Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

Chapter 15

 

 

Today Evangeline finally makes it home to her apartment after her time in the hospital.  John did spend each day with her.  He even managed to get through his encounters with Evangeline’s mother. Evangeline didn’t try to referee the two of them.  She figured that they are both adults so they can resolve their issues between themselves.  Her apartment is spotless and her refrigerator is stocked, clothes are clean and all neatly stored. Since John escorted Evangeline from the hospital her mother has a hot home cooked meal waiting for her but Evangeline does not eat right away.  She excuses herself and goes to her bedroom.  

 

Two hours later she returns to the living room to find her mother in the kitchen and John in the living room talking on his cell phone. When her mother sees her she asks what took her so long and Evangeline smiles and says, 

 

“I took a long shower and did my hair.  Don’t I look good?”  

 

Her mother replies, “Yes you do Cookie.  Are you ready to eat now?”  

 

Walking over and giving her mother a big hug and kiss she cheerfully responds, 

 

“Yes I am. Thanks for cooking Mommy. You know that I love your food. Did you cook enough for John to join us?”  

 

Rolling her eyes her mother smirks, 

 

“I thought that you would ask that and I did.  I see his devotion to you Evangeline.  If you’re willing to give him another chance then I can too.”  

 

“Thanks Mom, let’s eat!” as she heads to the living room to get John.  

 

He’s still talking on the phone and she fears that he will leave. Surprisingly enough though she hears part of his conversation, 

 

“No, I’m not coming in until later.  It will have to wait until then,” he hangs up and turns around to see her watching him and smiling.  “What’s wrong?”he asks. 

 

“Nothing, it’s time to eat,” she says and pulls him to the kitchen.

 

They three (3) sit and eat and talk.  After the meal John volunteers to help clean up but Lisa tells him and Evangeline that she will handle it.  They go to the living room and he tells Evangeline that he will need to go to the station later.  She tells him that she understands and that it’s okay.  She too has cases she can work on but she probably won’t because her mother’s going home tomorrow and she’d prefer to spend more time with her mother.  John tells her that he won’t return this evening so that she and her mother can have that time together.  He does tell her that he will miss spending the evening with her because he spent every evening with her while she was in the hospital.  She assures him that she can manage one evening without him.  He responds that she’s not the problem.  He doesn’t know how he will last one evening without her.  

 

“Aww, that’s so cute.  You’ll manage,” as she pulls him into a hug.  

 

That’s how her mother finds them when she walks in.  

 

“Am I interrupting anything?” Lisa asks. 

 

“No Mom. John was just telling me that he has to leave so you and I can do all of the fun girly things that you enjoy so much,” Evangeline playfully says as she pulls her Mom into a group hug with John.  

 

Realizing that her mother and John are feeling a bit awkward Evangeline releases them and smirks, “You can go now to your own corners.”  They both stare at her and offer smirks of their own.  

 

Ignoring them both she stands at her window and looks out at the setting sun, the sky, the clouds and the city landscape.  She breathes a sigh of relief and softly says, 

 

“I’m home and I’m safe.  Thank you God for your graciousness.  Amen.”  

 

John approaches her and wraps his arms around her waist and whispers in her ear, 

 

“Yes you are safe.  Amen.”  

 

She squeezes his arms and leans back and rests her head on his shoulder.  A calm and peace fills her, she closes her eyes and he feels her relax.  Again he squeezes her to him and let’s her know that he has to leave but he doesn’t want to.  She says that she knows and turns her face to him.  They look into each other’s eyes and without words say to each other all that is in their hearts.  John bends his head to kiss her and that kiss seals their commitment to each other.  Not wanting to get too demonstrative while her mother is standing by they kiss one more time and then John says goodbye to Mrs. Williamson and wishes her a safe trip.  He tells Evangeline that he will call her later and then he leaves.

 

Evangeline and her mother spend a quiet and fun filled last night together and the next day after her mother leaves Evangeline takes another nice hot shower and sleeps the day away.  When John called last night she told him then what she planned to do so he asked her to call him when she woke up.  Evangeline wakes up the next morning feeling refreshed and renewed.  She resolves to get back to work and get back her life and that includes John McBain.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.