Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

fifty 

 maheunyeol 

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

  Feet trudged on as the terrain steadily growing more and more hilly. Time seemed to stop and the world started to blur. 

"Stop." Feet paused. 

"Drink." 

"We have to keep-"

"Drink." Hands took the offered canteen and drank some of the contents, sighing in relief. 

"Where are we?" 

"I don't know."

"Where are we going?" The top was re-fastened and given back. 

"Somewhere safe." 

***

He'd given her instructions. Go to the place we first met. 

The gallop of a horse sounded in the night, the trees and road covered under the veil of darkness. 

Take my brother.

"Noona... where are we going? Why are we going away from Hyung-nim?" 

Take the Crown Prince and Princess. 

A bundle was tied to her chest, inside an infant less than a year. Thankful that she kept quiet, she cracked the reins, pushing the horse to run faster. 

Hide and wait for me. 

"Auntie Kkot-bi, I'm scared. Where's mommy?" Sweat beaded up against her hairline. 

"I'll explain later. Hold tight to each other so you don't fall." Sitting in opposite directions with her in between, the smaller of the two boys gripped the other's hanbok tighter. All were silent as the beast brought them further and further away from the palace. 

*** 

It all crumbled. The Throne for the first time in over 600 years was vacant, the King who once sat upon it gone. Chaos rose up like the ember of flames and the angel of death, should he have his way, would stain the inner walls of the Palace red with blood. 

*** 

Red. Red, rich and vibrant like thick paint splattered everywhere, leaked and oozed out from the bodies. It was their time anyhow. She had been so beautiful in her younger years, fresh-faced and virginal. Yet, one thing that had never changed was her eyes. How stern snd serious they had been even from that young age. And he, he had been strong and virile, handsome and ambitious. Smooth plump skin of youth. Now, it made lips smile at how weak they appeared, how... terribly un-godlike. How human. 

 Sagging skin, now rough and weathery with age. Wrinkles, age spots, and brittle bones. Their later years had not been kind to them. Hair once jet black now silvery-white sprawled across the woman's face, hiding a haunting expression of permanent shock frozen in her features. The man, who had grown fat, looked pinched as if were you to pop him with a pin, air would explode out of him. 

"They're dead. Find him and his foreign bitch. They're next." 

*** 

Sky and wind. Water and sun. High. Low. Bustle and rustle of people. Low covered hood and low head. Were they going to make it? Feet hurried and hands held steady that smaller ones would not trip and fall on branches. All around seemed to close in. The garment of the King had been abandoned for simpler clothes. Jade, gold and silk had been traded for cotton and plain shoes. Fingers held tight together. Nothing. There was nothing. And so, it led them into the forest. 

*** 

Gang Young-ho had spent a few days in prison, under intense interrogation. On the fourth day, the King visited him. At the command to leave, every person in the vicinity left, leaving the two of them alone. For a while, he, seated in a chair looked down at him who laid bloodied upon the ground. 

"Young-ho-ah," His lips were cracked but they answered him. 

"My King," The man released all the tension from his body with a deep heavy sigh. 

"I ask that you forgive me." Hanging his head, he stared at the dirty straw-laden floor. 

"How have you wronged me, Your Majesty?" 

"I don't sit here as your King at the moment." He remained quiet.

"I want to apologize to you."

"For?"

"Not trusting you. For forgetting who you are as a man."  He clenched his jaw. 

"I've lost myself... in becoming King. I've lost my identity for a moment." Curling his fingers up into fists, he slowly pulled himself up onto his knees, moving his bruised body into a sit. 

"I'm sure with everything you've had to shoulder, it would make sense...sunbae-nim." He answered, voice quiet. 

"You are like a brother to me, pyeha. You already had my forgiveness before you even asked." At that, the older man sighed again, this time releasing the weight that he had carried. 

"Tell me the truth. What happened? Why did you disappear?" At that, he was slow to speak. 

"They tried to kill me." 

"They?"

"Song. Lim. All of them." Dark eyes stared down at him, turning to glance away, his jaw tight. 

"Are they the ones plotting against me?" 

"Yes," His eyes grew firm.

"When I left Kush, I left with the dream of leading my people into a promised land. I wanted to create a world where babies would not starve, young boys would not steal and young girls would not have to bare their breast for coin." 

"You've done that, sunbae-nim." 

"I haven't even achieved half of what I wanted to. But I've tried." He'd never seen him so conflicted, so vulnerable, so raw. It chilled his body. The Great King, the big powerful God-man now sat as just a man before him, power shaky and less potent than what he'd perceived. 

"I finally understand why my father had enough. As King, sometimes you have to make choices that go against your morals. For the good of the country. I wonder, though, at what cost does one's love for their country turn into insanity?" 

"Pyeha?"

"Were it left up to the people, no... were it left up to those bastards, they would have preferred my brother to have been King. A murderer who fed on the flesh of child and woman." 

"And they would have regretted every single moment of it. I heard he was a sick bastard." As if remembering who he was speaking to, he bowed his head in apology. A small smirk flashed his way. 

"He was. But then, in some ways, I am too."

"We all are to some extent, pyeha." The King cleared his throat. 

"I've known. The hatred for my wife. The hatred of what they cannot understand. They forget that it is thanks to her... thanks to her people... that they were not annihilated." Young-ho swallowed. 

"They have asked me time and time again to denounce her and cast her aside. They have said that the people will be pleased with a woman of noble Korean birth." His stomach knotted up at the implications. 

"They wanted me to marry my sister. They would rather have something as sacrilegious as incest than be content with their King's happiness." His eyes had grown dark with anger. 

"I have tried to have all of what I desire. Kingship. And Tiye. Now they have forced me to choose. My country. Or my wife. I choose Tiye. I will always choose her." It seemed his words resonated within him and the older man sat back in the chair, curious yet intense eyes upon him. 

"What will you choose Young-ho?" 

"Pyeha?" 

"I'm sure you know what awaits you now once you leave here. Your position, your rank, and your status will remain the same. But you are aware. Aware that people will now look at you differently. They will treat you differently."

"Yes..."

"And Yooshik? Though the claims have yet to be proven, shame has been brought upon his shoulders due to the accusations against you." That caused Young-ho to wince as if he had been struck. 

"I... I did everything I could... to not bring about this result."

"I know that. He knows that. He is on your side. He believes in you. However, now the Gang family is in damage control. In order for you to rectify this situation, there are protocols you must adhere to."

"Such as?"

"You must pay the family of the deceased woman a substantial sum, a price seen to be what she herself was worth."

"And?"

"You must be in mourning for a period of 45 days."

"And?" 

"You must marry again." His nostrils slightly flared. 

"Tell me honestly...how do you feel about Anat?" A range of emotions sprung up on his face. 

"I love her." Satisfied with the answer, he nodded. 

"I wanted to hear it from your mouth. Good."

"Yes...pyeha..." 

"Yooshik leaves the decision up to you. Should this be what you want...then you and Anat need to communicate well about it... about your future together..." 

"Should I refuse?" 

"He will remove you from his family register." The news, to any other person, would have been akin to a death sentence. But to him, he only sighed as if a large weight had been lifted. 

"Do-won-ah? What of my little brother?" 

"He will remain in the register." His body relaxed and he lifted his head upward. 

"He will remain Gang Do-won." 

"Yes," At that, his lips smiled and he nodded to himself. 

"Very good." The older man took in the younger and for a moment, things were quiet between them.

"You would not return to cheonmin status. You'd be placed in the Jungmin caste and with Yooshik's recommendation adopted into one of their families. You would retain your position within the palace, per my authority. They will try to veto you out but, I am the only one who can approve such a decision."

"Pyeha... you don't have to do any of this. I need no pity." He'd glanced down at the ants crawling on the skin of his big toe. But looking up at him now, the man's eyes were full of conviction. 

"I don't do any of this out of pity. I do this because you've earned my respect. You deserve to be happy, at every cost." A stunned breath left his lungs. Coming to stand, he instructed the guards to open the cell. As he turned to leave, he said in parting,

"Consider wisely your next move, hoobae. Consider yourself a free man as of now." 

*** 

"She's full, hm?" Looking up, she found her husband fondly standing in the doorway to her chambers. Warm eyes drifted down to their daughter who had fallen asleep against her breast. 

"She is beautiful. Just like her mother," Cheeks flushed slightly as lips pressed a kiss to her forehead. 

"Da-som sleeps so soundly." His voice was soft and he leaned down to kiss her tiny face. 

"Perhaps you should try to get some rest too, Tiye." 

"I can't." 

"Can't or you won't?" 

"Please, my love, not tonight. You know why I can't." He pressed it no more, only lifted her by the chin, and kissed her sweetly. 

"Will you stay the night with me?" She breathed against his mouth, eyes closed. 

"If that is your desire,"

"It is." 

"Then, so be it." 

*** 

It was said that the Queen had begun to have nightmares, gruesome dreams that frightened her enough that she had stopped sleeping. Convinced that they would meet their end should they close their eyes, his beautiful wife slowly started to suffer mentally. It broke his heart to see the love of his life decline and he knew that they would implement the plans they had spoken of long ago. 

*** 

She'd heard them come in behind her but she had kept working, seating on a cloth of spiritual symbols. 

"How may I help you, Your Majesties?" 

"We are here to speak to you about something very important, Byeol." She opened her eyes and slowly turned towards them. Bowing her head, she remained so for a minute before lifting. 

"You wish to know your options. In case those in your inner circle try to take your life." Her King nodded, eyes intense. 

"Heaven wills another way, my King. Heaven does not desire your life so soon." 

"What are our options?" Now, the Queen spoke and she smiled in response. She liked her, and felt as though they were one and the same. 

"Please, sit. Let's discuss." 

*** 

"The King has abandoned the Throne. What now will we do? Who will sit upon it? One of you old bastards?" Voices filled the space, drifting out into the halls. Heads bowed lowly as a person passed them. Lilac-blue and pastel lavender robes moved in the wind and soon, the doors were opened, causing the chatter to cease. Light feet stepped in and at once every head bowed. 

"Gongju-mama...w-we welcome your presence." She didn't say a word, the King's sister. Instead, she focused on the Throne before her and slowly ascended up the small set of steps. Turning, she took her time sitting down. Slack mouthed and in shock, many of the ministers could do nothing but stare. 

"The Former King and Queen have been found murdered. Our current King and Queen have gone missing. Were word to reach the people, we would have complete anarchy." She spoke, voice full of authority. Winged tips of hats looked back at her. 

"Is there no surviving male heir to ascend to the Throne?" Their meaningless chatter grated her nerves. They resembled birds. 

"The only surviving male heir belongs to dethroned prince Wang Seo Jun." The voice of one stated and that caused more chirping.

"We must locate him and instate him-"

"That child is no longer amongst the living. He, like his father suffered an untimely fate." 

"Gongju-mama..."

"Until the King returns to us, I shall serve as Queen Regent. Effective immediately." They could do nothing but bow. 

"Let it be so, Jungjeon-mama." She had, like her brother, had placed all of the pieces on the board and now, all she had to do was simply move them one by one. Everything had been pre-arranged. She'd set it up so all he had to do... all they had to do was escape.

*** 

Horse hooves beat into the ground and the body of man and beast flashed in and out of the trees. Breath panting, the man commanded the horse on, not satisfied until the sight of the place he'd once called home came into view. The blood had been wiped from his face. His body carried bruises that were slowly healing. He wore simple non-extravagant clothes. His hair in a ponytail. Slowing the horse, he thanked the Heavens for the cover of night. Dismounting, he clutched the reins tightly, as he stood outside of the stone entryway. It seemed like ages had passed since he'd last been here, this humble meek place. And finally, he was right to return. 

Inside he stepped, nearing the door. Tying the horse to the small hitching post, he slowly unsheathed his jin dao. Hands on the hilt, he slowly opened the door with a free hand. Inside, he found the remnants of a fire, very recent in dying. The sliver of the moon trailed in through the window. Quiet careful steps entered and eyes surveyed the empty room. 

"To what does the bird say to the sea?" He asked the silence, flexing his hand as he turned, watching for any sudden movement. 

"To what does the bird say to the sea?" He asked again, his voice a tad bit louder. Still silence. Until a soft low voice answered not yet revealed itself, 

"I glide my wings upon your vast surface." Relief washed over him and he slowly lowered his sword. Slowly, a floorboard lifted and dark eyes peered up from underneath the floor. Soon, the whole of it was shoved to the side and at once the small woman lifted herself up and out. He barely had time to sheath his weapon before she came rushing at him, slamming into him. At once, he could hear her cry against his chest, her hands reaching up to grip and claw at his hanbok. 

"Anat..." His arms came to surround her and they hugged her tightly. 

"I thought you weren't going to come..." She whispered, voice full of tears. Taking her small face in between his large palms, he lifted her gaze upward. Thumbs wiped her eyes now and lips pressed a kiss against her forehead. 

"Where are the boys?" He asked quietly, welcoming her head against his chest. 

"They felt asleep not too long ago." 

"The Princess?"

"Also asleep. For now." Nodding against her, he closed his eyes, ears taking in the slight hiccup in her breath as she tried to calm herself. 

"We have to get you to the docks. There is a boat there that has prepared and instructed to take you home." At that, she lifted and her eyes were wide. Elation spread warm across her face.

"I can't go without Royal Sister Tiye... has... has she been found?" His gaze grew sad. 

"Unfortunately not, no." The news crushed her and she appeared pained by the news. 

"You have an opportunity to leave here, Anat. If you stay, you will be killed."

"And you? What about you? You will die too...if you stay." 

"I can't leave my brother. I'm all he has left."

"Come with me. Both of you." Now, her hands had taken hold of his cheeks and she had brought his gaze downward. 

"Don't make me do this alone..." Foreheads now against one another, he felt pain rip him apart. 

"I need you." Her words were shaky and they were ones he never thought she'd ever utter. But here she was, completely stripped and raw, her heart and her soul pleading with him.  Choose her. He allowed his hand to take hold of her braid. At her short inhales of teary breath, he stole it away from her with a kiss. Love her. Another quiet kiss in the night grew deeper. Don't let her go. Overwhelmed with emotion, she welcomed both of his hands now in her hair, and fingers gripped the strands into a loose fist. Don't let her fall. Panting now against her mouth, he inhaled deeply through his nose. 

"I had the opportunity to start over... do it all over again." He breathed, eyes soft with passionate intensity. 

"I declined. Because of you. I choose you, Anat."  A string of light kisses now to her bottom lip and once more fully before he let his hands fall from her hair to grip her hands. 

"I cannot torture you anymore. I can't say that I love you and put you through it all again."

"Young-ho..."

"You are the only woman I shall have as my wife. My life belongs to you. My place is with you." His arms wrapped her up again and she sighed against him, tears now of thankfulness slipping down her cheeks. 

"Do-won is almost an adult. He will be the one to decide what his fate will be. I will not regret leaving him in Yooshik-hyung-nim's care." Gripping her hands tight, he looked into her eyes again.

"You and I...we will go. Before daybreak. Not a moment before, not a moment after." 

"As you wish it, raajili."

*** 

The warmth of fire crackled and two forms pressed together as meat from a small animal slowly cooked. In the distance, the setting sun kissed the horizon, soon to have an affair with the moon, her shape further up in the sky, waiting for her turn to shine. 

"Tiye?" It was a while before the woman answered, her head against his shoulder. 

"Yes, menre?"

"If I could turn back the hands of time, we never would have left Kush." His statement settled in the air. 

"I feel like a grave disappointment to you." 

"Have I ever expressed such to you, Cheol-su? Have I ever called you a disappointment?"

"No." Eyes focused on the meat now starting to show signs of being done. 

"You are the love of my life. You are my bright sun, my star. You are my world." Now, her words settled in deep. 

"The highs and the lows of Kingship... of marriage... I wouldn't want to share any of it with anyone else but you." Lips smiled as hands pulled back the piece of meat and lips blew air on the hot surface, gently taking a bite. Deciding that it was good, that same hand passed it to her. 

"Eat, sweetheart." Eat she did and under his observation she felt her cheeks grow pink like they did when they were but children. They'd grown older and they had changed. She was no longer a young girl and he no longer a young man. No, they had matured well beyond 29 years and it felt like a lifetime already that they had been together. Yet still, through the ups, and the downs, she still chose him. He still chose her. They would never let their love die. 

"They are bound to search these parts sooner than later."

"I know." Meat forgotten, he took off his jeogori and wrapped it around her. 

"Soon, it will grow chilly."

"But you shall keep me warm." Smiling against her lips, he pressed a soft kiss against them. 

"Lie in my lap." She scooched back to allow his body full space to stretch out and soon his head laid back against her thighs. With a content sigh, he welcomed her fingers as they lightly scratched his scalp. The wind carried the sound of the drum and it was bittersweet to her ears. Braids loose around her, she smiled down at the now sleeping man who rested in her lap. It never took him long to fall asleep and for the first time in a long time, he reminded her of the man he'd been years ago, calm...at peace... no worries marring his handsome features.

"Shall we go then my love?"

*** 

The bodies of King Seuijong and Queen Jeongjung were found two hours outside of the palace in caves once dwelled in by ancient peoples. When they were found, they were immediately brought back to the Palace and the period of national mourning began. 

*** 

Her eyes held tears as she looked at the body of her brother. In death, his skin had grown chalky white, no color even in his lips. At 29 years of age, she could see that the pressures of the Throne had started to leave threads of silver in his hair. As she watched the members of what used to be his Court bow in reverence and say goodbye to him, she felt her chest burn. She waited, until everyone was gone, to release her grief, at once crumpling up against the chest of her sibling. Her sobbing was quiet but she lifted her hands to grip his myeongbok. 

"Oppa-nim...you didn't... deserve this end.... not you..." She wailed, her tears making dark spots of moisture arise in the fabric against her face. 

"I will forever owe you my life, oppa-nim. I vow it here and now." Making it to Tiye, she broke down, her crying now a bit more audible. 

"Eonnie..." Chin trembling, she laid her head against her chest, allowing the pain of losing her to wash across her. 

"You're...the sister I never had... eonnie...it's...not's fair..." Sniffling, she laid against her chest for a moment more before lifting up. 

"Your Majesty...I'm sorry to interrupt you..." 

"No. It's... it's okay." She forced herself to stand and lifted hands to wipe her tears. Sucking them back with a large inhale, she swallowed them down. 

"Notify those belonging to the nation of Kush still in our Kingdom that their sovereign has died. The Palace will compensate them for their service to her and to us out of respect."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Eyes finding the woman who had been everything to her, she straightened her shoulders, letting silent tears fall. 

"I'll prove them all wrong, eonnie. I'll show them how powerful we are. I'll show them what a woman can do." 

*** 

1047


"The Queen enters!" Heads bowed low as a woman entered the Great Room. Eyes were low as she stepped up onto the platform, turning to sit. The crown on her head tinkled with small bells, signaling her seated posture. At once, the officials lifted their gaze. 

"Welcome, Jungjeon-mama. You are kind to grace us with your presence." Much like her mother before her, this Queen was beautiful, her eyes stern and unyielding in their power. Red lips remained loose and they smiled. 

"Minister Pak, you are too kind." At her compliment, he bowed his head lower. Letting her eyes survey the host of her Court, she felt a pinch of happiness come to her. 

"How do you fare, Great Queen? It is the anniversary of the Great Former King's passing." 

"King Seuljong's reign was unprecedented and I make no attempt to replicate or outdo his accomplishments for our great country. Let us do well to remember him with honor and respect." 

"Yes, Jungjeon-mama." 

"Where is my son?" 

"He plays with Gang Do-won in the courtyard." 

"Ah," Clearing her throat, she shifted in her seat. 

"That's enough trivialities. Let's start our meeting."

"At once, Wangbi-mama." 

*** 

Two years had passed. The nation was still, remarkably, in mourning over the death of King Seuljong. How telling it was that the common people loved him so. It came as no surprise to her, however. She knew what kind of man her older brother had been. She, once known as Wang Mishil, had been crowned Queen officially 45 days after the funeral. She now reigned as Queen Ingyeong. Fair and beautiful, she captivated all who she came by, grace, elegance and sophisticated refinement left in her wake. As fair and kind as she was known to be, she also was known to be vicious and ruthless should the time call for it. 

*** 

"Jeongjeon-mama! Please don't do this!" Eyes watched each and every last member of the former Court before her, kneeling before her. Blood had painted the earth red and already two heads had rolled and been collected. The screams and pleas of wives, aunts, and daughters could not be ignored as one by one, whether child or man, each member of the two families were beheaded. 

"Song was the ringleader was he not?"

"P-Pyeha?"

"Was he not the central figure in the coup against the late King?" The man, Lim, rubbed his hands against one another, an askance of mercy. 

"Yes, my Queen." Eyes narrowed and lips pursed. 

"If that be true, why do you ask me not to kill him?" He paled. 

"It doesn't matter how you beg for his life or for you own. You all will die here today."

"Jeongjeon-mama!" 

"The true murderers of my brother stand trial on this day. May the Heavens never forgive you." The woman sat still as the head of Lim was without warning sliced clean off, thumping as it fell against the ground. Lifting eyes to his screaming wife and daughters, she tightened her jaw, a cold expression on her face. 

"Behead them."

"At once, pyeha." 

*** 

By the time she was done, she'd purged the Palace of 35 out of 84 officials and their families, ranks varying in degree and time served. Even a couple who had once served under Young-ho's command were found to have conspired against him and they too were killed. With the remaining 50, she let that serve as her introduction to her reign. As bloody and gruesome as it was, it could never be said that she was a weak Queen. Or a weak woman. 

In the first year of her reign, she'd re-instituted the Academy that Cheol-su and Tiye had first launched all those years ago. With a focus in female education, well-being, and self-defense, she had appointed Gang Yooshik's wife, Won-hae as Head Mistress. To her pleasure, they'd only enrolled a few palace attendants but now in the second year, the doors had been opened to those outside of the palace and the numbers were steadily growing. 

She'd employed the services of 34 new, fresh-faced eunuchs, civil servants, scholars, and government officials. With their arrival, new laws had been enacted, giving women more leniency, more rights, and more freedoms. To her satisfaction, no one dared to utter a sound of displeasure. Out of fear or not was beyond her to dwell on. It humored her greatly though. 

Sitting now under the fan and parasol, she watched as her son laughed, playing with water from the lake. Told of her unfortunate inability to bear more children, she'd taken custody of Kim Kyubok. Nephew by blood, she now called him her son, having adopted him and brought him to live with her. His origin would forever be a secret, one she would take to her grave. Kim Jae-hwa was permitted to enter the palace to see him five times per year, a privilege she took advantage of wholeheartedly. 

An appropriate companion for him was none other than Gang Do-won. Though older than him, the boy seemed to gravitate towards him in an older brother way. It warmed her heart to see how much they loved one another. Gang Yooshik had legally adopted him as a son after Gang Young-ho disappeared, no... after he chose to go after his own happiness. 

In a way, his leaving with Anat made her think of what could have been, had she and Byung-ho been allowed to do the same. It made her happy to know that somewhere, at this very moment, they were together. She hoped that they were experiencing the joy of life. In speaking with Yooshik, he revealed that they all regularly kept in contact and he sent Do-won gifts each year as well as his own personal letter. 

"Your Highness,"

"What is it?"

"Choi Hyung-sik requests an audience with you." Lips revealed a small smile. Choi Hyung-sik. He was employed as a royal scholar, and adopted into the prestigious Gyeongju Choi family. His origins were surprising and, to her, very interesting. He'd been born and raised in the Cheonmin sector from birth and became known for his skills with his hands. Building and constructing, word had it that he was a brilliant architect. His studies now consisted of how to make the palace structures safer. Her gaze lifted to see the attractive man's form bowed before her. 

"Come closer, Choi Hyung-sik." He bowed his head and approached, fashioning his body in a bow as was appropriate. 

"My Queen," Her cheeks grew pink as she let her gaze drift across him. My, he was stunning. He had enviable beauty and she was sure that many women had been full of it. Thick shapely eyebrows and an elegant slim nasal bridge. Slightly rounded nostrils. A set of pouty kissable lips. Dark mysterious eyes, eyes she wanted to see more of. Taking the tip of her fan, she pressed it just underneath his chin and lifted his head. His magnetic gaze drew her in and she felt warm. 

"Why have you come to me?" 

"If I may dare to be so bold, my Queen. I came to speak with you about the Palace interiors."

"This couldn't have been done appropriately, scholar? Was it so urgent that you did not follow proper protocol and request an appointment?" His eyes dropped, focused now on the designs etched and painted into the sides of her fan. 

"Look at me, Choi Hyung-sik." At once he did. 

"Answer me." 

"It is my duty to ensure that at all times you, my Queen, are safe. Were I not ardent in this, what good would I be to you?" At that, she laughed, the sound genuinely humored. 

"You wish to be good to me, scholar?" Eyes downcast, they once again looked up at her. 

"It is my deepest wish, Wangbi-mama." Lips now in a small smirk, she let his chin free, slipped it open and began to fan herself. 

"Very well then." Tapping the seat next to her with the end of it, her eyes once again took the boys in sight as they played and laughed. Get up. Sit. He slowly got up and sat down. 

"It may be my foolish opinion, but I recommend that we try to widen the doors. Too cramped of spaces will continue to cause injury."

"Hm."

"Pertaining to the Queen's chambers, it recommended that more security features be employed so that assassination attempts will not succeed."

"There are those who wish to assassinate me, Choi Hyung-sik?" At that, he blushed and she enjoyed it immensely, watching him fidget. 

"No...Majesty...I dare not insinuate that." 

"Go on," 

"I have noticed that we use a lot of outdated design templates. Traditional and hardy, I am more than aware. But, perhaps we should use more technological advances like they do in Yuan." 

"I trust you will show me?"

"Your Majesty?"

"Your designs."

"Of course. Yes. Whenever you wish it." It was quiet for a while and he cleared his throat. 

"My Queen...I have sought your presence for another reason. A... non-work related inquiry." 

"That is?"

"Why do the King's chambers remain empty? Do you not desire to take a husband?" At that, she turned to look at him, his dark curious ones making her heart flutter. 

"I am aware that such a question warrants death." She watched his plush pouty lips form the next words. 

"I will gladly accept the penalty of such an offense." It took her a while but she fanned herself a bit harder than what was necessary as she answered.

"I see no reason or point for a husband. I cannot bear children." A thoughtful silence ensued. 

"If not for child-rearing then what purpose will he serve to me?" 

"Perhaps for companionship, my Queen. It is always good to have at least one person who you can call your people, someone who will remain by your side." His answer made her smile. 

"How old are you, Choi Hyung-sik?"

"Twenty moons, your Majesty." 

"Have you ever loved before?"

"No." 

"I, in my twenty-six years, have loved before. Deeply. I do desire to experience it again." 

"But?"

"A Queen must sacrifice for her people. I am Mother to the Nation. How can I put my own needs before the needs of my people?" The man licked his lips and thought about his answer before his eyes dared to glance at her. 

"Life, my Queen, is all about balance." 

"Oh?" 

"Too much of one thing is not good, it is not the way to experience life. Should you have equal amounts of everything, you will find that your desires...your innermost needs will be met." 

"I've encountered many men like you, Choi Hyung-sik. Men who attempt to seduce with their words." His cheeks grew pink but he dared not look away from her. The action pleased her more than words could say. 

"My intention is not to seduce you, my Queen." 

"But the truth in your eyes reveals that you are attracted to me." At that, his gaze fell away and his blush grew. 

"You...you are a beautiful woman who simply, as I observe from a man's perspective, deserves to have a mate worthy of her." 

"Do you think you are worthy?" 

"Ah, I would never be so forward as to proclaim such a thing! I am... no fool. I simply mean to have a stimulating conversation with you, m-my Queen. I am nothing and nobody." Bowing his head, he slowly rose from his seat. 

"If you would excuse me, my Queen." She watched him leave her presence, the stirrings of desire tickling her nether regions. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps Young-ho was right. Maybe it was time to open her heart again, a sliver at a time. She too, deserved some semblance of happiness, didn't she? 

*** 

Shouts of joy rose up from the throats of those around them. Black bodies danced and swayed, voices sang and rejoiced, petals of lilies thrown up into the air. Bare brown feet took a step forward, the cool marble providing welcome relief from the hot sun. The body of the woman was dressed in fine clothes, proclaiming her high status. Pure gold anklets adorned petite ankles. A short sheer linen skirt had been draped around and across her hips, emphasizing her round bottom and slender yet toned thighs. A fitted band adhered to the shape of her breasts, made of several layers of light-flowing linen. A shimmery paste had been smoothed into her exposed midsection, arms, and legs, making her appear as though she, a Celestial being, had just descended from the Heavens. Around her hips hidden under her skirt there laid a thin chain of bells, a sensual testament to her femininity and fertility.

Her hair had been fashioned into braids, twine of pressed gold, silver, and pieces of shells braided into the plaits that nearly traveled past her bottom. Long, strong, and sturdy, they glittered beautifully in the streams of sunlight that passed over them. Upon her head was a red veil that touched the floor, made of see-through gauze. Stitched down the length of it were gorgeous flat golden disks, the light of it reflected tinted shade across her skin. 

Away from her and up ahead, there stood a man. A sheer overlay drifted down and across his pleasing masculine body, revealing a folded linen skirt around his hips. Enclosed around his neck was an intricately designed wide collar, made of beautiful purple, red, and bronze. His shoulders, arms, and chest were exposed and his toned physique was a welcome and appreciated sight. His hair smelled sweet like expensive perfume made from the earth. Made into slim braids by her own hands, they were pulled up into a high ponytail, a solid gold holder keeping them together. He was brother to King Sekhemrekhutawy, the Great God of the Sun, the one who held Lion's mane and his roar. 

"Go to her, Young-ho. She awaits you." Taking a breath, the man stood a step forward. The sunlight kissed his skin, now nicely golden. His blessing upon them. Neither stopped until they stood in front of each other, so close that one could touch the other. 

"Auntie Nanet looks pretty!"

"Yeah, like a princess!" Voices of children filled the hall and lips smiled. 

"We've welcome you to our shores as kin to the King. Of both land and spirit. Now we welcome you again, as husband to our dear Anat."

"It seems Goryeo has fertile soil for husbands."

"Such attractive husbands at that. Perhaps I should venture there to decide for myself."

"Hush Nettie! Do you now want to get married?" Teasing eyes watched on as the Queen spoke. 

"Receive her, Young-ho." Lifting hands to her face, all were quiet as he brought their foreheads to touch. She lifted hands up to rest against his chest, her eyes full of tenderness and love. A sharp yip erupted at the meeting of their mouths and eyes watered as he gently lifted her up into his arms. 

"Our Nanet deserves the world."

"He shall give it to her, whatsoever she desires."

"A child, perhaps?" Feet now back onto the ground, music started to play and voices began to sing once more. Hugging her close, the two of them began to dance, now smiling and laughing to themselves. Reaching up to caress his jaw, she pulled his head down to whisper into his ear. His cheeks grew pink, hers red and suddenly, he let go of her. Eyes locked, she bit into her lip as she took his hand and began to lead him away, towards the place no one else but they were permitted to go. 

"Ooh, that looks like a yes."

"She'll take his seed tonight for sure." 

"Good then."

"Mind your business." Lips pursed but they also smiled. 

"You may be Queen but you are still our sister."

"And mother is still our mother. Leave them be." 

"Yes, Queen Tiye." 

"Quit!" Laughter sprung up in forms and tears, teeth aplenty. 

"Don't you think it's time, my love?" She asked, turning to her King who sat next to her, comfortable and relaxed. 

"Time?"

"To write Mishil. She deserves to know the truth." He had been hesitant and with good reason. Their transition back into Kush court life had been difficult the first year. The events leading up to their escape still so surreal. They'd come back from the dead. They'd escaped in the thick of night, entrusting their secret with Yooshik and Hae. It was thanks to them that they were able to make it to the docks and onto the boat. Given by the Gods a new chance, an opportunity to reset, they had lived in harmony and peace ever since returning home. And now, with it approaching the third year, her dearest little sister needed to be made aware that they were alive. They were alive. Healthy. Missing her presence day by day. It warmed her heart to know that she had embraced and stepped into her femininity.

"Very well then, sweetheart. I'll write to her at dusk." 

*** 

"They say that the Queen read the letter and wept for days. I'm sure she felt so many emotions, far too many to name." 

"And then what happened?"

"Queen Ingyeong ruled for 50 long years before she finally passed away of natural causes. She never married, however, it is said that she had a single lifelong companion, a royal scholar that she took as her lover and confidant. She adopted four children, most of them were rumored to have been orphans. Her eldest son, Wang Kyubok forfeit the Throne and his younger brother took the seat, tragically meeting his end less than a year later." 

"Wow, it's like he knew not to go for it." 

"He was infamous for stating that he did not want to inherit the Royal Throne. He lived a good life as a prince." 

"Wow,"

"Yeah, Queen Ingyeong is famously noted for breaking the glass ceiling for women's rights and concerns. She showed the world that women could be just as intelligent and capable as men."

"She was a badass bitch." 

"Oop, girl, quit."

"I'm just sayin'. She was out here kicking it to patriarchy!"

"And what about Queen Tiye of Kush? They both was killing it."

"Queen Tiye of Kush maintained the longest reign of peace in Kushite history. She made so many opportunities possible for young women and girls in her own country. She and the King remained married and eventually grew old. Before they died, they made a promise to each other to meet again in another life." 

"That's so sweet! Wow."

"This exhibit is popping! I'm glad we came!"

"I'm hungry y'all, let's go eat."

"Okay, I be there in a minute." The chatter of her friends left her standing in silence. Eyes on a painting done of the King and Queen, she felt her heart beat faster. She couldn't explain it. The strange dream she had been having leading up to this day. It was so weird. Memories of a man she'd never seen before, never talked to before...feelings she'd never before experienced... all of it sent electricity thrumming all over her body. 

Looking up at the beauty of the one they called Tiye, she felt a sudden presence there and turned, gasping as she took in a guy who was now standing next to her. He stared up at the portrait too, mouth gaped open, taken aback just as she was. He smelled of coffee and judging by the barista pin he had on his jacket, she guessed he worked at one of the local coffee shops. Wetting her lips, she took a nervous breath. Focusing back on the portrait, she felt her heart tweak a bit. He was really cute. Like... suuuuper cute. 

"Pretty..." He vocalized to himself, eyes dropping to view another artifact taken from Kush. It had clear and distinct Korean influences. Pieces of what appeared to be a Kush-inspired hanbok. 

"It's like they tried to blend both worlds." She uttered, feeling her cheeks grow warm as he turned his head to look at her. There it was again, the feeling of electricity, now zooming all over her body as their eyes locked. He knit his eyebrows slightly. 

"Ah... do we... have... have we met before?" He asked, his Korean-accented English stunning her. 

"Um... I don't... think so?" 

"Ah, sorry." Sheepish, he flushed in embarrassment and took his eyes away from her. But the two of them could not move. It seemed like an invisible forcefield kept them stuck. They could only look up again and stare at the portrait of the man and woman. It was kinda funny how the closer they looked, the more they started to resemble them.

"My name is Hyun-jung. You?"

"Abeni."

"Ah,"

"It feels like we're stuck..."

"It does." 

"You smell like... coffee."

"You kind of...look like her. Queen Tiye." For some reason, as awkward as this forced conversation or attempt of a conversation was, her cheeks grew pale red. This random ass man making her blush was absolutely ridiculous. This was not a Korean drama... 

"Um...Abeni?" 

"What?"

"I know we just met but.. I have the strangest feeling to take your hand." 

"Um..." He appeared super embarrassed because what was happening between them was... not able to be explained. She couldn't help but feel as if she'd known him for a long long time. Her heart pounded in her chest as flashbacks of the dream she had came rushing into her head, as though they were memories... laughter and sunlight. The smell of incense and warm skin against hers-oh. Glancing down, she found that he had taken hold of her hand. Soft gentle kisses in rain and red noses and cheeks in snowy fields. 

"Hyun-jung?"

"Yeah?"

"I feel like I've met you before too." He didn't say anything at first, seeming to grapple with the fact that they, two complete strangers, were now holding hands in the now-empty exhibit of the National Museum of Korea. 

"Like in another life maybe?"

"I don't know... maybe." 

"This is really embarrassing. Please don't think I'm weird."

"I don't."

"I'm... gonna let go of your hand now."

"S-sure." Letting go, the energy between them was just as awkward as it was familiar. 

"I... um... I hope... we meet again, Abeni." Taking in his flushed face, she felt herself smile. 

"Yeah, me too. Under... less weird circumstances." Smiling back at her, his handsome smile caused butterflies in her stomach. 

"Are you.. staying in Korea long?" 

"No, we leave in a couple days." 

"Ah."

"Yeah,"

"Well then maybe we can do coffee or something. I um... I work at a coffee shop downtown."

"What's the name of it?"

"The Fuzzy Bean." Grinning, she pursed her lips. 

"If I had a dirty mind, I'd make a really inappropriate joke right now." Chuckling, he blushed a deeper shade of pink. 

"Come visit. Before you leave." 

"Okay, I will." 

"See you later then," 

"Yeah, see ya." He turned to walk away, she saw the form of another hovering over him. Blinking, she squinted her eyes to make sure she hadn't gone batshit crazy. He turned back to glance at her, lifting a sheepish hand up to rustle his hair. There, the face of the man in her dreams, the man in the portrait mingled with his own. At last. My Yeonwang. She felt tears now well up in her eyes as he turned and walked away, leaving her alone. 

"Beni, come on! There'll be plenty of guys for you to flirt with in Hongdae later!" 

"Aye do you know him? Y'all was acting weird."

"Why you hold his hand? He you secret boo or something."

"Girl, shut up! I have no secret boo. Leave me alone."

"Nah nah nah, explain why you was holding his hand and shit like y'all was long lost lovers!"

"He thought I looked like her."

"Nah he wanted to mack." Huffing, she welcomed her friends' laughter and teasing as they left the museum, eager now to fill their bellies. At last. My love. 

"Maybe he needed to hold somebody's hand. Maybe he going through something, shit..I don't know! I told y'all to leave it alone!" For another lifetime and yet another. We shall always and forever remain as one. Until the end of the age. 


fin 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Here we are at the end, how's everyone feeling? hehe. I've seen some comments so far and I appreciate them! The ending was NOT how I envisioned it originally. As some of you know, my original intention was to have Tiye and Cheol-su perish (for real) at the end. As I started to delve deeper into the story and into the facets of the characters, I said... they deserve better. A huge part of me knew that you, my readers, wanted a happy ending also but I didn't know how to incorporate that LOL. I spend time thinking about how I could re-configure my ending as to where both you and I would be happy hehe. 


Having Mishil reign as Queen was totally unexpected but very welcome! I wanted to give her her own happy ending and have her leave with IMPACT. What an impact indeed! She made it possible for Young-ho and Anat to escape, seeing her and Byung-ho in them. She ascended the Throne, entered into the Palace with a Bang, and served a rude awakening to all who would serve her. " I will end you should you cross me." 


Nearly every part of this chapter was my favorite. From Young-ho telling Anat that he chooses her and escaping to Kush, to Tiye and Cheol-su's 'last' moments in the cave. I even love Mishil's playful banter with her love interest, Choi Hyung-sik. 


This labor of love has been full of ups and downs both in the story and in my personal life. What a ride haha. I didn't think that Yeonwang would hold as much weight and excitement as it has for you guys ;___; I am so humbled! 


It definitely to some extent feels 'unfinished' which is what I was going for. The story has ended but... has it? Tiye and Cheol-su will continue to be together, Anat and Young-ho also. I also like to believe that when Mishil took her last breath, having loved Hyung-sik and feeling the fullness of love and life, Byung-ho was there to welcome her into the next realm. Together, perhaps the three? (oop) of them could live happily ever after LOL. 


I love the little interaction with reincarnated Tiye and Cheol-su at the end though y'all lol. They awkward and cute hahaha. And so the string of red fate entwines them again hehe. 


I await greatness and even more creative works of art in this upcoming year hehe. Please be on the lookout for a prospective 2023 writing schedule!! 


Love you all. Thank you. Be well. God bless, 


DL




Picturessss hehehehe 


Okay first and foremost, let's say hey to the modern day Tiye and Cheol-su, otherwise known as Abeni and Hyun-jung. 




Lee Jae Wook as Hyun-jung: 



 


Madeline Destin as Abeni 


ig: 14x.maddy



 


Lee Jong-suk as Choi Hyung-sik: 



 


Picture that inspired Anat's 'wedding' dress (the one on the right, red one):



 


Her hair:








Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.