Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

John makes plans.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Time For a Change

 

 

Chapter 5    Resolve 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Crosby suggested that we meet at least once a week so that I can discuss things with him sooner rather than later.  So many things that I need to say and do.  My father’s death of course had a major impact on me and then Caitlin’s death just seemed to put the nail in the coffin on me expressing my feelings with anyone.  I thought that I tried to open up a little with Natalie but it wasn’t enough for her and she didn’t want to wait for me.  But in talking with Dr. Crosby I realize that it would not have worked anyway.  I was only reacting to the fallout of the FBI sting operation that resulted in Christian Vega’s ‘death’.  I felt that I had failed at my job and wanted to latch on to something or someone to regain my balance.  That was not love.  Then my time with Evangeline was refreshing.  I felt that I was opening up more but once again I was not. There was no way for either relationship to really work out because I was not capable of giving myself to either woman.  Was it love with Evangeline?  I don’t know. It was definitely more than ‘like’ and I felt that I was getting to know her and myself more and more each day. Our relationship didn’t have the weight of a botched FBI sting attached to it but it still had my noncommittal attitude to weigh it down.

 

So why now do I think that a relationship with Evangeline is what I want or need in my life?  That’s what Dr. Crosby asked me.  After having been in a relationship with her in which I could not commit why now after she has left town do I think that I need her in my life? Why?  Because I feel empty now that she is not around.  While she was in town, even though we weren’t together, I could at least see her and hear her sometimes when she came to the station or when I saw her around town.  She was still near and that gave me comfort.  But when I heard that she had left town if felt like the air left my body and I couldn’t think straight.  There was no hope for me left.  It may sound crazy but I had always hoped that one day we would find our way back to each other. 

 

Now I have to get myself together for myself.  I can’t be good for anyone if I’m not good for myself.  It will take time I know and I just hope and pray that when I do finish this therapy and have become a better John McBain that Evangeline will still be available to me.  She is a beautiful and caring person and just because I could not appreciate that and give her the love that she deserved doesn’t’ mean that some other man won’t see her value and claim her as his own. I just hope that I’m not too late. My future is Evangeline.  I know that I can’t rush the therapy to try to get to her before she falls for some other guy.  I must believe that we were meant to be.  She is it for me.  

 

Dr. Crosby has me doing scenario exercises.  He describes a scene to me and has me to put myself in it and tell him how I will react in each scene.  At first I thought that it was kind of stupid but now I notice that it helps me to see how my past affects my reactions today. I notice that in most of my reactions I try to emotionally distance myself when the scene actually calls for an emotional reaction.  Boy am I messed up.  Dr. Crosby offers encouragement that these observations prove helpful for me to make changes to how I react and act in certain situations and allows me to grow and learn about myself.  I resolve to get better for me and for my future with Evangeline.  Dr. Crosby gives me an assignment to find a picture that reflects how I see myself now.  I didn’t find a picture but I did find a few quotes that hit it on the mark, 

 

'FOR SALE: ONE HEART.  HORRIBLE CONDITION.  WILL TAKE ANYTHING FOR IT PLEASE.  JUST CUT IT OUT OF MY CHEST AND END THIS SUFFERING.'

 

'ONCE UPON A TIME I WAS FALLING IN LOVE, BUT NOW I'M ONLY FALLING APART.'

 

When he reads the quotes he asks me why did I choose these two as they reflect a loss of love.  I say that I feel a loss of love.  Evangeline has left and I feel lost.

 

“John if you felt this way about her why didn’t you ever tell her?”

 

“I don’t know. I just wanted her with me. I felt good and worth something when I was with her.”

 

“You do know that until you heal yourself you really have little to offer anyone else.”

 

“Yes I realize that now.  I want to get better so that I can have a better life but even more than for me I want a life with her.”

 

“You are making progress John I must say.  Let us continue the therapy but stay focused on getting you better before you rush off trying to have a romantic relationship with anyone.”

 

“I know Dr. Crosby, I know.  I need to get back to work.  I will see you next week.  Thank you for all of your help.”

 

“It’s my job John.  I am here to help you.”

 

I’m getting better I can feel it but I also feel something else. I can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s something inside of me just below the surface.  It’s a gentle tugging.  It’s not distracting but I feel it nevertheless.  It’s warmth inside of me that glows but doesn’t burn.

 

‘My favorite music is your voice.’

 

‘I want you, I want all of you, 

forever, every day. You and me, every day

I LOVE YOU

 

 

It soothes me and I hold on to it.  I don’t press upon it, I don’t nudge it, and I just leave it there.  It is hope. Hope that all will be resolved in my favor.






Chapter End Notes:

Not all goes as planned.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.