Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

Forty-nine

maheunahop

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

1045 

February 

Doors opened and in stepped several hooded men, all dressed in black. Crowing around a round table, all were silent as the doors were closed. 

"Make this meeting quick." 

"Let's begin then," Hoods were slowly removed, showing faces, many of them belonging to members of the Royal Court, others Heads of the aristocracy. 

"What are the updates?" One spoke. 

"There has been an interesting lead."

"That is?"

"We have been approached by Gang Young-ho's wife." Eyes grew wide. 

"What?"

"They have yet to produce an heir and they have been married now nearly three years. That long without an heir is inexcusable." The men grumbled their agreement. 

"Moreover, he has not only showcased a deliberate unwillingness to fulfill his duties as husband but an uncontrollable sexual appetite for other women."

"Don't we all?" Chuckling, the meeting continued, 

"His newest conquest is the Queen's servant. There is a rumor circulating that she may be with child." Aghast murmurs filled the room. 

"After all Gang Yooshik did to welcome him into his family and this is how he repays him?" 

"Disgusting." 

"He doesn't know any better. He was born as shit fodder and he will die as shit fodder."

"If he had sense, he'd arrange for it to be taken care of."

"Ha, the woman is still good enough to be married off! Of her own words they did not consummate the marriage bed. She must have the marriage annulled from that gutter rat and marry a proper man."

"These troubles are the fault of the King. It is due to his incompetence that these filthy animals run amuck when they should be caged." Again, the small council agreed. 

"Should he remain on the Throne, every aspect of our precious upstanding society will cease to exist. We must not let that happen." 

"What will we do?" 

"We will follow protocol first. Demand that the current Queen be deposed and one of royal Korean blood take her place." 

"The only surviving member of the royal family is the Crown Princess."

"Must we resort to it, they will marry to save the bloodline." 

"And what of the foreign bastards who have made themselves so comfortable in our home?"

"Make them swim back to their homeland. On their way, they can drown for all I care." 

*** 

A lone man stood, head and body bowed. 

"Pyeha," Warm, friendly eyes glanced down at the figure and graced him with a smile. 

"Minister Gang. What is it you wish to discuss with me? I am about to take my leave." Swallowing, he lifted his head. 

"Pyeha, I have reason to believe that you might be in da-"

"Pyeha! Grant us audience, pyeha!" His gaze lifted from him to find behind him an approaching group of red and blue. The man's mouth closed and he clenched his teeth, head once more bowed. 

"Let's speak later." 

"Of course, pyeha." 

"What is so pressing that you all bombard me?" He asked, the annoyance in his voice not missed. 

"Pyeha, we have a request of you." 

"That is?"

"We humbly request that you find a new Queen." At once, his gaze darkened and his eyes grew chilly. 

"Come again?" 

*** 

The beginning of the end was upon them. It felt like a dream. Like at any moment, one would wake and realize that it was just a figment of one's imagination. But, alas, it was far from imagination. It was far from a dream. 

*** 

One month before 

January 

1045 


He'd been sitting at his desk, in his office. It had grown late and though he had been filing paperwork all day long, it appeared as if he hadn't made a dent in any of it. Releasing a frustrated groan, he sat back in his chair. The sound of shoes caught his attention and he sat still, hearing them approach. 

"Go home, Hwi-ah. I will close." The sound of the shoes kept coming, disregarding his order. Tightening his jaw, he pushed back from the desk and stood. 

"I said go ho-" Freezing in place, the body of a man stood in front of him, a face he didn't recognize as one of his men. 

"Are you Gang Young-ho?" Slowly shifting his foot, he took a defensive stance, hands by his sides. 

"Who is asking?" He countered, eyes growing cold.

"If you want to know what happened to your brother, read what's inside." 

"My brother?" The man didn't answer but what did was a book that flew forward from behind his back. Watching it hit the ground, he slowly lifted his gaze only to find the man gone. Crouching, he lifted the book and stood. Taking his seat once more, he placed it onto his desk and slowly opened it. His eyebrows slowly began to knit together in confusion. What was this? A journal? 

He felt his heart pound in his chest as he read, fingers flipping through pages, taking in the words... Until... until one passage stopped him cold. Reading what was before him, his eyes grew wide and soon they filled with tears. 

"No." His voice whispered the word out loud as if what was before him would just disappear. 

"H-Hyung-nim..." 

*** 

The winter leading into the new year had been brutal, the winds harsh as they whipped through thick robes. But, none of it could compare to the knives that dug, cut and sliced into his heart, upon reading what had been before him. First, overwhelming grief filled his eyes in the form of tears and they were warm as they slipped down his cheeks. But then, they turned cold with anger, and finally, deep dark rage licked his belly, burning him up into flickers of fire. 

*** 

"Where is the Crown Princess?" The eyes of servants looked up to see a government official standing at the gate, demanding entry. 

"Identify yourself."

"I am Minister Gang Young-ho of Law Enforcement, at the Princess' service." His form was formal as he bowed and so he remained as they went to notify her. Minutes felt like hours before the senior gungnyeo returned. 

"She will see you." Lifting his head, he kept his eyes downcast and reverent as he followed her into the Palace. 

*** 

"How long has it been?" A cup of tea was placed in front of him. His eyes lifted upward to look at the woman sitting across from him. Beautiful and mysterious, secrets behind her gaze. Secrets he would expose. 

"I was nineteen the last you saw me, gongju-nim." He answered, bowing his head in thanks at her hospitality. Red lips smiled. 

"You were much more unruly then. The Palace has tamed you." 

"I wouldn't say it has tamed me, gongju-nim." He answered, reaching for his cup. 

"If anything, it has made me...more hungry." She watched him drink the tea, eyes narrowed slightly. 

"Hungry for what, Minister?" 

"I'm sure you've heard the talk in the courts. They say that I am a neglectful husband. That I have an insatiable hunger for the flesh of a woman."

"And? Do you?"

"As enticing as it is, what I hunger for to a greater degree is the truth." The tea tasted of plum and it was pleasant and subtle in sweetness. Placing it back down on the saucer, he sighed and caught her gaze once again. 

"No matter how hard I thrust, no matter how deep I become, I cannot find it inside the body of a woman, gongju-nim." Her cheeks had grown a lovely shade of pink and she dropped her gaze from his own. 

"My, you have a way with words." 

"I am humbled by your praise, your Majesty." Her eyes watched his head bow before her. 

"You've come here to find truth, then?" 

"Yes."

"And you think that I can assist you in obtaining that truth?" 

"Yes, gongju-nim." 

"Ah," She placed her tea down. 

"Your wife. How is she?" 

"Far from pleased, I'm afraid."

"And why is that?"

"She desires to divorce."

"How stupid of her." Their eyes met. 

"Were she smart, she would stay with you. You are incredibly handsome, intelligent and educated. Many women would kill for a man such as yourself." Her sigh was one of pity. 

"It's a shame you weren't born into the yangban world. You certainly have a knack for it." 

"Again, I am humbled." 

"I've heard other things pertaining to you."

"Have you?"

"You're an expert hunter. They say you can take down a tiger with one blow." Teeth smiled and her heart fluttered.

"You are very kind, gongju-nim. All one needs is good aim. Experienced aim." She was no fool. The suggestive trajectory of the conversation, the eloquent yet deep cadence of his voice, even his eyes as they glanced up at her with intensity, it left her breathless. He had come here to seduce her... and yet... she was half-way tempted to let him. 

"Why do they say you are a neglectful husband?" Her voice asked, letting her eyes fall down and across him. 

"The same reason women decide to lie when they have the opportunity to be truthful."

"Was she not truthful?"

"Admittedly, I don't love her. All that aside, I have tried to be a man of honor and integrity but it has backfired." More tea between the two of them. 

"She fabricated many lies about me."

"Like?"

"The lie that I raped her on our wedding night. Another that I forced her to abort because I wasn't ready for fatherhood." 

"Quite vicious and vindictive."

"Yes, she tried to assassinate my character all because she was jealous." 

"You love another?" He was slow to answer, eyes taking in the soft ripples inside of his cup as she shifted, slightly moving the table. 

"Yes,"

"Lucky woman." He didn't answer, his gaze now lifted to observe her. Their verbal titillation had excited her, he could tell by the increasing flush of color there at the nape of her neck. Hair up to reveal a slim white throat, it was no wonder why men yearned for her. Wang Mishil was the untouchable princess and yet that very thing made him want to test it. Was she in fact untouchable? From where he sat, he would say that she was extremely penetrable.

"She doesn't know how to perform her duty to you as wife well. If she did, perhaps you wouldn't have need to look elsewhere." She gave him a smile, a soft teasing one. 

"Yes, well, duties can be very complicated, as I'm sure you know, gongju-nim."

"Bold of you to assume I know what you speak of."

"Oh, but you do." She felt a whisper of pleasure spread inside of her as his low voice permeated the room. What presence he had... a force dangerous and deadly... so incredibly overwhelming and dominant that it grabbed her by the neck, nearly squeezing the breath from her. Get a grip, Mishil. Don't fall for his ploy. But, she couldn't help it... he sat there across from her with a playful expression... like... like Byung-

"You may not remember but when I was nineteen, I asked you a question."

"Refresh my memory, Minister Gang."

"I had a brother who worked here in the Palace. He was my identical twin." There, how funny that the memory seemed to come back to her and the smile started to fade away from her lips. 

"His name was Byung-ho." She appeared shaken but there was nowhere for her to go for he had cornered her. 

"I asked you what happened to him Do you remember what you told me?" She opened her mouth to speak but no words would come out. 

"You told me that he went away."

"Ah, yes... he-he did."

"Where to?"

"I....I don't know..."

"Don't think me a fool, gongju-nim. I can clearly tell when a woman is lying. Just as sure as I can tell when she's aroused." Slowly, he lifted up onto his knees and then feet. She watched him draw closer, eyes filled with pain. Sitting next to her, he reached out and pushed the cup of tea away from her. 

"When you look at me, you see him. Don't you?" 

"Stay back..." She closed her eyes and tears wet her cheeks. Gasping as his fingers came to wipe them away, she opened her eyes to find his face growing closer. 

"It's okay to say it out loud, Mishil." A daring utterance and yet a whimper loosed itself from her throat and she lifted her hands upward to push against his chest.

"If...you know... why... why are you here?" She breathed, hating that her fingers curled up to pull him back.

"I want to hear it from you."

"No." A firmer push away now. 

"We've crossed a line now." Lifting her hands to her face, she sniffed and cleared her throat.

"Leave. Now." Preparing to get up, a hand of his yanked her back down. 

"I may have his face." Tightening his grip on her arm, he pulled her close enough that her breath fell on his lips. 

"But, I'm not my brother." Her eyes widened. 

"If you won't tell me the truth freely, then I'm afraid I must find a way to persuade you."

"Unhand me!" His grip on her arm tightened and he harshly forced her onto her back, arms now trapping her. 

"Until I find what works best, I apologize that I must hold you captive." 

*** 

Steam wafted up from the bath and he sighed in contentment as the small hands of his wife came to massage his stiff muscles. 

"You're so tight, my love." He released a small groan in response to her kneading and it made her smile. Pulling his head back to rest against her stomach, she kept to her work until the knots loosened and his grunts of pleasure caused a tiny tickle to her womanhood. 

"Tiye,"

"Yes menre?" 

"You've given birth not even a month ago and already you beg me for another." 

"Have I?"

"Your touch speaks very clearly." Kissing his temple, she lifted his chin up and leaned down to kiss his tempting lips. 

"I am unable to resist you, my sun. Were you to wish for another child, my body would be willing to accept you again." Standing up to his full height, he turned and grabbed hold of her jaw. 

"Get in here. Now." Smiling cheekily, she slowly removed her sokjeoksam, piece by piece until her naked body stood before him. Reaching for her, he pulled her against him by her face, lips eager to devour her. 

"Your body must heal." He hushed against her mouth, lowering his hands to grip the cheeks of her derriere tightly. With a firm lift up into his arms, he brought her down into the bath, lips now kissing her breasts, kneeling to shower kisses of love and adoration to her stomach, the result of her most recent birth had caused the skin of her belly to sag slightly. 

"It must prepare." He whispered, now against her mound. 

"When it does, I won't hold back my appetite." Her hands slipped down into wet black strands and pulled him upward to kiss his mouth. They sank into the comforting heat of the water and he pulled her to rest comfortably against him. 

"Something strange happened today."

"Did it?" 

*** 

The body of a woman writhed, the mouth of a woman opened, releasing with it breath, releasing choked desperate moans that spoke to her deprivation, her need, her longing. Nails dug into an abdomen as hips collided harshly, in search of something her body freely revealed. Satiny skin now carrying a light sheen of sweat, she dug her nails in harder, her long black hair shielding them as she leaned down, opening her eyes to view his face. 

Tears of  pleasure fell upon her cheeks and she let her head fall to the side of him against his neck, arms hugging him close. Hips moving fast now, she panted as she brought herself closer and closer, her body suddenly growing still as intense waves of climax crashed into her. Biting down into her bottom lip to muffle herself, she trembled as she felt him start to soften. His arms didn't hug or hold her, now did his lips kiss her brow and he let his hands fall away from her waist. 

*** 

"Young-ho visited me."

"Did he?"

"He was interrupted as he was attempting to say something."

"Hm."

"It sounded like he was trying to warn me." Her ears perked up at that. 

"I think he was trying to tell me that I'm in danger." 

*** 

It seemed like she wouldn't ever stop weeping but there she was, skin to skin against the man who had the same face as the man she'd loved with all of her heart... still loved and yearned for so desperately. She didn't expect him to lift his arms upward and close around her in a hug. 

"Tell me... the truth now. Please." His voice was soft against her. 

"He... he was murdered..." She wept, closing her eyes to the memory of that day...the day her heart fell apart. 

"How?" Lifting up from his chest, she sniffled and lifted hands up to her face. 

"A lie."

"Told by whom?"

"My brother..."

"The King?"

"No! No... my older brother." He let her get off of him and watched as she went to wipe her face.

"You really loved my Hyung-nim." Said in observation. Her eyes had grown puffy from her crying and her nose sniffed as she nodded. 

"I loved him so much... words aren't enough to describe how much." His jaw tightened and he sat up. 

"Why did you lie when I asked you?" 

"Because. It... it was too painful...I... I still dream about it... the day he died..." She slipped into a robe. 

"His death is something I have never forgiven my brother for... or myself. I feel like I was responsible in a way... I killed him just as much as my brother did."

"I don't agree." She stood still, batting away tears for a moment before turning to look at him. For the first time, she didn't see her love or even a shell of him. No, a very different man sat in her bed. His face was perhaps the only thing somewhat familiar but everything else... now that the pleasure had subsided... everything else felt so incredibly foreign. 

"My brother would not have wanted you to blame yourself, gongju-nim." Throat tight, he looked at her. 

"He would not have wanted you to torture yourself." Fresh tears fell. 

"He loved you with the same measure that you gave him. Because of that, I believe that he would want you to be happy once again."

"I can't... I can't let him go..." Shaking her head, she fell to her knees and wept, her grief spilling out from in between her lips. 

"It's okay." He'd come near to hug her. 

"It's time, hm?" Sighing heavily, she tried to gather her breath and slowly lifted up, glancing up into his face, a soft surprisingly warm smile on his lips. 

"You have the same kind heart as him." She said, lifting a hand to lay against his cheek. 

"Who is the woman who has your heart?" He didn't answer but whomever she was made his cheeks grow rosy at the mere thought. 

"Rumor has it that it is the Queen's personal attendant." His blush intensified. She laughed suddenly, letting her hand slip away from his face. 

"How cute. You reveal yourself so easily."  He cleared his throat, the action making her smile.

"From what I've seen of her, she is beautiful. She must be very special to you."

"We are not able to love freely. Just as you and my hyung-nim before us." Her eyes grew sad and then full of determined fire. 

"Then, we must change your path so that you don't end up like the two of us did." 

*** 

Chatter clogged her ears as she walked, voices and eyes stabbing into her. Carrying hot tea, she expected those in front of her to move. But they didn't. 

"You." Lifting her eyes from the tray, she eyed the woman who spoke. She recognized her. She'd seen her out and about.... sometimes alone, with other wives of Court. And then again, she'd seen her with him... them...together. Feeling her eyes dig into her, she felt as though she'd been doused in gasoline. 

"How may I be of service to you, my Lady?" She asked, voice and eyes now low. The woman approached her. 

"What's your name?" 

"Kkot-bi, madam." Slender fingers lifted her chin and they made eye contact. 

"Flower and Rain. How pretty." The woman's gaze made her feel uncomfortable but she gripped the tray tighter. 

"Finally, we meet face to face." 

"E-excuse me?" She stepped closer, leaning down to look her dead in the eyes. 

"You've slept with my husband." Her eyes widened, making the pretty woman smile. 

"I've had you followed all this time. Each and every time you've helped yourself to him, in our home, in his office, in the fields where your horses graze. I know about it all." She couldn't speak, mouth agape. Pushing her face away from her, the woman cleared her throat. 

"I suppose I pity you. It's not as though you have a choice in the matter. He holds so much power and you, in order to preserve yourself, must adhere to his desires." 

"M-my Lady..."

"Of course, it helps that he is extremely good-looking. That takes the burden off just a tad, hm?" Her eyes were filled with vindictive spite and even though she still held the fat of youth in her cheeks, the young woman standing in front of her was one not to be underestimated. She could see that clearly. 

"I came to tell you something very important, Kkot-bi."

"That is...my Lady?"

"I'm pregnant." The news knocked the wind out of her and she couldn't bear to look at her.

"You're the very first person to know. I haven't even told him." 

"Congratulations..."

"It's only right that you know first..." She swallowed thickly. 

"They say you're pregnant too. Are you?" The question stopped her short.

"I-I carry no child my Lady..." She whispered, eyes growing misty. Pleased at her answer, the woman reached forward and picked up the ewer of hot water, steam still drifting up in wafts from the spout. 

"I heard that the Queen did the same thing... slept with the King when he was engaged."

Her implications of Tiye burned her chest.

"Perhaps that is just how you women are, where you come from."

"Our cultures vary differently when it comes to obtaining those we take as husbands, my Lady. However, it does not make us less respectable or less of a woman than those here." She replied, breath full of fire. She enjoyed the color that entered her neck, pale red splotches of anger. Hateful bitch.

"I should return to my duties, my Lady." She bowed her head, eyes on the ground. Perhaps if she ceased eye contact, she would leave. Lifting the ewer, she started to pour out the water, steam and droplets intentionally near her feet.

"I carry his name and his seed. And you... well... you would do well to remember that you are nothing more than a silly black-skinned whore." Laughter sprinkled up inside her chest and she flinched as the last of the steaming water splashed up on her flesh.

"It is the fault of the King that you and your Queen have been allowed to exist in such delusion. My husband will do what he must to restore balance." Lifting her eyes, she watched as the woman sneered. 

"Carry on. There's a mess to be cleaned up." For a moment, she stared down at the heated ground, the skin on her foot that had been burned. Slowly, she kneeled, visibly shaken. Fingers reached out for the ewer but she paused them. He will do what he must. Balance for Goryeo. If anyone comes to you and tries to paint me to be one of them, don't listen. 

Swallowing, she finally picked up the ewer and placed it back onto the tray. What will sustain us now is an unbreakable trust. Pulling herself up, she pulled her shoulders back and lifted her head proudly. With a step, she turned to head back to the kitchen to refill the now-empty pitcher. She'd believe him... the man she knew without a shadow of a doubt had been given to her by the Gods above. No matter what, she would trust him. 

***

The King sat high above and looked low, eyes intense and serious. He listened as his advisors debated, his mind full of thoughts. Which one of you bastards wish me dead? Eyes found Minister Song as he demonstrated a defense plan. Is it you? Are you the one leading everything? Vision now on Minister Lim, he reclined into the Throne. Is it you? He had put two and two together, though Young-ho had never been able to return to him in the same manner he had before. By grace, a letter had been passed to one of the Queen's servants, instructing to give only to the Queen.

In it, the letter detailed what were mere rumors now. Talks of overthrowing the Throne. In secret, old and new alike, the bastards huddled like a bunch of women, to talk and gossip. His eyes found him, dressed in his court robes. He'd taken risks to warn him, he and Yooshik both. For their sacrifices, he wouldn't air it out. Yet. But, the time was coming when he'd put them all to the test. 

*** 

Everything fell into hell, swallowed by despair. The happy moments of yesteryear vanished and in its wake laid greed and lust for power. 

***

"Jungjeon mama, the Crown Princess wishes an audience with you!" Looking up from where her son slept, she felt a smile come to her face. 

"She may enter." Doors opened and in she stepped, a kind smile on light pink lips. 

"Jungjeon mama." Bowing before her, she remained still. Clucking her tongue, the older woman playfully rolled her eyes. 

"Come, now little sister. Lift your head." Mirroring the grin on her face, Mishil raised her head and they embraced. 

"How is he? My nephew?"

"He has tired himself out from playing all morning." A gentle hand sifted through his curls. 

"Such a handsome boy. Like Oppa-nim when he was his age."

"Mm." Lips kissed his small warm forehead. 

"It's been a while, eonnie."

"Indeed." 

"I come with a gift." A hand motioned a servant to draw near to reveal a tiny hanbok. 

"I'm not the best but I wanted to make something for our little princess." Tiye felt her eyes tear up and she accepted the piece of clothing with a lovely smile, hugging it to her chest. 

"It's beautiful, Mishil. Thank you." 

"My pleasure." Getting up, she went to put the outfit away. 

"Eonnie..."

"Hm?"

"I'm afraid the real reason for my visit is not as happy."

"Oh?" 

"Word has reached me that you and the King may be in danger." At that, the woman stopped moving. 

"Is that so? From whom?" 

"Gang Young-ho." Slowly turning, she eyed the young woman who sat by her son. 

"I came not only to warn you of this. But to express my concern for him."

"Concern?"

"I believe those who are conspiring against you are aware that he has revealed their plans to us. I fear his life now is in jeopardy." 

*** 

Hooves stomped into the ground and a flash of blue and red darted in and out of the trees. Thrilled laughter and exhilaration pumped the blood full of excitement. Fingers held steady bows and tight arms pulled back arrows. Into the air they flew, taking flight in search of their prey. He sat atop his horse, expression unreadable. 

"Minister Gang!" At once, he seemed to break free from the daydream he'd been in and his eyes met the small group of them. 

"You've yet to fire an arrow." 

"I have much work to do. My mind is too busy."

"So much that you cannot spare yourself a moment to relax?" The question came from Minister Song, who naturally assumed leadership of the pack. He didn't speak for a moment, eyes just observing him. 

"If you will not hunt with us, will you de-stress in the arms of a woman?"

"My wife has revealed that she is pregnant. I would not wish to cause harm to her or the child."

"Then perhaps that pretty servant of the Queen? Kkot-bi, right?" Lips smirked at the narrowing of his eyes. 

"It's all the talk in court. Rumor has it that you are uncontrollable when she shares your bed." He didn't answer. 

"We are all men here, Minister Gang. There is no reason for us to mince or restrict our words. She's quite beautiful. I happen to think that the Queen, herself, is beautiful in her own way." 

"You haven't been attending our meetings. Why is that?" Eyes now on Minister Lim, he gripped the reins just a tad tighter. 

"I told you before. I have much work to complete." 

"As do we all. And yet we make the time."

"Suspicious, Minister Lim?" The man didn't reply, only turned his gaze to look upon the trees. 

"Since we're in the spirit of... not mincing our words then let me be frank. I don't like any of you." Lim grew red in the face. 

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"You son of a bitch!" 

"Yah, stop arguing like little boys. It'll spoil the hunt." Both men swallowed hard and their gazes fell away from each other. 

"Though you would rather be elsewhere, it speaks to your honor that you chose to attend anyhow, Minister Gang." Song said with a friendly smile. 

"Let us turn over a new leaf between us. It's been quite a rocky start." Eyes watched as his smile grew deeper. 

"Why is my hyung-nim not here? Was he not invited?" 

"He cannot take a pleasure trip and abandon his post can he?"

"It is I who now detects suspicion from you Minister Gang." Lim drawled, eyes narrowing on him. 

"Did we not take the oath of secrecy together? Did we not swear allegiance to our great country and to each other? Above all else?" At that, he was quiet. 

"Good, then. If we are to accomplish our goals then we must rid ourselves of any animosity of the past. We will all be ruling together in the new era after all. It would do well for us to try to get along." Turning his stallion towards the forest, Song tightened his grip on his reins. 

"Let's enjoy ourselves, hm?" With a crack rippling through the air, they took off, shooting into the dense overgrown green and trees. 

*** 

"In speaking with his wife, she has made me aware that he was invited to a hunt with some officials higher in rank than him. It would be an insult to refuse."

"That young girl. Do you trust her?" 

"I have no reason to not trust her, eonnie." Tiye pursed her lips as she resumed her seat. 

"She has accused him of many heinous acts. Don't you now find it interesting that she is pregnant? Were he the neglectful abusive husband that she claims, why would she want to bear him a child?"

"She has no choice but to bear him a child, eonnie. Regardless of how he treats her or how he doesn't, the main objective is to continue the yangban bloodline." 

"Hm,"

"Minister Gang doesn't seem like the type of man to do as she has claimed. But, what good would it benefit her to assassinate his character?"

"Every benefit, Mishil." At that, the younger woman blinked in confusion. 

"She seeks to smite him for his blatant disregard for her. His open affection for Anat infuriates her. She does not love him, for if she did, she would not desire to ruin his image, his character, and his manhood for choosing Anat over her." Mishil swallowed. 

"I had hoped that my dearest's tale would not be the same as mine." Sighing sadly, she reached for Mishil's hand to which she supplied it with ease. 

"The King and I have spoken about it, Young-ho's attempt at warning us. We are very much aware of the dissatisfaction of the Court. They are not pleased that I have some semblance of power, being an intelligent and wise woman." Mishil's fingers tightened around hers. 

"It's not just where I come from that makes them angry. They are not used to seeing their King genuinely in love with his Queen. Because of it, their perception is sharply skewed. In their eyes, he would sacrifice his country for me. Knowing your brother, both of us know that he would sacrifice everything for his people... he has given so much of himself already out of that love." At that, Mishil lowered her gaze. 

"In our time alone, we've discussed many things as to what we would do should anything like this arise. It's only natural to desire power. It's only natural for one to lust after the Throne. What would we do? What would he do as this nation's King?" Fingers drifted down to rest in her son's hair. 

"I will confide in you something I haven't even shared with my husband." She felt tears come to her eyes but she forbid them to fall. 

"I've seen our deaths." At once, Mishil paled and her fingers gripped hers so tightly that it hurt. 

"Eonnie!"

"No. I dare not joke. Not about this." 

"You won't die! Neither of you are going to die!" Her free hand continued to toy with her son's beautiful curls. 

"Goryeo is not ready for a woman to rule. Be it by her husband's side or as a separate entity. Perhaps I am too much a woman before her time. Their entire system is built to restrict us from true happiness. It was created to bend and mold us all into slaves of the womb, slaves to the home and slaves to the man." Her eyes started to tear up and she couldn't look at her, instead taking their conjoined hands into her visage. 

"As long as men of greed rule, little sister... as long as they feel it is their right to take, pillage and plunder, the world will forever exist in a continual state of bloodshed." Chin trembling, she gave a single nod. 

"I've seen it so clearly throughout our short reign as if it be right behind my eyelids over the past couple of nights. As we sleep, those of his own people will sneak in under the cover of night and slay us."

"No!" 

"They shall kill me first. A knife to the heart. And he, made to watch me die, shall receive a slit to the throat."

"NO! No....It won't happen. I won't allow it to happen." Mishil's voice was hard and full of fiery conviction and it made the older woman smile. 

"Should I have to lay down my life for the country my husband holds dear, I will do so willingly. The love I feel for him convinces me that we shall never truly die. He and I will forever be inseparable." She'd never seen Tiye look so grieved but as the women locked eyes, she felt a stirring of heartbreak crack her own in two. 

"Were he another man, perhaps I too would have been enslaved. But, the Gods saw fit to bless me with a good and righteous man. My children are blessed to call him father. He would move heaven, hell, and even the earth for them, this I know. This I believe."

The atmosphere had grown melancholy and a single cry broke it apart. Responding to the need of her newest child, she watched as Tiye got up and went over to the small bed, housing the baby that lay inside. Cradling the child against her bosom, she turned and smiled once more, the action stronger this time. 

"We will not go down without a fight. He is not weak and neither am I. We will fight until we take our last breaths. Please be assured of that." Now, Mishil hugged herself, fat tears blurring her vision. 

"As for Young-ho, let's not fear. He once protected you from death. He protected us all from death. It's our turn now to resist the hand of death that encroaches upon him." 

*** 

The anxious squeal of the wild boar deafened the hooves of the horses and an arrow sliced through the air, narrowly missing it. Adrenalin had started to travel through his veins and his heart pumped fast against his chest. The trees above provided welcome shade, and the cool air that drifted down through the leaves kissed his hot flushed forehead, sweat providing a thin sheen to his face and neck. 

"You almost had him, Jeon." 

"Your hooves are too heavy." He replied, asking his horse to slow his steps. 

"We must be quiet if we wish to capture the boar." Lim laughed suddenly as he too brought his horse to slow. 

"You are a master of the hunt now?"

"Nowhere near a master. I've just had plenty of practice." 

"Ah,"

"Like the deer, you must not startle the boar." Eyes watched as he pulled another arrow out from his pack. 

"You must put yourself in its place, think how it would think." It was quiet now as they followed him deeper and deeper into the forest. Arms relaxed, he assessed the ground, catching faint hoof tracks. 

"This way," Fingers drew back arrows. A crackle and all were alert, twisting their heads towards the sound. He lifted up onto his thighs, aiming his arrow at the approaching boar. Just as it ventured out, he released his arrow. Striking the beast in the forehead, it let out a surprised squeal before falling over onto its side, a low grumble of its death hitting the air. Nostrils filled with air, he turned only to freeze. Four arrows were drawn and aimed at him.

"I heard that you were excellent in hunting."

"What are you doing?"

"Be honest, Gang. You told of our plans, didn't you?" 

"Is this why you lured me out here?" 

"The King isn't as unassuming as before so it's only natural that we would suspect you. As you said before, you don't like any of us and well, we don't and never have liked you." Song, the old pissy bastard smirked. 

"We only tolerated you for Gang Yooshik's sake. Were it left up to us, we would have disposed of you long time ago."

"And the mother of my child? You'd dare rob her of its father?" At that Lim and Jeon began to laugh, its sound taunting him. 

"Your wife is the one who offered you up to us. She believes, like we do, that you're a part of the problem." Nausea rippled through his stomach. I knew it. This is why I shouldn't have come. 

"You've been a pain in my ass the minute you stepped into the court." He didn't have enough time to arm himself before a single arrow zipped through the air and struck him in the chest. A whoosh of air trailed out of his mouth and eyes full of disbelief and betrayal bugged before growing watery. 

"Good riddance to you, cheonmin filth." With a hard slap of the reins, he took off ahead of them, soon disappearing into the foliage. 

"Leave him. Our work is done." Song said with a satisfied grin. 

"He'll be dead before nightfall anyhow." 

"Thanks to him we at least have meat."

"It's the least he could do for our kindness." 

"Tie it up and let's return." 

*** 

The trickle of water against her toes made her smile to herself. It soothed the still slightly swollen burn of days past on her foot and brought a sigh to her. Leaning her head back, she allowed the wind to kiss her neck and closed her eyes to the sunshine adoring her with light. She knew she had to hurry back but this moment was too good to pass up.

 Lifting her chima, she stepped into deeper waters, wiggling her toes against the soft grasses and rocks that lay at the bottom of the stream. Dipping the ewer into the water, she filled it up to drink the refreshing cold. Here, alone, their silly rules didn't apply and she could drink as she pleased from whatsoever she pleased. 

Satisfied, she sighed and dipped it low underneath the surface to gather the freshest coldest water before lifting it up once more. A shrill whinny startled her and she turned to see a horse there at the banks, nostrils flared and eyes wide in fright. There atop the spooked beast was a crumpled man who lay against it. A man who was of grave importance, dressed in the blue color of the Imperial court.

 Throat tight, she at once started for the banks. The horse... she recognized it. Tossing the ewer to the ground, she ran closer, her heart thumping into her ears. As she grew nearer, she could see that the man's blood covered the horse's side, streams of it now dripping onto the ground. Lifting shaky hands, she lifted the man's face upward by the chin. A scream of anguish escaped her mouth and she tried to lift his head.

"Young-ho! Young-ho!" Sniffling, her eyes dropped to the butt end of an arrow that protruded from his chest. Droplets of blood fell upon the ground. Murder. Sniffling, she hastily wiped her tears. She could cry later... she had to cry later. Right now, she had to bring him to safety. Chin trembling, she grabbed the reins and quickly led the horse towards the Queen's Palace, forgetting the ewer there by the bank side. 

*** 

"ROYAL SISTER! SISTER TIYE!" The doors to her chambers were strewn open and a frantic, distraught Anat pushed herself into the room. 

"Nanet... what is i-"

"Young-ho... he...he's dying..."

"Dying? I can't understand you, please... slow down." She nearly hyperventilated and at the press of Tiye's palms against her cheeks, she tried to slow her breathing, eyes fluttering closed. 

"I was at the river... gathering water. His horse sought me..."

"Yes..." Lifting her face, concerned eyes looked into hers. 

"Someone tried to kill him... they... they're killing him..." Now, kneeling, the woman let her grief be released in panicked sobs, her hands up to cover her face. 

"Please....sister... he's bleeding everywhere... help me save him... help me save my husband..." Pressing kisses now against her forehead, Tiye wrapped her up in her arms. 

"Breathe, Nanet. We'll do what we can." Voice calm and quiet, she rubbed soft comforting circles against her back. Lifting eyes upward to the stunned gungnyeo, she spoke now with a firm voice. 

"Take him to my private infirmary. Immediately." 

"At once, Your Majesty." 

"Come now, beloved. He is strong. He will survive." Lifting her face from her chest, she kissed her wet cheeks. 

"Let's go to him together." 

*** 

"Where is he?" A man stood in front of the doors to the Great Hall, native Goryo steel in another. By his side stood a fleet of soldiers, arms drawn back with arrows, others with swords of their own in positions of defense. His gaze was stony as he took in the scene before him. Ministers nearly engulfed him but arrows pointed in their direction. 

"WHERE IS THE KING? WE MUST MEET WITH HIM." Throat tight, he spoke, voice raspy with anger. 

"Where he belongs. On the Throne." 

"We request an audience with him! Now!"

"Where is my brother?" He hissed, tightening his grip on his weapons. 

"How are we to know where he is? Perhaps he is between the legs of a woman as we speak." 

"Lies," He snarled, eyes now glittering with fury.

"You intend to incite panic and hysteria and I will not have it. State your business with the King."

"Must we take appointments per your permission? You treat us as though we are a threat to His Majesty!"

"That has yet to be determined. What I do know is that my brother was last seen with you. And here he is not among you now. Until you give me a definitive answer of his whereabouts, here we will stand." 

"It is true that some of us went hunting with him. However, before we could return, he was trampled by his horse."

"How did he come to be trampled?" 

"You really dare to accuse us of harming him? What would we gain from that? Are we all not His Majesty's servants?" 

"You are. He is." Tightening the grip of his sword, he spread his feet apart just a tad, into a stance of defense. 

"I am the King's Armor and I will not let you pass." His voice rippled with power, causing a few members of the court to back up.

"Under the order of His Majesty, effective immediately, we will conduct a thorough investigation of everyone in the palace."

"On what grounds?" 

"Treason." 

***

"The arrowhead was dipped in Violet Monkshood." Fingers slowly rotated the stem of the arrow. 

"What is that?"

"A lethal poison." 

"Aren't you hurting him more by doing that?" 

"I cannot just pluck it out, Lady Kkot-bi. I must make sure to pull it out in one piece. Should the arrowhead get lodged inside, I will have to cause more damage to retrieve it." Lips closed, and tightened and so did fingers. Laying on a cot, his robes had been carefully opened and cut to expose the arrow jutting up from his chest. The Royal Physicians had been called and so had the shaman. They all stood around his limp, pale body. Slowly, the physician removed the arrow, a sigh of relief in the head still attached. 

"We must bleed him to draw out the poison." Byeol, the Head Mudang knelt beside him, her hands hovering above his body. She spoke in quiet whispers before looking up at her. Lowering her eyes down to the man, she began to chant again and her eyes never again looked at her. A small blade was lifted and his incision was cut open the slightest bit more. Now, fingers pushed on the wound, a gush of reddish-black blood oozing out and dripping down the side of his chest. 

"His pulse is weak but it is present." Another push and squirt of blood. Gripping Tiye's hand tightly, she could do nothing but watch as the man she loved now took fever, his cheeks crimson and forehead gathering sweat. 

"Will he live?" She asked, voice low and quiet.

"There is nothing we can do for Minister Gang now. It is up to his will as to whether he lives or dies." To their horror, his once unmoving body suddenly trembled and he started to vomit violently, bloody brown bile spilling up across the sides of his mouth. The physician lifted his head and tilted it so that he wouldn't choke. His body shook as he wretched, hazy disoriented eyes opened. 

"The poison plays with his consciousness." Byeol spoke, pressing her hands flat against her lap. 

"Lay back for me, Gang-ssi." His unsteady gaze lifted up to her and tried to speak but the sudden spew of vomit wouldn't let him and he coughed and spit the putrid phlegm out of his throat, tears slipping down his face. 

"Please lay back." His eyes fluttered closed and he weakly did as she bade, allowing her to wipe his mouth and chest. True to her word, just as quickly as he had gained consciousness, within a blink of an eye he had lost it again, growing limp once more. Skin slick with sweat, the mudang lifted onto her feet. 

"This is his fight now. We cannot interfere."

*** 

White. Everywhere was white. White clouds. White snow. White water. White rice. White teeth. Glancing down at his body, he found himself seated at a table, clothed in a startling white hanbok. Simple. One that tied at the waist, without all the frills. Like ones he used to wear. On the table in front of him, he found a bowl of plain rice. Curiously, there was another bowl adjacent to him, a cup of wine there waiting to be consumed. 

"It's not going to jump up and get you, Young-ho." He lifted his gaze to see a man sitting across from him, a man who had the same face that he did. Uncontrollable emotion washed over him and he let his eyes drift down to the table, afraid that if he looked up again, he would be gone. 

"So, you're not going to eat then? Looks like I'll take it." A hand holding extended jeotgarak reached out but one of his own moved in front of the food, blocking him. 

"Am I...dreaming again, Hyung-nim?" Warm eyes softened and a smirk drifted up onto his lips. Letting go of the jeotgarak, he felt electricity thrum through his body as the hand of his brother grabbed his, his palm warm, made warm from blood and flesh and bone. 

"If it were a dream, would I be able to embrace you, little brother?" Fingers enclosed around each other and a dam within him burst free, letting grief and agony free to wet his cheeks. He couldn't speak... not so soon... but then he didn't have to. His tears served as his voice. How they screamed. How they grieved. How they yearned for him. Tears of his own began to well in his eyes and he lifted the hand of his brother, pressing it against his own cheek, now wet. 

"I've missed you too. I've missed you so much." 

"H-Hyung-hyung-nim..." He sobbed, tripping up over his words with loud gasping breaths. Tightening his grip on his hand, he moved it down to lay against his chest, against a heart that beat healthy and strong. 

"Why... why did you... leave me..." 

"I had to."

"No.....no you didn't... you wouldn't have..."

"Brother,"

"THEY TOOK YOU FROM ME!" He yelled, voice full of teary rage. 

"I won't forgive them. Any of them." 

"And what will that do to your heart, Young-ho?"

"If it has to die so that I can get my revenge then so be it." 

"You're not a fool, brother. Don't insult me by speaking like one." He let go of his hand and resumed his meal, lifting the slender sticks of silver. Bringing some rice to his mouth, his eyes watched his younger brother by a couple minutes, lift both of his hands to his face. 

"That's the reason why I did all of it. Everything I did Hyung-nim...it was for you." He was silent as he continued, 

"I vowed to find out the truth. Of what happened to you... I made you a promise that I would find who did it and kill them." 

"It's a promise I never asked for." Now, pulling away his hands from his face, he sniffed, chin trembling as he glanced down at his rice. 

"Knowing that you would take a life just to appease mine saddens me." 

"Hyung-nim..."

"Eat, Young-ho." With a heavy sigh, he took hold of the bowl and brought the rice up to his mouth. 

"How I left you, how I left Do-won...it was injustice. Pure and simple. But, a life for a life never truly repays the sin." It was his turn now to listen. 

"I've been in this world, just beyond the one you live in...with so much time to think. I've watched you, watched everyone. It makes me so incredibly sad."

"You don't wish for justice? You don't think your life is worth avenging Hyung-nim?" As bright as he knew him once to be, his brother smiled sadly, a smile that managed to reveal his deep sorrow. 

"My life was simple. It was good, while I had it." He chewed slowly, focusing on each and every word. 

"I lived as well as I could. It brought me pleasure to care for you... for our youngest brother. It made me feel useful... important. It didn't matter that we were poor. As long as you could eat I could rest knowing I'd done well." His eyes let the sadness escape and a warm tender look graced his face. 

"I would rather be there with you... sharing in your joys. Seeing you now is enough for me." He stopped eating and met his gaze.

"You see me now because you are dying, brother." Placing his jeotgarok on the table, he swallowed what remained of his food. 

"You've been dying for a long time. Without me, it must have felt like a great loss. I know."

"It has felt as though my heart is ripped apart every single day..." He confirmed, taking a sip of his wine. 

"Here, time ceases to exist. Here, you do not grow old and you do not know sickness. You do not love or feel happiness... laughter... even pleasure. All of it... is beyond your reach. You watch from this mirror as the ones you love grow old, wither away, and die. It's quite cruel." He gave a noncommittal grunt and kept eating.

"Will you be content to watch her from here? Anat?" That caused him to pause. 

"You didn't intend to fall in love with her. She didn't intend to fall in love with you. But, fate wills you to be together." At that, he swallowed what was in his mouth and slowly lowered the bowl back onto the table. 

"Will you be at peace knowing that your absence will break her spirit? Should you choose to leave your mortal body behind, it will cause her soul to die. She'll never find rest."

"What of Mishil?" His brother finally took his gaze away, his eyes reflecting back up at him as he looked into the cup of clear wine.

"I have suffered a thousand more deaths being apart from her, being bound to this place." Silence ensued now between the siblings. Guilt now drifted up from him.

"You may have envied me but I now envy you. You are flesh and blood, able to hold the woman you love."

"Hyung-nim-"

"You did what was right. With Mishil. I don't take any offense to what happened. Because of you, her heart will now finally heal. You gave her the closure she desperately needed." Licking salt from his lip, the two of them glanced up at each other. 

"I will love her until time decides to stop altogether. For a while, I'll be satisfied with her moving on. As long as I get to have her in the end." Young-ho chuckled mirthlessly. 

"How fate must hate us. To damn us both to love women we cannot have. Why must we suffer for the sake of love?" A warm laugh bubbled up from the throat of his Hyung-nim and he closed his eyes as more of it came out, the sound of it made him smile, teeth and all. 

"Fate was not on my side. I seem to be the unlucky twin, hm?" Sharing another laugh, the brothers sighed and relaxed. 

"Unlike me, fate is however on your side." 

"As I sit here across you actively dying?" 

"You make the choice. Whether you want to live or whether you want to die. It is ultimately up to you. Your heart will not succumb to darkness. No matter how much you want to let it consume you."

"I won't have you, should I live." 

"Yes, you will." Reaching for his hand, he clasped it tightly. 

"You've been granted two lives and a third presents itself to you now. Live, Young-ho. Grow old with Anat. Have lots of children and laugh a little every day."

"I don't want to be apart from you again." 

"Die, and you will have nothing...all of our suffering... don't let it be for nothing." He released a weighty sigh and tears once again started to tease the corners of his eyes. 

"You are me and I am you. We are one and the same. Two bodies," Taking a shuddery breath, he lifted teary eyes up to his brother, who for the first time since they met, smiled with a radiant smile, a smile so radiant the light from it nearly blinded him. 

"One soul." He answered tearfully, hanging his head. 

"Honor me with a long healthy life. Be happy. Be fruitful. When it is in the appointed time, we'll be together again. I'll be here waiting for you. I'll be here waiting for all of you to join me." 

*** 

Light smashed into his body and he jolted awake, mouth gaping, breath harsh. For a moment, he lay still, disoriented eyes trying to adjust to the darkness of the room. It felt as though his body was being slowly drawn back into the present, having once floated up high above in different realms and dimensions. It felt strange. 

"You've returned." The voice sounded much louder than it was and he closed his eyes to all of the overstimulation. The light, the air, the bed he laid on...how heavy he felt... even the pain that started to bleed and tickle his senses. It all was too much too soon. 

"Who are you?" His voice sounded rough and hard, unused. 

"I am Byeol. Mudang of His Majesty." Her voice held a weight, an otherworldly presence that in different circumstances would have given him chills. 

"Where am I?" 

"You are in a safe place. The Queen has hidden you from the outside." 

"Where is she?"

"The Queen? Or the woman you know as wife?" Feeling that he could try again, he slowly opened his eyes, bringing the woman into his visage. She stood near the door as if she'd just entered the room, hands pressed against her stomach. She wore the garment of the mu, a simple white hanbok, the folds lining the length of it dyed blood red. 

Patterns and symbols were stitched into it, a larger more ornate belt, depicting birds, flowers and cranes covered the circumference of her waist. On her head, she wore a short fitted hood. Her lips were painted red, to symbolize her ascension into the deep mystery of the Gods... and to showcase her high status within the palace. Her eyes were held a mysticism to them as they glanced at him. 

"Both..." He breathed, the pain in his chest now intensifying. 

"The Queen has returned to the Palace. Your wife, however, draws water at the spring." He didn't speak, trying to take in every bit and piece of the information. 

"Your fragmented soul has been restored. Your other half has given you some of his life force to complete the journey back into the realm of the living." Again, he remained quiet, hissing as the pain now trailed down his side. 

"She made a paste, the Seer."

"Who?" 

"Anat. She has extensive knowledge of plant life and medicinal Korean herbs." Drawing closer, the woman lifted the bowl of a strong-smelling paste. 

"It is thanks to this that your wound has started to heal."  Inhaling sharply, eyes shot up at her as she began to rub it gently into his wound, now closed with a suture. 

"Many days will pass. It will leave yet another scar upon your body. But, it will heal." Gritting his teeth, he bunched up his nose as she continued to rub the paste until he finally snapped at her to stop, pleased in the hand that drifted back. 

"What purpose do you have here, Byeol-ssi?" Her lips smiled. 

"I am here to ensure that your destiny is fulfilled as written by the Heavens."

"Is that so?"

"The Seer does not perceive it yet, her gift to communicate with the Gods hasn't been tapped into nor has it been properly trained. But, her grief and sorrow for you is for naught."

"Grief?" 

"She hasn't eaten in three days. She stays by your side throughout the night and when she sings, her voice reaches the ears of the Almighty. They hear her and she shall garner their response." His head had begun to hurt from her talking riddles and he, exhausted, allowed the smell of he medicine to usher him into sleep. 

*** 

Screams of agony could be heard from hallway to hallway, deep within the bowels of the prison. Pleas and voice, anguish and torture. In a room sat the King himself, his guards surrounding him. Two of them stood on either side of a man, long thick poles in between his legs. With each push, the closer his joints grew to be dislocated. The man he recognized as one of his ministers screamed and thrashed about, incoherent to the questions being asked. 

"Stop." At once, his guards released the pressure. Sweat soaked the man and he sunk back against the chair that he had been tied to. 

"I'll ask you again. Who seeks to overthrow me?" 

"I...don't...know pyeha..." 

"Interesting. Minister Song named you." The man paled and his entire body began to shake. 

"Song. Lies. Pyeha." The man pushed out his words with each breath. 

"You dare lie to your King? Song didn't need this much to convince him." Yooshik asked, voice steely and gruff.

"....please...pyeha....spare me...I tell the truth..." Fists balled up.

"Hyun,"

"Yes, pyeha,"

"Beat his shins." 

"Yes, pyeha." 

*** 

When he woke, he felt a heavy pressure against his arm, and upon opening his eyes, he found Anat there, laid against his shoulder. She'd been sitting in her chair but slumber had claimed her and she'd leaned forward to curl against him. The smell of medicine wafted deep into his nostrils but he could in fact also smell the dressing that she used on her hair. He'd seen her use it a couple of times now and the scent of it always pleased him. When asked what it was made of she always answered that it was something that Goryeo could not replicate. 

Her hair had been fashioned in four or five big chunky braids, held back in a low ponytail by a piece of twine. The sight of her made his stomach flutter. It wasn't often that he watched her sleep, most times their meetings were quick and hurried. They never could stay together long. He hated it.

He hated the pain he caused her. It wasn't his intention... their intention. But, it had happened. They had happened. A soft smile teased his lips as she released a small sigh, slightly poking out her lips in sleep. 

"Her life belongs to you," Feeling his heart jump into his throat, he turned to see the Queen standing there, observing them. Cheeks a pale pink, he could only swallow as the pain gathering in his chest rendered him incapable to move. 

"Sunbae-nim...." 

"Her heart, body and soul chose you. Were you to stop breathing, she would too." The gravity of her words dug into his wound like fresh salt. 

"She is not a woman to experience for a moment."

"No... she's not." He agreed, eyes finding her sleeping form once again. 

"Her heart laments at the injustice the two of you face here. Were you in Kush, life would be so very different. Her heart longs for our home."  He wanted to lift his hand and touch her hair, wanted to keep her near him. 

"And you, sunbae-nim? Does your heart long for the same thing?" It was a while before she spoke, eyes downcast. 

"The King needed to return here. He needed to fulfill the prophecy told before his birth. As his wife, I-"

"Sacrificed your desires for his own."

"His desires are my desires. We exist together as one." 

"And now? Will your desires be fully realized, sunbae-nim?" She didn't answer, only smiled to herself. 

"It hurt her deeply you know."

"What did?"

"Hearing that Minister Gang's wife is pregnant." At that, he felt his skin grow cold. 

"Her womb desires your seed. Her body wishes to birth your future." For a moment, he said nothing, bared the pain as he lifted his free arm to drape across her. 

"She expressed this to you?" 

"Yes," Inhaling deeply, he lifted his eyes to meet Tiye's. 

"Her desires are my desires." Her smile deepened. 

"I've chosen everything... placed everything above her until now..."

"Everything you've done has been for her. For Do-won. For the brother you lost. You've had to make choices and decisions that have not been easy... you've sacrificed too." His arm hugged Anat tighter. 

"She is well aware of this. She doesn't blame you for any of it, Young-ho. She knows your heart." His eyes grew misty with tears and he swallowed a lump in his throat. 

"I want to choose her... I... I want to put her above everything else." 

"Then, do as you will. Choose her. Love her. Just don't let her go. Don't let her fall." Now, the Queen turned her back to them. 

"I fear we have yet another war we must fight now. This time, it exists within the walls of Goryeo. Prepare yourself."

*** 

Eighty-four officials, palace attendants, and noblemen had been interrogated. Talk swept through the Palace, talk of the King's cruelty. The common people felt no ill will, as he had given them the opportunity to live a better life, a life with adequate food, clothing, shelter, and access to medicine. They praised him, glad that he was not a weak King. The aristocrats and the elites, however, despised the King. Fueled by their own self-seeking desires, they chose to omit the great deeds he had accomplished, chose to omit the aid and help of his wife's foreign army against the Mongols from the annul. When Gang Young-ho returned to his position in the court, they made their move.

*** 

There was an eerie hush that fell upon the Great Hall as he entered. He stood tall and proud as he parted the sea of red, blue, and green. As he passed them, he turned hard, cold eyes towards them, the ferocity within them making some of them grow pale. 

"Gang Young-ho," Lowering to the floor, he bowed his head to the floor. 

"My King,"

"You're returned."

"Yes, Your Majesty. I eagerly return to my post." 

"What caused your absence?" Just as he was about to answer, a voice he recognized as Minister Pyo of Taxation stepped forward, having recovered well from his interrogation. 

"Pyeha," Eyes lifted from the bowed man now to him. 

"What." He asked, tone flat. 

"We wish to provide the reason as to why Gang Young-ho was absent." 

"Can he not speak for himself?"

"Were he to speak, he would not dare reveal the truth." 

"Stand, Minister Gang." Bitter taste in his mouth, he slowly stood, careful to keep his expressions neutral and calm. 

"It is with deep sadness that we report that Gang Seo-hyun has been murdered." At that, he turned now to look at the smug bastard, who now stood center. 

"What did you say?" He asked, disbelief stunning him.

"It pains us to also report that their unborn has also perished." 

"Minister Lim!" He bellowed, his voice revealing his fury. 

"Minister Gang Young-ho of Law Enforcement has been hiding under the guise of a horse trampling for the murder of his wife."

"Prove it." He seethed, eyes and voice full of raw anger. The King moved not, he just stared down at them. 

"We have an eye witness report from one of their servants who was there the night he killed her." Every eye in the room watched as a woman he instantly recognized as Seo-hyun's maid entered the room, her face low and reverent. She neared as close as she was permitted and bowed. 

"Taewang-nim," 

"State your report." He ordered, eyes briefly glancing over at him. 

"On the night in question, he returned intoxicated. They got into an argument."

"Over?"

"His affair with Lady Kkot-bi." He felt as though the wind had been knocked out of him. 

"The rumors are true! He has been sleeping with her!" Talk now lowly started to drift up amongst them and he, he stood there shaking. Numb as he watched the bitch blatantly lie in front of him.

"She told him that she wanted to leave him, that she was unhappy with his neglect of her."

"And?"

"He mocked her and her condition...stating that no one would take a pregnant divorced woman as wife. He told her that if she wanted to leave, she would have to die." 

"Pyeha, she's lying."

"I dare not lie before the King!" Now, she had the utter audacity to look him in the eye. 

"I saw you. She walked away from you and you grabbed her. You beat her until she couldn't fight back. And...and then... then you stabbed her." She began to cry, covering her face with her hands. 

"He stabbed her in her stomach so many times that her innards were visible." 

"Pyeha,"

"You made me clean it up! You told me that if I didn't, you would kill me too. I had no choice, Taewang-nim." 

"What's more, we did an investigation of our own, amidst the suspicions of treason, Taewang-nim. In our attempt to bring the truth forward, we discovered that he had written letters to the Queen's woman detailing his desire to usurp."

"You lying pieces of shit!" He hissed now, cheeks red with fury. 

"You must arrest him, pyeha!"

"Arrest him!"

"Investigate him!" He turned toward the King and at once fell to his face. 

"They deceive you, Taewang-nim! None of it is true!"

"Arrest him!" 

"Investigate him!" There, in the Great room, the voices of his Court demanded retribution, demanded justice. He felt his heart plummet to his feet as he heard the next few words. 

"Take him into custody." Lifting his head, he eyed the King with incredulous eyes, now in such disbelief at what was happening that he didn't resist or fight the men that lifted him up from the floor. Yooshik remained stoic and cold, eyes watching him being led out. 

*** 

"What are you doing?" Eyes looked up to see an infuriated woman standing behind him. 

"What do you mean?"

"You threw Young-ho in jail?! Are you out of your mind?" Returning his gaze to the mirror, he proceeded to continue his task, combing his hair. Nighttime had fallen and the news of Gang Seo-hyun's death had by then reached the ears of the Queen. And, other news that lit her heart ablaze. 

"He won't spend long there."

"He shouldn't be there at all."

"You clearly disagree with my decision."

"I more than disagree." Eyes falling away from her, now they focused on the comb his fingers held as it glided through his hair. 

"Whether or not you disagree is of little relevance. What's done is done." His words caused her to walk right up to him and yank the comb out of his hand. Slamming it down on his vanity, she breathed harshly through her nostrils, eyes wild. 

"How dare you..." Turning slightly, he reached up and grabbed hold of her face. Her attempt to pull away made him tighten his grip and pull it closer. 

"I am the King of this country. I must have order." 

"Seuljong should have been retired for the evening. Has he now taken over your entire being that you forget yourself as my husband?" At that, he loosened his grip just a tad until finally letting her go. 

"Admit that you've fallen prey to paranoia. I'd accept that. I'd accept anything but this. I will not accept this."

"What the hell would you have me do, Tiye?" 

"That woman killed herself out of spite." He laughed humorlessly, eyes looking up at her in disbelief. 

"Why would she do that?"

"A bitter woman will do anything to get back at the one she wishes to hurt." He snorted. 

"I'm telling you. They're trying to set him up." 

"We'll discover why. Once I know, I will release him." Sighing now, he scrunched up his nose and went to reach for her, grasping air as she moved back. 

"You've offended me with your words tonight. Give me space." Clenching his jaw, he let his hands fall into his lap. 

"I pray to B'sst that you see past the web they've spun around your mind. By the Gods above, Cheol-su... I beg you. Don't be a foolish king like your father was." 


 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: AHHHHHHHHH WHOA. WHAT A CHAPTER! The beginning of the end and all hell breaking loose is upon our babies. There are so many nuggets in here, so many favorite moments... from Tiye and Mishil's POIGNANT conversation to Young-ho's reunion with his brother Byung-ho. THAT made me emotional. My poor baby... how he missed his other half. 


So, did I intend for Young-ho to sleep with Mishil? the answer is a big fat N-O. Never even considered it. As I stated last chapter, hehe I'm just out here flowing okay. I ain't asking questions. LOL. It was more than just sex. 


Mishil needed closure... she needed to let her guilt, her pain, grief and her torment go. It speaks to Young-ho's heart because he knew that. He acknowledged that he and his brother shared the same face but were completely different men. While he came there angry.... furious actually, in the end, he chooses mercy, grace, and understanding. He'd indulge her for a time so that she could get what she needed and say goodbye.  


The government officials setting Young-ho up and trying to kill him just infuriated me. It wasn't beneath them however and I, with my author justice, would not let them succeed in a scenario where it would have been covered up meticulously. NOT ON MY WATCH. 


Originally, I was going to have Young-ho intercept the inner court, find out who killed his brother and take his revenge. Young-ho's original end was not like what I wrote it LOL. The man was executed. WHEW. He deserved better I thought.


Also this chapter, we see the weight and burden of the Crown starting to wear on Cheol-su. He's human so he's bound to make mistakes and less-than-wise decisions. I wanted to show that side of him... how he relied on Tiye's counsel. I also wanted to show the two of them in moments of disagreements/arguments.  Being King I'm sure at some point, inflated his ego as the years went by and he needed to be brought down a peg or two. I love how Tiye tells him to back off and give her space. LOVE THAT. Take a breath, clear your head and come back together. YES. 


I have the final chapter all ready to go. I will upload that tomorrow hehe. 


Thank you for all your love and support on this labor of love. 


DL







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.