Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This story is supposed to make you laugh and not to be taken too seriously. I hope you enjoy! 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"What did you just ask me to do?" Minerva looked at her boyfriend as if another head had suddenly sprouted from his neck.


He did not just ask her to do that. She must've heard wrong.


"Come on Minerva, it'll just be for a couple of hours," Blake pleaded with his hands together, "and it'll only seem like a couple of minutes."


"Yeah, right." She rolled her eyes at him. "Sorry Blake; I'm not a kids type of person. I couldn't even stand myself as a child."


Blake Stone and Minerva Washington were having a conversation as they strolled through Riverside Park. Walking throughout the park wasn't an activity that they usually did, so Minerva found it suspicious when Blake asked her to in the first place. She presumed it was because he was going to ask her for a favor—whenever he had a request that had a high potential of being declined, he typically did out of the ordinary things in attempts to butter her up.


However this time, he didn't say or ask anything along the lines of a favor for a while; he acted as though he genuinely wanted to walk through the park with her. It put her in a good mood…but just when Minerva was about to feel guilty for suspecting his intentions, he proved her right.


"And what happens when we have our kids?" Blake's usual goofy smile appeared on his face. "All seven of them."


"I'm not having seven kids."


"Oh, yes you are."


Minerva ignored him and shook her head, continuing to walk down the path alongside of the pond. She was only able to make it a few feet before Blake darted in front in of her without warning. "Please, please, please? Help me out here."


"Blake, I'm not watching your little nephews.”


"What about all those favors I did for you?"


"What favors? Name one."


Blake thought about it for a moment and then snapped his fingers. "I dated you."


Minerva put her hands on her hips and frowned. "So you're saying that you're doing me a favor by dating me?"


"No and yes." When he saw Minerva's frown deepen, he tried to change his words. "What I meant was that I'm a fine specimen of man and that many ladies would love me...so technically, I'm doing you a favor by being with you...not that I would choose anyone else, because I actually like you..."


Minerva glared at him for a few seconds more before pushing him aside and walking past him. As she walked, she mumbled something under her breath about not understanding why she was with him. Of all the men on the planet, she had to choose him—the white goofball with a handsome face and sexy voice. Why, oh why, did she have to dance with him at that party? If only she’d danced with her friend instead, she would’ve never met him. She would’ve never given him her number and they wouldn’t never dated for four months. She would’ve had less stress in her life and she certainly wouldn’t be in this situation now.


But no…she just couldn’t resist that smile and those hunter green eyes. Even now, although the majority of her wanted to punch him in the throat, she felt the desire to give in to him too. If only to hear his rugged voice thank her and his strong arms wrap around her once more…


Damn! She could never let him know how much power he had over her.


Blake hit himself on the head and exhaled in frustration once he realized that his words weren't helping his plight, but rather making things worse. He was running out of time; he needed someone to watch his nephews for him. His sister was leaving town soon and he agreed to watch them for a few days until she came back. Recently, however, the band he played in was offered a gig at a party and he didn’t want to turn it down. It was only for one evening so he was sure that he could find someone to watch three kids for a couple of hours. However, when he’d asked everyone that he possibly could’ve, he found that they were all busy. Minerva was the only one free tomorrow evening.


"Minnie, please..." he started as he caught up with her, but was immediately shut down.


"You're wasting your breath, Blake; I'm not going to do it." She shook her head. "Besides, I already have one kid I’m dealing with, I don’t need another."


“What kid?”


“He looks and acts just like you. Take a wild guess.”


He gasped. “You’re pregnant?”


“…Jesus, give me the strength…”


"Come on, why won’t you do it? I never ask you for anything."


Minerva shot him a look. "That's a lie. You just asked me to cook for you two days ago."


"That's because I was hungry and you’re a great cook.” He paused in thought for a moment. “And you're a woman, so technically it's your job."


"Just when I think you can't dig a hole deeper than the one you're in, you manage to prove me wrong."


Blake let out another frustrated sigh and decided to try a different route. If begging and reasoning wouldn't work, maybe if he laid it on thick...


With his eyes toward the ground guiltily and a desperate look on his face, Blake stopped and took her hands in his. "Okay, I do ask you for a lot things…like help with my essays, to cook for me, to walk me to class, to support my band, to drive me to places when I’m too lazy to get behind the wheel myself, to sleep with me five times a week—by the way, I still wish you’d take that into consideration…”


“Your point?” Minerva rolled her eyes.


“My point? Oh, right! My point is that I ask for all that stuff because I’m basically nothing without you.”


“Really? I thought it was because you were lazy and horny.”


“That too.” He gave her a crooked smile. “But mostly because I need you. I can’t do too much of anything right without you near. You're my right hand, my better half; if I didn't have you I'd be a lonely, dysfunctional sociopath."


Minerva pretended to be touched. "Really?"


"Yes…so will you please watch my nephews for me?"


"Absolutely…not." Minerva snatched her hands out of his and shook her head again. "What part of no don't you understand? My mind is made up and not begging or lying to appeal to my emotions is going to change that."


“You saw right through that, huh?


“Let’s just say if you wanted to take up acting, I’d advise you not to quit your day job.”


Minerva started walking again, and with slumped shoulders, her boyfriend grudgingly followed. It looked like he’d have to turn down the gig after all…


Just when it seemed like he was going to be stuck watching his relatives, an idea popped into his head. His frown changed into a grin in a matter of seconds and he picked up his pace.


"What if I paid you?"


Minerva started to ask if he was hard of hearing, but she stopped herself at the sound of the word 'paid'. Money? That was a different story. Ever since she quit her last job, she hadn't been able to find another. Well, she actually had been able to find others, but she didn’t want to work in food service anymore—especially not in the campus cafeteria with all the greedy freshman.


As a consequence, money's been a little tight…and there was this new outfit in the mall that she just had to have...


"How much are we talking about?"


He grinned, knowing he'd got her attention. "It'll be worth your while."


Minerva nodded at that thought and let it marinate for another moment of so. It wouldn't be that bad. She didn’t really have any plans, so they wouldn’t be interrupting anything. And her roommate would be gone for the evening, partying until the break of dawn like she did every weekend. The kids would sleep or read while she watched a movie or caught up on some homework. She wouldn't really have to deal with them. It would only be a few hours and then Blake would return and pay her. That wouldn't be so bad.


"Are they good kids?"


"Of course; they're related to me."


Minerva sucked her teeth. "Then why can't you watch them?"


"That's just it. I would, but I’ve got a gig scheduled for tomorrow night and I don’t want to let the gang down. You know they sound like dying whales without their drummer," he explained briefly.


"Where are you guys playing?"


"Nowhere in particular.”


“You don’t know where you’re playing?”


“No, I know. It’s just some random party…” His voice trailed off as he tried to stay as vague as possible.


"What party?" she pressed, getting more suspicious by the second.


"Just a random party on campus, nothing special.”


“Who’s hosting it?”


Finding it impossible to avoid answering the question, he sighed and mentally prepared himself for the worst. “It’s Renee’s party.”


Minerva frowned once more and crossed her arms. "Renee? As in your ex-girlfriend Renee? The same one that told you she still had feelings for you? Blake, why in God’s name are you playing for her?"


“You just asked me four questions and I’m not sure which one you want answered.” When he saw the serious look in her eyes, he managed to suppress every part of his mind telling him to give a silly response. “Look, I’m just going to play for her party. She asked for me and the gang and I’d like to think it was because she actually likes the music our band makes. There’s no need to be suspicious; this is just a gig to me, nothing more.”


Minerva didn’t like the idea of her boyfriend playing for his ex; it bothered her more than she cared to admit. It was one of her weaknesses when it came to relationships; she was always the jealous one. She was also the one with the overactive imagination, so it wouldn’t be surprising if she imagined her boyfriend succumbing to his primitive desires whenever he was with someone else.


However, she’d witnessed Blake turn down females before, so he never did anything to encourage those feelings and thoughts. She still couldn’t help but to be jealous at times, but she did trust him.


She looked away. "So I'm supposed to watch your nephews, so that you could go to a wild party?"


"It's not going to be that wild."


"Come on now, I've been to one of Renee's parties before. They're borderline ridiculous and they get out of hand way too easily. It's going to start off nice and calm, everybody’s dancing and what not. The next thing you know you're going to be drunk off God knows what, in the middle of a food fight while several chicks try to dance all over you. And knowing you, you'll gladly let them while you try to throw food too."


"Is that what you're worried about?" Blake put his arm around her lovingly. "It’s cute that you're jealous…but seriously babe, you know I only have eyes for you."


She removed his arm. "Tell that to all those ladies that, apparently, would love you since you're such a fine specimen of man."


Blake chuckled for a moment, then cupped her face with his hands and kissed her on the forehead. "I don't have to, they already know."


Minerva rolled her eyes, but didn't push him away. It was times like this when she really hated how much she loved him; no matter what he did, she could never stay mad at him for long. Often times she acted the dominant one in the relationship, but it was mostly an act, easily influenced by Blake’s easy going nature. In actuality though, Blake was the one with all of the power. She’d do almost anything for him. She just didn’t want him to know it and take advantage of her.


The funny thing about it though, was that it seemed like Blake knew he was the one with the power at times, but he didn’t use it. Not outside of the bedroom anyway. It was as if he respected her enough to let her be in control the majority of the time. And that just made her love him all the more.


"You’re too corny for your own good."


"Look, there's no reason to worry. Chase will be with me the whole time and he’s the responsible one."


Minerva sucked her teeth once more. "If by responsible you mean forgetting to feed your pet fish and not even realizing they’re dead until the end of the school year then yeah, Chase is very responsible.”


"We're not even going to be there the whole time. One hour tops after we get through playing,” he said airily, not wanting to be nagged or to stay in a serious mood any longer. "I promise you, nothing is going to happen. So do we have a deal?"


Minerva looked reluctant, but in the end, shrugged. If anything went wrong at the party, she'd be scolding Blake, but in a new outfit.


"Fine."


"Thank you!" he said, a relieved expression on his face. “Now was that so hard?”


“Quite painful, actually.”


Blake grinned as he ran a hand through his hair and looked around, trying to locate where they’d parked. Now that his business was done, they could leave the park and do something more productive…like eat. His stomach growled at the thought of the burger, taco or slice of pizza that would soon be in his mouth.


Minerva glanced at his stomach. “I take it you’re ready to leave.”


“You know me so well.”


She took a look around and pointed in the general direction of where they parked. “The car is over there.”


Blake opened his mouth to say something, but Minerva didn’t wait around to hear it. She started walking away, leaving a slightly baffled Blake to wonder what state his girlfriend’s attitude was in. He thought she was in a good mood, but the fact that her pace was on the quicker side made him reconsider. It was definitely different from when they were first walking through the park; she seemed like she was enjoying herself when he hadn’t brought up the babysitting thing. He’d rather have a meal with that Minerva than the obviously troubled one now.


He thought to himself for a moment while watching her walk before deciding not to leave just yet. He caught up with her once more and grabbed her arm, forcing her to stop.


“Hey, wait up."


“What is it?”


"I just remembered, I have something else to talk to you about." When she opened her mouth to ask what again, he offered her a smile and turned her back in the opposite direction. "Let's walk and talk like before."


They started walking slowly, and after giving him several suspicious looks, Minerva questioned his motives. “What’s this about? It better not be another favor.”


“It’s not,” he assured her and put his arm around her again. “I just had a question about something you said earlier.”


“About the party?”


“No, about not having seven kids—we’re you serious? I know you say you’re not a kids type of person, but I want a big family. Can’t you take maternal instinct classes or something? Do those exist?”


Why, oh why, did she have to dance with him at that party?!






Chapter End Notes:

This story started off kind of slow, but I hope I was able to get at least one laugh out of you. If not, well, there's always the next chapter should you be willing to give me another chance. Thanks for reading!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.