Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Yeolahop 


(nineteen) 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

A pain in her side woke her. What happened next was something that even her dreams hadn’t prepared her for. Two men stood over her, one of her legs each in their hand. Dressed as the royal guard, they drug her brutally upon the ground, tiny rocks and pebbles scraping and tearing her skin. 

    “What’s….what’s going on? Why are you doing this?” She protested, sleep fading from her with each passing second. At the sound of her voice, the men stopped and looked back at her. One of them let her leg go and it hit the ground harshly, drawing a cry of pain from her. She tried to move her hands but found them tied together, the rope that bound them starting to make her wrists raw. He reached for his sword when a voice familiar to them all stopped him. 

    “I said unharmed.” Slowly, a woman appeared in her peripheral vision, a sinister smirk on her face. 

    “We don’t want to bring them damaged goods do we?” 

    “What the hell is going on?” Turning eyes onto Jae-Hwa, she felt anger light her like a match. 

    “I’m eliminating the problem.”

    “Wangja-nim will never forgive you.”

    “That’s something I’m willing to risk. After all, we’ll have our whole lives to work this out.” 

    “It has to be done.” To her surprise, Taewang-nim stepped out from the corner and soon joined Jae-Hwa. 

    “T-Taewang-nim?”

    “You’re becoming too much of a distraction to him. He’s placing you above his priorities. That is unacceptable.”

    “But-”

    “I will deal with Cheol-Su. As for you, you have fulfilled your requirements. You will be returning to bondage.” At the lift of a hand, the men gathered her legs and began to drag her on, ignoring her screams and cries. 

    “TAEWANG-NIM! PLEASE….PLEASE DON’T DO THIS. PLEASE!” But it fell on deaf ears as he stood there, face as stone. Jae-Hwa’s devious smirk grew and when she was out of their sight did the wind carry her laughter her way. Men dressed like the men who had captured her all those years ago stood by a wagon. Bending down, they attempted to grab her but she fought as much as she could. With one good solid punch, she fell limp. Tossing her body into the wagon, the men received their payment and began on their long journey. 

 

*** 

 

    Sitting inside of the court library, all was quiet until the doors burst open. He lifted his eyes to see a host of gisaeng flooding in, tears and concern all about them. 

    “Wangja-nim! Wangja-nim!” Putting his book down, he frowned at the faces that peered up at him. 

    “What is the matter?” Some of them were filled with so much emotion that they could not answer, instead their tears flowed in anguish. 

    “It’s about Tiye Wangja-nim.” At the sound of the voice, he watched as the woman Hae entered, fingers tightly clasped in front of her. She appeared as though she had just finished crying, eyes puffy and watery and her nose and cheeks red. 

    “What about Tiye?” He asked, starting to stand. 

    “She’s…she’s gone my lord.” 

    “Gone?” He asked, confusion wrinkling his brow. 

    “She’s not in the harem nor is she in the servant’s chambers. No one has seen her all morning.” 

    “Perhaps she is out running errands. You yourself have done so several times before.” He attempted to smile but it slowly faded as the woman started to cry. 

    “I’m…I’m afraid…not m-my lord.” At that, he dropped the book and rushed past them all, his Father’s chambers his target. When he reached the inner courts, he pushed open the doors to find every member of his family comfortably seated playing a card game. 

    “Where is she?” He asked, voice low and menacing. 

    “Who?”

    “Don’t play stupid.”

    “My, is that any way to greet your mother in the morning Cheol-Su?” 

    “Mother, perhaps he slept on the wrong side of the bed this morning.”

    “It’s woke up on the wrong side of the bed Oppa-nim.”

    “Whatever.”

    “Father.” Lifting his eyes, the resignation within them unsettled him. 

    “She was proving to be much bigger of a problem than we anticipated.”

    “We?”

    “Have you even thought of a strategy to combat the Mongols? What if they show up on our doorstep tomorrow? In a couple hours’ time?” 

    “It has been in the works yes.”

    “By now it should be completed. By now I should be looking it over. And yet, I am not.” His jaw clenched. 

    “Your Queen consort tells me that you’ve forgotten your place. She’s concerned about you. We all are concerned about you.” 

    “What did you do?”

    “Sold her back into slavery dearest little brother. Some Arab traders came in the wee hours of the morning while you were still sleeping and took her off of our hands.” 

    “And you didn’t think to consult me about any of this? Am I seen as so insignificant?” He  was so full of anger that he couldn’t even yell. It was just monotone and flat. 

    “The King rules over us all. You’ve seemed to forget that.” Tears began to well up in his eyes and he stared blankly, hands curling up into fists. 

    “With her gone, now you can return to your obligations. You are to be King of Goryeo Cheol Su. Act like it.” He stood there silent, tears threatening to spill. 

    “Aww here he goes. About to cry like the baby he is.” His brother taunted with a sneer. But when he lifted his eyes to his, even he grew pale. Without another word, he turned on his foot and swiftly exited the chambers. Almost from a dream, it began to rain as if the earth too shed her tears. He stormed into the servant’s quarters startling the women inside. 

    “Where is Tiye’s mat?” He demanded, voice hard. One of them pointed to his left and he quickly advanced upon it. The jeogori that she had used to cover her had been ripped away and the mat appeared as though she had only just recently gotten up. A small pouch peeked out from underneath the makeshift pillow. One of her bead pouches. Plucking it up, he stuffed it into his pocket and without another word headed to his chambers. 

    Pushing open the doors, he went right to the small chest he kept in its safe. 

    “What are you going to do?” Lifting furious eyes to Jae-Hwa, he lifted and grabbed her up by the neck, shoving her back against the wall. The gaze that looked up at her made her grow cold with chills that flooded throughout her body. His grip tightened on her throat, her feet dangling below her. Embedding her nails into the skin of his wrist, she began to grow red in the face as he progressively choked more and more air from her. He suddenly let her go and watched as she sunk to the floor, holding her neck, gasping. 

    “You don’t get to ask me any fucking questions. Not now and not ever.” Leaving her on the floor, he went back to retrieve the chest. Placing it up onto the desk top, he turned around and for the longest time stared at her. 

    “It’s time don’t you think?” He asked, voice low and chilling. 

    “Time for what?” He left the desk and took her up by the hair, bringing a yelp from her. 

    “Your hand had a major part in this. You know it and so do I. And now I think that we should lay everything onto the table.” Forcing the weeping woman up he shoved her in the direction of the King’s chambers once more. When they made it there, he pushed her inside. Before entering, a concerned Yoo-shik made his appearance, there yonder. 

    What has happened my Lord?”

    “Tiye’s been sold.” His eyes bulged in surprise. 

    “What-”

    “Go and retrieve her. Please.” The last bit was softened and at that emotion that breezed up on his face, Yoo-shik nodded in understanding. 

    “Of course my Lord.”

    “In my room, there is a chest. Take a pouch or two of it out and use it to bid for her sale. When you’ve retrieved her, have her wait for me in the inn. I will come to you both tonight.” The man bowed his head and watched as the prince slowly opened the door and entered, closing the door behind him. 

 

*** 

 

    Small streams of blood slipped down her wrists from the heavy chains that bound her. The hanbok had been ripped from her body and instead a rough burlap shift was put on her, complete with a hijab to cover her hair. 

    “No man will want an unholy woman.” They said, Arabic strong on their tongue. The sun near blinded her and she kept her gaze down, down as she observed the small ants that teased her flesh, drowning in the large droplets of rain that splashed near her feet. 

    “Where have you come from?” Looking up into the face of a frail looking woman she licked her lips. 

    “Gaeseong.” 

    “Oh…the capital.”

    “Mm.”

    “In the Palace or?”

    “Palace.” That’s all she was in the mood to say and as the women prepared to ask her more questions, she turned away from her, hoping she got the message. She had to get out of here…somehow… someway. She would not go back into slavery a willing participant. 

    “Be quiet! You women talk too much!” The overseer, a big sloppy brute of a man hollered, eyes flashing dangerously. At that, they closed their mouths. The woman afraid. She furious. 

    “We will be on our way in a moment. Good news for us. Unfortunate for you.” She bit the inside of her cheek as she watched the heavy feet trail away from them. 

    “Are we to accept our fates then? Are we not to at least put up a resistance?” She questioned quietly to the eight or so women around her, some Korean, some not. They all blinked at her, tears, fear, and defeat in their eyes. 

    “What?”

    “If this be the day I die, at least I will know that I went fighting. I can’t accept this. I can’t go back to this hell. Not like this.” The two nearest her sucked up their tears. 

    “I was sold by my father to relieve a debt. I have no husband or children. What am I to go back to? Their filth can’t be any worse than the filth I just left.” The one who had spoken was a pretty girl, seen as plain and homely by aristocratic standards. Beautiful strong eyes, long black hair and tanned skin. 

    “Cheonmin?”

    “Yes.”

    “Hm.”

    “Shh.” 

    “Up you wenches! We move further into the city square.” Begrudgingly, the women got up and they moved from the outskirts of the port, drawing closer into the center of the marketplace. As they moved, a pain traveled through her chest. By now, with the sun at its highest setting of the day, Wangja-nim must have found out what happened. A myriad of emotions flickered through her at that thought. She knew he would be furious. Beside himself with fury actually. A hand roughly shoved her. 

    “Move.” Clenching her fingers together to avoid turning and hitting the man, she kept her eyes straight, taking in the surroundings foreign to her. She’d never been here before. To this port city they called Byeokrando. From the sounds of it, it was busy, chaotic and intensely strenuous with activity buzzing to a high screeching pitch. The scent from the seas wafted across her nose and it brought a feeling of longing along with a false sense of contentment. Gods she missed that smell. It was fresh, clean, open and the blue spanned as far as she could see. The man pushed her again, this time shoving her into one of the other women who walked ahead of her. They collided and tried to prevent from each other falling. Through a multitude of sweaty stinking bodies they maneuvered, ear splitting heckling and smells of mystifying foreign incense, trinkets and fresh seafood. 

    “There! Let us try to sell some of these wenches. The ones we’ve acquired from this land first.” Made to line up in single file, the men began to speak the tongue of Goryeo and it was strange hearing it from them. It didn’t sound right, didn’t sound genuine. 

    “Who here would like a woman?” At first he was ignored but he tried again, raising his voice louder. 

    “Who here would like a woman? One that can cook, clean and satisfy your every need?” That seemed to be the winning pitch because some of the traveling men paused, interested eyes peeking up from under their gats

    “Men, in these times of uncertainty, you should rest assured that you will be able to overcome with the servitude of a willing vessel.”

    “How much?”

    “Which one strikes your fancy?” A man stepped forward, dressed as a commoner. But, she recognized that face. He was one of the members of court. He was looking at the girl who had been sold by her family. 

    “Her.” He pointed, the action making her grow stiff. She tried to stand strong but she could see her ankles shaking from where she stood. 

    “100 Dongguk Tongbo.” The man whistled. 

    “A bit pricey for a woman don’t you think? Can she do all of the above as you say? Cook? Clean?”

    “She can even warm your bed kind sir.”

    “80 Dongguk Tongbo.”

    “75.”

    “Lower.”

    “How much lower kind sir?”

    “50.” The trader laughed. 

    “Please don’t insult me.” The man clenched his jaw. 

    “69.”

    “80 is the lowest I will accept. I’m sure there are plenty of others who will be willing to pay for a fine vessel like her. She’s young, fertile and hard working.”

    “Fine.” The man tossed two gwan at him. 

    “80 Dongguk Tongbo for the woman.” The woman glanced at her and an expression of fear worried her face as the man grabbed her. She nodded at her, her face strong and unmoving. She was to go to the palace. If she worked hard…she’d perhaps find the good grace of someone. No matter what her fate held, the Palace was surely better a place to reside than the hell she’d just left. And the awaiting hell for those who weren’t sold this day. 

    “Who else would like to purchase one of these fine bodies?” Her breath caught in her throat as a man stepped up, pouch in hand. He tightened his jaw as they made eye contact. Yoo-shik. 

    “I would like to buy a woman.” Lifting his finger, he pointed to her. 

    “That one.” 

 

*** 

 

    “What the hell is this about?” Turning narrowed eyes towards his brother, he snarled up his lips to reply. 

    “You shall soon see Hyung.” At his very blatant disuse of the respectful honorific, their mother grew pale. 

    “Cheol-Su…sweet boy… what is this about?” Reaching into one of his baji pockets, he pulled out a small pouch. Tossing the bag on the table, he directed his gaze again towards his brother. 

    “This should answer your question.” The fingers of their father picked up the pouch and reached inside, taking a coin or two out. Under intense scrutiny, his eyes grew wide and he brought them to his eldest son. 

    “What is this Seo Jun?” 

    “What is what.” He replied, voice not in a question but in a bored flat statement. 

    “This.” Throwing the pouch his way, the way his face changed sent a euphoric rush of pleasure through him. He couldn’t help himself, couldn’t help the slow smirk that drifted up on his lips. 

    “I can most certainly explain.”

    “I would most certainly hope so.” Their father rasped, face starting to grow a warm red. 

    “It was simply a political ploy.”

    “Political indeed.” He agreed, pressing his hands flat against the surface of the table. 

    “Where did you retrieve this?”

    “I think you and I both know the answer to that. It seems that the men you’ve employed for your political… race….have all betrayed you Hyung.”

    “What is it dear?” Their mother asked, deep worry etching into the lines on her face. 

    “A coin. With the likeness of our son. In the possession of other members of court.” Their father’s tone was dark and furious. 

    “Come now father… let us both be honest here. The title of Crown Prince should go to me. It is in the natural order of things. I am the first born son. Cheol Su second and lesser than.”

    “The only lesser son I see is you.” He barked, making the women jump. 

    “You know what this could imply Seo Jun? Tell me you know.”

    “Prowess. Hunger. Passion for what is rightfully mine.” He answered, skirting around the more obvious answer. 

    “And all of that drove you to this. To lie on the name of the King. To lie to the men our father hired to accompany me, your brother, to Song. Do you wish to know what it is that he told them given with a pouch of this filth?” 

    “What was it?” Mishil asked, expression neutral. 

    “He told them that the King had relieved them of their mission; That he was to restore to him his birthright and ordered his likeness be put upon a coin to showcase his favor.” At that, he laughed. 

    “That sounds awfully treasonous to me Hyung.”

    “Who are you to lecture me you spoiled little shit?” At that Seo Jun stood up, fists drawn up tight. 

    “This is the way you retaliate against me? So angry that Father sold your little bed whore that you come up this bullshit? Pah. Pathetic.” 

    “You are one mad son of a bitch.”

    “And you’ve forgotten that it is to the allegiance to the King that you are sworn! He governs all. Even you. Should he desire your wellbeing, your focus for our country, for these people he has called you worthy to rule over…thank him. Instead of whining like a little pussy over a woman. A cheonmin woman at that.” 

    “Seo Jun.”

    “I’ve had enough of his ungrateful ass behavior! Yet again, he proves just how unfit he is to rule the Throne.” 

    “And you’ve proven your worth?” At the voice of their father, they both looked at him. He sat there, fingers steepled, expression unreadable. 

    “You’ve proven your worth by having a coin secretly minted behind my back and without my approval. You’ve proven your worth by discarding your royal seed carelessly. Putting some under the ground I’ve been told. You’ve proven your worth by arguing with your little brother and berating him when you as eldest should guide him and support him. Is this man-child worth the Throne of Goryeo?” 

    “If you deem once and for all that I am not to have a hand in political matters then should I too give up the pleasures that I desire? Am I not your son? Have you not told me that I too am a prince of Gods…of dragons?” 

    “That’s not the point.”

    “I wasn’t talking to you little brother.”

    “What Cheol-su brings up are very grave accusations. I would hope that you are not found to be guilty of them.”

    “I have only attempted to show you that I am serious Father. Unlike Cheol-su, I am not overflowing with distractions. Had you asked me for a strategy for how to combat the Mongols, I would have surely given it to you. Like you, I want the best for Goryeo. I just want a chance to prove it.” Twisting up his lips, their father eyed him long and hard before letting his hard gaze fall to him. 

    “I have a lot to consider after these revelations. As of now, my decision has not changed. I stand by the decision to have you as my successor Cheol-su.” At that, his brother grew red in the face. 

    “Should you continue this game with your brother, you will find yourself under my most intense scrutiny Seo Jun.”His jaw tightened. Bringing his eyes back to him, his father spoke again.

    “I know you are upset at what has occurred today Cheol-su. I made the decision because she was distracting you.”

    “That should have been a decision that I made.”

    “Sometimes, one cannot see how destructive his actions are unless a loved one points it out.”

    “And Jae-Hwa is that loved one?” His steely gaze drifted towards her and his nostrils flared. 

    “This comes from a woman so jealous, it leads her straight into my brother’s chambers. So threatened by a musori, she forgets both her duty and oath to not just our family but to our country. She forgets that without me, without our family, she would be lower than shit. She also forgets that her offense against me could very well get her hung from the gallows.” At that, she paled. 

    “Cheol-su…”

    “Perhaps with that humbling thought, she ought to thank me for dealing with her and still offering her right to the Throne and to life. Let it be heard that until our wedding night she shall not enter my chambers.” He snarled as he took his brother in his sight, feeling his chest burn with unquenched rage. 

    “Do with this what you will. Form your own assumptions, opinions and perhaps start more of your rumors. I don’t care.” Turning from them, he let the door slam on the way out. 

 

*** 

 

    “You’re…going to get her back…aren’t you?” Looking up into the face of his sister, he tightened his jaw. She must have followed him on his way back to his chambers. 

    “You’re going to abandon us all. For a woman.” 

    “I’ve never asked any of you for anything. But this one fucking thing.” He hissed lowly, throat tight. Now at 15 summers, his youngest sister had grown into a beauty so they said. Cheeks still full of baby fat however, the youth of her appearance did not reveal just how much of a force she could be when she felt the need. 

    “You love her. The musori.” She spoke as if she had accepted it as fact. For a while, she didn’t speak but when she did, her voice was quiet. 

    “I’ll cover for you oppa-nim. This once.” At that, he blinked in surprise, mouth slightly ajar. Wang Mishil never did anything nice unless it was for her own benefit. 

    “Why are you doing this?” Her jaw tightened. 

    “Need I remind you that you were the one who had her stripped and beaten in an abusive public display of power?” 

    “She is the only one who has and can tame you. She is the only one who can bring out the King we need in this country.”

    “So you say.”

    “I don’t like it. Let me be very clear about that. But…the woman has a power over you that Jae-Hwa could only wish to obtain. I can’t deny that and neither can our father. Perhaps now he will see that removing that which you hold dearest will only backfire. Keeping you happy means keeping the Kingdom happy.” 

    “You make me sound like a bratty little child young one.” At that, she smiled some. 

    “Who is the bigger brat I wonder? You or Seo Jun oppa.” He poked her forehead. 

    “Watch it.” Her smile faded and she took a step back from him. 

    “When you come to know what love is Mishil…I will protect you.” Her cheeks grew warm and for the first time, she appeared as the little rosy cheeked girl he’d looked after since she was born. 

    “Should he be a cheonmin man? Should he be that of the dirt? Will you still protect me? Will you not throw me to the ravenous wolves and allow them to devour both he and I?” Taking her small face in his palms, he gently nuzzled her nose, something he hadn’t done since they were small children. 

    “I mean what I said yodongsaeng.”

    “And why do you?”

    “Because you are born of our mother’s womb and it is my job to protect you as your oppa. It’s also my job to protect your heart. Should it decide on someone that is not who our blood deems worthy…I shall always be in your corner. No matter what. No matter when.”  She gave a small nod and lifted teary eyes to his. 

    “Retrieve her and return to us.” Lifting to place his hair in a high ponytail, he pressed a kiss to her forehead and left her standing there, eyes sad and solemn as they watched his retreating form. 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: Happy Friday!!!! How are y'all doin? hehe I've been good. Resting on my off days and I have to work the weekend starting tonight so y'all know I'ma get my updates together first hehe. So, the lil rat Jae-Hwa retaliated against Tiye in a HUGE way, getting her sold back into slavery. What doesn't surprise me is that Cheollie's father was in on it too. He's never liked Tiye truth by told and he doesn't like that she's "getting in the way". Cheollie obviously was NOT going to be happy and he handled everything like a boss.

I tell you what. These people better stop sleeping on him. He is a COLD MOTHER SHUT YO MOUTH. His mother tries to coddle him and baby him like she did when he was younger and he is NOT I repeat N-O-T having that. He may be the baby of the two brothers but he definitely is not a baby. The quicker his mama get it, the better off everybody'll be lol. He fried Jae-Hwa AND his good ol Hyung HAHAHA MY MAN! But you see how slick Seo was weasling his way out of that?He gon get what's comin. So will his consort. So will they all. Now he goin to go get his baby.

I have another chap update for you hehe. Hope you enjoy it! 

Stay safe, healthy, blessed and HIGHLY favored! 

D&L

 

terms:

yeodongsaeng-younger sibling

Dongguk Tongbo-This was a type of currency during the Goryeo period.

Byeokrando-an ancient port city located near the southern tip of Korea. No remnants of it remaining, it is said to have been like that of the Port of Busan today. One of major trading hubs and entryways into the country of Goryeo.

 

 

Pictures: 

Mishil ( now aged 15) 

Cheollie's expressions: 

(visual Park Hyung Sik) (if I used this before oh well LOL I'm balancing a couple stories so I forget LOL)

(visual Kang Ha Neul) 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.