Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader Jsilver2000

Summary: Tennessee had a previously hidden talent that drove the women in the rec room crazy; he drew attention, not only to his looks, but also to his singing. Then Tennessee discovered Uhura sings as well and found an opportunity to be close to her to by performing a duet for talent night. Kirk started to become jealous that Tennessee was grabbing all the attention, and McCoy was not helping.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Nyota beamed with excitement as she strolled to her quarters. She had never done a duet with a man before. Her mind was racing to find a song that would suit them both when she entered her quarters. She went straight to her computer, sat down with a smile on her face, and started searching through the history of love duets. There were many to choose from: fast, slow, opera, jazz, the list went on. Nyota took a deep breath and closed her eyes, remembering how Tennessee sounded in the rec room. His voice was rich and smooth, and the echo of his singing danced in her head. She quickly tapped in a song category and a list of thirty songs displayed on her monitor. Now she was at least in the ballpark; she took her time and read each song, studying them well into the night. At last, she made herself sleep so she would be ready for duty in the morning.

Tennessee was ecstatic about singing with Uhura; he felt his luck couldn't have been better. Finally, some time to really interact with Uhura-maybe even get a chance to date her. Plus he wanted to hear her sing; according to everyone, Uhura was an excellent performer and had people in awe. Tennessee was content for the first time in a long while.


The Enterprise crew went about its business.

Scotty had come to his wits' end with the countless women hiding in Engineering or interrupting Williams, who was just trying to do his job. The Engineering crew, in the beginning, thought it was funny how the female crew members would find ways to enter the department. Now it had become a nuisance; in just the past 24 hours, the women's appearances had increased. And now Scotty found himself in the briefing room with McCoy, Kirk, and Spock.

"Forgive me, Captain, but more women have been showing up in my department, and I don't know how to manage this situation with Williams."

McCoy gives Kirk a sly look, remembering what he told him last night about Williams.

"Have you tried putting him on different shifts?"

"Aye, and they still find ways to intercept him and interfere with his duties. The lad works and does a great job, but the lassies are interfering with our work!"

"I see your point, Scotty." Kirk turns to his other senior officers. "Any suggestions gentlemen?"

"Well, Jim, I would like to add my concern to Scotty's: in the past 24 hours, there's been an increase in accidents, primarily among the female crew," McCoy said.

"Really doctor?" Scotty asked.

"Yes, Mr. Scott. It has come to light that our Lt. Tennessee Williams the VI has a talent for singing, and the ladies swoon over him, drawing more distraction-or should I say more attention-to Williams."

"Singing?" Scotty bows his head, muttering something in Scottish under his breath.

"From what I have seen and heard, he sings quite well; he should have been a performer,." chuckles McCoy.

Kirk was annoyed that Williams was again the center of the conversation.
"Well, I'm glad you two find Williams' talents so fascinating; how can we keep the crew from interfering with Engineering?"

Spock had been listening to the conversation and was aware of Williams's ability to disconcert the female crew.

"Captain, may I make a suggestion?" The three men turned to Spock. "It will not solve all your problems, but we could require a security clearance for Mr. Scott's department, allowing only those with the proper identification to enter."

"Aye, I see your point, Mr. Spock, and I agree to it. Thank you, sir."

"I like the sound of that, Spock! That should eliminate your problem, Mr. Scott," Kirk commented.

"I will program the computer to provide security clearance for all Engineering personnel; it will be activated by the end of the day."

"Well, that solved Scotty's problem; what about mine?!" McCoy demanded to know.

Spock addressed his inquiry:

"Unfortunately, doctor, I am unable to prevent the female crew from observing or interacting with Lt. Williams. That is something only humans can solve among themselves."

The three men laughed at Spock's statement.

"We can't stop the crew from admiring the man or keep him from his job. In other words, Bones, you're on your own with figuring out a way to stop them from hurting themselves." Kirk said.

But after the officers left, Kirk folded his arms and brooded. He was still a bit jealous that female crew members actually hurt themselves trying to be near Williams. Do his eyes really have such an effect? Williams' magnetism was something Kirk couldn't compete with.


After duty, Nyota practically raced back to her quarters, bypassing her regular meeting with Spock. She notified him that she was busy on a personal project and would contact him later. Nyota continued searching for the perfect song to use on talent night; she wanted to be sure that Tennessee's voice was compatible with hers and the song. A couple hours later, she found a 20th-century song; she read the words over several times. Her heart leaped with ideas of how the song would be played. Then she looked at the music and several people came to mind. Spock was one of them.
Nyota sat and looked at the song: It was made for them! If Spock only understood how romantic the song really was- Would he understand? Nyota was aware that Tennessee was attracted to her, but she was not leading him on at all. No, she had not lost, waited for, and reconciled with Spock to gamble it all away on a misunderstanding of any sort.

The next thing to do was to notify Sulu that she and Tennessee would be doing a duet.

Then she needed to set up rehearsals with Tennessee, as well as with the musicians.

Time was against them; the show was less than three weeks away. She contacted the other musicians, and they agreed to support her.
She sent the song to Tennessee for his review and planned a rehearsal for practice.
Once that was done, she downloaded the sheet music onto her Padd and headed out to her bondmate's quarters, the word Spock likes to refer to their relationship. Nyota was excited that things were working out for the duet. She buzzed Spock's room and he answered;

"Greetings, Nyota"

As the door closed behind them, she reached up on her toes and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Good evening, Spock"

She grabbed one of his hands and led him to his two cushion chairs, and they both sat. Spock saw that her eyes were bright with excitement and her face was glowing.

"Spock! There is a talent show in about three weeks. Well, last night Charlene and I stumbled into the rec room. We noticed Lt. Williams singing, and everyone suggested that he and I do a duet for the talent show. I thought it was a good idea-I've never done a duet before. I found this song from the 20th century and I thought it would be great!"

Nyota passed her Padd to Spock so he could read the song. He looked at the Padd and both his eyebrows rose as he started to read. He stared at Nyota his future bondmate.

"Nyota, this song... is... amorous. It is meant to be between two lovers."

"I know! Isn't it great! I have the sheet music for you; I want you to play the music with two other musicians. Do you know how hard it is to find this kind of talent on this ship?!"

Spock saw the excitement in her face and eyes; he glanced down at the sheet music and lyrics. He was not pleased that Williams would be serenading his bondmate, but he did not want to disappoint her either. Spock took a deep breath;

"Is this what you wish, Nyota, to sing this song in front of others?"

Oh yes, Spock! I have never performed a duet, and I know the crew would like something different. Plus you would be there for the music rehearsals and the performance."

Spock found it a struggle to tamp down his jealousy over Williams, especially considering the senior officer reports he had heard earlier in the day. And then the phrase "bedroom eyes" popped into his head. But the reconciliation was there as well. Trust. Spock had to trust that there was nothing between Nyota and Williams; he had learned from his last mistake. He looked into her eyes and responded:

"Nyota, if this is what you wish, I will perform the music for you."

Nyota jumped up and hugged him.

"Thank you, darling! I'm so excited! Now I have to confirm with Williams."

With that, Nyota left. Spock had been unable to say anything else. How could he? He did not want to take away something that she enjoyed and start another conflict. He looked down at the Padd and the words to the song-it was so intimate. He now has another battle to contend with.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.