Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 Her alarm started blaring loudly at 5 am. Carrine reached blindly from beneath her blankets trying in vain to make the sound go away.

"Get up bitch" she heard through the door.

She groaned out loud, still swinging her arm around trying desperately to hit the snooze button.

She heard her door slowly creak open "You might as well get up. I hid your alarm clock somewhere in here last night while you were sleeping and if you want it off you're going to have to find it" her roommate and best friend Amira said in and annoying sing-song voice as she shut the door. With a frustrated growl she threw the blankets off of her body and sprang from the bed. Still groggy she tossed things in every direction angrily searching "When I find you, I'm going to kill you" she threatened. Carrine followed the sound to her closet, she threw the door open and found it stuck inside one of her boots in the back. She grabbed it and turned it off.

"I hate you" she said staring at the now silent clock.

"Talking to inanimate objects is not a good look for you honey" Amira said as she watched quietly from the door, a small smile on her face.

"I hate you too" Carrine said as she headed back to her bed, tossing the clock in the trashcan in the process.

"No you don't" she said grabbing the clock out of the trash and gingerly placing it on the bedside table. "Where would you be without little ole' me?" she drawled in her best southern accent.

"Sleeping at 5 in the morning, on a fucking Saturday, for one thing" she said as she rolled over turning her back to her friend.

"So angry!" Amira said laughing

"You would be too if you were woken up with a creepy game of hide and seek at the butt crack of dawn. What is this, Saw?" Carrine grumbled as she pulled a pillow over her head and snuggled back in her blankets.

"Oh damn! I can't believe I forgot to set up the razor blade maze" Amira said snapping her fingers

"You're so funny." Carrine said sarcastically.

"Come on Cari, we are going hiking! You have flaked on me 3 weekends in a row now," Amira said lying down on Carrine's bed. "I promise its going to be fun and it's so beautiful out there. Watching the sun wake everything up, feeling everything come alive". she said dreamily. 

Carrine had to smile listening to her friend. She was such a weird, crazy hippie but she had to have one the most pure souls. She was a beautiful person and throughout their friendship Carrine always felt an overwhelming need to protect her.

"Ami, normally I'd be right there with you but you know I had class all day yesterday and I worked late at the bar, I'm exhausted" Carrine said.

"I know stupid, we have pretty much the same schedule remember?" she said amused. 

"That's right!' Carrine said sitting up now wide awake "Why are you so fucking chipper?"

"I don't know." Amira said sighing "The sky's awake, so I'm awake, so we have to play!" 

"Oh my god Ami! Do not quote Frozen at me!" Carrine said laughing. "I'm hiding the DVD from you."

Amira laughed and then said with all seriousness "Do it and I'll hide your Hitachi."

"NOOOO! Damn Ami you don't play fair. I have killed people for less you know" 

"Don't start none, won't be none Cari." she laughed, "Seriously though today just feels like a good day, like something really good is going to happen if we go out." she said.

"How very perceptive of you, Amina Renee" Carrine said as she attempted to lie back down.

Amina grabbed her arm and pulled her back up "You just watch. Now, get out of this bed Carrine Marla" she said knowing how much she hated her middle name.

"Ugh, low blow man" Carrine said wincing.

"For real though dude we have had a long and stressful week, this is necessary so we don't lose our minds. We'll do some yoga and greet the sun as it rises, it will be so invigorating" Amina said standing from the bed.

"Hiking and yoga!? Can't we greet the sun at 10, flower child?" Carrine whined.

Amina stared at her for a second and said " If you aren't up and dressed in 5 minutes, you'll be sorry."

"Ok mom!" Carrine said smartly. She laughed as she heard her friend muttering some not so nice things as she left the room.

Carrine sighed deeply as she stood from her bed and began to dress. As annoying as it was there was nothing she wouldn't do for her friend. She smiled as she remembered the moment they met.

 

(Flashback)

Carrine was sitting alone at the lunch table with only a small bag of crackers to eat, her eyes sad and staring downward. She heard the chair next to her scrape across the floor as someone pulled it out. "Here" a small cheery voice said placing a sandwich and a thermos cup with juice in front of her. Carrine looked up into the bright brown eyes of a girl she recognized from her class. Carrine looked at the sandwich and back to the girl "What are you doing?" she asked puzzled.

"Eating lunch with you" the little girl replied.

"Why are you giving me your food" Carrine asked suspiciously not used to people being kind to her.

"Cause you're my best friend" the little girl said confused as to why Carrine was asking. She then smiled and said "I'm Amira Renee Cortez".

Carrine looked at Amira like she was crazy "You're not my best friend, I don't know you."

Amira whispered to her "I had a dream and we're gonna be best friends forever, you'll see OK?"

Carrine stared at her for a long time and then whispered "Ok."

Amira smiled and asked "What's your name?"

"My name is Carrine Matthews" she replied

"What's your middle name?" Amira asked sweetly

"I don't want to tell you. I don't like it." Carrine said looking down embarrassed

"It's OK" Amira said "We're best friends I will never laugh at you."

"Its Marla"Carrine said

Amira started to laugh.

Carrine immediately began to tear up "You said that...you wouldn't laugh, that we were best friends." 

Amira stopped laughing and pulled Carrine into a hug "I'm not laughing at you Carrine, I promise. I'm laughing cause you said you hate your name, I think it's pretty, like you."

Carrine wiped her eyes "You do?" she asked meekly

"Yup" Amira smiled.

 

(Flashback ends)

 

Carrine didn't have an easy life growing up and Amira had been there for her through some of the worst times, she never judged her or made her feel ashamed. She was always there when she needed her.

She sighed as she walked from her room to the kitchen " You are so lucky I love you Ami" she said

"I know" Amira beamed "just bear with me for a couple of hours Cari, I'm telling you something good is going to happen. I can feel it."

"Alright, alright, alright enough mysteries of the universe, lets go" Carrine said walking to the door.

"Who knows I might just have a surprise at the end of this day for you" Amira said sneakily 

Carrine looked back at her "Yeah, you better have something but first you better find a Starbucks. You're buying." 

Amira smile "Ok."

 






Chapter End Notes:

Thank you so much for reading! Please forgive e for any grammar or punctuation mistakes, I am new to this whole writing thing and just like my story I am a work in progress. Constructive criticism is encouraged and always welcome. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.