Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Listen, I don’t know why you two are bugging all of a sudden, but I’m really tired and I don’t have the energy to play this game.” I sat on the side of my bed, reaching into the first drawer of my nightstand to pull out my eye mask. “If you want to joke around, try again tomorrow and you may get a laugh out of me then. Probably not, but it’s more likely than getting me to laugh now. So please, excuse yourselves and let me go to sleep in peace.”

Nichelle started to leave, but Francesca blocked her way. “But we’re not kidding around. We really did buy you an escort. Didn’t you see the picture? Tell her, Shelly.”

“Chess, do me a favor. Shut up and move.” Nichelle started pushing her.

I put the eye mask over my head. “Make sure to hit the lights on your way out.”

“But we’re serious! His name is Ryan and he’ll be here tomorrow. He’s going to take you on a date for—”

Nichelle shoved her harder suddenly and hissed. “Why can’t you take a hint?”

I ignored everything they said until it clicked to me that Nichelle wasn’t denying her, but rather trying to quiet her. And Francesca didn’t appear to be trying to irritate her or me like the other times; she looked like she was legitimately trying to explain it. For a few seconds, the thought of her being honest came to mind. My heart rate sped up. No, no, no.

No.

“Nichelle, wait.” She’d almost had the struggling Francesca out the door at this point, but stopped. “Chess is lying. I mean, you two didn’t do that. That guy isn’t going to be here tomorrow…right?”

“I’m not lying!”

Nichelle remained silent.

“Nichelle.”

She turned to me finally with a straight face and crossed her arms. “He will.”

As soon as the words left her mouth, I felt my heart stop. I couldn’t process or speak for a moment. Francesca said something else, but I couldn’t hear her. The guy in that photo...would be here tomorrow? He was a…male escort? They bought me a male escort…

“Listen Jacq—”

Within seconds, the confusion and disbelief was replaced with rage. Blood boiling rage. I jumped up. “You guys hired a hooker for me?!”

Francesca nodded enthusiastically, seemingly oblivious to my anger and relieved I finally believed them. “A male hooker, yeah, basically.”

Nichelle slapped her arm. “No, not a male hooker. Just a date. We just bought a date for you, that’s all.”

“A date. From a male escort service. You bought me a male escort. You bought me a male hooker!”

“No, we didn’t; that’s not legal. We didn’t buy you a prostitute, Jacq. We would never do that.”

“Then what exactly did you pay him to do?”

“Spend time with you, drive you to work, take you to lunch, have some fun—just a date.”

“Right,” Francesca agreed and continued, “and if you wanted to sleep with him…”

Glaring, Nichelle hit her again.

“Ouch!” She whined and rubbed her arm. “I was just letting her know her options.”

“I could just—” I started mimicking strangling their necks and then punching the life out of their face. The more I thought about it, the more I wished I really was doing it. I couldn’t believe them. “You guys have done some crazy things in the past, but this—this takes the cake.”

“I don’t get it. Why are you mad? Is it because he’s not your type?” Francesca asked me, a now concerned expression on her face. “I knew we should’ve got Enzo; he looks just like William Levy.”

“Why am I mad? Why am I mad? I don’t know. Maybe because my two supposed best friends completely ignored me when I repeatedly said that I didn’t want to date or see anyone right now. And they didn’t find some guy through a mutual friend or anything like that, no, they went and paid for a prostitute!” I let out a frustrated sound and then plopped back on my bed, covering my face with my hands.

It was silent for a moment before Nichelle walked over and sat beside me. “Jacq. For one moment, just see things from our perspective. You’re single and you haven’t been out on a date in six months. You haven’t been your same old self in six months. Don’t get the wrong idea. We didn’t do this because we thought you needed a man. We did this because we wanted you to have a little fun and forget about Japheth. Ever since you two broke up, you haven’t been the same Jacqueline we know. And we know it’s been hard for you, but like we said in the taxi, it’s time to move on. You deserve to have a fun time with a handsome guy who will treat you nice.”

I was still mad, but as I let her words sink in, I felt the anger dissolving away. Was I really not my same old self? I mean, I know I’d been short with them lately and that I didn’t hang out as much, but that was because they were trying my patience more often. But then again, everything was more irritating to me, not just them.

I sighed. Maybe I was overreacting. I know they didn’t mean any harm; obviously they had good intentions behind their reasoning. That didn’t change the fact that I wasn’t ready to see anyone—especially a prostitute—but I suppose it could’ve been worse. “Yeah, okay, I guess.”

“And for the hundredth time, he’s not a prostitute. This is just a little fun and you’re not obligated to do anything you don’t want to. If you want him to read you a book the entire time, then that’s what he’ll do…but we certainly hope you’ll use him for more than just reading. He wasn’t cheap, after all.”

“If you don’t kiss him at least once, you’ll wasting our money and a perfectly good pair of lips,” Francesca said, walking closer.

I removed my hands from my face just in time for them to see me roll my eyes. “Whatever. I still think this is illegal somehow, and I know I’m going to regret saying this, but thanks, I guess.”

Francesca leaned in and hugged me tighter than necessary. “Aww, you’re welcome, Jacqui! We just want you to be happy!”

With a faint smile, Nichelle put the picture on my lap. “Tell the truth. We chose good, didn’t we?”

When Francesca released me, she grinned as though waiting for my answer too. I looked down at the picture again. He wasn’t the first guy I’d choose in a lineup, but that didn’t detract from his attractiveness. He was very handsome; I’d go so far as to say he could give Japheth a run for his money in a good looking competition…and maybe even beat him in the body portion of the contest. This guy wouldn’t make me all of sudden forget Japheth, but he might help me to draw a blank from time to time. I couldn’t help but to smile. “Japheth who?”

They started laughing and then, for no apparent reason, broke into dance. First, as if she all of a sudden started hearing music in her head, Francesca started doing the shmoney and it progressed into some made up dance where she was flailing her arms. Nichelle watched her for a moment, but then stood up and joined in, also flailing her arms and making up dance moves as she went. There was a time when I would’ve joined them, but for now I just watched, partially entertained by their nonsense and partially reaffirming my thought that I couldn’t take them anywhere.

When they finally stopped, Francesca turned back to me. “It was between Ryan and this guy named Enzo—he looks just like William Levy!”

Nichelle shook her head and gave me a look that said ‘no he didn’t’.

“But Nichelle said we should choose Ryan because he offered a special deal.”

“What deal?”

“Buy one week and get a week free. Isn’t that awesome?”

I was surprised that I wasn’t seeing the carpet, because I swear my eyes could’ve popped out of my head. “Two weeks?!”

As soon as I turned to Nichelle, she whipped her phone out of her pocket and pressed it against her ear. “Oh, hey Danny. No, I’m not busy. Talk right now, yeah, definitely.” She quickly told us goodnight and walked out of the room, leaving me alone with Francesca.

“That’s weird. I didn’t hear her phone ring, did you?” she asked.

“You guys expect me to see this guy for two whole weeks?!”

“Wasn’t it a great deal? I mean I still thought Enzo would’ve been the better choice but…” She must’ve saw the fire in my eyes that I knew was there, because she quickly trailed off and changed her tone. Looking away, she pulled out her phone as well. “Oh, look at that. I’m getting a call too. I have to take this; it’s very important. So I’ll see you tomorrow.” She stood up and pressed the phone against her ear as she hurriedly walked out. “Hello? Oh, hey...Obama. Talk now? Sure.”

.

.

I adjusted my orange dress nervously. The last time I’d been out with someone other than Japheth was at the very least three years ago. It almost felt foreign to me. Do I have to laugh at everything he says? Do I talk about myself or ask about him more? Do I use a soup spoon when we go out to eat to show that I’m cultured? I felt silly as all these questions came to mind. I wasn’t a pubescent teenager…and this wasn’t a date! As far as I could be concerned, this was just two people hanging out as friends. Nothing had to happen between us and to be honest, nothing probably would’ve anyway. I missed Japheth too much for that. We were together for three years and it was hard to imagine being with someone else. Especially not a hooker; even without my feelings for Japheth, I was too good for that.

“Hey, I’m Ryan.”

I jumped at the sound of a deep voice and snapped my head behind me. I was less than amused to find a snickering Nichelle standing in my doorway. God, sometimes she was worse than Francesca.

“Really?”

“Sorry. I couldn’t resist.”

“I'm sure.”

She walked over and stood next to me in front of the mirror on my closet door. Then she started checking herself out, doing simple poses. “What are you doing in here anyway? Ryan will be here soon.”

“Just making sure this dress isn’t too short.”

“It’s already below your knees. What do you want? To look like a nun?”

“I just don’t want to give off the wrong impression. I would be wearing pants and a T-shirt if you hadn’t told me we were going out today.”

“Hence why I had to tell you.” She rolled her eyes as she ran a few fingers through her hair. “Look, I already said you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. Just go have fun and see what happens. Who knows, you might even wish you wore something shorter.”

I gave her a look. “I doubt it; I’m not fast like some people.”

She cut her eyes at me briefly. “I’ll let that slide this time. Just get out there already or I’ll send him straight in here with candles and a Marvin Gaye CD.”

Knowing she wasn’t afraid to do what she said, I mumbled something profane under my breath and reluctantly walked out. I went to the living area where a cross legged Francesca was sitting on the couch and snaking on chips while watching television. She was so into what she was watching that she didn’t speak, not even after I sat down. I expected to see Scandal or Empire on the screen—something legitimately interesting enough to hold someone’s attention. But this was Francesca attention I was dealing with.

“Tell me I didn’t just see the words Finding Bigfoot flash across the screen just now.”

She held her index finger up to me for a long moment until it went to commercial break. Then she turned to me with curious eyes. “They almost caught him.”

Before I had the chance to question her sanity, the doorbell rang. Francesca volunteered immediately, shoving a few more Doritos in her mouth before jumping up. “I got it!”

“Can you say it a bit louder, Chess? I don’t think they heard you in Australia,” Nichelle hissed, leaning on the back of the couch.

Francesca didn’t hear the comment as she was already out the room on her way to the door, much to my relief; knowing her, she would’ve attempted to prove Nichelle wrong. I stood up and waited, denying any nervousness that tried to rear its ugly head. I was cool, calm, collected and in control. I heard a few words exchanged before Francesca walked back in by herself.

“Nichelle, it’s for you.”

Nichelle raised her eyebrow. “What? Who is it?”

“Luke.”

She looked confused. “Luke? Luke who?”

“Luke through the peephole and find out.” She started laughing. “Get it? It was a knock knock joke without the ‘knock knock’ part.” When Nichelle only stared at her, she started continued, “It’s really Ryan.”

Before either of us could respond to her foolishness, in walked the man himself with a slim fit tan suit on and navy tie. I couldn’t lie, he wore it well. In this case, instead of the clothes making the man, the man truly made the clothes. He looked a bit different from the picture though, making me think I didn’t get a good enough look at him. He was taller than I expected, at the very least 6’0, and his frame was smaller than I thought. His hair was styled slightly different, this time neatly combed upward instead of the messily. He also looked a bit older, but I attributed that to the thicker facial hair around his cheeks and chin. He looked more real—more devilish.

“Jacqueline Maxwell? I’m Ryan Schroeder.” His voice was mellow and easy on the ears.

When he started over, I stuck my hand out so that he wouldn’t get the chance to go in for a hug. “Hello.”

He stopped in front of me and took my hand. Instead of shaking it though, he kissed it. “It’s nice to meet you.”

I took my hand back quickly. “Likewise.”

I didn’t even notice he had one hand behind his back until he moved it forward, revealing a red rose. “A single rose, a single lady. Where do their comparisons end? They are both beautiful forms of life, on whose existence I depend. This flower produces oxygen and so I need it to breathe. Your beauty reminds me that there are still good things in this world and so I need you for my sanity. And I can’t forget about the symbolism. Red roses usually symbolize love. And you represent a goddess, on whose presence I’m undeserving of. I am only a man who probably sounds cliché, but I just wanted to wish you a very happy birthday.” He handed me the rose then. “Happy Birthday, Jacqui.”

I was taken by surprise at his sudden burst into poetry, but I recovered quickly. Francesca and Nichelle on the other hand were staring in awe. I swear, they could’ve been the posterchildren for the phrase ‘The thirst is real’. I mean, it was good, but I’d heard good poetry before. He probably copied it off the internet anyway.

“My birthday was yesterday, but thank you anyway.”

He nodded. “That’s what they said, but I figured an event as special as your birth deserved a celebration longer than one day.”

He was a smooth one. “…right.”

“With that being said, I wanted to take you out to eat. We have reservations at Harvest in about twenty minutes.”

“The morning?” Harvest was my favorite restaurant and I hadn’t been in almost a year, but who made reservations at a fancy restaurant in the morning? When Nichelle said we were going out to eat, I assumed it would be in a few hours, not when he first arrived at noon.

“Afternoon, technically.” He smiled. “And yeah, I thought we’d eat first and get to know each other better before we got to the rest of the day’s events.”

I frowned. Rest of the day’s events? Just how many events did he have planned? Or should I say how many events did Francesca and Nichelle plan for us? I know they had a hand in this. Out of all the restaurants to choose from, he just happened to choose my favorite one? Yeah right. They’re orchestrating this a little more closely than they made it seem. They probably told him my whole life story.

Wait a minute. Just what else did they tell him about me? My heart rate sped up as I thought about the worst possible scenario. No. They wouldn’t have told him about…

I shook my head at the thought and forced myself to get back on track. “And um, what would those events be?”

“Well if I told you, there’d be no surprise.”

“I’m not one for surprises.”

“Really?” He sounded genuine. “I would’ve never guessed, especially since you surprised me with that stunning dress you’re wearing.”

“You have a comeback for everything, don’t you?”

“What can I say? Words are my specialty…well, one of my specialties.”

And here comes the inner hooker. I rolled my eyes. Being annoyingly corny must’ve been one of his other specialties. It was right on the tip of my tongue too, but Francesca came over at that moment and gave me a light shove. “What are you waiting for? He said the reservation was in twenty minutes, and it’s going to take you fifteen alone to get there. Get out of here.”

I looked at her smiling face. “I’m already starting to regret this.”

“You won’t be saying that by the end of the day.”

“No, I’m pretty sure I will.”

She giggled and then shoved me again, but this time much harder and more forceful. Leaning over and trying not to lose my balance, I stumbled forward straight into Ryan’s stomach. Involuntarily I reached for something to hold onto before I fell completely. Unfortunately, that something was his pants. The front of his pants, to be more specific. If he didn’t have a belt on, they surely would’ve came down.

He didn’t even have the time to help stabilize me before I let go and pushed away. The only reason I didn’t tell Francesca off in that moment like I wanted to was because I was too busy standing back up properly and trying to maintain my composure.

“Are you alright?” Ryan asked, taking a step forward.

“Fine, fine,” I said quickly, backing away and smoothing my dress back out. “Let’s just go and get this over with.”

“Someone's being a little fast, don't you think Jacqui?” Though she only chuckled, Nichelle's eyes said she was laughing hysterically on the inside. “Try to control yourself. You’ve got all day.”

I flipped her off and then moved my hand in Francesca's direction, but that only seemed to encourage their laughter. With clenched teeth, I brushed past Ryan toward the door.






Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for the reviews. I'm glad you got a kick out of it and I hope the same can be said about this chapter. Next chapter will me more Ryan/Jacqui centric. Also I figure I'll keep the title after all; I couldn't come up with anything better anyway. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.