Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Flashback

David and Larissa had been dating for 3 months when he decided it was time to introduce her to his mom. Larissa was not like any girl he had ever met or been with. She was confident, classy, sweet but sassy all in one. And he liked it. She was black and he had never dated a black girl before, which also added an element of mystery to her. She was passionate in everything she did,the way she dressed, danced, and the way she loved. They had a strong connection when they met and it was obvious there was strong chemistry between them. They met at football and band camp through their mutual friends Reese and Elisha.

This evening, David invited Larissa over for dinner. His mom was eager to meet her. She knew that David was dating a black girl and if she was honest it took her by surprise. No one in her family had ever dated outside their race. They were proud Puerto Ricans and loved their culture. She had an unspoken expectation for David to bring home a Latin girl. When he showed his mom a picture of Larissa she was taken aback. She could not deny that Larissa was beautiful. She also could not deny how her son's eyes lit up when he spoke about her. She could see the signs...he was in love. No other girl he dated in the past seemed to have this effect on him. It was puppy love with them, but with Larissa, she knew it was something deeper.

Gloria set the table for dinner and went into the kitchen to take the food out the oven. There was a knock on the door and David opened it. Gloria walked to the door and saw Larissa. She paused looking her from head to toe, before David's voice snapped her out of it.

"Ma, this is Larissa. Larissa this is my mom."

"Hi" Larissa reached out her hand to Gloria.

"Hi" she shook her hand still taking in Larissa's appearance and her outfit. Her clothes were tight, hugging every curve she had. She wore long black weave with a part in the middle and her baby hairs were laid. As they shook hands, Gloria noted she had long light pink acrylic nails with diamonds on them.

'Woah, she's high maintenance' Gloria thought to herself. She never thought a girl like her would be David's type. All of his girlfriends before were hispanic, wore their natural hair and if they wore nails they were not as long and extravagant as Larissa's.

Maybe her son was going through a phase she thought. He did listen to alot of hiphop and rap music, maybe that was having some effect on the type of girls he liked. Gloria hoped it was just a phase, because Larissa was not what she was expecting... or wanting for her son.

"Can I hug you, I'm a hugger" Larissa asked.

Gloria laughed nervously. "Oh sure, sure" they hugged and Gloria gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Welcome to my home, I'm Ms.Gloria..I've heard alot about you"

"I hope all good things" Larissa joked.

"Of course" Gloria smiled.

David sucked his teeth "what am I gonna tell her, bad things about you? " he shook his head.

Larissa giggled at his sarcasm.

Gloria called for her other children to come to the table for dinner. David introduced them to Larissa, they said Hi.

His youngest sister blurted out "You're pretty like Princess Tiana".

"Awww, thank you" Larissa said bending down to her level to hug her.

"You are so pretty too" Larissa smiled at her.

"What do you say" Gloria interjected.

"Thank you" his sister said shyly.

They sat and ate dinner, making small talk. Larissa felt the conversation with his mom was forced and she felt like his mom spent alot of time in her head. She could tell she was thinking alot, and about what, she didnt know. But if Larissa had to guess she thought it was about her. She didn't think his mom was too fond of her. Maybe she was not the type of girl she expected David to bring home, Larissa thought to herself. His siblings were friendly and welcoming, especially his little sister who was fascinated with her acrylic nails. Dinner went on and finally it was time for Larissa to go. She said bye to the family and drove home, calling David as promised when she made it back home.

"So what do you think about her? " David asked his mom as he swept the floor.

"Umm...Bonita" Gloria answered.

"Ok...and what else?" David chuckled.

"She's...different. " Gloria admitted.

"Different? Whatchu mean?

"You know David."

" No I don't Ma."

Gloria sighed. "She's black."

"Yea. Ok. So?" He said as his eyebrows furrowed.

"David. She's a black girl. You are a hispanic boy. Not a good combination." She shook her head.

"What do you mean, not a good combination?" He asked with irritation in his voice.

"You have nothing in common."

"So because she's black we don't have anything in common? You don't even know her. We have a lot in common."

"What? Sex?" Gloria stuck out her neck, tossing up her hand.

David looked down, shaking his head in disbelief. This was so outrageous to him that he smiled to keep from yelling. He looked back at his mom.

"Really Ma? This is what we're doing now?"

"Don't talk to me that way" she pointed at him.

" What you saying does not make any sense. You saying our relationship is about sex? It's not! I love her! Ok?!"

Gloria scoffed. "You don't know what love is. You're just un niño"

" And you and dad do, I guess? But where is he?! " David questioned, stretching out his arm.

"¡Cállate la boca!" She shouted. "You need to be with a Latina and that's that David. Latina women are strong, we understand our men and the struggles they have in this world. Just like she understand only black men and their struggles. After all your father put me through and I'm still here for him! Still here David, supporting him. Only a Latina woman will do that for you".

"Thats some bullshit" David said, dropping the broom, storming off to his room, and slamming the door, making Gloria jump. She looked down and leaned against the counter, sighing. One day, her son would understand, she thought to herself.

End of Flashback

Larissa got dressed and headed over to David's after he told her she could come.

David sat outside on the porch, enjoying the sun and waiting for Larissa. Then Ms. Ortiz's door opened, and Gabriella came outside wearing a tank top and a ruffled mini skirt.

"Still carrying around that doll, huh?"

She joked at the doll sitting on David's lap. He was ready for the project to be over but was sticking with it, doing what was required of him.

"Yea, unfortunately," He said.

"I can watch her sometimes if you want," She giggled.

"Here," he handed the doll to her quickly.

She giggled, taking the doll from him as she smiled, placing a curly strand of hair behind her ear.

"What's her name?"

"Zuri or some shit," David said, taking a drink of water.

Gabriella laughed."What kind of name is that?"

David chuckled. "I don't know. Larissa named her. She named hers Zonnique."

David turned to Gabriella and smirked.

Gabriella smiled, but the smile quickly left her face when he mentioned Larissa. "Oh, she has one too?."

"Yea, we're in the same class. I tried to get my teacher to let us just share one doll, but she said no." He shook his head.

Gabriella was looking down irritated with the thought of him and Larissa playing house.

"She's on her way now with Zonnique," he said using air quotes.

"Oh... I was at the game yesterday." Gabriella said, attempting to change the subject.

"Oh yea?"

"Yea. Did you see me?" She smiled.

"No," he said nonchalantly.

" I saw you make that touchdown. They won because of you". She smiled and pushed his shoulder playfully. He turned to look at her and barely smiled.

"There's no "I" in team," he said. "We win or lose together."

"Oh, come on, David. You know it was because of you, " She teased him.

"Hey, I didn't say that, you did," he smirked.

"You didn't have to, I know you're thinking it."

" So you're a mind reader now, you know what I'm thinking ?" he joked.

"Yea," her voice was low. She uncrossed her legs and then crossed them again, looking at David. He looked down for a moment at her movements. He looked back at her with a serious and questioning expression on his face before he stood up. Just then, Larissa pulled into the driveway.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes.

Larissa got out of the car and was quickly embraced by David as he wrapped his arms around her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"Hey sexy," He whisphered against her lips.

"Hey," she blushed.

Gabriella was boiling inside as she watched them from the porch.

They walked toward David's front door.

"Larissa, you met my neighbor Gabby before, right?"

"Yea, I've seen her around." Larissa gave an uncomfortable smile before saying "Hi".

Gabby sat with her legs crossed, the sides of her tan thighs exposed, which Larissa noticed. She looked up at Larissa and gave her a very short "Hi" followed by a phony smile.

David looked between them, sensing there was some tension. He led Larissa inside the house.

Gabby rolled her eyes and said "Bitch" under her breath.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.