Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The drinks were served left and right as the empty glasses were being piled on by the minute. There were cocktails and French food and melodic music that could be heard throughout the entire mansion. It was clear to the people attending the party that it wasn't your typical gathering.

All of the extravagant decorations and attentive service to the guests was a symbol of the wealth and status that my soon to be husband loved to put on display.

Raising the glass of champagne to my lips, I almost purred as the liquid hit my tongue. The taste of champagne always helped me to relax. At this lavish party, the same party celebrating my engagement, I found myself extremely uncomfortable.

My fiancé's rich co-workers and friends weren't exactly the most down to Earth people in Charleston, South Carolina. They certainly didn't accept me, the local bartender, into their social group.

Not that I could blame them. These people were used to a certain lifestyle that I had never seen been exposed to. At least not before Liam snuck his way into my life.

I was casually leaning against the railing outside on the balcony. It was my only escape from the mass of judge mental people waiting for me inside. I had reached my full of their disapproving glares and inappropriate whispers about me. I was almost tempted to walk away from them but decided against it when I remember who exactly I was marrying.

Liam Xavier Sullivan.

Most people knew him as the most successful defense attorney in all of Charleston. There wasn't a time when he had ever lost a case. He was well respected and known by everyone who's anyone in South Carolina.

Some women were attracted to his status and money. But most women were attracted to his looks. He stood at 6'2 with smoldering green eyes and curly blonde hair. He was young for a lawer, only thirty-two and he had a body that could challenge the likes of Channing Tatum.

Liam was a caring man who loved to give back to his community and never judged those who weren't as fortunate as him. My only question was, how did I ever get so lucky?

I was a bartender for Christ sakes. I had no intentions of going to College and no aspirations for my career. I simply had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Not only was I dirt poor compared to Liam and his "friends," I wasn't exactly Charleston's typical beauty queen that most of the rich men viewed as acceptable.

Whereas Charleston's opinion of beauty was tall, lanky, gorgeous blondes…. I was the exact opposite. I stood at 5'4 with enough curves to give around. My hair was kinky and curly, my eyes a dull brown though slightly almond shaped. And my skin was probably what bothered these people most of all… I wasn't exactly fully black but I certainly wasn't fully white either. I was the color of peanut butter to be accurate. And I felt like these people hated me for snagging their most eligible bachelor. Most people used the excuse that I was too "young" for him at only twenty-five. But I knew the real reason why they never accepted me.

"Faith?" A deep baritone called my name in the distance.

I plastered a fake smile on my face before facing my fiancé. "Yes, Liam?"

It took him a matter of seconds to separate the distance between us. He slid his arm around my waist and licked his lips as he watched me.

"You're being a poor host." He chided gently.

I gave him a pout and rested my hand against the hard planes of his chest. "I thought you were the host… I'm just another one of these dozens of nameless faces in the crowd."

The backs of his fingers gently stroked the side of my face. "Your face speaks an abundance of beauty that not even the likes of these people can ignore."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "If only that were true."

He silenced me with his lips. His firm, gentle lips coaxed me until I was nothing but a warm puddle in his strong arms. The kiss was teasing and left a promise of what was to come.

We pulled away too soon for my liking. "There's something I'd like to get your take on." His hand guided down my arm until he reached my hand, where he intertwined our fingers.

I pursed my lips in thought. "No, I will not stick my finger in your butt hole no matter how effectively you beg me." I teased him with a smirk.

His deep chuckle sounded. "I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that."

"Seriously though…" I gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "What is it?"

"You remember when I mentioned my younger brother, Matt?" I nodded my head dumbly. Matt Sullivan was only twenty-nine. Considering he was younger than Liam, Matt had a tendency of earning the title of the "black sheep" of the family.

He served in the Navy for eight years, which made his family extremely proud. But after his eighth year, he refused to go back. And ever since then he could never keep a steady job and he never settled down in one place. His family viewed him as irresponsible and his once noble identity had been trashed.

"The former Navy Seal? Yes, I remember."

"Well…" Liam sighed deeply and a look of concern mirrored his face. "I want him to come live with us… At least until he gets back on his feet."

I shrugged without giving it much thought. "He's your brother and this is your house, I don't think there's much to discuss."

"You wouldn't mind?" He raised his blonde brows suspiciously.

A mock grin crossed my glossed lips. "Of course not. Your house. Your rules."

His thumb smoothed across the skin of my hand. "Our house. Our rules." He corrected.

"You can hardly say it's "ours" when I have yet to pay a single bill." I objected.

His grin lit his green eyes. "Maybe we should work on that. Wanna pay half the mortgage?"

"Considering I don't even make in a year what the mortgage costs, I'm gonna have to pass on that one."

He chuckled, "Yeah, I didn't think so."

I rolled my eyes and slapped his chest.

"Oww." He teased, pulling me against his body and caging me between his arms. "Did I tell you how unbelievably beautiful you look in this dress?" He whispered softly against my lips, his breath fanning my face.

I smiled at the compliment. The dress I had bought the previous night was a sheer green and fit my curves perfectly. Even I had to admit, I felt beautiful.

"Thanks, baby." I leaned in to peck his lips just as a throat clearing interrupted us.

Liam and I pulled away from each other and I looked up to find a strikingly handsome man staring awkwardly at us.

When I said this man was "strikingly handsome" I really meant he was gorgeous. Gorgeous in a strong, silent, dangerous type of way. His hair was semi-long, reaching his eyes and passing his ears with a dark brown coloring to it. He stood at least at 6'5 with broad shoulders, a wide chest, and huge biceps. Tattoos covered his arms and the little piece of skin I could see at the top of his chest. This man's most dazzling feature had to be his eyes. They were a vivid shade of blue with just a hint of green in them. Like the Ocean.

I instantly found myself attracted to him which made my predicament even more awkward considering I was standing a foot away from my fiancé.

"Matt!" Liam's voice held mild surprise and I tried not to hyperventilate at the fact that this man who is every woman's wet dream just happened my fiancé's younger brother. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't going to get here until Sunday."

Matt simply shrugged his shoulders. "I got on an early flight. Hope that isn't an inconvenience." He wore a stylish grey t-shirt with denim jeans and black combat boots. His only accessory was a dog tag that hung from his neck.

"No. Not at all. You're just in time for our engagement party… Speaking of that, this my fiancé, Faith." Matt's eyes fell onto mine and I held my breath at the sight of those beautiful orbs. "Faith, meet my brother, Matt."

Instantly, I plastered on a smile and extended my hand toward him. "It's nice to meet you, Matt."

"You too." He was hesitant but he eventually took my hand. When his rough, calloused hand took mine, I felt an abundance of shivers travel down the length of my spine.

Quickly, I took my hand back and dropped it at my side.

"Why don't I show you to your new room?" Liam's eyes lit up and I could sense that he had missed his long forgotten brother. Looking at them standing in front of one another, their physical appearances were completely opposite. Whereas Liam held lightness, Matt held darkness. And even though Matt was considered the younger brother, he was clearly much bigger.

"Sounds good." Matt stuck his hands in his Jeaned pockets and allowed Liam to lead him back into the house.

Once they were completely out of sight, I allowed myself to finally breathe. It felt like the first time I had caught my breath all night.






Chapter End Notes:

Tell me what you think!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.