Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

(As if Evangeline hasn’t been through enough do we add a medical trauma to the mix?)

 

 

Chapter 10

 

 

Everyone is shocked.  Michael checks for a pulse, it is there but thready.  Michael shouts, 

 

“We need to get her to the hospital.”  

 

Officer Cerutti enters the room just as Michael say the word ‘hospital’ and he announces that he will have a car in front of the building in less than five minutes.  John moves Michael out of the way, picks up Evangeline and proceeds to the front of the building.  Michael calls the hospital emergency room to alert them of their expected arrival time and what instruments and tests to have ready.  Nora takes Mrs. Williamson with her and Bo tells Nora that he will drive because he knows how much Evangeline means to Nora and he can use his siren to get them there faster.  Sgt. Moore and Officer Barnes return to their regular duty stations.  They are relieved that the kidnappers are now behind bars but very worried about Ms. Williamson’s health.  They both agree that she is a wonderful and amazing woman.  They both pray for her speedy recovery.

 

John makes it to the patrol car and Officer Cerutti is there at the wheel ready to drive to the hospital.  Michael gets in the back with John who has not released Evangeline from his tight hold.  Michael again feels for Evangeline’s pulse and notices that it is still thready. 

 

“John don’t hold her so tight.  I think that she might have some internal injury.  Earlier she did not give any indication of any internal injuries and I took her pulse and blood pressure several times in the last few hours.  Maybe it’s something else going on inside of her body.  We will find out once we get to the hospital.”  

 

John thanks Michael for being here for Evangeline.  Still holding her in his lap John whispers in her ear so that only she can hear him, 

 

“Don’t leave me Evangeline, please don’t leave me.”  

 

When they pull up to the emergency room medical staff rush out with a gurney.  John slowly exits the patrol car holding Evangeline firmly in his arms.  Michael directs John to put Evangeline on the gurney and to step away so that they can take her inside.  

 

“I want to go with her Michael,” he says. 

 

“John we need to get her in now.  I’ll send someone to give you an update but let me go and take care of her.”

 

Michael says trying to offer his brother some comfort.  John steps away and the medical staff push the gurney into the emergency room area.

 

John walks to the waiting room in the emergency department. Less than ten (10) minutes later, Mrs. Williamson and Nora arrive.  Bo walks in a few minutes later after parking the car.  They ask John if there is any news and he says ‘no’. Officer Cerutti is standing in a corner quietly waiting.  Bo approaches him and tells him he can leave since the threat to Evangeline is over.  Cerutti responds, 

 

“If it’s all the same to you Commissioner Buchanan I would like to wait to hear that Ms. Williamson will be all right. She has been through so much and I just want her to survive all of this. I told her that I would protect her at the hospital, before the kidnappers were jailed, and I want to keep my word.”  

 

Bo pats Cerutti on the back and thanks him for all that he has done.

 

 

Michael comes out to the waiting room and everyone rushes to him. Before he can say anything Mrs. Williamson asks, 

 

“Is my daughter all right Dr. McBain?”  

 

Michael looks at all of the worried faces surrounding him and slowly explains Evangeline’s condition, 

 

“Evangeline passed out as a result of shock.  Her body could not take any more.  Add to that her breathing was labored as a result of the smoke that she inhaled during the fire.  Even with the oxygen treatments that she had at the police station her lungs are not at capacity.  We will keep her in the hospital to monitor her lungs and allow her to rest. Three days at the most and she should be good to go. She will make a full recovery.  We’re moving her to a private room.  And before you ask, I prefer that she not have visitors for a few more hours.  She did revive while we were running tests but she is exhausted and overwhelmed so please give her time to rest.  Mrs. Williamson you can come with me now but please don’t ask her any questions that will agitate her and that goes for everyone else.  None of us can imagine what she has been through and I promised my friend that I will be here to help her recover and so I will and I will protect her as well.  Are we all agreed?”  

 

Michael surprises even himself with his speech but Evangeline deserves no less than his best.  Everyone voices their agreement and Michael takes Mrs. Williamson back to the emergency room where Evangeline is lying on the bed with her eyes closed. Mrs. Williamson slowly approaches, 

 

“Cookie,” she says.  

 

Evangeline opens her eyes and looks at her mother and the tears flow from her eyes and the floodgates open and the tears continue. Michael looks on and thinks, ‘she just needed her mother’.  He feels better now seeing Evangeline release her pent up emotions.  It will go a long way in aiding in her recovery not to bottle up her emotions.  

 

Several minutes later the transportation staff arrive to take Evangeline to her room and Michael and Mrs. Williamson follow.  Once the transportation staff leaves Michael tells Evangeline to call him any time.  He suggests that she get some sleep but she instead insists that she wants to see Nora, Officer Cerutti, Bo and John in that order.  Michael and her mother both try to convince her against this but Evangeline insists.  She further states that after her session with Nora that she wants her mother to leave and get some rest now that she knows that her daughter is safe. Not wanting to agitate Evangeline, Mrs. Williamson agrees and sits in a chair near the bed and holds Evangeline’s hand.

 

Michael returns to the emergency area waiting room and accompanies the group to the waiting room on the floor where Evangeline’s room is located.  He relays Evangeline’s message to them, tells them her room number and then escorts Nora to the room. The others remain and wait until they are called.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.