Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What hoops does John have to jump through to stay in Evangeline's good graces?  Of course she won't make it easy for him.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Time For a Change

 

Chapter 9    Progress

 

 

The move to the new city is effortless because I know what joys await me.  Bo was sad to see me go but he understood why I was leaving.  In an effort to not embarrass Evangeline or myself, I take dance classes and tennis lessons in preparation for my dates with Evangeline. Ballet and opera books have become my new best friends.  I will not give her any reason to reject me or question her decision to spend time with me.  It surprises me that I enjoy most of these things.  But ballet is not one of them.  We even play golf.  Now that is a major challenge for me so in between our golf outings I take golf lessons too.  With all of these lessons it was a wonder that I have time for work but I make time to do whatever she wants me to do. 

 

I settle into my new job and new apartment and feel good about how my life has taken a turn for the better.  Even my wardrobe has changed.  No longer is my closet filled with an over abundance of black outfits.  I have finally added a bit of color to the palette.  The first time that I met Evangeline for an opera date I wore a navy blue suit and a subdued striped tie and black shoes.  She did a double take to make certain that it was really John McBain standing before her.  She smiled and that brought a smile to my face.  She said, “the McBain moving up in the world”.

 

We spend time together as often as we can.  Her mother came to visit her a few months after we starting spending time together and Evangeline told me that she told her mother that I had relocated to this city.  Of course her mother was not pleased but Evangeline told her mother that it did not matter to her if her mother was pleased or not.  Evangeline also told me a bit more of her conversation with her mother.  She said that she told her mother that for too long she tried to please other people but no more.  Her opinion of her own actions was the only opinion that matters and ‘if it pleased her to spend time with John then she will spend time with John’. Her mother said nothing more on the subject.

 

-----------------------------------   

 

Six months into this ‘reconnection’ period I have to leave town for a week long training. Any other time I don’t mind attending training but this one comes at a very inopportune time.  Evangeline and I are making great progress in our relationship and spending practically every moment together but lately I’ve noticed a bit of hesitancy on her part.  I’m not sure how to address it but I don’t want to leave for this training without talking with her about it.  Maybe she has changed her mind about us and no longer wants a life with me. Tonight I will cook dinner for her at my apartment.  I will ask her then.

 

“Hi John, something smells good.  What are we having for dinner?”

 

“Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and apple pie for dessert.  Will that do?”

 

“That will do nicely, thank you.”

 

We sit for dinner and enjoy our meal.  Afterwards we retire to the living room to talk.

 

“Evangeline I have noticed in the last week or so that you have been a bit hesitant around me.  Have you changed your mind about us?”

 

“No John I haven’t.  I’m not hesitant because of us.  My mind has been a bit distracted of late.  This attorney in the DA’s office has been coming on to me and I have told him on several occasions that I’m not interested but he persists.  I think that I may have to get a restraining order against him.  It’s sad because he otherwise seems like a nice guy and plus he’s in law enforcement and should know better.”

 

“Do I need to talk to him, you know as the man in your life?”

 

“That’s just it John, this guy doesn’t think that I have a man in my life and so he thinks that I am available.  Most of our dates happen after hours and on weekends out of the limelight of the workday.  Not that I would have my private life on display at work but he seems to think that since he hasn’t seen me with anyone that I am available to him.  Evidently he has not realized that we just don’t travel in the same circles so that’s why he’s not seen me with anyone.  He’s more into football and baseball while I’m into golf and tennis.  He goes to rock concerts and I go to the ballet and opera.”

 

“How about I stop by your office tomorrow at lunch and we go to that bistro down from the courthouse.  I’m sure that he will be there and he will see us together and that should put an end to his borderline harassment.  Otherwise I may have to talk to him ‘man to man’.”

 

“John I can fight my own battles but thanks for the offer.  But I will take you up on the lunch tomorrow though.  That just might work.”

 

“All right that is settled.  Now it’s getting late and I don’t want you out late so go home and call me when you get there.”

 

“I will. See you at lunch time.”

 

“See you then.”

 

John and I go to the bistro and sure enough the attorney in question is there.  John and I sit at our table and he stops by our table.  

 

 

“Hello Attorney Williamson how are you today?”

 

“I am fine Attorney Brice.”

 

“Have you given any more thought to my invitation to dinner?”

 

“Attorney Brice I have told you repeatedly that I have no interest in you.  So please desist in your efforts.”

 

“But if you’d only give me a chance Attorney Williamson.”

 

“Excuse me Attorney Brice, allow me to introduce myself.  I am Agent McBain of the FBI.  It appears that Ms. Williamson has no interest in you or your repeated advances.  She has asked that you leave her alone.  You are an attorney so you clearly know that any further pursuit on your part would constitute harassment.  Of course you would not want that to happen.  It would prove beneficial to everyone if you would simply go your way and allow Ms. Williamson to go hers without any further impediments from you.  Do I make myself clear?”

 

“Yes you do Agent McBain.  I didn’t know that she had a man.  If I did I would not have wasted my time.  I would never poach on another man’s property.”

 

“Mr. Brice, no woman is property.  Until you realize that you may find yourself alone for a long time. Good day sir.”

 

“Attorney Williamson I apologize and will no longer bother you.  Good day.”

 

That’s all that it took, for another man to tell him that I wasn’t interested and he backs off.  ‘Poaching on another man’s property’, the nerve of him.  I am no man’s property.  I am thankful that John handled that and I won’t have to deal with Mr. Brice again.  I look up and notice that John is looking at me.

 

“What do I have something on my face, why are you looking at me like that.”

 

“I’m surprised that you didn’t deck that guy when he said ‘another man’s property.”

 

“He’s not worth getting arrested for and anyway you handled it beautifully.  John when do you leave for your training.”

 

“Tomorrow why?”

 

“When you return can we talk.  I think that it’s time for us to revisit that conversation that we had six months ago.  I’m ready to make a change.  I see your nervousness and no I’m not calling it quits.  Just the opposite.  So go to your training with a renewed hope that things will work our with us. Thanks for coming with me today and handling Attorney Brice.  It’s getting late and I need to return to my office.  Call me when you return to town and we can plan to meet at my apartment and I will cook dinner this time.”

 

“Okay that sounds like a plan.  Let’s go.”






Chapter End Notes:

Will John's efforts be enough to win Evangeline's heart again?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.