Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been a while since I last updated so, I wanted to get something uploaded for you guys this weekend. I will be back to make small edits and grammar fixes. 

Happy Reading!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


One thought stuck in the back of her mind. The resemblance was too uncanny. The man in her dream was romantically involved with someone who could pass for her identical twin. Agnes tried to wrap her mind around what this revelation could possibly mean. There was no denying that the two lovers were also intimately close. ‘Perhaps our resemblance caused him to have mistaken me for his lover,’ Agnes thought. She had seen him in her dreams multiple times before, and he always addressed her in a familiar way. Despite the difference in their clothing, the woman had looked just like Agnes with a striking similarity that shook her to her core. It is no wonder that even this woman’s lover could have been fooled. 

Agnes recalled the details of her dream. The woman's eyes were full of so much pain and hesitation, but somehow Agnes knew without a doubt that she had loved him. She could simply just feel it. She had watched them as they made their vows to one another. It almost felt like she had witnessed a secret wedding. Her curiosity grew and she wondered what ever happened to the two two lovers…  

 

“So, in your dream, you saw a woman who could be your doppelgänger, a knight in a beautiful but foreign place?” Jasmine recounted. She was Agnes’ long time best friend and schoolmate. 

 

The two frequently met at their favorite cafe on Saturdays as their work schedules and school duties left them little time for leisure activities during weekdays. They shared similar interests in several subjects including music, and books. Jasmine was currently enrolled in the same university, pursuing a degree in Art History. 

 

“It all started a few months ago, in the summer, shortly after my trip to South Africa.” Agnes explained. “These dreams at first, began with flashes and blurry images, recurring while I sleep.” Agnes had received the opportunity to study abroad in Africa at minimal expenses and this gave her the experience of a lifetime. She got see a different side of the world, improve her studies and had learned so much. So many wonderful things had happened on that trip that she could not recall them all. 

Agnes took a moment’s pause before she confessed. 

“The more I dream, the clearer I can picture things. Last night, for example, I saw the man accompanied with his lover on top of a huge cliff and it all felt so incredibly real. It felt as thought I was somehow transported to their world and when he kissed her…”She sighed quickly discarding her final thoughts. 

 

“Maybe, I’m overthinking all this. This could all very well be my imagination playing tricks on me I don’t know…” Agnes buried her face in her hands. 

 

“Right…” Came her friend’s short response. “ I don’t know what to say either Nessie.”

 

Jasmine didn’t exactly know what to make of her friend’s story. Agnes is a brilliant writer and thus happens to have a vivid imagination but the young brunette had never seen her friend in such a state of puzzlement before.  The young girls sat around a small, brown, low rise table,  cozied within the calm ambience of the cafe. A soft jazz tune played in the background as people went about placing orders while others quietly chatted or occupied themselves with reading material. 

Jasmine decided to make light of things. 

 

“Was he handsome, this dream man of yours?” Jasmine teased as she took a sip of her coffee. 

 

“I couldn’t see his face very clearly.” Agnes replied shyly, looking down to her knees. He indeed was very handsome. 

 

“This man wouldn’t happen to bear resemblance to a certain, dashing, upperclassman you’ve been spending time with lately, right?” Jasmine teased. “Tall, dark brown hair, with a bit of a classic charm…” 

 

“Who? Matthew?”

 

Jasmine’s right eyebrow quirked.  Agnes seemed to know exactly who she was referring to. 

 

 

 

“So you’re not completely oblivious to him then…”

 

“The man in my dream is not Matthew.” Agnes denied. She knew where this conversation was headed. 

 

“He definitely fancies you.” 

 

“He’s a great friend.” was Agnes quick reply which caused Jasmine to roll her eyes. 

 

“Look, all I’m saying is you should stop worrying about these dreams of yours and maybe go out on a real date.” She continued. 

 

“Matthew’s charming, handsome, smart, overall a great catch and he talks about you all the time.” Jasmine stated. “Not in that nasty way that guys do. Just the other day, he was telling Charles and I how incredibly smart you are.” Agnes’ cheeks flushed. 

 

“He did?” 

 

“Totes did.” 

 

A real date does sound nice, Agnes thought. She was a wallflower and at the age of  nineteen, had very little to no romantic experience.  Sipping on her hot chocolate, Agnes thought about their exchange at the library. Matthew was an all round decent guy whom she felt comfortable around. His classic good looks paired with his intelligence would make any woman lucky to have him. If he was truly interested in her, she could begin to see him as potentially more than just a friend. The introvert inside screamed that she do nothing and wait for him to come to her instead of making the first move. 

 

“Before you jump the rails,” Jasmine began. “I hear he’s organizing a gathering this Thursday for Anthony’s birthday. This will be a good time to get to know him a little more.”

 

“He didn’t mention anything to me at the library. Do you think it would be alright for me to show?” Agnes questioned. 

 

“It should be no problem since Charles and I will be going as well.” 

 

“Alright…” A large smile appeared on Jasmine’s face.

 

“We’re going to find you a pretty dress and with a little bit of makeup, you are going be stunning!” She exclaimed excitedly. 

 

 

 

A few days later, Agnes and Jasmine chatted and sang along to their favorite songs as they got ready for Anthony’s party in Agnes’ bedroom. Piles of clothing, hair accessories, shoes and makeup were spread out all across the bed and dresser while the two ladies stood in front of the mirror. Their bodies swung from left to right to the sound of the eighties pop tune. Agnes, in her robe, slowly removed each roller from her hair, revealing beautiful sets of natural brown curls.

“You know,” Jasmine began as she applied a bit of rosy blush to her pale skin.  “I actually didn’t tell him that you were coming tonight. I figured we could make it a happy surprise for him and once he sees you in that dress…What’s wrong?” She queried, noting the sudden, hesitant look on Agnes’ face.

 

“About what I said earlier…” Agnes mumbled. “Matthew’s quite handsome, I just don’t know if I’m ready to date a guy like him. He seems to prefer girls with more…experience. What if he thinks I’m too boring?”   

 

Jasmine slipped into a pair of heels, attentively listening to her friend’s concerns. For a while, she had secretly wished that the two would eventually come together.  They would make such a lovely pair although Agnes seemed to have much reluctance in the matter . The young scholar was clearly not oblivious to Matthew’s charms, but Jasmine now understood why she might not want to go for a mature guy like him. 

 

Turning to face her friend, she continued. “No pressure. Just try to have fun tonight and go with the flow.” Jasmine grabbed a brush, foundation powder and began to apply a light coverage on her friend face following with a bid of brown shadow and sheer gloss. Jasmine made sure to maintain the natural look since Agnes preferred little makeup unlike Jasmine’s full coverage. 

“Now, look at that gorgeous face.” Jasmine complimented her friend as she admired the finished look. 

 

“You look ravishing Nessie. Now let’s hurry up and get ready, Charles will be here any second.” 

 

 

They arrived fashionably late to Anthony’s birthday event which was already full of energy but not much like a typical college party. Matthew chose to gather everyone at the Lotus lounge, a popular spot for upperclassmen. Located in the heart of town, the Lotus Lounge was a very spacious room with enough entertainment options to satisfy its regular attendees. In lieu of drunken chaos, people stood around in small groups, nodding along to the live band, drink in hand. Some kept themselves occupied with a game of pool or cards in the dim-lit corners of the lounge. Others helping themselves to some of the food available. 

Upon arriving, they spotted several of their friends. Dragging Agnes along, Jasmine made her way over to say hello and grab them drinks. Though her friend certainly thought nothing of it, Agnes always admired Jasmine’s popularity and her ease of fitting into many crowds.

 

“No Alcohol, please.” Agnes reminder Jasmine who passed her a can of pop. She scanned the room for the birthday boy, Anthony. Though she didn’t know him very well, she managed to bring him a small gift because she was, technically, crashing his party. It was simple and inexpensive enough. While Jasmine assured her that her presence would not be unwanted, it was the least she could do. 

 

“Remember what I said,” Jasmine’s voice whispered directly in her ear. “Relax and have some fun.”

“Right” Agnes nodded. “I’m going to find Anthony.” She spoke in her friends ear waving the present she brought him in her hand. She didn’t want to carry his present for the rest of the evening. 

Leaving her friend behind with her beau, Agnes began to walk around the room, greeting her upperclassmen along the way. The boy in question was nowhere in sight. Shrugging, she made her way over to the small stage where a few musicians were playing loud enough to cover the chatter in the room. The air was filled with a groovy tune and Agnes’ body swayed from side to side. For a few minutes, she became distracted by the music. The small audience applauded to the final notes of the upbeat sound. A few seconds later, a softer tune began to fill the room. A few people joined in pairs in front of the small stage. Agnes felt a warm body stand behind her, a pair of strong hands grazing each shoulder. She slowly turned around to face the handsome young man who was smiling down at her. 

“May I have this dance?” Matthew’s voice sang to her ears. His smile accentuated his well-defined jaw. No mo words were needed as Agnes slowly but daringly wrapped her arms around his neck and the two began to sway along to the music. Everything else happening around them slowly became irrelevant. She could not tell what he was thinking as he eyes never left her face. She too admired his handsome looks and took notice of his presence for the night. A casual long sleeve shirt, unbuttoned at the top, damp hair and a subtle scent of his cologne. She’s always been comfortable around Matthew but in this moment, she realized that there are many things she quite liked about him, physically and intellectually. Their slight height difference made it so that she could perfectly rest her head on his chest, if she wanted to but her eyes found their way back to his. They remained like this until the song came to an end, the chatter noise replacing where instruments sounds had once been. Taking a few steps backwards, they allowed for a little space between the two, unwillingly so. Before the awkward silence could float its way in, Matthew seized the opportunity.

“You look beautiful tonight, Nessie.” The innocent use of her nickname reddened her cheeks and sent butterflies into her chest.

 “You’re not so bad yourself.” She hoped her voice would not give her away. 

“I know how important your studies are to you but when I invited Jasmine to this party, I secretly hoped that she would bring you along.” he confessed. “I’m glad to see that my little ruse worked.” He chuckled.  

 “A bit of fun once in a while is not so bad…” Agnes smiled shyly. “Umm…This is for Anthony.” She handed him the gift she’d been holding.  

“Great. I’ll make sure he gets it.” 

“And Matthew…”Agnes called out to him before he could leave her side in search for his friend. “I thought about the favor you asked and…” She took a deep breath. “As long as I am there on supervision, you can browse the restricted section in the library.”

“That’s great news, thanks! I promise to make it up to you.” He genuinely exclaimed before giving her a quick hug. Agnes felt his lips rest on her cheek and once again, she caught a whiff of that cologne. Despite the shortness of the action, she prayed he would not notice the immediate effect it had on her. She did not think her cheeks could get any warmer.  

“Give me just a moment.”

Matthew disappeared within the crowd, assumedly to deliver her gift, but swiftly came back to her side a few moments later. For the rest of the night, Agnes enjoyed her time in the company of the handsome upperclassman. Several times tonight Matthew held her hand in his as they talked about college life, among several other topics. At no point did she feel the need to run away back to her friend or feign fatigue to leave the party early. In the past, she had used such tactics when feeling socially drained. She would rush back home to find the comfort of her bedroom and her books. He somehow made her feel at ease and in return she wanted to hear his thoughts and views on the world. Time seems often too short, especially when you’re having fun or in the company of such a well spoken and engaging man… 

Prior to her departure, Matthew left her with another, this time slower, kiss on the cheek. They had danced a few more times, throughout the night, and Agnes took note of his subtle, yet affectionate gestures. Perhaps he was intentionally taking things slow when it came to her. She hoped to not have misread his company tonight. She fell asleep thinking of the next time she would see him. She hoped she had not misread his intentions at the party because her heart told her that not only had Matthew taken a real liking to her but she was beginning to feel the same way. That night, when she closed her eyes, there were no confusing or strange feelings out of place or time. That night there were no strange dreams of the tattooed man with the bright yellow eyes.

 






Chapter End Notes:

I'm taking the time to build my stories and characters so I hope that this chapter was not too rushed, not too slow. Leave a comment if you like this story. As always, constructive feedback are welcomed!

Cheers!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.