Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


MAY 2019

"Lissy sit still"

"Lissy sit still"

"Felicity sit still!"

The toddler was oblivious to her mother's request kept rocking back and forth with her stuffed Piglet in her little lap.

"I'm sorry Dr. Klatz she never listens" Kelly replied trying to save face

"No worries" the pediatrician replied "actually after a few visits I have come to a conclusion as to why that is"

Shepherd braced himself because Dr. Klatz had a very even expression.

"Mrs. Hawthorne your daughter Felicity is autistic"

"What?"

"Felicity has autism"

"Dr. Klatz I thought only boys could have autism"

"For the most part yes" Dr. Klatz "there are very rare cases where girls are on the spectrum as well and sometimes they aren't even diagnosed"

"And my daughter is that rare case"

"I'm afraid so"

Shepherd could see all of the wheels spinning around in Kelly's head and he knew she was livid.

"Many children who are austisc are very intelligent" Dr. Klatz went on to say

"She hardly turns to us when we call her name" Kelly said annoyed "she's fifteen months old"

"Her social skills will get better" Dr. Klatz explained "she will just be a little behind her peers in terms of development and she will be very sensitive to loud noises"

"Is there a cure for autism?"

"No" Dr. Klatz explained "but it's manageable"

Felicity began to coo as she continued to rock back and forth with Piglet; completely oblivious to the adults discussing her condition.

"Are there any resources you could recommend us Dr. Klatz?" Shepherd spoke up

For the rest of the appointment Kelly remained pissed while Shepherd was taking in all of the information that Dr. Klatz was giving.

This was hard for him too however Shepherd was able to take his own feelings out of the equation to put Felicity first.

 

AUGUST 2019

Shepherd Hawthorne tried to kiss his wife Kelly but she gave him his cheek and she looked rather annoyed. He raised his eyebrow at that. Kelly was growing colder and colder to him each day lately and he did not understand why.

"Am I not allowed to kiss my gorgeous wife after a long day of practice?" he tried humoring her. Kelly always loved his corny jokes ever since they started dating

"Is your wife not allowed to be annoyed and tired after wrangling your eighteen month old all day?"

"Lissy?" Shepherd asked, "what are you talking about she's no trouble"

"She had a fit over the ice cream truck at the park today"

"Kelly you know she's sensitive to loud noises" Shepherd explained

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Kelly replied "and she never responds to her name either and her vocabulary is limited; do you have anymore autism talking points you want to give me that I've been hearing for three months"

"Something you want to talk about?" Shepherd asked.

They had been married for six years now he knew when she was pissed

"Your daughter wants her bedtime story apparently she only wants ‘Dada' to read it"

"I'll go see to my princess, then hit the shower so that I can see to my queen's needs"

Kelly didn't even flirt back to him. One problem at a time then.

 

Shepherd opened the door to his daughter's nursery, which was dimly lit with her Winnie the Pooh nightlight. His heart melted as he approached her crib to see the curly head toddler rocking back and forth with face nuzzled in her stuffed Piglet.

"Is that my Lissy?"

Felicity Nicole Hawthorne didn't respond to her father right away.

It wasn't until Shepherd gently picked her up did she startle a little and fail her arms.

"Shh Lissy" Shepherd whispered in her ear "it's okay it's Dada"

"Dada"

"Dada"

"Dada"

"Yes Dada" Shepherd confirmed and kissed his daughter's chubby cheek "let's get you that story so you can get to sleep munchkin"

Just as Shepherd was about to take her to the rocking chair by the window; Felicity squirmed and made a whiny noise.

"Oh that's right," he said reaching down in her crib "we don't want Piglet to miss the story either would we?"

"Piglet"

"Piglet"

"Piglet"

"Yes Piglet" he said patiently "let's get you settled down for the story with him"

Shepherd settled them all into the comfy rocking chair and he opened Rainbow Fish.

It usually took a little longer to read to Felicity since she like to stop on each page and run her hands on the shiny fish scales as she made gurgling sounds.

As Shepherd read to Felicity he noticed how she sometimes didn't pay attention or played with Piglet instead. Sometimes even stopping to wail her arms around and about and touch his face intrigued by the texture of his facial hair under her tiny fingers.

Basically normal behavior for an autistic toddler that Shepherd had grown to accept but Kelly loathed. When he finished the story Shepherd looked down to see that Felicity had fallen asleep still clutching Piglet.

Gently without stirring her Shepherd placed Felicity back down in her crib and kissed her goodnight.

"Dada loves you Lissy"

 

"Shep I want a divorce"

"What?"

"I said I want a divorce"

Shepherd had just entered the bedroom when Kelly hit him with that confession so of course he was going to ask her again what she said.

"A divorce?"

"That's what I said"

"Am I not a good husband and father?"

"It's not that"

"Then what is it Kelly because I love you and Lissy---"

"Actually it's about Felicity" Kelly said evenly "I want to surrender my parental rights"

Shepherd frowned and crossed his arms

"Give me a reason Kelly; give me one good reason why you want to turn your back on our daughter"

"Do you not relies how hard it is to raise a child with autism?" Kelly said pathetically "girls rarely have this condition yet our daughter does"

"Felicity is still ours" Shepherd said, "of course it's not easy but you don't turn your back your child

"I did not sign up to raise a special needs child"

"Neither did I but I'm not leaving her" he defended their child "I love her too much to leave her"

Kelly looked away from Shepherd and he was immediately disgusted and heartbroken at the same time.

"Kelly do you even love Felicity?"

"I carried her for nine months what kind of question is that?"

"Answer me"

"No" Kelly replied "no Shep because I wanted a normal little girl"

Shepherd felt like a ton of bricks hit him square in the chest but he wasn't going to let Kelly off the hook that easy.

"And what issue do you have with me?"

"You're always at practice now and when you come home all you do is tend to her"

"Kelly are you serious?!? The season is starting in less than a month I'm in training" he tried reasoning with her "or are you forgetting that my income is paying for our lifestyle it's my job"

"Well excuse me if I want my husband home I'm twelve weeks pregnant and---"

"Wait you're pregnant?"

Kelly then realized she had said too much and definitely too fast.

"Kelly?"

"When were you going to tell me?"

"It's not yours"

Shepherd's heart sank

"You cheated on me?"

"I have needs" she said rather pathetically "besides I'm pretty sure you've slept around too I know how you NFL players are"

"Actually I've been faithful to my wife of six years" Shepherd replied offended "hell am I even Felicity's biological father?"

"Of course she's yours!" Kelly spat at him "she didn't get that red hair from me! I can't do this anymore Shep! I want a husband who is there for me and a normal child!"

"I am there for you!" Shepherd exclaimed "and I wouldn't trade Lissy for any other child---"

"A special needs child is a burden Shep" Kelly cut him off "face the facts Felicity will never be completely independent even as an adult; hell you're going to have to worry about what would happen to her if something happened to you---"

"That's not good reason to leave Kelly and you know it"

"It is to me"

Shepherd watched in disgust as Kelly proceeded to take out two suitcases out of the hallway closet.

"So you're really leaving?"

"I already have the divorce papers drawn up" Kelly said rather detached "this was the only night the father of my new baby could pick me up"

"Who is the father anyway?"

"I think you know him very well"

What the fuck was that supposed to mean?

The doorbell rung and Kelly went to go answer it as if it wasn't a thing.

"You ready honey?" the gruff voice asked, "got all your things?"

"No but I've arranged for movers to come and get my remaining things another day"

"Hey Shep didn't see you there buddy"

Marty Preston.

Marty Preston.

Marty Preston from the fucking New England Patriots.

Kelly cheated on Shepherd with that sack of shit; his main rival since he started his career.

"Kelly are you fucking kidding me? Marty?!?"

"That's me" Marty chuckled "looks like you've been neglecting your pretty wife; judging by the way she moans when I'm deep inside her you've been fumbling the ball in the sheets too"

"Unless you have a death wish I suggest the both of you get the hell out of my house"

"Strike a nerve Hawthorne?"

"LEAVE!"

The sound of Felicity whimpering upstairs could be heard and Kelly tugged on Marty's arm. It was as if hearing her daughter cry was making her feel guilty

"Let's just go Marty"

Kelly didn't even look at Shepherd it was as if their six-year marriage was a damn lie and didn't mean anything. It was one thing for her to walk out on him but to walk out on their child. Kelly was as good as dead to the both of them.

The minute Kelly left Shepherd quickly raced upstairs to Felicity's room to comfort her. He scooped her up to gently bounce her but the overstimulation was too much and she cried harder.

"Dada is here Lissy"

"Dada is here"

"Dada is here"

The words didn't soothe Felicity immediately; in fact it took almost an hour to get through to her. Point of the matter was Shepherd did not leave her unlike her mother. He would never leave her.

 

Shepherd jolted awake in the rocking chair next to Felicity's crib by the sound of the phone ringing.

He looked over at the clock to see that it was already a little after nine; he then turned to his toddler to see her blissfully content with rubbing her face into Piglet's belly and cooing.

"Hello?"

"Shep is everything okay?"

He immediately got up when he heard his publicist's concerned voice over the phone

"Yeah I'm good," he said, "just overslept"

"Today is the kids training camp" she reminded him "the rest of the team is here and we're starting in two hours is everything okay?"

Shit

Shepherd had completely forgot that today was the when the local summer camp kids came down to the field to play and do activities with the players. It was usually that the end of summer training right before the season started.

"Shepherd I saw the TMZ video of you yelling at Kelly and Marty as they left your house" his publicist Genevieve Baxter said concerned "I'm going to ask you again is everything okay?"

Shepherd sighed

"Yeah I'm fine Evie"

"You're lying Shep" she said patiently "I know you are"

"I'll be there as soon as I can" he insisted, "would you mind....I have to bring Lissy"

"I'll watch Felicity for you" Genevieve insisted, "I just need you to get here in the next hour okay?"

 

"What the fuck was he thinking? I don't need this kind of publicity right now"

"Malone language" Genevieve warned him gently as she bounced Felicity on her lap "Shep's daughter is right here I don't think he'll appreciate you cursing around her"

"My mistake" Coach Malone said sincerely "still meant what I said though"

"I know" Genevieve replied "I'll be sure to speak with him about it"

"The kid looks just like Shep I'll give him that; dark red hair and everything" Malone chuckled "she's adorable; what's she wearing?"

"Noise cancelling headphones" Genevieve replied "Shep packed them in her diaper bag; Felicity has autism she's sensitive to loud sounds and noises"

"That's right I forgot" he said, "strange I thought only boys get that"

"Usually yes but in rare cases like Felicity it's detected in girls too"

"She's taken a liking to you"

"Well I also grew up with a disability so I guess that's where the bond is"

"Anything more?" he teased

"No I'm extremely professional with all the players" Genevieve said "plus Shepherd is a married man and father"

"Judging by that TMZ video looks like there's going to be a divorce" Malone went on to say "it's a shame Shep's a great guy and Marty's a dick for doing that rumor is Kelly is pregnant with his baby"

Genevieve couldn't argue with that; it was fucked up and she felt sorry for Shepherd.

He was a great a man.

A very handsome man too.

Genevieve Baxter had been the publicist for the Philadelphia Eagles for a little over two years now and honestly it was the best team she had represented. Philadelphia is already a very liberal and democratic city so of course their football team welcomed a wheelchair bound black woman as their publicist.

The players were nice and accepting of her and they did not belittle her the way the players of other teams did. Shepherd was nice to her to but Genevieve always chalked it up to him being sympathetic to her since his own child had disability.

Kelly Welsh had been a former cheerleader for the team but quit so that she could marry Shepherd so it would not be a conflict in interest. She was the definition of a spoiled and pampered NFL wife because anything she needed or wanted Shepherd got it for her.

On February 4th 2018 right after the Eagles won against the Patriots in the super bowl; Kelly went into labor and Shepherd skipped the celebration to go be by his wife's side. 

Felicity Nicole Hawthorne was born in the early hours of February 5th 2018 making it an even more special time. Shepherd had two victories to celebrate that February.

Kelly was very blessed so Genevieve couldn't understand why she would did what she did. If Shepherd were her husband.... yeah let's just say Kelly was a lucky woman and Felicity was an even more lucky child to have such a tentative father.

 

A wave of relief washed over Shepherd as he came out of the men's locker room to see Genevieve wheeling herself over to him. As quickly as a wheelchair bound person could anyway.

He liked Genevieve she was kind and sincere somebody anyone could call a friend. Some of the past publicists the team had were rather handsy and by that they were women who always wanted to get in his pants just because of his name and status.

Genevieve was the type of woman that proved that men and women could actually be in the same room without taking their clothes off and be controlled by lust all the damn time.

Genevieve actually respected that Shepherd was a married man and father; well at least father now.

"Thanks Evie" Shepherd said as he scooped up Felicity from her lap "was Lissy a good girl for you?"

"She was" Genevieve said, "the headphones helped and she's a pretty content baby"

"I know" Shepherd chuckled as he kissed his daughter's cheek "you give her Piglet and she's pretty much set"

"You did great out there today Shep" she went on to say "the kids really loved you"

"Yeah they're full of energy too; but it just gives me a preview of what it will be like when Lissy is that age"

Felicity cooed as she rocked in her father's arms back and forth.

"Yes we're talking about you little love bug" he chuckled

Genevieve smiled at the two of them but she was still concerned with his well-being.

"Shep" she said seriously "what happened with you and Kelly last night?"

"Nothing" he said simply "she wants a divorce"

Genevieve knew Shepherd was trying to put on a front but she wasn't buying it; she knew he was genuinely hurting by it.

"Did she say why?"

"She gave many reasons actually" Shepherd said "she claims that I've been neglecting her which is a lie but what really got me was giving up her parental rights of Felicity"

"Really?"

"That's what she said" he went on to say "apparently Felicity's autism is too much for her and that she never wanted a special needs child"

"Oh Shepherd I'm sorry"

"Don't be" Shepherd said sincerely as he strapped Felicity into her stroller "I'm perfectly capable of raising my daughter without her; the child she's having with Marty does not have special needs"

"If you need help looking for a nanny I can start looking," Genevieve offered, "it's not easy caring for a child with special needs; trust me I should know"

The two of them were silent for a moment and Shepherd looked Genevieve straight in the eyes and smiled

"Actually I think I've already found a nanny"

"Shep?"

"I'm going to hire you as my nanny Genevieve Baxter"












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.