Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Janice POV:

Janice still had hope in her relationship with Kirk, in time she healed from the assault that happened months before. They started talking as friends again, she tried to put the alter-ego Kirk in the back of her mind, could she give him another chance with friendship possible relationship? Janice took one day at a time, she couldn't figure him out anymore. He would distance himself like she wasn't there, then flirt with her. She was still assigned as the Captain's personal yeoman, for now, for how long? She couldn't tell. She could only tell Nyota, the only friend she had, she liked Hikaru but only as a friend. There in her quarters, she shared her concerns with Nyota:

"I don't get Nyota, one minute he's flirting, the next he's distant, and I just don't know what to make of it."

"Listen Janice, from female to female; it's the job. Kirk is into his job. Just from observing him on the bridge. It's a lot, you have to remember that."

Janice took a deep breath and thought that Nyota is right, Kirk has a lot of responsibilities maybe he doesn't have time for her.

"Maybe your right, I'm looking to far into this, I mean.... I know there's something there."

"What do you mean?"

"Like I feel there's another woman, someone else he's seeing, I feel like I am competing with another woman."

"Someone on this ship? Do you really think that?"

"I don't know, just don't know. But I believe whoever it is, she has a stronger hold on him than I do. I'm just a yeoman."

"Janice stop, you are more than that, you're one of the best at your job, and you are the only one who is closest to the captain than Spock."

Janice looked at Nyota and hoped that she is right. But her gut feeling is that there is another woman and Janice wondered who she is.

"Let's see what happens next may be your right, it could be his job."

 


The Enterprise's next mission took them to Earth-type planet where the children never aged. Rand was assigned as part of the landing party. It was a test of her character, she participated in every area of her job and duty. She even ignored Kirk flirting with Miri, she stayed focus and gave her interpretation of their situation. Everything was fine until the landing party started to develop lesions on their skin, time was against them. Tempers were flaring at every turn, frustrations broke out among them and the fear of death coming within days living on the planet.

Janice couldn't take it anymore, the opportunity to be with Kirk was shrinking away each minute. He will never know how she felt about him or Kirk about her. She found herself ugly that a post-puberty child was more sexier than herself. She looked at the multi-colored lesions spread all over her body, Janice had become overwhelmed with fear and rejection from the one person she desired and couldn't have. Janice thought about the other women, and wondered about her identity but nothing compare what Kirk was doing in front of her flirting, it was driving her crazy.

Then it happened: It was there in the lab, she was helping McCoy and Spock the best she could, she's not a scientist or even a nurse! She couldn't look at Kirk anymore, her nerves were raw, so when he bumped into her it was the last straw, she screamed in anger:

"No! No! No!"

Janice ran out of the lab room, crying, she leaned up against the wall away from him, she knew Kirk had followed her. She felt Kirk behind her:

"I'm upset, so upset." She turned to Kirk and ripped her uniform at the shoulder and expose the increasing lesions.

She faced Kirk and revealed her raw feeling crying exposing herself:

"Back on the ship, I used to try to get you to look at my legs."

With tear streaked down her face, sniffing her nose: "Captain, look at my legs"

Kirk slowly drifted his eyes to her legs and not only did he saw her nicely shaped legs but the spread of the lesion as well. She tried to cover them up with her hand. Kirk reached for her hand and drew her body into a hug of comfort.

"We're all frightened"

Janice for that brief moment she felt wanted and loved in the arms of the man she desired. It was just a moment in time, it was the fear.

 


Kirk's POV:

Janice felt so good to hold, only that it was brief, her flesh against mine. It felt real and I wish I can keep her. It won't work, I can't have both, my beach life is almost gone, just a long-distance dream that I have. Kirk had to get back to work saving themselves from death.

When we found a cure for the virus and return to our duties on the ship. Janice stood next to me, talking about the children and the services they would need. Then she brought up Miri, that sweet little girl, I knew she had a crush on me and I used my charms to make her do things for our safety. And I joked about her that she was too old for me.

I find myself looking at Janice, and there is no joke about her, I couldn't have her either no matter how much I wanted too. Enterprise took care of that, there goes my walk on the beach, gone forever. She's the other woman, and I can not pass her by, my relationship with her is so deep to let go.

That's the only thing I have that she allowed me to use, My charm. Enterprise used me as a front to get things done. I feel like a slave to her, but I don't have the strength to leave her, I'm starting to trust Spock and Scotty, more Scotty. He acted like he saw her more than Spock does, to him Enterprise is a tool a real vessel. But for Scotty and I, it's real in his way; but she's real to me because I see her. Enterprise has us both doing her bidding, sitting at her feet. We both love her, there is nothing we wouldn't do for her, it's sickening! But we both work for Enterprise interest, to win her heart, love her unconditionally. I've been spending a lot of time within her presence, that I almost forget about Janice.

Enterprise stood and strutted around me; "Kirk, you don't talk about your special friend much?"

"She has her duties and I have mine"

"Darling, you can be with her if you desire, don't let me stop you. You are a man with needs."

"I don't want Scotty to be alone with you."

Enterprise laughed at his accusation:" Where is this coming from?" She bent down to his face; "Darling I'm not real."

Kirk balled his fist in frustration; "Yes you are! I need you, I told you before I'm in love with you!"

Enterprise gave him a sad look, pivoted and strolled away and said snarlingly; "Sure you are darling, sure you are."

Kirk had made up his mind he had to fight it, and thought it's another test, she's giving him another test of his loyalty. How many times does he have to prove himself? Kirk takes a deep breath and left for his next mission."I have to distance myself from Janice, I have to spurn her for Enterprise's sake."


His next mission proved that and their duties proved it too. Kirk ignored Janice the best he could, he had to treat as the rest and always out of reach. His proof came in the sexy beautiful form of Lenore Karidian. When she stepped on the bridge in mini fur dress, the men stared at her beauty, Uhura saw Kirk's eyes light up and smile widen like a Cheshire cat. Kirk had managed for the acting company to perform and the Enterprise escorted the theater troop to their next destination. When Janice saw the flaming young beauty, she was done in, she knew it was the beginning of the end of any opportunity to be with Kirk. She kept whatever pride she had left and gone back to work.

Kirk did it on purpose, Janice had to leave his life to have a life with her! It didn't matter who he charmed or used. But Lenore was almost the death of him, and many others. But Kirk did it.

Enterprise laid in her chaise and smiled; "Kirk you are something else, you really want to prove your love for me." She picked up her goblet and toasted.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

Star Trek TOS: Miri

Conscience of the King

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.