  such  a  fool.

"Lyssa,"  he  called  in  a  voice  hoarse  with  pain.  "Oh  my  love,  forgive  me."

"She's  Lupa  now,  queen  of  the  pack  and  she  hates  me,"  Lyssa  said.  "She's  always  hated  me,  because  she  knew  you  were  her  mate."  The  first  tears  fell  from  her  eyes.  "But  I  ignored  her  because  you  were  mine - I  thought  you  were  mine.  You  marked  me,  you  let  me  mark  you,"  She  straightened  her  shoulders  and  glared  at  him.  "I  am  a  vampire  and  you  are  Lycan.  I  was  a  fool  but  no  more,  Ulfric.  Leave  before  I  make  you  leave."

"No."  Arric  slowly  made  his  way  towards  her.  "I  am  yours,  Lyssa,  since  we  were  children,  I  have  always  been  yours,"  He  touched  the  tip  of  the  sword,  pressing  it  down.  "No  wolf's  bond  can  break  our  connection.  No  Lycan,  vampire,  warlock,  succubi,  no  being  on  this  earth  can  make  me  stop  loving  you.  I  am  sorry,  my  love.  Forgive  me."  He  fell  to  his  knees,  face  wet  with  tears  as  he  looked  up  at  her  beauty.  His  eyes  bled  to  amber  as  she  dropped  the  sword  and  stroked  a  soft  hand  through  his  shoulder  length  brown  hair.  Her  touch  caused  the  wolf  inside  him  to  pace  its  mental  confines.  This  was  its  true  mate.  It  was  not  Lycan,  the  wolf  could  not  understand  that  part,  but  it  understood  belonging.  This  being  belonged  with  it. 

Lyssa  helped  him  to  his  feet  and  led  him  to  her  bed.  They  laid  together,  simply  holding  each  other  as  the  moon  made  its  way  slowly  across  the  sky.

"I  will  love  you  always."  She  whispered  as  the  power  in  her  gaze  seduced  him  into  a  relaxed  state.  He  knew  she  was  willing  him  to  sleep,  and  as  Ulfric  he  could  fight  her  powers  with  his  own;  but  he  chose  not  to.  She  willed  him  to  sleep  in  her  arms  and  for  the  first  time  in  six  full  moons  Arric  was  at  peace. 

When  he  woke  it  was  to  an  empty  bed.  Without  opening  his  eyes  he  knew  she  was  not  there,  he  could  not  smell  her,  nor  hear  her  heartbeat.  Arric  climbed  off  the  bed,  a  smile  on  his  face  as  he  hurried  to  the  door.  She  would  be  with  the  young  pups,  she  always  spent  her  mornings  with  the  young  ones.  Today  he  would  speak  to  Soraya,  remind  her  of  his  first  and  ever-enduring  love  for  Lyssa.  As  Ulfric  his  word  was  law  and  he  had  upheld  his  part.  The  Lupa  was  with  child,  their  pack  safe,  the  kingdom  in  peace.  He  had  done  his  part.  Now  he  could  be  with  his  true  mate  and  no  one  would  dare  question  it.

As  he  exited  her  room,  he  came  face  to  face  with  Thaddeus  and  Lyssa's  Uncle.  The  old  vampire  looked  weak,  stricken  in  fact.

"She's  gone."  Thaddeus  spoke  first.

Arric  shook  his  head,  stepping  back  into  the  room.  "No.  She  would  never  leave  me."

"Ulfric,"  Thaddeus  produced  a  sword  from  behind  his  back.  Arric's  heart  fell  when  he  recognized  the  blade.  Thaddeus  knelt  before  him,  sword  held  above  his  lowered  head.  "My  King,  she  wished  to  return  this,  for  your  sons  she  said."

"No."  Arric  felt  the  world  closing  in  on  him.  She  would  not  have  left  him.  "No.  You  lie.  Where  is  she?"

"She  is  gone."  Thaddeus  said  with  finality.

Arric  howled,  one  long  torturous  sound  that  bounced  off  the  walls  and  caused  a  chorus  of  answering  howls  to  ripple  through  the  castle.  His  people  heard  his  pain  and  the  noise  of  guards  rushing  towards  the  room  filled  the  hallway.

He  turned  towards  the  window  as  he  took  the  sword  from  Thaddeus.  His  friend  reached  out  to  comfort  him  but  Arric  stepped  back.

"I  will  find  Lyssa  and  bring  her  back.  It  is  not  safe  for  her  outside  our  lands."  He  said  with  determination.

"Arric,"  Thaddeus  began  to  reason.  "Think  of  your  Lupa,  she  is  with  child-"

"Soraya  is  safe,  my  Lyssa  is  not.  I  cannot  live  without  her,  Thaddeus,"  Arric  said  right  before  he  spun  on  his  heels  in  a  blur  of  speed  and  jumped  out  the  windows.  His  wolf  howled,  the  sound  pouring  out  from  his  human  lips  as  he  ran  like  a  being  possessed.  He  felt  the  press  of  others  close  on  his  trail.  Thaddeus  would  follow  him  wherever  he  went  without  a  doubt.  Arric  ran  even  faster  as  he  picked  up  the  faint  traces  of  her  scent.  She  would  head  towards  the  river,  to  throw  them  of  her  scent.  He  moved  like  lightening,  unleashing  his  power,  sending  it  out,  seeking  her  thoughts  through  the  bonds  they  shared.

I  am  coming  for  you,  Lyssa.  He  sent  the  furious  mental  message  to  her,  moments  later  her  sad  laughter  ran  through  his  mind.

Oh,  my  wolf,  you  couldn't  catch  me  if  you  tried...












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.